Topic Stats

• 1,027 posts
  • 209 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by clg
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 44 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Ace (resized).jpg
fa16caffdbe658a3c1050819f00b3cea9663bef8_hq (resized).png
IMG_2680 (resized).JPG
reheat-chick-fil-a-nuggets (resized).jpg
download (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_0534.JPG
download (resized).jpg
IMG_0905 (resized).JPG
E9lnYUU (resized).jpg
20160902_030341 (resized).jpg
IMG_4259 (resized).JPG
LOTR_O-R-C_Multipiers_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
CaptureKISS_(resized).JPG
Capture_(resized).JPG
whatcha-gonna-code_(resized).png

There are 1019 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 21.
#1 3 years ago

Dear Stern Pinball Fans, Players & Operators,

Stern is absolutely committed to code updates and games with great code on them!

Every day that the factory is open, several of our team members are working on code updates for machines that have already been released. Some of our team members even work on these updates at their own homes out of pure passion for the pinball industry. In 2015 we have been investing in people and have hired several new team members (like me!) to help meet the growing demands for all aspects of the business at Stern. The product development team at Stern has never been more busy!

In 2015 we have released a large amount of updates, Whoa Nellie, Metallica, The Walking Dead and KISS in July, The Walking Dead and KISS again in August, Game of Thrones twice this month, and now WWE. That is 9 code updates released in just 5 months, nearly 2 every 30 days average. This means that there is always a code update around the corner.

We cannot give specific release dates of upcoming code or details on what is being worked on and when because the process is iterative. There are so many factors that dictate what is being worked on, and when, and what.

The games are going to be good out of the box, and then improve from there. This is bearing in mind that the vast majority of people in the world who are stepping up to a machine are playing for 3-5 minutes and earning money for operators. We understand a growing segment of pinball owners keep machines in their homes and for this reason demand enhanced and more complex gameplay. We are happy to satisfy those demands with code updates released on our website.

WWE in particular has been the cause of some discussion recently with the release of Code 1.20, and we can say that the next WWE code update featuring updates and enhancements to game-play and features is already in development. We are so excited for you to play it!

Every Stern game from WWE to Avengers to KISS to The Walking Dead and in between: is fun. We are absolutely committed to making fun games, making quality games, and providing improvements and enhanced functionality with code updates over time.

Thank you.

#2 3 years ago

So when will we see the update for Wheel Of Fortune?

#3 3 years ago

You said a lot without saying a lot. Really hope an Avengers update is coming soon. We were asked for suggestions like 6 months ago. Does the company not even have tentative dates for code releases? Some date is better than no date

#4 3 years ago

It would be great to attach news of some kind to a post like this.

#5 3 years ago

He makes it sound like a code update is some kind of a "bonus".

#6 3 years ago

I don't care what ya'll say, sterns doing a fantastic job on all levels. If you don't think so, go put your money on RAZA, predator, TBL, or TH even. I'll be sure to see how you're all doing in a couple years with that.

#7 3 years ago

Dude we all love Stern. We own their games, gave them our business. We are just frustrated with game code abandoned or being strung along with stay tuned posts. If you can't understand that, then Im sorry

#8 3 years ago

688359.png

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So when will we see the update for Wheel of Fortune?

If someone at Stern is able to do a public release of the 6.02 code that they released for the Expo tournament years ago then I'd be happy.

6.02 doesn't quite complete the game, but it's some nice additions.

#10 3 years ago

The reason that Stern is in a new factory is because of the pinball resurgence and because of the people like on pinside. It is not from sending out games with half code. At a time when that was going on, Spiderman saved the day for them when they were going under becuase of the whopper code that was put in place. That game was a blowout dud when it first dropped and look at it now.

Code makes ALL customers happy.

POTC ''Remember the code!''

And edit* for the record, I love Stern games. I do. I'd just like to see a game like Avengers completed or polished, it's a very underrated great game.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I don't care what ya'll say, sterns doing a fantastic job on all levels. If you don't think so, go put your money on RAZA, Predator, TBL, or TH even. I'll be sure to see how you're all doing in a couple years with that.

To me pinball is not about pre-orders or new releases. Pinball is about good fleshed out games that are tangible in the now. That is the only kind of pinball I want to own anymore.

#12 3 years ago

I for one appreciate any updates offered. More details would be nice, but this is a start.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

To me pinball is not about pre-orders or new releases. Pinball is about good fleshed out games. That is the only kind of pinball I want to own anymore.

