Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jmckune
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9BA7D355-E15C-43BD-B446-74BF073B7281 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

hello whats the best led for g.i. on my f14 tomcat...comet 2SMD Bulbs cool white(natural) or sunlight,warm white?frosted?how many bulb i need? thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Buy a ton of them. GI should be exclusively the bayonet type base.

I’d get 2SMD warm white frosted. For any bulbs under those thick plastics I would even try the Optix Maximus which are crazy bright and might help light up those areas better. Not sure though. They worked great in my Fire! Buildings.

#3 3 years ago

I myself am a fan of the comet 2smd cool white non frosted. for me, it really brightens up the game. its just a matter of the look you are trying to get. do you want original look or brighten the game up? the frosted warm white is more of the natural color of original bulbs.

#4 3 years ago

ok,i want to brighten my playfield.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballfan:

ok,i want to brighten my playfield.

Cool whites look great in f14. Warm whites will be the closest to incandescent where cool whites almost looks like a fluorescent bulb in color. A nice compromise would be the daylights which are right on the middle. It’s all about theme and how you want it to look. For instance anything space themed, I’d sow’s di cool whites

#6 3 years ago

Sunlight frosted on top and sunlight clear under. Comet!

#7 3 years ago

I'm a frosted guy for the GI. I don't have much experience with Comet, but Cointakers frosted are a huge improvement to brightness over incandescent. I can't stand being able to see a non frosted LED. The beam of light shoots me right in the eye. Even if you go with the regular LEDs, buy a handful of frosted just in case some are not completely covererd by a plastic.

#8 3 years ago

Comet 2 SMD Frosted Warm

#9 3 years ago

Frosted Sunlight. Get the 100 pack for the bulk discount.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I'm a frosted guy for the GI. I don't have much experience with Comet, but Cointakers frosted are a huge improvement to brightness over incandescent. I can't stand being able to see a non frosted LED. The beam of light shoots me right in the eye. Even if you go with the regular LEDs, buy a handful of frosted just in case some are not completely covererd by a plastic.

Comets are just as good just cheaper.

#11 3 years ago

It really is personal preference. If you want a warm look then get warm bulbs. These will look more like incandescents. If you want a whiter look then get the cool white. As far as the domes there are two choices. Clear or Frosted. I use frosted so that the light from the bulb is diffused. However, if I'm able to see the bulb clearly I sometimes throw a clear dome in for a more nostalgic look. There really isn't much of a difference between 1SMD and 2SMD bulbs. 2SMD have two LEDs in the bulb but they share the work. The 1SMD is just as bright but only uses one LED. 2SMD is supposed to be a lot brighter, but I've compared them side by side in a pin and with a frosted top and I wasn't able to tell the difference. I tend to go with 1SMD, even though 2SMD is more popular. 1SMD and 2SMD sell for the same price.

Again it's really personal preference.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

this is my fav

#13 3 years ago

I'm another supporter of the Comet sunlight but I don't mind cool on or around pins with a lot of blue. Really just expect to make changes, usually takes me 3 or 4 iterations before I finally settle. I don't put color in GI but even things like spotlights, I'll start with something really bright but then see it reflected in the DMD so change it to a frosted. I'll put color in inserts and sometimes you want to adjust the color by changing the bulb. I will put color in the back box but I am very delicate with it. Just buy extra nothing worse than being short.

#14 3 years ago

Frosted warm comet.
    Led "warm" is still cooler than incandescent

#15 3 years ago

Cool white frosted for GI + color-matched clear for inserts looks bright and vibrant in F14. I have seen a 2-3 outfitted like this, and they really “pop” visually and look right at home in a lineup of modern games.

I would stick to cool white for the flashers; color-matched would be ideal, but I have not had great luck finding colored led flashers which can match the brightness of the cool white.

I have always been happy with Comet 2smd and flashers; minimal “duds” and they don’t seem to burn out or lose brightness.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

Agree! My choice for all games...easier Kelvin on the eyes...

#17 3 years ago

It totally depends on the game for me. I just did a Dracula, frosted warm, also did a Gilligans island. Had to be cool.

9BA7D355-E15C-43BD-B446-74BF073B7281 (resized).jpeg9BA7D355-E15C-43BD-B446-74BF073B7281 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-led-on-gi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.