E9lnYUU (resized).jpg
20160902_030341 (resized).jpg
IMG_4259 (resized).JPG
LOTR_O-R-C_Multipiers_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
CaptureKISS_(resized).JPG
Capture_(resized).JPG
whatcha-gonna-code_(resized).png

There are 1,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.
#901 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have no idea. I couldn't even make it thru 10 seconds of his rant.
But somebody had posted it another thread so I figured if everybody wanted to know what Stern's spokesman in regards to code updates was up to, this would be the place to leave it.

That's seriously Stern's head of PR and marketing?

#902 7 years ago

Barbecue sauce < pinball code.

Rob

#903 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

People need to be careful in this day and age. Some lose their jobs over the shit they say or do online.

Rob

#904 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

People need to be careful in this day and age. Some lose their jobs over the shit they say or do online.
Rob

He obviously posted the video under a pseudonym, but makes no effort to hide his identity or to not make it seem like he suffered a botched lobotomy ...

So one has to imagine that he is a known quantity within the company ... but given the video and the manifold patently dire aspects of PR at Stern, it does rather beg the question of what in the hell the management are thinking?

It fits the image of the heavy handedness and recent sheer lunacy of their handling of PR and some marketing drives. Consistency is maintained.

Also, whilst a lot of people don't seem to like Jody, no wonder he's the public face of PR and any social media stuff. Don't think I've ever seen video of Jared at a function or on video, and that's most likely not a coincidence.

#905 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Looks like he's moved on to more pressing matters.
» YouTube video

I wonder if Jared gets this angry deleting Stern FB comments?

#906 7 years ago

Shame he doesn't show the same passion towards code updates.

#907 7 years ago

Proposed answer:

Quoted from rubberducks:

He obviously posted the video under a pseudonym, but makes no effort to hide his identity

Quoted from Deez:

Why's he posting on a fake account?

Jared did not post this Video on Youtube; he posted it on Facebook for his audience. It was meant as a joke. But it was reposted elsewhere as a public video by someone else - probably by one of his FB "friends". Taken out of context, you can imagine how damaging effect it can be. Take it for what it is: a joke that was not meant to be reposted on Youtube.

#908 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

No he does their social media... Jody is head of marketing and licensing.

#909 7 years ago

10 months after this thread was created Stern's commitment to code seems very low

#910 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Jared did not post this Video on Youtube; he posted it on Facebook for his audience. It was meant as a joke. But it was reposted elsewhere as a public video by someone else - probably by one of his FB "friends". Taken out of context, you can imagine how damaging effect it can be. Take it for what it is: a joke that was not meant to be reposted on Youtube.

How do you know he didn't post it using a fake account on youtube? The account has no other videos on it.

#911 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

10 months after this thread was created Stern's commitment to code seems very low

For those of you going to the Stern Party on Friday at Expo, hit up Gary early and often about lack of code updates. Put him on the spot to answer why, despite stating that game code will get completed, we haven't seen anything.

#912 7 years ago

does anyone have a specific list of all realistic code updates needed for games in the past few years?

I would like to have it on hand for questions.

#913 7 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

For those of you going to the Stern Party on Friday at Expo, hit up Gary early and often about lack of code updates. Put him on the spot to answer why, despite stating that game code will get completed, we haven't seen anything.

Yeah ... over 2 years ago Lyman had a list of stuff to do to complete AC/DC. Tumbleweed.

18 months ago was Star Trek's last update, despite several mode bugs, gamebreaking wizard bugs and some final polish needed. Lyman and Dwight supposedly looking how to fix things, months ago. Tumbleweed.

KISS. Talk of total rewrite and wave of updates before last update 6 months ago. Very poor state. Nothing since. Tumbleweed.

WWE. Talk of total rewrite and wave of updates before update early this year. Poor state, still many totally missing 'featured' wrestlers on both Pro and LE, half done modes and often barely there DMD stuff. Tumbleweed.

GoT ... mostly done, but still in real need of fleshing out the DMD and some bug squashing. Nearly 6 months since last update. Tumbleweed.

#914 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

How do you know he didn't post it using a fake account on youtube? The account has no other videos on it.

Jared Guynes11 hours ago
Hey Youtube! I was just informed my facebook video was ripped and uploaded to youtube, so here it is I guess! LOL. I guess I should have uploaded it to my own channel. Anyways, I deliberately acted in a way that would increase my odds of views (at the sacrifice of my dignity, sadly) but I am happy to report that my scheme has worked, and the video has been viewed 30,000+ times in 24 hours across facebook and youtube. Anyways, if we get the original sauce back, my plan will not be so stupid after-all. Trust me, had I been calm, quiet and mature... none of you would have ever seen the video. Love you guys, and and thanks for the kind comments. -Jared

#915 7 years ago

Oh Yeah, STERN fix the GD code for KISS, STAR TREK, GHOSTBUSTERS, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect

#916 7 years ago

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#917 7 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Jared Guynes11 hours ago
Hey Youtube! I was just informed my facebook video was ripped and uploaded to youtube, so here it is I guess! LOL. I guess I should have uploaded it to my own channel. Anyways, I deliberately acted in a way that would increase my odds of views (at the sacrifice of my dignity, sadly) but I am happy to report that my scheme has worked, and the video has been viewed 30,000+ times in 24 hours across facebook and youtube. Anyways, if we get the original sauce back, my plan will not be so stupid after-all. Trust me, had I been calm, quiet and mature... none of you would have ever seen the video. Love you guys, and and thanks for the kind comments. -Jared

Yep, that's Jared... "Carnival Barker" to the core. PT Barnum would be proud.

IMG_0534.JPGIMG_0534.JPG

#918 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I wonder if Jared gets this angry deleting Stern FB comments?

It looks like the other pinside thread about this video got deleted, like so many facebook posts.....

Edit- sent to the basement and locked.

#919 7 years ago

I guess we really shouldn't be upset with Jared. He's just another pawn working for Stern. It's not his fault that stern sucks at producing a finished product.

#920 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I guess we really shouldn't be upset with Jared. He's just another pawn working for Stern. It's not his fault that stern sucks at producing a finished product.

#921 7 years ago

Bump!

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

1 month later
#922 7 years ago

Man thanks for the commitment to code Stern! Really appreciate it!! Oh wait.. that's right - that was just lip service. Thanks for nothing!

2 weeks later
#923 7 years ago

Thanks for the thanksgiving code! Much appreciated

#924 7 years ago

This time next week it will be 3 months since Jared last logged into Pinside, the most frustrating thing about Sterns recent lack of care towards code is that its a really simple thing to manage, a simple "we are working on code for .......... and expect it to be complete and drop to you guys between the months of ....... and ......".

That would make a lot of people so much happier, providing they actually came through with it of course lol, but a 2 month code release window would be great and if its a month behind then just saying that and keeping customers informed instead of in the dark would keep buyers happy and returning for more NIBs, instead we have the situation where more and more people are refusing to buy NIBs until code updates become more of a priority or code is completed, possibly years after release.

Help yourselves Stern and communicate a little using your "social media" department, will help you, it will help us as buyers and as whole it will help sustain pinball for longer and that's surely something we all want!?

3 weeks later
#925 7 years ago

How's that commitment coming

#926 7 years ago

Well, they did just fix a bug with the ticket dispenser in GOT today.

#927 7 years ago

Maybe someone should post a "response" video... about the commitment to code completition... post it on FB and Utube.
Get angry... preface it that you love the machines... then launch into a rant.

I like Jared in general. He's always been a good guy at TPF.
I can't blame him for mock ranting ... he's a human being after all.
What I don't like is that "we" are attacking the guy personally because he's the social lead for Stern. Doesn't he have the right to a division of work/life? Just sad that we really think it's "OK" to hold his personal views in concert with his professional life.

His passions are his right and they don't have to be part of the Stern code issues.

#928 7 years ago

I don't think anyone is angry at Jared. I'm not. He posted this bullshit thread acting as a mouthpiece for Stern which makes me believe he was authorized to say it. That being said, Stern is full of shit about committing to the code which turns this thread into complete irony.