Yup. And if we've learned anything in the last few years, we've learned how difficult it is to mass produce a pinball. And if people want finished games, then let someone else be the Guinea pig and stop buying so early or preorder! This goes for all manufacturers. Stern produces plenty of pins with finished code that you can still get at standard nib prices; TWD, MET, ST, etc... Sorry if people bought in early with KISS and WWE but most of us have been here long enough to know what you're getting into if you buy early.

#14 3 years ago

Wwe is not fun "as is", kiss needs an update.

One kiss update was only to add topper support.

Code updates are better. Wwe and kiss updates are severely lacking.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So when will we see the update for Wheel of Fortune?

Never. They no longer have that license, nor a means to get approval.

Remember how quickly the Star Wars upgrade got yanked off Stern's site?

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/SW12_PRO_english.zip

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Would be kind of nice if they could finish a game before the licenses expire. Oh well, we'll just have to take what we can get.

baaaa.jpg

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Would be kind of nice if they could finish a game before the licenses expire. Oh well, we'll just have to take what we can get.

That was when Stern had to lay everybody off and almost closed it's doors for good.

Gary is no dummy, he was not going to go bankrupt to finish a game that no one wanted.

#18 3 years ago

Can we just let WoF go already? Is what it is. Avengers sitting with bugs for years is enough.

#19 3 years ago

Makes sense why they are hurrying to finish codes on the latest games. Licenses are only good for so long.

#20 3 years ago

Stern doesn't do a perfect job.

They do, do a damn fine job, however. Go Stern!

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Makes sense why they are hurrying to finish codes on the latest games. Licenses are only good for so long.

IF they can't get the code done before the license finishes, then don't get licenses. Finish the job.

#22 3 years ago

The efforts are appreciated and noticed.

It makes sense to focus the efforts in games in production.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gary is no dummy, he was not going to go bankrupt to finish a game that no one wanted.

But would be even smarter not to build games that nobody wants.

#24 3 years ago

Jared, I see you as the "tip of the spear" in the new Stern transparency. Thanks for keeping us informed. Streaming GoT from the factory floor was pretty cool too.

#25 3 years ago

The license needs to be active to finish the code?

#26 3 years ago

Is it not possible to finish the code for WoF through pinball browser?

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It doesn't make much sense to me either.

#28 3 years ago

Great news, and hats off for Stern on their commitment to improve games.
Now, can we have an update to AC/DC. It's great but clearly not complete

#29 3 years ago

The coding is Sterns weakest spot, by far.

Could the topicstarter tell me which Stern pin is finished codewise?

None! That is how dedicated they are.

#30 3 years ago

How do we clone Lyman and get back Keith?? Those are the only two questions Stern should be asking themselves.....

#31 3 years ago

Stern needs to clear their fb ban list. Must be pretty long for people saying stuff that doesn't normally merit a ban.

I hope a future update makes that GOT video mode... good. that video mode though.... you have JJP with HD graphics and stern throws out an atari level of graphics

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The license holder needs to approve the final software.

-

Stern posted that new version of the Star Wars software and it did not take long to discover that they did not have the rights to be posting new software.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

The coding is Sterns weakest spot, by far./blockquote>

Uhh, since when? Pinball rules design has evolved incredibly since the 90s. Look at what was a top game then (ex. TAF, AFM, and MM), versus what's a top game now (ex. TSPP, LOTR, ACDC, and MET). Pinball programming has evolved for what I'd say is the better, and Stern is the company to have pioneered that.

#34 3 years ago

The coding is Sterns weakest spot, by far.

No way.

Most Stern games are way deeper than those B/W antiques.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No way.
Most Stern games are way deeper than those B/W antiques.

What has b/w to do with sterns weakest spot? Nothing.

In your opinion what is sterns weakest spot than?

#37 3 years ago

Stern should change the name of its code department to its customer retention department. Maybe the change would light a fire to finish code updates faster. You want to keep customers happy so they want to spend thousands on your newest game? How about not ignoring games after they were released with buggy code or games missing features?

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Remember how quickly the Star Wars upgrade got yanked off Stern's site?
http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/SW12_PRO_english.zip

So no Ironman update either?

#39 3 years ago

I'm hoping for more great news to come from Stern in 2016, LCD and other technology enhancements. I'd say Jared is doing a really good job in helping change the image at Stern with much better communication. Stern is getting better with code at release and updates.

I loved the GOT live stream. More videos and behind the scenes insight from employees would be really cool.

Factory tour video was well done too.

And yes, whatever they pay Lyman its not enough!

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The license holder needs to approve the final software.
-
Stern posted that new version of the Star Wars software and it did not take long to discover that they did not have the rights to be posting new software.

Did anyone grab that download before it was taken down?

#41 3 years ago

Could the topicstarter tell me which Stern pin is finished codewise?
None! That is how dedicated they are.

All of my 3 Sterns are finished. Your hate for Stern is transparent and tiresome. Shouldn't you be flogging TBL in another thread?

#42 3 years ago

I'd say their weakest spot is their photoshop art for sure. Code may not be finished but if you play it on route, most times you couldn't tell.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is it not possible to finish the code for WoF through pinball browser?

It is not possible. It doesn't do that sort of thing.

Look, Keith was laid off. He's not going to work on it, and I believe has said he couldn't even if he wanted to, he doesn't have the code and/or dev environment anymore. Not his fault.

Games at Stern were Borg and Lonnie. (Why do we randomly choose between first and last names for people?) Two people with a skeleton crew and contractors keeping pinball alive.

They both deserve props for that. Wheel of Fortune fell to the wayside, it is what it is. And really, how many people give a shit? It's an awful theme. Just terrible. And the unfinished wizard mode is hard as balls to even reach is what I've heard.

Sucks, but the company almost died, everyone needs to be given a break on this one old, shitty game, that practically no one even wants, and hardly anyone even owns.

Avengers is a legit beef. It has basic bugs, that have been there for years. The flasher bug is even fixed already. So I get that owners think it sucks to have that game sitting in limbo for so long. If Stern doesn't have an Avengers around to test on (are they still building that museum with all their games? Does that exist?) then just borrow one. Who wouldn't loan them their game for a couple weeks who was in the area? The community would step up. We're talking bugs, this isn't serious coding. Find the conflict or race condition or whatever and fix it.

The thing is, we devalue a legit issue like Avengers when we harp of WoF. It makes people sound like they're just trolling. (o-din would never do that for the record.) Stick to things that matter and that people care about.

An Avengers update would be welcomed by lots of people. An actual Wheel of Fortune update would just make people laugh and or scratch their heads. And then the mob would want to know why they wasted time on that, instead of recent games that people care about.

#44 3 years ago

Their weak spot for me is my paid for L.E. sitting there and not here.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

All of my 3 Sterns are finished. Your hate for Stern is transparent and tiresome. Shouldn't you be flogging TBL in another thread?

My hate for stern? Since when?

Ac dc and met are my number 1 and 2 on the wannahave list.

If you ask me what is sterns weakest pointm i tell it is their coding.

Tell me what you think what it is. If you do, it does not make you a hater.

Oh, and tell me which pins are finished. Wanna bet you are wrong?

#46 3 years ago

IMO it would be the use of cabinet decals instead of real screened cabs.

Decals are too friggin fragile.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Did anyone grab that download before it was taken down?

All the smart kids did.

#48 3 years ago

So, a decale falling off is more important to you than games not being finished, missing modes, still containes bugs etc etc??

And that is not even a problem on all stern pins.

Coding is.

#49 3 years ago

The point is, the code on newer Stern code is deeper than most previous games. I have owned ACDC for about 2 years now and I still can't explain all the rules. This depth of code takes longer to complete. Stern also produces many titles each year. No other company can also make that claim presently. Unfortunately, it also means that they're probably always struggling to keep up. One option would be to make shallow rule sets. Thank God that's not what is happening.

Unless you're brand new to pinball, you have already heard about how long some games take before they're great.
I just bought a Walking Dead three weeks ago. It's fantastic! It's quite different from the game I played when it was originally released. So if you can't enjoy the ride, wait until a game is coded to your liking before buying it. Otherwise, the joke's on you. Nobody else suffers. Not Stern, not the rest of Pinside... Just you.

Odin and Plungemaster, you guys do nothing but whine about Stern code.
Go play your non-Stern titles, and leave the Stern pins to those of us who understand that life isn't simple, making pinballs isn't easy, but remain happy with the games that are being released and the enjoyment that they bring.

#50 3 years ago

Lol I was about to say an entire page of arguing about Stern code by non Stern customers...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 94.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
There are 1019 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside