(Topic ID: 60118)

?? about IFPA points awarded for PAPA

By Whysnow

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I just noticed that PAPA shows up in my IFPA profile as 0.00 even though I did not compete in A division (the only division that awards IFPA points).

Why would it even show up on my profile if I did not play in A?

#2 10 years ago

Why would you not want it to show up?

#3 10 years ago

I think it will show up regardless, since you were there and a registered player. You could have gotten points for entering classics if you wanted to.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Why would you not want it to show up?

cause it is a big fat zero

I did not play in any of the IFPA point awarding options (WOZ mini event, A division, or classics) so just found it very odd that it I would be even reported in to the system for the event.

It also appears to have changed my stats for average finish for the year which kind of stinks.

#5 10 years ago

Hilton - If IFPA endorsed events include divisions of play that are ineligible for WPPR points, we still include those results as part of the IFPA Rating system. Because the IFPA Rating system is a player-vs-player metric, the results in the B/C/Jrs/Srs divisions are good data for adjusting the IFPA Rating to more accurate representation for each player. In turn, that IFPA Rating is used in the formula to determine WPPR point value when those players end up participating in WPPR eligible tournaments.

Josh

#6 10 years ago

So did I hurt my rating by opting to play B for the heck of it when I realized I was going to end up ~45 in C?

I ended up dead last in B

#7 10 years ago

Yes. Your rating went from 1476 to 1264.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Yes. Your rating went from 1476 to 1264.

DOH

I had no idea that it would even count against/for me in any way.

Seems very odd to me, but the again I obviously do not quite understand how the whole rating thing goes...

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I had no idea that it would even count against/for me in any way.

Seems very odd to me, but the again I obviously do not quite understand how the whole rating thing goes...

The job of the IFPA Rating is to use as much tournament data as possible to determine what your skill level is (similar to chess). Based on your B-division result, your record was 0-100-6.

Bowen surely knows how the Glicko algorithm works better than I do, but pretty much every loss against those 100 players lowered your IFPA Rating by some small amount. In total that performance adjusted your IFPA Rating by the 200+ ratings points.

A new players starts with a provisional IFPA Rating of 1200. Based on your 5th place finish at the 2012 Waun-a-Pinball Tournament, where you had a record of 33-4, your IFPA Rating shot up to 1655. The next tournament you were included in was the 2013 Waun-a-Pinball where you went 25-29 in the Main Tournament, and 18-2 in the Classics Tournament. This dropped your IFPA Rating down to 1519. It continues to move up/down based on who you beat, and who you lose to. Going 0-100-6 at PAPA B and the algorithm simply hammered you down to where it thinks your skill level is based on those results.

Josh

#11 10 years ago

So is there a way to just entirely exclude my PAPA performance form my algorithm?

I just played in B for the hell of it after realizing that I was not going to qualify in C. Basically, I wanted to see if luck could help me out/ how badly I would do/ toss up my remaining tickets on B just to see how the games played. Since I like running events I looked at it as an experiement/ scientific observation...

I would have never done that if I knew it would blast my IFPA rating.

In other words my logic is, if I did not even have the chance of getting ANY IFPA points awarded from PAPA then why should it negatively impact my personal rating?

#12 10 years ago

We don't get to choose which results to include and which results to toss out. Perhaps next time don't jump divisions.

Quoted from Whysnow:

So is there a way to just entirely exclude my PAPA performance form my algorithm?
    I just played in B for the hell of it after realizing that I was not going to qualify in C. Basically, I wanted to see if luck could help me out/ how badly I would do/ toss up my remaining tickets on B just to see how the games played. Since I like running events I looked at it as an experiement/ scientific observation...
    In other words my logic is, if I did not even have the chance of getting ANY IFPA points awarded from PAPA then why should it negatively impact my personal rating?

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from caylegeorge:

We don't get to choose which results to include and which results to toss out. Perhaps next time don't jump divisions.

Well that is a pretty shitty response but as expected...

Based on IFPA >>"The IFPA only recognizes open divisions of play to be included in the World Pinball Player Rankings. If certain players are prohibited from playing based on age, gender, skill or personal reasons, those results will not be counted. This includes B-divisions, Novice divisions, Women’s divisions, etc."

It seems like anyone not playing in an endorsed event should not have their ratings impacted. For example, any other restricted division at other big events do not seem to be tracked. Why is PAPA treated any differently? or is just that other events do not take the time to report exclusionary divisions?

PAPA B and C division should not be deemed IFPA recognized events based on the rules as outlined, as they are exclusionary divisions and do not award points...

Just seems like a odd thing?

Can I start reporting non-sanctioned events held at my house when I beat all of my non-pinball friends just to increase my rating

#14 10 years ago

Cayle is right.

