Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by RWHjunkie
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230121_140746 (resized).jpg
    20230224_071643 (resized).jpg
    20230224_071536 (resized).jpg
    20230316_143239 (resized).jpg
    image-1 (1) (resized).jpg
    Flipper (resized).jpg
    GS rt sd cab wh gm 104.JPG
    248681-i.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    Lucky Hand Blob.jpg
    King Pin-Up.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider leckmeck.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 9 years ago

Here are some disparate observations I have on the subject:

The replay wheel is a fun tally of how badly you "beat" a game, but if it still has leftover credits on it and you max the wheel out on your current game, the knocker is silent when you hit a special. I rarely have to put credits on my Spin-A-Card because it's always hovering around 9-12 replays, so some games end with dead specials. Bummer.

Some AABs can be changed to novelty mode where specials earn points instead of balls. In this mode, the number of balls is fixed. This seems like a good option for truly skilled players who dislike AAB games for their interminable game length. I'm a mediocre player, so AAB mode suits me fine.

The backglass artwork for AAB games is sometimes inferior because the artist has to sacrifice detail on the front to reserve space for the previous hi-score box and the lights representing additional balls or extra-high scores. Compare the amount of activity on Pin-Up to King Pin. The latter is much more exciting. POW!

King Pin-Up.jpgKing Pin-Up.jpg

But I own and enjoy both AAB and replay games. It's all pinball, all fun.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, but the backglass on "Pin-Up" is much more colorful and attractive than the one on "King Pin"; I think anyway.

I'll grant you King Pin's color scheme is heavy on blues and reds, whereas Pin-Up has a more pleasingly balanced palette. It's interesting to see the color variance between the two. The walls, ceilings, and background people are completely different, but I think both have great color choices. Gordon Morison was ace at combining colors.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

As a 90's kid who has zero nostalgia factor, my opinion is that AAB is the only logical choice for a home environment due to credits being worthless. All other arguments are emotionally biased.

Strict logic makes for a dull opinion. There's a big difference between something that makes sense and something that makes you fall in love. How we feel about a game is why we own them.

I'm an AAB guy myself, but I find winning replays valuable to me in unexpected ways. When a friend comes over and beats the hell out of one of my replay games, I get the pleasure of playing down their credits some other evening. That's not worthless.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I doubt Ron or Shay, or anyone else making repros will actually omit the boxes unless it's a one-off glass and it's requested to be omitted by the customer.

You're right about that!

When Ron released his Lucky Hand backglass a few years ago, I inquired on RGP if it contained the "black blob" that was present on the original backglass. It's something I figure was the result of a minor defect in the black screen when the original backglass was printed in 1977. It's a negligible detail, but I was just curious. Ron heard about my question and he took to RGP to defend his work. Of course the reproduction backglass has the blob! His licensing agreement forbids him from taking any kind of creative liberties. I felt bad that my question was interpreted as criticism, but I had my answer.

Later, BGResto repaired a Lucky Hand backglass, and it appears they decided to remove the black blob from the artwork.

Lucky Hand Blob.jpgLucky Hand Blob.jpg

So if you want to get an AAB glass with no hi-score box, BGResto is the way to go.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider leckmeck.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aab-v-replay-ems-opinions?tu=leckmeck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.