• Latest reply 7 years ago by JReedie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aFan-Tas-Tic-Work-01 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

After working through a lot of problems on my Queens Castle machine and cleaning the entire thing multiple times I tested it and it ran perfectly. So then came the time to move it into the position that I want it and put the glass back on. I fire up my first game and half way through the score reels reset and the ball count counts to 0 then back up to 5 and a new game started while I was still playing.

I then discovered that after shooting the first ball and at least scoring 1 point I can press the start button and start a new game while a game is playing.

I've checked the Lock, game and game over relays and they all seem to function as the schematic states they should, any ideas as I'm totally stumped!

Thanks,
James

#2 7 years ago

Hi.
Don't have that game, but would suspect a short somewhere.
can you define where the ball/game is when the reset occurs?
When I refurb a machine, I always go through everything twice.
The first time through, gets it playing.
The second time through, cleans up issues...or, usually does.
You might try starting a game, and manually checkin each switch and stepping through all positions of the steppers. you may uncover the problem that way?

#3 7 years ago

Start switch adjusted too closely. I bet it is that, and of course has a very simple fix. Regardless, definitely the place to start before you get too involved!

#4 7 years ago

Hi James
Does the "fault" happen now and then --- OR did You accidentally (unwanted) hit the Replay-Button / Start-Button on the front of the pin ? --- and now You just wonder and ask about ?

Yes, we can start a new game NOT fully playing the "game in play" - lets say You play the first ball - You make just a couple of points and the ball drains --- You play the second ball - just a couple of points - and the ball drains. YOU SAY: I do not want to play the rest of the balls - I give up - I START A NEW GAME.

New to me - I looked-up in the ipdb-schematics of Queens Castle - new to me: (I believe) I saw a "function on Ball-Index-Relay" handling this feature.
I know the function from Williams pins - it is handled other. In a Williams pin we can start a new game beeing in "mid game" - BUT we can do it NOT BEFORE THE FIRST BALL drained.

So Zaccaria made an improvement on the functionality ...
Zaccaria are rather rare machines --- I show the functionality on Williams Fan-Tas-Tic.
I press the Replay-Button - IF (if) there are no credits on the counter (encircled burgundy red): The Replay-Stepper-Unit*** is at Zero***, Switch*** is open.
I have some credits, the game before has ended "normal" therefore the Game-Over-Relay has tripped, so "encircled red" "Switch on GO-Relay is CLOSED". Through this switch the Replay-Relay is activated - it lets the Coin-Relay pull-in - the Score-Motor starts to turn - the Reset-Relay pulls-in - the Reset-Stuff takes place. During the Reset-Stuff I can NOT start a new game because "encircled orange": Switch on Reset-Relay is open.
The Reset is done - the ball is kicked over to the Shooter Alley - ready to launch the first ball in a ONE-Player-Game.
A friend also wants to play --- well, doing the Reset-Stuff: The pin has resetted the COIN-Unit (how-many-players-want-to-participate-Unit) - so the Coin-Unit is NOT in last-position - so the switch is closed - I start for the second player --- the same applies to starting a 3- then 4-player-Game and now the Coin-Unit (4-players) reaches LAST position and opens the switch. I can not start a 5-player game - pressing the Replay Button shows NO reaction - because (encircled red): Doing the Reset-Stuff the pin also has resetted Ball-Count-Unit (so switch is open), has also resetted Player-Unit (so switch is open).

Player-1 plays the first ball - makes points - looses the ball - pin steps either to second player (Player-Unit steps and is no longer in Zero-Position so switch closes / is closed) - or in a 1-player-game the pin steps to second Ball (Ball-Count-Unit steps and is no longer in Zero-Position so switch closes / is closed). NOW being in "ball-two in a one-player-game / 2nd-player-ball-1" - NOW I can start a NEW game.
Write, if You have the fault happen now and then.

Replay-Stepper-Unit***, Zero***, Switch*** (encircled burgundy-red): THIS SWITCH we manipulate for "Free play": http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free , greetings Rolf

aFan-Tas-Tic-Work-01 (resized).jpgaFan-Tas-Tic-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from JReedie:

I then discovered that after shooting the first ball and at least scoring 1 point I can press the start button and start a new game while a game is playing.

Besides the issue you are seeing, this possibility is normal on a multiplayer unit, as it allows a new player to come into an already started (1st ball only) game.

Yves

#6 7 years ago

My Funhouse has a setting for "Quick Restart" and when it is enabled, hitting the start button during Ball 2 or Ball 3 instantly restarts a new game (doing so during Ball 1 merely adds a new player, like normal)

#7 7 years ago

Thank you for your advice everyone! It's a single player game which probably explains why it won't start a new game on ball 1. I took a look at the switch contacts on the start switch and they were adjusted a bit too closely which probably explains why it would restart by itself while a ball is in play.

Although the schematics look as if the machine allows for a "quick restart" shouldn't it wait for the ball do drain and then kick out the ball for a new game? As currently I can be playing a ball, start a new game and still have the ball from the previous game on the playfield

Thanks
James

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/able-to-start-new-game-mid-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.