Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 256 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spanking.gif
    troncycle.jpg
    the_fly_sits.jpg
    david_hedison_ted.jpg
    th-7.jpeg
    voyage_bottom_sea_breach.jpg
    th-4.jpeg
    fly_grp_1a.jpg
    Bug_man.gif
    laughing.gif
    chiefmcmurphy.jpg
    mcmurphy.jpg
    Totem_pole.jpg
    Dirty_Karma_002.JPG
    ALL_Right.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Excalabur.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 11 years ago

Karma for posting is a horrible idea--it encourages people to post for no contribution. Tracking 'thumbs' might be a good idea, but even then I wouldn't be keen on making it very prominent. Just on your homepage a little score for you to see how many people like your stuff would be fine. (And on people's infopages, I suppose. No need for it on every post, though.)

I also like stack-style replies for technical or otherwise questioning threads, complete with rewards for being useful.

If people want to chat with other pinsiders, they should do so in the OT area. I'd support wholesale moving of posts to a 'chit chat' thread when topics are derailed. Posts like "oh hey, how are you doing" do not_ belong on a topical thread on a public forum.

I would also support auto-hiding posts with a certain number of thumbsdown.

1 week later
    #219 10 years ago

Regarding "abuse" of thumbs: it basically doesn't happen for thumbs up, given my experience on other fora. It's very hard to "abuse" such a thing, anyhow.

It's also a really good idea to encourage people to use them rather than post useless "yep" posts, and gets less talkative people (like me) to feel more invested, because they can participate without having to post. I'd also like to see the interface more streamlined, the giant box that pops up when you thumb something is super annoying.

Thumbs down, or similar, are often a terrible thing, as you get vicious cycles of people down-thumbing each other, as pointed out above. A more-liberal definition for the tilt warning is probably the way to go, and then have the mods keep an eye out to make sure people aren't tilting at windmills.

As an example of a site that uses a system similar to this one, check out boardgamegeek.com: clean, simple interface, with thumbs and 'hide this post' options. (You can hide a post just for you, or flag it to be hidden by everyone.) Yes, some people 'whore' thumbs, so keep them on the profile for people to feel good about themselves, not on each post to make things into a contest.

(BGG's a much, much busier forum than pinside, and their front page is cluttered because of it. Click through to any random topic to see the interface I'm talking about.)

#224 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Most up/down systems are designed with the idea 'if your positives outweigh your negatives, you're ok. But if you get more negatives then positives.. do something'. As soon as people game it one way or the other.. the whole balance theory goes right out the window.

And this is how a 'like' system differs - there is no balancing. Simply people + a post and the post stands on its own... rather than looking at the cummulative of the poster. So POSTS get scored.. not really POSTERS. Subtle.. but remarkably effective difference.

I had thought I had said exactly this, but apparently didn't do so very effectively. Thank you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Excalabur.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-growing-pains-moderation-site-bans-karma-points-etcetera?tu=Excalabur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.