(Topic ID: 92463)

A,B,C,D Titles - Where to draw the line in Pinside Top 100 ?

By PinballSTAR

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by awarner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

This is what I will call a 'Barney the Purple Dinosaur' thread... I love you, you love me... Meaning it's a thread where we can just talk fun pinball stuff - nobody's right or wrong, nobody didn't get their pre-order game, nobody cares if their code is not updated (except Hitler of course), nobody sniped a game from someone else, nobody farted at a show, what's going to be 10K by Christmas, etc... lol.... I enjoy the posts where we all just talk / banter and it's goofy nerdy pinball talk... so....

I always think when I mention certain games and I call them A, B, C title games etc... what games do most people feel are which ? Maybe not specific titles - it's too hard to 'argue' all those that are 'borderline'... so I thought hey, we have a pretty good measurement already with the Pinside Top 100... it's got alot of input, they work hard to keep it updated weekly and current, they try to weed out bad or good ratings to keep it fair, the ones on top aren't just the most expensive games, etc... why not start there...

My definition :
    A - games everyone would love to have in heartbeat if price wasn't a factor - usually established generally liked, themes, art, rules, etc... always a keeper game
    B - games everyone would love to have 'next in line' - price may be a factor, maybe you need to like the theme to pull the trigger, maybe a rules are great, but the theme or art sucks... basically it's good but there are a few things that could be better.... usually a keeper game, but if $, space limitiations arise, it may have to sadly more on - but you may look to buy back later
    C - games that maybe are good to have only because of low price, or if you have an extra space to throw it in for a while to try it out not really caring if it has to move on at some point and you can say you owed it but wouldn't look to re-aquire it.
    D - games you only would own if it's being passed around like a christmas fruitcake and it's your turn or free...

The next question was where do you draw the line with A, B, C, D...

Problems with the Pinside Top 100 - probably many games that are low production don't get rated as much as they should as many don't own them so some titles might not get love they deserve on a list like this - Big Bang Bar for example... also we are not doing EM's and many people love EM's have them in thier collections... so take those two things as missing pieces to this exercise. I also am coming to dislike that there are muliple spots taken up by the same 'game', but different versions - Pro / LE etc... The Top 100 has 12 spots taken up by 6 games with multiple versions separated.. meaning 6 games are unfairly out of the Top 100 - the game is the game, with some add ons or features that don't make it worthy of a separate rating - most of them end up close to each other anyway... That's just me...

I looked at the Pindside Top 100 - and recommend you do now and post your own 'lines in the sand' as I did below... Let's keep talk about one particular title falling above or below your line out of it and just say this is where I my lines are in general. It'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks... Should there be only 10 A titles ? 25 ? how many B / C ? Should it be equal numbers for each category or no there are only so many A's and maybe plenty more B's ?

Feel free to chime in - Let's waste some time and have some good 'polite' banter for a change... Oh and if anyone knows when the new Walking Dead code is going to be out or when the last WOZ LE will ship please free to say NOTHING ! lol

Mine (I didn't try to make my numbers even, but honestly it kinda works out that way for me without trying) :

A 1-25
    B 26-50
    C 51-100
    D 101+

A- MM/TZ/AFM/MB to CFTBL/Metallica/Shadow with all the usual must haves in there. After that you get alot that get some love some hate...
    B - Star Trek/CC/WW to CP/BK200 - works for me I'd wouldn't kick any of these in this range out of bed
    C - WCS/ES/Bride of Pinbot to Space Shuttle/Flintstones/Defender - again, kinda works - they aren't home runs but all good to try
    D - They all are not perfect and you'd have to have a specific reason - low cost or space is no issue to have them. I own D titles and there are reasons I do specific to me.

Give us your A-D ranges....

Joe Newhart
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    [email protected]
    570-357-0042

#2 9 years ago

I want to see a list of "F" titles... it will probably include some of my favorites.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

D - games you only would own if it's being passed around like a christmas fruitcake and it's your turn or free...

That would be most of the top 20.

#4 9 years ago

personally, i'd like to see the whole, "a/b/c/d" list thing go away... it's pointless... especially if (as by the op's definition) "c/d list" games are treated as if they aren't worth playing....

#5 9 years ago

At this point the top 100 are all very fun and most would be enjoyed in any collection with room.
    ABCD I too think is obsolete. Better to break down by how may thousands they cost. Otherwise it does not seem important.

#6 9 years ago

I remember when 'A' referred to 4-5 pins (MM, MB, CC, AFM)...

Games like JD, JM, DH, DM weren't even rated...

Now it seems every mid to late 90s Williams is considered an 'A' game by most

#7 9 years ago

Play what YOU like - who cares what a "poll" or ratings say.

#8 9 years ago

Draw the line where you see fit.

#9 9 years ago

Somewhere around here --------------->
    Or is it here? ------------------>
    Most definitely here. ------------------------------------->

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Play what YOU like - who cares what a "poll" or ratings say.

+1. Trust me, my "A" list is WAYYYY different than your "A" list

#11 9 years ago

I think it's a pointless classification. The only way it "might" be thought of would relate to pricing. I mean..show me a $8k "c" title...doesn't exist.

But beyond that, you can't classify these games. It's all purely personal. Let the top 100 stand, but don't try to break things down into classes. It's a moving target that you will never hit and never get any widespread consensus on where the lines are drawn.

#12 9 years ago

King Pin? Probably off about 40k or so...

Quoted from NJGecko:

I think it's a pointless classification. The only way it "might" be thought of would relate to pricing. I mean..show me a $8k "c" title...doesn't exist.

#13 9 years ago

Okay I will play along ...

This is my opinion and is a general guideline of how I interpret A, B, C, D titles, there are definitely tables that are exceptions to the below because of personal preference.

A - 1-20
    B- 21-110
    C- 111-261
    D- 262-300

I have much bigger population of what I consider B and C titles than you Joe.

Thanks
    Mike

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I remember when 'A' referred to 4-5 pins (MM, MB, CC, AFM)...
    Games like JD, JM, DH, DM weren't even rated...
    Now it seems every mid to late 90s Williams is considered an 'A' game by most

Agreed. Maybe we should adopt the Anime scale and make BBB, MM, AFM, and MB "S tier".

#15 9 years ago

I like what I like,
    Other peoples opinions will vary

#16 9 years ago

I tend to think of A list games as the ones that are so expensive that I don't have to worry about owning them or not, because I can't afford it. {Please note my Spiderman was in a fire and significantly cheaper because I had to put it back together, or I wouldn't have it. Also, TAF is my mom's pin, whereas I bumped down a few levels and got a JP instead because of price.}

B list games are ones that I'd have to save up a long time for and/or give up 2+/- other games to even think about owning.

C list games are ones that I can actually afford to play/buy, and I personally like this category very much. Since I've never seen a non-EM pin all together for sale for less than $1500, I can't even comment on what a D game looks like. I wish there were more around me though.

#17 9 years ago

I think the rating system can only be cut and dry with those games on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Most of the time, an agreement can be reached there as to High-As (AFM, MM) and bottom-of-the-barrel-Ds (Bad Girls, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball). Its the middle-ground, low As through high Ds, where things get cloudy and arguments ensue. Like all ranking systems, we will never agree...however discussing our differences in opinion SHOULD be fun, as this thread aims for...

Rob
    creditdotpinball.com

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

.show me a $8k "c" title.

monster bash, mm, bbb

#19 9 years ago

A list games are all the ones I own

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

A list games are all the ones I own

quit hogging all the games.

#21 9 years ago

this is a tough one, what is SWEET to one is SOUR to another!

#22 9 years ago

Points taken, it was just an attempt at fun exercise...

Was just curious what others thought an A, B, or C was as the term is bantered about alot. I honestly was more curious what people thought B and C titles were or fell on the list of 100...

I also did find one comment interesting - that there used to be just a few A titles MM,AFM,and MB etc... I guess that's good for pinball we all consider generally there are alot more games now that all would like to own or wouldn't sell easily if we did. Agreed. I really don't think price has alot to do with it / or shouldn't... I guess the high priced one by default get in the A zone though... Generally though, they are high priced because alot of people like / want / won't sell them and that drives the market so it's not surprising.

Enough of this friendly calm worthless time passing discussion... let's get back to the bitching and bashing ! I hear Hitler didn't get his Hobbit yet, somebody make a video ! lol.... : )~

#23 9 years ago

I honestly do think all of my collection is A titles but I would think general consensus of (pinhead) people that come play would place the following letters on them if asked.

TAF = 7 A
    WWind = 28 B
    RFM = 32 B
    FT = 37 A
    Congo = 39 A
    RS = 43 B
    BK2K = 50 B
    Centaur = 59 B
    StarGate = 82 B
    TX = 162 C
    RollerGames = 174 C
    Tee'd Off = 216 C
    RoboWar = not rated B

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I honestly do think all of my collection is A titles but I would think general consensus of (pinhead) people that come play would place the following letters on them if asked.
    TAF = 7 A
    WWind = 28 B
    RFM = 32 B
    FT = 37 A
    Congo = 39 A
    RS = 43 B
    BK2K = 50 B
    Centaur = 59 B
    Stargate = 82 B
    TX = 162 C
    Rollergames = 174 C
    Tee'd Off = 216 C
    RoboWar = not rated B

Whirlwind, BK2K and Centaur are all "A" games from their respective era's. Pinside top 100 is really only relevant for DMD and newer titles.

#25 9 years ago

I am a little pickier at front of scale preferring to keep a and b reserved for the sacred few. C and D are highly desireable. E's are average but impressive enough to brag about owning. Rest range from below average to flatout suck. Of course everybody disagrees on certain titles based on their expertise. I mentally have to shift some on the list to their rightful spots

A 1-10
    B 11-25
    C 26-50
    D 50-100
    E 101-200

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I am a little pickier at front of scale preferring to keep a and b reserved for the sacred few. C and D are highly desireable. E's are average but impressive enough to brag about owning. Rest range from below average to flatout suck. Of course everybody disagrees on certain titles based on their expertise. I mentally have to shift some on the list to their rightful spots
    A 1-10
    B 11-25
    C 26-50
    D 50-100
    E 101-200

Using that scale, classics like Fathom, Centaur, Space Shuttle, High Speed, and Pinbot are all D titles. Paragon is an E title. Using Pinside top 100 on non DMD games doesn't work. A restored Fathom is worth more than just about any B or C title and even some of the A listers.

#27 9 years ago

A list - My favorite 5 games
    B List - My next favorite 6-25 games
    C List - My personal 26-100
    D List - My 101st - 200ish
    F 201 & up.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

A list - My favorite 5 games
    B List - My next favorite 6-25 games
    C List - My personal 26-100
    D List - My 101st - 200ish
    F 201 & up.

I guess you just skip the letter E in your alphabet.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Whirlwind, BK2K and Centaur are all "A" games from their respective era's. Pinside top 100 is really only relevant for DMD and newer titles.

In that case, RFM has to be an A also just because it defined its own era

also funny to me that aside from Wwind I keep buying games with worse ratings as time goes on

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

In that case, RFM has to be an A also just because it defined its own era

Yes, and SWE1 would be F list because it is the worst game of it's era... But wait, it's also the 2nd best

#31 9 years ago

Cutting them off at particular ratings scores might be relevant if the ratings themselves weren't all but meaningless.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

I guess you just skip the letter E in your alphabet.

I am using the letter grades they used to use in school. E was always missing, don't know why

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I also am coming to dislike that there are muliple spots taken up by the same 'game', but different versions - Pro / LE etc... The Top 100 has 12 spots taken up by 6 games with multiple versions separated.. meaning 6 games are unfairly out of the Top 100 - the game is the game, with some add ons or features that don't make it worthy of a separate rating - most of them end up close to each other anyway...

I see where you're coming from; it's a little odd at first that the same game can "take up" two spots in the top 25, for example. But I think it's important that these are rated separately as they can play quite differently and it can be an important data point. For example, by the ratings you can see that ST pro (26th vs 15th) and Metallica pro (22nd vs 16th) are pretty close to their premium counterparts. AC/DC pro, on the other hand, is way behind AC/DC premium (42nd vs 5th). This matches perfectly with everything I've read from people saying that it's not nearly as good of a pro and it's well worth it to get the premium for that game.

#34 9 years ago

All the ratings are primarily based on dmd games. The longer I have been in this hobby the more I gravitate to the earlier solid state games. I believe Centaur, Fathom, Flash Gordon, EBD, Stargazer, Seawitch are all A titles. Atleast, they are to me. Buy and play what you like and dont worry about polls.

mike

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

TAF = 7 A
    WWind = 28 B
    RFM = 32 B
    FT = 37 A
    Congo = 39 A
    RS = 43 B
    BK2K = 50 B
    Centaur = 59 B
    Stargate = 82 B
    TX = 162 C
    Rollergames = 174 C
    Tee'd Off = 216 C
    RoboWar = not rated B

I think the letter grade is mostly a gut-feel type thing useful to generalize, mostly based on supply/demand and thus price. It's useful when talking about multiple pins ("Did you see that guy's collection? He's got like 10 A-list pins!" or "I like fixer-uppers, so I mostly buy cheap C-list pins"). I think it's less useful to label individual pins and obviously opinions will vary wildly.

When I think of a B-list game, I actually think of something like Congo. Solid, well-liked game but tied to a long-forgotten movie from 20 years ago.

The age/era thing is hard, too. Some games probably hold up better than others. I could see Whirlwind being A-list when it came out, but perhaps not anymore compared to a lot of the games that came out in the 10 years after it.

It's harder to tell with new games, too, because they just haven't been around long enough for enough people to play them enough, plus there is a good supply of most (and way more HUO than in the '80s and '90s). Although I think you could safely say that most people would consider, say, AC/DC in a class higher than, say, Avatar (side note I've never once seen anyone mention Avatar on Pinside since I joined).

#36 9 years ago

Should not be tied to price of game regardless. Rarity has simply given some games a higher rating than they warrant. People want what they can't get, those with it give it higher ratings than warranted cause they wanna drive the price more and the game isn't available to enough players to get a true representation of the game - particularly lastability.

Does MM remain an A with MMr or will it drop to a B? Another 2 to 3 thousand Cactus Canyons will certainly see its rating drop long term. Sooner if its not launched as CCc.

Same deal with "pin snobbery". As previously noted in this thread - artificial positive ratings are attached to B/W DMD machines over Stern, Data East, Sega. Is Junk Yard or Bride of Pinbot really better than an Avengers LE or even Rocky & Bullwinkle??? Debatable at the least in my books.

At the end of the day - its all subjective. Too many "followers" when it comes to what games are good and which are bad. Make your own list and use it. Who cares what someone else thinks is A, B, C, or D.

The artificial bubble based on rareness of a game has popped/is popping/will soon pop so expect those ratings to level out. The writing is on the wall. 3 manufacturers putting out good games is going to ensure prices drop on A and B pins and I think ratings will level out longer term on them too. Already has here. Games are taking a lot longer to sell than they used to. Bets are off if MMr is a flop or JJP flounders though.

#37 9 years ago

When I started collecting, "A" titles were the ones that made the operators the most money. Anything else was a "B". In those days:

TAF = A
    TOTAN = A
    MB = A
    WH20 = A

TZ = B
    CFTBL = B
    DW = B
    HS2 = B

I never cared much for ratings. It's a personal taste thing. Just buy the games you love and play other people's games that you don't! Thanks for a positive thread!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abcd-titles-where-to-draw-the-line-in-pinside-top-100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.