E9lnYUU (resized).jpg
20160902_030341 (resized).jpg
IMG_4259 (resized).JPG
LOTR_O-R-C_Multipiers_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
CaptureKISS_(resized).JPG
Capture_(resized).JPG
whatcha-gonna-code_(resized).png

There are 1,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.
#951 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

They have 6 programmers - (Lyman, Lonnie, Dwight, Waison, Tanio and Mike.)

I thought Mike was long gone? Am I wrong?

#952 7 years ago

I was hoping we would have got at least one game with a code update for Xmas.
All I wanted for Christmas was a GOT update.

#953 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

All I wanted for Christmas was a GOT update.

They did technically give us one, all it did was fix a few bugs though.

#954 7 years ago

Well, there is always next year, or the year after.

#955 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The license is up - ST is no longer being produced. Stern did a "last call" a few months ago with the distros. That doesn't mean new code wont come. Look at Avengers with code this year!

Just a little surprised. I don't understand why a business wouldn't finish off a product to help drive one last push. It does make me wonder how many premiums really exist now. I assume not many.

#956 7 years ago
Quoted from bpeed99:

Just a little surprised. I don't understand why a business wouldn't finish off a product to help drive one last push. It does make me wonder how many premiums really exist now. I assume not many.

I agree - it seems like what will happen is that NIB sales are going to decline since people won't be willing to shell out cash due to the risk of having an unfinished product. In the past you could assume that they would finish the code within a year or two and you'd at least end up with a complete game. At this point it appears the strategy has shifted to only investing resources into making a product barely acceptable for market, upgrade it once or twice and then move on. It's disgusting really when you look at the price of the toy and have the expectation for a premium product and then realize you have a half completed game worth 60% of what you paid originally. I think in the future you're going to see people only purchasing games where Lyman is on the code and Lonnie games will just sell to noobs only that aren't aware at how his games never end up getting completed.

#957 7 years ago

Agreed, STLE and IMVE were the last NIB from me. That's been close to 3 years.

Since Stern has given up finishing the code I have given up buying NIB from Stern.

Since that time I've only bought games after the code was complete

#958 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Agreed, STLE and IMVE were the last NIB from me. That's been close to 3 years.
Since Stern has given up finishing the code I have given up buying NIB from Stern.
Since that time I've only bought games after the code was complete

Metallica and TWD both have complete code and are both great games. I too have largely given up on NIB first release games. I picked up a NIB TWD prem a year ago and I just picked up a met pro nib a few weeks ago. I will never ever buy nib first run. I got burned on avengers, bought xmen after code was mature and bought IMve, which was a proven game.

I'd like to own a GB and maybe a GOT, but that's not happening right now given all the issues.

#959 7 years ago

I had cash in hand to buy a a new game after I sold GB but nothing happened. Vault editions, overpriced editions, raising prices for all levels got me out.

#960 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I had cash in hand to buy a a new game after I sold GB but nothing happened. Vault editions, overpriced editions, raising prices for all levels got me out.

I have budget for 2-3 new games per year, but I've been just holding onto that cash lately, Ghostbusters LE aside. I played GB before release, and its initial code was good for a launch code, so I went ahead and bought the game. While I still really like the game, they've done a piss poor job supporting it after launch. All that has been added is a video mode that's clumsily shoehorned in, adjustments, and very minor tweaks to scores and awards. They have literally added more bugs to the game than features since launch.

For 2017, I'm buying a Dialed In. I preordered an LE from PinballSTAR. It's going to take Stern a long time to earn back my trust. Code laziness, quality control, cost cutting, and business practices have all pushed me out.

#961 7 years ago

Perhaps the code issue is a result of Stern attempting too many new titles.

I don't understand why they seem bent on releasing so many.

#962 7 years ago

GOT sure seems done to me. Unless there's some bugs that need fixing don't see what more you'd want out of the code.

#963 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I have budget for 2-3 new games per year...
For 2017, I'm buying a Dialed In....

Yeah I have less than that so do get a new game I gotta sell a new one...I'd actually love to get a Dialed in but agian, those are really pricey for me.

#964 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

GOT sure seems done to me. Unless there's some bugs that need fixing don't see what more you'd want out of the code.

Its a bit light on callouts yet. Otherwise, its a very good pin. One of my all time favorites. Just needs a little more to make it great!

#965 7 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

Its a bit light on callouts yet. Otherwise, its a very good pin. One of my all time favorites. Just needs a little more to make it great!

Cool. I mean I've been all the way through it, won iron throne etc. it's pretty complete

There's always room to add something but you gotta pull the rip cord sometime. Unless you are george lucas I guess.

#966 7 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

What do you think of the light show? I personally find it obnoxious. The rules and flow are great. I wish there was a way to turn off the constant strobe gasm.

#967 7 years ago

Lights seem fine to me. I mean, it's a Stern...people complaining 1 obnoxious lighting job is more obnoxious than the other obnoxious lighting confuses me.

#968 7 years ago

Some don't care for lighting on GoT, WIC hurry ups etc. I actually enjoy it. It's distracting and hard to keep track on the ball at times and fitting for what they were trying to accomplish. I like the blizzard effect and the over the top show on BW multi ball.

But if it bothers you, I understand that as well. We all have our preferences right? Does the adjustment setting help enough to tone it down for you to still enjoy it fattdirk?

Rules and flow are fantastic. It's a rush.
The pin actually got me into the show and I love that now too. But after watching it, and hearing all the great lines that could be included in the pin, I hope Dwight can fill in a few spots that really could use some additional audio added.

#969 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Cool. I mean I've been all the way through it, won iron throne etc. it's pretty complete
There's always room to add something but you gotta pull the rip cord sometime. Unless you are george lucas I guess.

I'd like to see the video mode improved upon.

#970 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'd like to see the video mode improved upon.

Taking it out would be a vast improvement. Does anyone actually play it?

#971 7 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I agree with you. As it sits it is terrible. I normally enjoy video modes (DW, FT, BSD) and feel they add to the game experience but that is just not the case with GoT.

#972 7 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

As time has gone on, the mystery awards as a whole get used a ton less; I almost always pass on them. IF you 're having a big game and you're looking points, and IF you happend to hit that and get a multiplied Video Mode, you MIGHT take it just to add pionts.

#973 7 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

The pin actually got me into the show and I love that now too. But after watching it, and hearing all the great lines that could be included in the pin, I hope Dwight can fill in a few spots that really could use some additional audio added.

I gave a big dissertation on this in the GOT improvement thread:

For me, the biggest thing I'd like to see is more callouts and audio clues from the show. What makes a game truly immersive (at least for me) is the light show, and the audio. The lighting on this game is already great, especially on the premium / LE. The flashing white lighting in the winter is coming hurry up perfectly creates the feeling of a snowstorm (I should know living in Alberta, Canada). It can mess with your shots but that is what's so cool about it - it adds a challenge and makes you feel like you are in the cold north of Westeros. The color changing inserts (eg extra ball, blackwater) also kick ass. And the lighting on the castle is awesome too. What remains lacking is the callouts from the show. IMO, some of the best games as far as immersion go are LOTR, Tron, Spider-man. You feel like you are a part of the world of that game because the game constantly gives you audio feedback. For example, when you hit Green Goblin in SM, he either cackles in laughter or talks shit to you. Same for Sandman grunting or chatting with Peter. Or Doc Oc. In LOTR, each character you collect for FOTR says something. When you start TTT Sarumon gives his epic callout ("to WAR!"). When you have a timer running, Frodo or Gimli make you feel the pressure of the shot. In destroy the ring, the callouts between Gollum and Frodo make you feel like you are on the edge of Mt. Doom over the lava fighting over the ring. Same with the callouts for Tron.

All of these games are great at making you feel like you are in the world of the game.i And isn't that what we really want when we play a licensed pinball game - to pretend that we are in that world?

That's what is missing from GOT. There are a million great lines from the show. Ones that would make you feel like you are in Westeros. So just like when you collect a fellowship member in LOTR and that character says something, why not have the character say something when you start or are in a house? The callouts in this respect are Tyrion (once!) for Martel, and Arya when playing the Stark mode. Both of these sound awesome, but they also show how barren the other modes are. For example, when starting Greyjoy, you see images of Theon, but he says nothing. Same in the mode. Nothing for Tyrell. Nothing for Baratheon. Nothing for Lannister. Nothing during Martel mode.

How cool would it be to hear the Viper talking shit to the Mountain in Martel mode?
"Have they told you who I am?"
"I am the brother of Elia Martel"
"Do you know why I have come all they way to this stinking shit pile of a city?... For you."
"I am going to hear you confess before you die"
"Say it."
"You raped her! You murdered her! you killed her children!" - ok maybe this last one is too much, but it is an epic line.
"Say her name! Say it!"

Or some banter between Jamie and Bronn as they save Jamie's daughter:
"That would have been a shit way to die"
"As far as I've seen they are all shit ways to die"
"Two knights off to save a princess"
"Morning lads! Glad we found you."
"Swords in the sand, Now!"
"That one should be slow enough"

Or dialogue from Theon as he takes Winterfell:
"You all know me!"
"My father has donned the ancient crown of salt and rock. And declared himself king of the iron islands"
"He claims the north as well by right of conquest"
"Betray me and you wish you hadn't"
"Send a raven to Pyke informing my father of my victory here."
Same shit with Baratheon and Tyrell.
Also, some kick ass comments from John Snow, Lord Mormont, and others at the wall during Wall MB.

Lastly, I know the White Walkers don't talk much, but some sound fx during Winter has Come would top that mode of perfectly.

While you don't want non stop blabbing, you can priortize some speech over others (eg if two modes are running). Also, you could do a sound callout for the first shot to each house (like in Martel already), then no callouts for the next two shots, but then have callouts for each successful shot IN the mode.

IMO this would make the game outstanding.

#974 7 years ago

For those commenting about the GOT light show....

I added 2 spotlights to the same posts that have the flashers, powered by the coin door light so it is always on. This flattens the lighting somewhat, and cuts the strobing of things like WIC. So you are still getting the effect, but with the 2 spots on facing the playfield, it is easier on the eyes.

#975 7 years ago

"That's what is missing from GOT. There are a million great lines from the show. Ones that would make you feel like you are in Westeros. So just like when you collect a fellowship member in LOTR and that character says something, why not have the character say something when you start or are in a house? The callouts in this respect are Tyrion (once!) for Martel, and Arya when playing the Stark mode. Both of these sound awesome, but they also show how barren the other modes are. For example, when starting Greyjoy, you see images of Theon, but he says nothing. Same in the mode. Nothing for Tyrell. Nothing for Baratheon. Nothing for Lannister. Nothing during Martel mode."

I agree that GOT could use more call-outs. But, you left out several that I hear quite frequently at the beginning of house modes.
"We do not sow"
"We do not kneel"
"We take what is ours"
"The red viper of Dorne. You must be deadly to have a name like that, right?"

And of course the awesome "Blackwaterrrrr, Multiballlll!"

#976 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

"That's what is missing from GOT. There are a million great lines from the show

It's the same thing that is missing from Avengers. It's soo frustrating. I have SM, IM and AV all sitting in a row in my gameroom. You play SM and get immersed in the game with the sounds, music, call outs and Doc Oc multiball. Then you move over to IM, with sound bytes from the movie, music, and Jerricho multiball - again, an immersive experience. Then onto Avengers and you're like "Captain America!" - what the hell? You hear some call outs from Thor but can't place them, and then Hulk has a few good moments. You leave the game like - was that from the movie? Ok.

I'm sorry, Stern has gotten cheap. They don't want to pay for sounds clips from the studios for some reason. So much content in GOT like AV, and I'm just not convinced they plan to create the immersive experience because they are finding the cheap way out. I feel like I'm buying an Avenger pinball machine that's a knock off from China. It looks good but the guts are all wrong. That's how call outs are being treated. Sad, really.

#977 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

It's the same thing that is missing from Avengers. It's soo frustrating. I have SM, IM and AV all sitting in a row in my gameroom. You play SM and get immersed in the game with the sounds, music, call outs and Doc Oc multiball. Then you move over to IM, with sound bytes from the movie, music, and Jerricho multiball - again, an immersive experience. Then onto Avengers and you're like "Captain America!" - what the hell? You hear some call outs from Thor but can't place them, and then Hulk has a few good moments. You leave the game like - was that from the movie? Ok.
I'm sorry, Stern has gotten cheap. They don't want to pay for sounds clips from the studios for some reason. So much content in GOT like AV, and I'm just not convinced they plan to create the immersive experience because they are finding the cheap way out. I feel like I'm buying an Avenger pinball machine that's a knock off from China. It looks good but the guts are all wrong. That's how call outs are being treated. Sad, really.

Add TWD to the list, huge disappointment there aren't clips from the show. Luckily, there are some really great pinsiders that took it upon themselves to write some code with sound clips, makes it a whole lot better.

#978 7 years ago

So....apparently Stern has gone on record and said they hope to provide code updates for BM66 about every 2 weeks until they "get it right". Not sure what that means other than keep the folks that paid $10-15K happy so they will line up to buy the next one.

I hope they deliver on that but I see them falling short after a couple of updates. The run is gonna be extremely small with 80 SLE AND 240 LE. Sounds like premiums are already being built as well so it will be on to the next game which is probably Aerosmith. Would expect that to be officially announced around Feb/March in time for TPF.

We will see how committed to code Stern is with BM66.....

Still waiting for the BIG Kiss code to drop....

#979 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

So....apparently Stern has gone on record and said they hope to provide code updates for BM66 about every 2 weeks until they "get it right". Not sure what that means other than keep the folks that paid $10-15K happy so they will line up to buy the next one.
I hope they deliver on that but I see them falling short after a couple of updates. The run is gonna be extremely small with 80 SLE AND 240 LE. Sounds like premiums are already being built as well so it will be on to the next game which is probably Aerosmith. Would expect that to be officially announced around Feb/March in time for TPF.

If the only way to get decent and regular code support Stern is to pay wildly inflated prices...well, that's just SUPER COOL, isn't it?

#980 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Add TWD to the list, huge disappointment there aren't clips from the show. Luckily, there are some really great pinsiders that took it upon themselves to write some code with sound clips, makes it a whole lot better.

Speaking of TWD, isn't the reason ColorDMD hasn't released it that Stern told them they had another big code update coming? It's been about a year since TWD had a code update (don't get me wrong, TWD code is amazing, but I would like to get colorDMD for it made available so I hope they either drop the final polish or announced it finished)...

#981 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I call total BS. What, I have to be in on a $10-15K machine to get code updates. What about all the people who spend $5K? What do we get? Ghosted inserts. Fuck you Stern. Treat all customers and games equally and you might get my future business.

#982 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Only a couple of hundred folks pay 10K, 80 pay more and vast majority pay 8500! Stern need the 8500 machines to shift more than any others!

Neil.

#983 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

What about all the people who spend $5K?

Those were the days

#984 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Speaking of TWD, isn't the reason ColorDMD hasn't released it that Stern told them they had another big code update coming? It's been about a year since TWD had a code update (don't get me wrong, TWD code is amazing, but I would like to get colorDMD for it made available so I hope they either drop the final polish or announced it finished)...

Not sure about that. I consider TWD 99% done, horde light is only thing I can think of that needs fixing. I too would like to see a color dmd for TWD.

#985 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Only a couple of hundred folks pay 10K, 80 pay more and vast majority pay 8500! Stern need the 8500 machines to shift more than any others!
Neil.