When you make a decision, be prepared for the consequences, which in this case is nothing more than a rating change. I would not worry about it . I must admit i was concerned with B players not getting WPPR points when i was in that division. Keep trying and working your way up.

(WPPR) Rankings and "rating" are 2 different animals.

Some of the best players in the world and the president of IFPA (also one of the best) are trying to help you understand what is going on. Show a little respect. The system is the same for everyone.

Ed Z (no where near the best)

#15 10 years ago

If you want WPPR points or to change your rating, play in more tournaments.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Well that is a pretty shitty response but as expected...
    Based on IFPA >>"The IFPA only recognizes open divisions of play to be included in the World Pinball Player Rankings. If certain players are prohibited from playing based on age, gender, skill or personal reasons, those results will not be counted. This includes B-divisions, Novice divisions, Women’s divisions, etc."

The key word in that quote is probably rankings.

#16 10 years ago

I thought I did poorly in B (placed in bottom 50%), but it actually boosted my IFPA rating - I assume because I was competing against some of the world's best players. I'll go with C next year, but I have no regrets about trying B for my first PAPA.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Unfortunately we can't disregard tournament data based on 'lack of effort', or else we would be getting emails left and right asking for us to not count any poor tournament performance from most players.

The good thing about the IFPA Rating is that it's extremely volatile and adjusts quickly to try and find the most accurate skill rating. Keith Elwin is currently one of only 3 players with an IFPA Rating of >2000, and I can tell you on more than one occasion Keith's IFPA Rating has gone down over 200 points from a random side division of a tournament where Keith played one run and left. Because Keith's typical body of work is to destroy everyone in the field, the algorithm quickly bounces back to a more accurate representation of his skill level.

With only 3 tournaments in your resume, there's simply not enough data for your IFPA Rating to have had a chance to settle, so it's moving around like crazy trying to figure it out. As you get more tournaments under your belt, if you perform to your skill level, it should quickly move to an IFPA Rating that accurately reflects that.

You actually brought up a great point that you perhaps wouldn't have played if you knew your IFPA Ratings could be impacted, and that's exactly the reason why we don't use the IFPA Rating metric for anything important (World Ranking, IFPA World Championship qualifying, IFPA State Championship qualifying, $tern Rewards Program, etc). The WPPR system is a 'positive only' system where playing more only gives you a better chance to improve your rank. Any Glicko style metric involves a risk of losing value in your rating by playing.

Josh

#18 10 years ago

Thanks for explaining Josh!

Makes way more sense now.

Unfortunately my biggest problem is I have not figured out how to accurately manage my time for the events I host in order to allow myself the ability to also compete.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It seems like anyone not playing in an endorsed event should not have their ratings impacted. For example, any other restricted division at other big events do not seem to be tracked. Why is PAPA treated any differently? or is just that other events do not take the time to report exclusionary divisions?

PAPA B and C division should not be deemed IFPA recognized events based on the rules as outlined, as they are exclusionary divisions and do not award points...

Just seems like a odd thing?

Can I start reporting non-sanctioned events held at my house when I beat all of my non-pinball friends just to increase my rating

We do only recognize open divisions of play for the World Pinball Player Ranking (as stated in our rules), however we do include restricted divisions at IFPA endorsed tournaments in the IFPA Rating because that data is extremely useful in getting players to their accurate rating.

Most other events don't have dedicated restricted divisions that are completely separate from the open division, but for those that do they can submit all results. Many tournaments use the 'Casual Eligible' type of division where EVERYONE is counted in the open tournament, and then a subset of players are then eligible to compete in a different playoff for cash/prizes. Those results are not counted in the IFPA Rating, as those players will already be counted by their open division performance.

For our purposes, restricted divisions are eligible to be included in the IFPA Ratings for players, but only if that division is part of an IFPA endorsed tournament. So no submitting home matches where you beat your neighbors

Josh

#20 10 years ago

since you are here Josh >> do you have any pinbrawl type score cards I couls get an electronic file of?

I am trying to making something up for MRP and it would be great to not start from scratch.

TIA

#21 10 years ago

We do have a sample scoresheet available for download from the 4-player PinBrawl World Team Pinball Championships tournament (most recently held at PAPA).

Go here to check those out and download either in Excel or PDF:
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/pinbrawl/scoresheet

Josh

#22 10 years ago

thanks. Anything for a 2 player team?

#23 10 years ago

actually the one you linked looks easily modifiable for 2 player teams.

thanks

#24 10 years ago

How do you see the top 25 ratings? I clicked on almost everyone and couldn't find who is rated #2

#25 10 years ago

If you go to he overall rank tables you can click Rating or Eff% and it will sort by that metric.

Here's the direct link for the top 100 by rating:
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/rank.php?s=r&t=100

It's Rosa

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-ifpa-points-awarded-for-papa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.