6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boilerman
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-1 (1) (resized).jpg
    Flipper (resized).jpg
    GS rt sd cab wh gm 104.JPG
    248681-i.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    Lucky Hand Blob.jpg
    King Pin-Up.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 2 years ago

Old thread... lots of killer observations made so I won't retread except to say that I like both AAB and replay games depending upon the ruleset and artwork.

In general, for me, most AAB's have crappier artwork and last too long. As Boatcat mentioned, the fundamental geometry of most EM's favor the game time and risk of a 5-ball game... so AAB's rarely win out for me.

And now the opinions...

I like Klondike over Yukon (too easy).

2001 (better art) over Dimension (way too easy). Even though 2001 can be modded to reset the drops, I don't do it. Makes rolling the score especially challenging which is more fun.

Flipper Fair/Subway over Cross Town (the replay is the adaptation in this case and is too difficult... the geometry and huge flipper gap begs for AAB rules).

Playball (better art) over Home Run (too easy).

Royal Guard (better art) over Palace Guard (too easy).

Spanish Eyes in AAB mode (difficult to earn, short ball times). WHY did they bother installing ball-in-play lights up to 10? NO ONE can earn that! Even getting to 7 seems impossible.

Paradise (far better artwork) over Pleasure Island.

Ice Revue (better layout) over Ice Show.

Doozie (better layout) over Daffie.

Card Trix (better rules) over Flip-A-Card (aside from specials no real reason to aim for anything at all!).

Captain Card over High Hand (blech).

King Pin (better art) over Pin-Up (too easy).

Would like to confirm Diamond Jack vs. King of Diamonds and Ship Ahoy vs. Buccaneer.

#127 2 years ago

Yes! Majorettes is a good one! AAB is a necessity because the geometry is so difficult. As mentioned, it was not an adaptation and thus "just feels right".

Same reason why Flipper Fair/Subway have to be AAB... that huge gap between the flippers and risk of making the center shot are perfectly balanced with high drain rate and extra ball potential.

Generally you can tell which game is the adaptation because the pacing and risk/reward feels a little off (although a few work well either way).

#130 2 years ago

You know what... I'll have to delay final judgment on Ice Show vs. Ice Revue since I've never actually played Ice Show... only studied the geometry. Usually I'm pretty good at evaluating geometry from photos, but maybe 25% of the time the game wins me over in person. Just gotta play it to know for sure. I'll keep an eye peeled.

I don't get the Dimension love. My first (and thus far only) game I earned 10+ balls, rolled the score twice, and walked away with 8 left! Is there a way to reduce the extra ball generosity?

Agreed with everyone about Kings & Queens. Simple, solid, classic gameplay. It's a winner.

On the matter of Atlantis, C37, and Volley... I don't need to own them but I'll play them if they're around. Gottlieb was coasting by this time and it showed a bit.

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

You really do need to play Ice Show before judging it as inferior to Ice Revue. It's a nudging delight with the six outlanes and the fifth pop bumper (vs. 4 pops and one dead on Ice Revue) is a big plus for me too.

This, I shall do! Withholding judgment until I can find one to play.

#169 2 years ago

Nearly all of the EM's in my stable are 5-ball replays. Not coincidentally, nearly all have the same game length.

This is a good thing, because when people visit my collection, everyone can take turns more or less equally. This is especially true when the games are on location (say, at a museum or convention) so that others aren't kept waiting too long to play.

Replays are fun because that *snap* means you are doing *extra well* (and announces it to others). That knocker isn't just "par for the course"... only the *good* players get them. So I set my replay thresholds at somewhat difficult intervals in order to egg the player on and get others involved. It makes everyone want to get their games knocking too and join "the pros"!

Among them, I do have one AAB game (Flipper Fair) but it, too, has about the same game length as the replays because of the steep difficulty. Again, this is a good thing, because it feels like it belongs with the others in terms of time and skill.

Based upon this perspective, you can see why I won't give "runaway AAB's" high ratings or want them in my collection. They have the potential to monopolize a player for too long. In some cases three, four, five times as long... or longer. Our last EM-tournament stalled many times due to Yukon, the only AAB, hanging up play-times for everyone else.

Now, in some rare cases, the replay version is the adaptation from the AAB-original... and many of these have the reverse problem: Too hard! Cross Town is one of these. Just doesn't make sense as a replay. The whole risk/reward thing falls apart. Besides, if you've ever played a properly leveled Subway/Flipper Fair, you know it still doesn't last long!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 79.00
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 40.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 219.99
    $ 15.00
    $ 305.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside