Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by floyd1977
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

iD1xmkf_(resized).png
    supressed_(resized).jpg
    2016-03-04_10_15_38-Ability_for_OP_to_delete_others_posts_in__HOW_TO__threads___Pinside_Forum_(resized).png
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Those threads need to be challenged or this forum goes down the tubes real quick as just a bunch of unchallenged opinionated BS.

I would say the respectful way to "challenge" a how to or instructional post is to make your own/better/factual thread.

The site has gone so far down the tubes already that I am suggesting something that could help resurrect it. Something to help welcome back some very knowledgeable people that no longer post here or when they do, no longer care to share their expertise and experience do to a few thread crappers.

I think there is room for "how I do it" threads/ blogs/ whatever you want to call them. The favorite starts alone will help regulate them. If someone starts a "how to clean up battery damage" post and gives a nice instructional with pics and great info then it will get upvoted and people will use it. If another user disagrees with the 1st persons posting then they should be challeneged to 1-up them and make their own thread. Currently we get a few people that just shit on others ways yet do NOTHING to show/share their own knowledge. Currently this thread crapping has run off a few very knowledgable people and prevents many others from sharing good and positive topics.

#52 8 years ago

I am done saying my piece here. If Robin and crew dont even find the ability to respond to these feature request ideas then I am not sure why anyone should even be providing the feedback.

It seems to be pointless to even ask for feature upgrades if there is no comment even to be provided by the power of Pinside...

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am done saying my piece here. If Robin and crew dont even find the ability to respond to these feature request ideas then I am not sure why anyone should even be providing the feedback.
    It seems to be pointless to even ask for feature upgrades if there is no comment even to be provided by the power of Pinside...

Maybe he is away with his family for the weekend? Sheesh it's been two days.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Robin does see all these threads, as do all the mods. Sometimes we just watch the discussion take shape as ideas unfold naturally since it doesn't always need one of us to respond right away.

When and if new features are developed and when they are inserted into the development schedule is up to Robin.

Don't expect instant gratification. It takes time, planning, discussion, analysis, and effort to figure out how best to design and implement an idea.

We of course appreciate any and all ideas, and each one is looked at and taken seriously.

#55 8 years ago

Sorry, indeed a busy weekend. In fact, I've got two kids now, so the time of working through the weekends is pretty much gone

Anyways, I'm following this thread with great interest, Hilton! I think it's a great feature suggestion, but in exactly which shape or form this will work best is something that needs some research and development, some tlc. But I don't see a problem trying stuff out either.

Some of your thoughts overlap with stuff I'm already working on, my "social" concept, which will bring about ways to communicate without always inviting back discussion. Or discussion with a small group. That sounds a bit vague, I know. But I think what I'm working on might be the thing you are looking for. It's gonna be a huge addition to Pinside and I hope in a good way.

Will you be at TPF? Let's grab a beer and discuss this. If not, let's have a Skype call next week or so? And don't let others dissuade you from bringing up cool ideas/concepts for new features. ALL input/feedback for Pinside is appreciated and a lot makes it into the site in some form. One thing I've learnt though is that change is never easy, the hardest part being the convincing others how good your idea is. Change can also upset people. Just goes to show how passionate people are about things.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

We all read feature requests. Some are useful, some are not, some are no brainers, some have negative consequences, etc.

The one you are requesting is somewhat controversial and has many facets that require consideration. Once you start giving people the right to delete someone else's posts (or something similar) you will have a bunch of negative reactions to deal with for someone who is unhappy their post was deleted.

I like how vid uses the reserve feature for some of his guide posts to put updated in.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Wow. With all the features that Robin puts into this forum, most based on user feedback, don't you think this a bit harsh?

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would say the respectful way to "challenge" a how to or instructional post is to make your own/better/factual thread.
    The site has gone so far down the tubes already that I am suggesting something that could help resurrect it. Something to help welcome back some very knowledgeable people that no longer post here or when they do, no longer care to share their expertise and experience do to a few thread crappers.

So you think instead of having threads where people are free to critique and challenge and suggest other things as long as they don't break the rules, it would be better to have a ton of OP-controlled competing threads all talking about the same topic?

I don't. I could just see it now. You start a thread on how to clean playfield glass or something claiming Windex is the only way to do it properly. Since I can't offer my two cents on the topic in your censored thread I start my own competing thread where I state unequivocally that Inviso-Glass is the only way to do it properly. Then Johnny starts another thread (making sure he ridicules your thread and mine in the title) where he says 409 is the only cleaner for glass. And on and on.....

The moment you take away the ability of others to comment it stops being a forum and becomes dictation.

I think if people feel the need to leave this forum because they get too upset at others commenting on their threads, the prima donnas should leave and not let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

pri·ma don·na / /ˌprēmə ˈdänə/ noun - a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team.

synonyms: ego, self-important person, his nibs, temperamental person, princess, diva, pooh-bah; informaldrama queen
    "a city council filled with prima donnas"

#59 8 years ago

The truth is: the thread crappers will never start their own thread.

They come in to derail, then they leave.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Will you be at TPF? Let's grab a beer and discuss this.

thanks for the comments Robin.

I will be at TPF. Let's discuss there and looking forward to it!

#61 8 years ago

Hmm, I'm not sure what constitutes a thread crapper, nor am I sure if I really want to know?

Look, this section of Pinside is the Pinside forum. The format begs for open discussion and opposing viewpoints. Selective deleting of specific posts seems contrary to the intended purpose of what this section of Pinside is trying to be.

That said, I can see the value in allowing Pinsiders to publish content (and I mean that in the broadest sense of the word) without inviting people to an immediate response or discussion on it. It's a more one-way style of communication, like a blog. And I think there is definitely a place for that.

...But not in the forum section of Pinside.

Like I said, I'm working on a new concept within Pinside, which might very well be what you are looking for. And even though it's intention is not directly to solve this particular "issue", it might very well be what some people are looking for. Because it's still in development I'm not gonna post about it here (yet), but I would be happy to discuss it with anyone at TPF next week.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I will be at TPF. Let's discuss there and looking forward to it!

Very good, see you there!

#62 8 years ago

Can we get the ability to delete whysnows posts from our threads too while we're at it?

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

That said, I can see the value in allowing Pinsiders to publish content (and I mean that in the broadest sense of the word) without inviting people to an immediate response or discussion on it. It's a more one-way style of communication, like a blog. And I think there is definitely a place for that.

A section of pinside for blog style entries is a great addition, And would deserve an entirely new section.

Then it would be easy to have all of vid's guides together, or have a repair log of a collection, or new build announcements by a company kept chronologically in one place. The forum is a great place for discussion, but sometimes you just want a personal record of stuff.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hmm, I'm not sure what constitutes a thread crapper, nor am I sure if I really want to know?

I can tell you have never had a small dog.....

#65 8 years ago

Some things can not be unseen...

iD1xmkf_(resized).pngiD1xmkf_(resized).png

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

True enough. However, I like the open style and learn much in the "Wild West" sometimes from the smallest tidbits. and can pretty much tell if someone is adding to the "discussion" or just tossing a bucket of shit into the fan; I only have one member on ignore from 2 years ago; He was pretty annoying.

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

One man's crap is another man's treasure.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

One's man's pleasure is another's pain.

A thing which is a sin to one is a blessing to another.

One man's loss is another man's profit.

One man's fault is another man's lesson.

etc......

If no rules have been broken there is no reason to delete anyone's posts. Everyone has the option of blocking posters if it really gets them too upset.

Overall I think the moderators do a pretty-good job.

Most of the people I see that get pissed-off and "deactivate" have probably been prima donnas their entire lives.

I remember once as a teenager a group of us neighborhood guys were playing a pick-up game of baseball down at one of the local baseball diamonds. This one guy drove his Mom's brand-new Subaru and parked it right behind the backstop. We all told him to move it because it might get hit with a foul ball there. All of our cars were a good distance away in the parking lot. He said, "It won't get hit." We all said "OK it's your Mom's car." He parked it there because he was too lazy to park where we did and carry the couple bats he brought and a brand-new official major-league baseball.

Well about 5 minutes into the game sure enough a guy popped up a foul ball that went over the backstop and smashed the windshield out of the Subaru. We were all laughing our asses off except for the guy who parked the car there. He told the guy who hit the foul ball that he owed him the cost of replacing the windshield. The batter told him to go screw himself and laughed and proceeded to get a base hit. So the guy with the Subaru then said he was quitting and was taking his bats and the new ball with him.

As lame and as stereotypical as it seems, this was actually for real.

Well I hadn't batted yet and was up next so I threw the ball out to my friend who was pitching and told him to throw me a "fat one". The guy with the Subaru told him to give it to him but my friend ignored him. The pitch was right down the tube and I intentionally crushed it over the left field fence into the woods and everyone just walked off the field to our cars and left, as the guy was walking out to the woods to try and find his ball.

lol

That was a future forum deactivator and I guess I was a "crapper".

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

As long as it shows up in the forums, like say Lloyd's posts, then I'm cool with that. The bookmark I use for Pinside goes directly to the forums.

#69 8 years ago

Or simply put the notorious thread crappers on ignore!

There are some butthurt "restorers" that crash Vids topics regularly.

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from osudrummer:

Or simply put the notorious thread crappers on ignore!
    There are some butthurt "restorers" that crash Vids topics regularly.

I never noticed that but I like Vid's threads.

#71 8 years ago

I don't like the idea of forum posts that can't have replies. But what about just a documents/articles section? The documents could be organized by topic (restoration, game rules, repair, etc.). You could rate articles/documents so that people could sort the top-rated if desired.

Just as in the Market section, documents in the articles section could have a link to a discussion thread in the forum.

I do agree it's annoying though when vid1900 or someone is obviously starting a great restoration thread or something, and people can't give him five minutes to finish posting and have to interject at post 3 of 20.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ability-for-op-to-delete-others-posts-in-how-to-threads/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.