Not really. Game is profitable if zero Premiums sell. Prems are just extra gravy at this point.

#986 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

So....apparently Stern has gone on record and said they hope to provide code updates for BM66 about every 2 weeks until they "get it right"

Ha - Yeah right!!

#987 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not really. Game is profitable if zero Premiums sell. Prems are just extra gravy at this point.

how do you get that? We don't know what they are paying for the license, or the running costs of the factory etc...

Neil.

1 week later
#988 7 years ago

New batman code promised every 2 weeks. Been 2 weeks, no code. How's that comittment Stern?

Stay tuned!!

#989 7 years ago

The funny thing I just noticed about this thread, is that in 20 pages, #Jared only posted twice- post #1 and #2. Either this is the same Jared from Subway, as he is apparently unavailable for comment in the past year, or, more realistically, another load of typical Stern "stay tuned" BS. They simply don't care about the collectors' market, aren't listening, and don't want any more money from a lot of us, just that simple

#990 7 years ago
Quoted from metal-mods:

Either this is the same Jared from Subway, as he is apparently unavailable for comment in the past year,

Jared was a member here and then got a job with Stern and promptly disappeared. Like most peopl ethat end up gettign a job in the industry.

EDIT: I believe he was last seen ranting online aboot some bbq sauce or something like that.

#992 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Jared was a member here and then got a job with Stern and promptly disappeared. Like most peopl ethat end up gettign a job in the industry.

Jared's a good dude who means well. Unfortunately, as I've been saying for years - Stern does not know marketing.

Big mistake to go on social media touting commitment to code and then never hear from them again on the subject. You made a customer promise and then houdini trick. Disappear.

I honestly believe Jared meant well and was likely told to be quiet by Stern.

#993 7 years ago

Stern has abandoned us on enough code issues now that I have simply voted with my wallet. No more new Stern games for me. Actually no JJP game this time around with the ridiculous pricing and theme.

#994 7 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Stern has abandoned us on enough code issues now that I have simply voted with my wallet. No more new Stern games for me. Actually no JJP game this time around with the ridiculous pricing and theme.

IMG_2680 (resized).JPGIMG_2680 (resized).JPG

#995 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Jared's a good dude who means well. Unfortunately, as I've been saying for years - Stern does not know marketing.
Big mistake to go on social media touting commitment to code and then never hear from them again on the subject. You made a customer promise and then houdini trick. Disappear.
I honestly believe Jared meant well and was likely told to be quiet by Stern.

This is quite obviously the case. Jared understands the gripes of the pinside community and there is no way he would just abandon that thread under his own direction.

2 weeks later
#996 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

FYI. This thread was started when he was already with Stern.

Quoted from TheLaw:

EDIT: I believe he was last seen ranting online aboot some bbq sauce or something like that.

True story -

#997 7 years ago

Rumors are that Aerosmith is coming out with pretty robust code. Ghostbusters had good launch code, but it's been weak after launch. Still, seeing two out of the last three games launch with much better code than usual is nice. While the post launch support has been awful, at least launch code is coming out a bit more mature out of the gate. Yeah, yeah, Batman...but that entire project is just a joke. Two mainline releases in a row have launched to 1.0+ code if the Aerosmith reports are true.

I think everybody will be more patient with slower releases if that launch code is a legit 1.0 or higher at launch. I'm starting to come around to the idea that it's only fair to expect one or the other; near complete at launch and maintenance releases from there, or basic code at launch with aggressive updates until it's mature.

#998 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from 85vett:

-True story -

LOL, oh my! I think if I had made a video as ridiculous as that, I would hide for over a year as well.. I can't wait to see if he shows up at TPF this year! I'll be sure to offer him some Chick-Fil-A nuggets and watch the circus begin!

#999 7 years ago

what a goober

4 months later
#1000 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

what a goober

Agree. Hows that commitment to code coming along? Batman66, Kiss etc...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 1,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-stern-and-commitment-to-code-releases/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.