Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 256 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spanking.gif
    troncycle.jpg
    the_fly_sits.jpg
    david_hedison_ted.jpg
    th-7.jpeg
    voyage_bottom_sea_breach.jpg
    th-4.jpeg
    fly_grp_1a.jpg
    Bug_man.gif
    laughing.gif
    chiefmcmurphy.jpg
    mcmurphy.jpg
    Totem_pole.jpg
    Dirty_Karma_002.JPG
    ALL_Right.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider teekee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 11 years ago

A huge problem here is the 'for sale'/'for trade' posts. A guy should be able to post something for sale or trade in the appropriate sub forum and not get attacked and have his post turned upside down by a bunch of guys that don't agree with the price or details of the trade. Most of the time this is where the problems and attacks start. If we are going to continue to allow people to post stuff for sale or trade here we should look at a way for these posts to be 'locked' from outside comments by the OP. Most of these posts are not asking for comments or opinions just simply offering an item for sale or trade. It always turns negative somewhere along the line and then usually gets ugly... It would get rid of the negative and the positive (GLWS, wish I was closer, etc.) noise which is all worthless to the OP anyway.

just my 2 cents.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

People should be required to donate to post a FS/FT.

Only if you can post these in peace!

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I agree that the FS threads tend to get beat up on . But I would urge caution on keeping them comment free. These threads help to educate us on market value of pins. (once you get past the rhetoric)

Ok, how about a temporary lock? When someone posts something for sale or trade they can choose to put a lock on it. A lock for say a 3 day period to at least give them a chance before the post becomes cluttered. After 3 days (or whatever time period) the post is unlocked and the blitzkrieg can now take place... at least give the post a fighting chance!

So then the OP gets his time and then the post opens up and everyone gets a chance to post their opinions, advice etc. and everyone should be happy. No, it won't stop all the crap but i can see where this could be a happy median...

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from abcdelmrs:

I like this suggestion a lot. I've posted several machines in the market in the last year and would have liked to list them in the forum as well. However, since such forum "ads" seem to turn out so badly at times, I didn't want the bother with the headache.

A lot of guys I've talked to have taken their stuff else where to sell because of this. I don't see why this would not help. I mean if the OP gets his/her time and then everyone else can jump in a little later there should be no bitching... it won't eliminate all of it of course but its worth a try!

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Teekee, please bear in mind I've never tried to sell anything here, and I don't ask rhetorical questions. Do the price police and hobby arguments ever sabotage what would otherwise be a sale?

I don't think there is any way to be sure of this. I do know that some of the price police post misinformation that can definitely hinder a sale. Some don't understand the difference between a HEP MM and a routed MM so they claim the price is way too high when its actually right in line. The misinformation and the clutter I think can definitely hinder a sale and I think that is EXACTLY what some of the guys here are intending to do unfortunately.

Still, the biggest problem in these post is just how nasty and personal it can get whether its pricing arguments or whatever. You can post something for sale/trade and 10 minutes later its a cluttered thread with arguing and off topic stuff.

Many here don't like the 'cheerleading' aspect of these posts as well. (GLWS, wish I was closer, Greta Price, etc.) An OP being able to have a temporary lock would eliminate this side of things as well.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

One problem with this that would have to be addressed is that if the thread is locked it will fall off the forum main page within a couple of hours.

The temporary lock would not include the OP. The OP could still 'bump' the post or add anything relevant...

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

That turns Pinside into a classified ad. Or Craigs List. No thanks. If people want to sell something here without comment they can do it in the Pinside marketplace. Or Craigslist. Or eBay. Or make a website. What gives anyone the right to sell anything without some kind of feedback in a free market? Specially on a public pinball forum!?!

We're just offering suggestions here. Just trying to make Pinside a little less chaotic. I don't see why anyone should be afraid of a seller or trader having a day or two of peace before the onslaught comes. most of the noise that comes into these FS/FT posts is just worthless, off topic crap that just ends up creating trouble. I know some of you guys here live for this chaos so maybe taking some of this away would leave you with nothing to do... we couldn't do that!

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If that's what Pinside is - a place for buyers and sellers to come together - than I wouldn't weigh in. Rather, it allows buying and selling...within a forum concept. No lockouts, no holds, no grace periods. Sell your pin, if you can. If you can't, maybe its priced too high. But there's no such thing as "too high" for people's whose man interest in Pinside is to sell. Right TeeKee?

It was just a suggestion to prevent some of the nonsense here. Obviously you seem to be one of the ones that feeds on that. No big deal to me. It won't stop me from posting FS/FT posts its just a shame some of the guys here like the RGP approach better.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider teekee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-growing-pains-moderation-site-bans-karma-points-etcetera?tu=teekee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.