#929 7 years ago

Being just over a year since this thread was started, I think it's abundantly clear that Stern are committed to the current status quo.

That is, frequently very lacklustre or completely abandoned support of many of their games that sorely need it.

We've only really had GB this year, with SM being a Vault Edition and Pabst being a reskin of Whoa Nellie. BM '66 isn't going to make it until '17 and will likely share a lot of code with BMtDK. Yet things have gotten worse. Supposedly they want to go back to a higher cadence of new games next year ... one can only wonder how bad it will ultimately get.

#930 7 years ago

Well....it worked for Jared......the BBQ sauce is back I believe.

It's pretty evident the only commitment Stern has to code is just enough to get a working game out the door and money in the bank.

As others have said...Don't shoot the messenger which is all that Jared is.

It's important to keep threads like this active. It's one of the few ways to let Stern know how we feel. If features are supposed to be in a game but not coded, non functional, buggy, etc. it would be nice to know they will be addressed.

Until sales slump I don't see improvement in the time it takes to update code.

Keep #Where'sThe Code alive in 2017!!!

#931 7 years ago

I bought GB and it is a good game. Still with all the code issues and quality control, my next purchase will probably be Dialed In. I have never played it and I allow myself one new game a year and I think it may be time to move on from stern for a while.
We have a Woz but my wife does not like wide bodies but dialed in or if someone produces wooly maybe the answer.

Stern is starting to losing one more nib buyer.

#932 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

We have a Woz but my wife does not like wide bodies but dialed in or if someone produces wooly maybe the answer.

Dialed In isn't a widebody.

I'm also in for a Dialed In next year. My budget would allow for around 2-3 NIB games per year, but I've grown more cautious with new games. Ghostbusters and Iron Man were my 2016 NIB games, but I can't see myself getting another Stern NIB game going forward. Dialed In will be my first NIB game from JJP, and I'm excited to see how the code evolution compares against a Stern. Here's just hoping that I don't have to wait 8-9 months for my game...

#933 7 years ago

I understand dialed in is not wide body. In the past my options were limited because WOZ and TH were wide bodies. Now that they have an normal sized game I am more inclined to buy. I am done with Stern until they make a change. It would be Dialed in, MM remake and look at some Spooky games would be options.

Another thing to remember is not everyone here is a super pinhead. I love pinball more than anything but I am creating a gaming experience for my friends and family. Games like Moto GP, Super chex, and Raw Thrills Walking dead can eat in to my pin budget if I don't like what I see.

Unfortunate the way it has gone down. I have the funds to support manufacture's and am willing to pay for hi end games with great code but that simply does not seem to be the case going forward with Stern.

Just one man's perspective.

#934 7 years ago

GB and GOT code released today. VERY minor updates and nothing to get excited about.

#935 7 years ago

How many programmers does Stern have?

#936 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

GB and GOT code released today. VERY minor updates and nothing to get excited about.

They were fixes to their own screw ups, essentially.

I love GB. It's the game I play most right now more than anything. There is a good amount of stuff to do in the game, but it's not deep. The wizard modes are nothing special at all, just basic multiballs with nothing to them other than "shots are lit for jackpot." There's not much meat outside of the main modes (combo scoring would be nice). It would be great if there was just a bit more depth to the experience, more layering. Fantastic game, but all that's been added since launch are a bunch of bugs, some bug fixes, a few adjustments, and a video mode that's shoehorned in along the already existing mode.

If nothing changes, I'll still love the game, but it will feel like a lot of potential was left on the table.

#937 7 years ago

They have 6 programmers - (Lyman, Lonnie, Dwight, Waison, Tanio and Mike.)

Quoted from Deez:

How many programmers does Stern have?

#938 7 years ago

Just for posterity, the following games that are still in prodcution have had updates since this thread started. Others with experience with these games can comment on the significance of the updates, but these are the dates of the most recent update for these games since Nov. of 2015:

ST: None
WNBJM: None
TWD: 12/4/15
Avengers: 1/18/16
Mustang: 2/18/16
KISS: 4/21/16
WWE: 6/3/16
SMVE: 6/29/16
MET: 6/29/16
GB: 12/20/16
GoT: 12/20/16

#939 7 years ago

It looks like ST recently moved to the archive on the website. I assume a code polish is no where in sight now.

#940 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Well....it worked for Jared......the BBQ sauce is back I believe.

And all is right with the world.

reheat-chick-fil-a-nuggets (resized).jpgreheat-chick-fil-a-nuggets (resized).jpg

#941 7 years ago
Quoted from bpeed99:

It looks like ST recently moved to the archives on the website. I assume a code polish is no where in sight now.

The license is up - ST is no longer being produced. Stern did a "last call" a few months ago with the distros. That doesn't mean new code wont come. Look at Avengers with code this year!

#942 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The license is up - ST is no longer being produced. Stern did a "last call" a few months ago with the distros. That doesn't mean new code wont come. Look at Avengers with code this year!

They had promised a revision round after 1.61 came out more than a year an a half ago. Waiting that long to finish / polish code is simply ridiculous.

#943 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

They had promised a revision round after 1.61 came out more than a year an a half ago. Waiting that long to finish / polish code is simply ridiculous.

The star trek code is long finished and polished. There are a couple bugs that are hard to reproduce that need fixing bit that's all. It's definitely not a situation that's "ridiculous".

#944 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The star trek code is long finished and polished. There are a couple bugs that are hard to reproduce that need fixing bit that's all. It's definitely not a situation that's "ridiculous".

If they are going flat out saythat there will be another code update publicly and that then they dont followed through it just makes them look bad. While i agree that ST is pretty much done apart from a few bugs here and there wouldnt it just be logical to fix said bugs and close the file instead of letting linger? Thats what what makes this situation ridiculous. Lets not ever start talking about kiss and wwe....

#945 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Just for posterity, the following games that are still in prodcution have had updates since this thread started. Others with experience with these games can comment on the significance of the updates, but these are the dates of the most recent update for these games since Nov. of 2015:
ST: None
WNBJM: None
TWD: 12/4/15
Avengers: 1/18/16
Mustang: 2/18/16
KISS: 4/21/16
WWE: 6/3/16
SMVE: 6/29/16
MET: 6/29/16
GB: 12/20/16
GoT: 12/20/16

Many recent updates for Stern games are just bug fixes, which are of course welcomed, but don't add anything new to gameplay.

It would interesting to see dates of updates that added new modes, I'm sure the list would be much smaller.

With 6 programmers one would think updates for Stern games would be released regularly and added new modes more frequently.

#946 7 years ago

And some are buying BM66 Super LE for $15,000 on "invitation," thinking their code will be complete. F*** Stern and the horse he rode in on.

#947 7 years ago

Yeah, this whole code issue is f&*#$@n ridiculous on all levels. I really want to buy a NIB next year, but will hold off until they show some initiative on code releases and quality. I would snap order a GB right now if Stern had their shit together. I'll be looking for a huo complete code game in the spring.

#948 7 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

Yeah, this whole code issue is f&*#$@n ridiculous on all levels. I really want to buy a NIB next year, but will hold off until they show some initiative on code releases and quality. I would snap order a GB right now if Stern had their shit together. I'll be looking for a huo complete code game in the spring.

Complete code by Spring? If it's one of the games they actually decide to complete (like Metallica), then I'd expect another 18 months minimum.

#949 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Complete code by Spring? If it's one of the games they actually decide to complete (like Metallica), then I'd expect another 18 months minimum.

I'm talking about TWD or SM or ST, something along that line. I already own MET and I consider that done. If it gets another code update, that's just icing. I don't have to buy anything, just have some cash to spend right now. Will also be looking at B/W titles also.

#950 7 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

I'm talking about TWD or SM or ST, something along that line. I already own MET and I consider that done. If it gets another code update, that's just icing. I don't have to buy anything, just have some cash to spend right now. Will also be looking at B/W titles also.

IMO there is way, way too much wrong with Star Trek to put it in the same bracket as TWD or SM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 1,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-stern-and-commitment-to-code-releases/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.