5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boilerman
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-1 (1) (resized).jpg
    Flipper (resized).jpg
    GS rt sd cab wh gm 104.JPG
    248681-i.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    Lucky Hand Blob.jpg
    King Pin-Up.jpg

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

As a kid, I was playing to win games and achieve high scores. That was the 70's. Guess it's just what you grew up with.

I grew up playing replay games and I still like to win game credits when I'm actually paying for games. Not the case at home though.

#152 2 years ago

Well, yeah. That's what it comes down to. The guys who grew up playing games in the 47 or so states that had replay games usually prefer the replay games. Vice versa for the add-a-ball states. I like both actually, but still like getting a high score even on replay games rather than ratcheting up the credit reel. In fact, it's a pain when the credit reel gets to it's limit or close to it. There's no real easy way to knock off credits if you can't easily access the back of the game, and once it's maxxed out, you don't even get a knock!

#153 2 years ago

for me score was always the goal. with aab games the score was always higher due to earning more balls, but with replays the score was lower but free games were the byproduct of a great score.
    my problem with some (not all)AAB games is that the game can go on for to long and there is less challenge. replay tend to be more challenging. (not always)

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

"Capt. Card" is the same, but to an extreme.

You can say that , that game is always out for blood.
    It will definitely test your patience and skill.

#155 2 years ago

I love sticking a quarter into one of my machines and see how far I can get, just like I did in the 70's.

#156 2 years ago

I've been seriously considering making all of my replay games take money again.

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I've been seriously considering making all of my replay games take money again.

After years of being on free play, I've gone back to this on most of my games. I like it.

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I love sticking a quarter into one of my machines and see how far I can get, just like I did in the 70's.

Replay or AAB you are still trying to play well enough to extend gameplay. Earning another game on a replay machine isn't that much different than adding 5 balls on an AAB game. A good AAB game can feel more epic to me personally but I also appreciate earning a replay at home. Meeting a goal feels good either way.

#159 2 years ago

Anyone know if there's a rules difference between Royal Guard and Palace Guard, or if it's just straight across replay=extra ball?

#160 2 years ago

If you are old enough to have been around in the seventies you have to remember the pinball anthem by the Who. If I remember correctly that deaf, dumb and blind kid always gets a replay. I have never heard of him getting extra balls. Replay for the win!

#161 2 years ago

Machines like Wizard! with the extra ball feature function as add a ball and replay. Best of both combined!

#162 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Machines like Wizard! with the extra ball feature function as add a ball and replay. Best of both combined!

Not exactly: "Maximum 1 Extra Ball per Ball in Play"

#163 2 years ago

A game like Klondike game be set up to be a little of both. With different reel combinations awarding added balls or replays.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

A game like Klondike game be set up to be a little of both. With different reel combinations awarding added balls or replays.

Which is why I love that era Single Player Williams series. Like Gulf Stream. Specials on the playfield award add a balls. While scores, match and 4 corners can award replays.

#165 2 years ago

Not really, the number of extra balls per ball in play is unlimited provided you do the same thing again after the ball drains.

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from frb:

If you are old enough to have been around in the seventies you have to remember the pinball anthem by the Who. If I remember correctly that deaf, dumb and blind kid always gets a replay. I have never heard of him getting extra balls. Replay for the win!

Replay games were far more widespread than add-a-balls, and winning a replay on a replay machine is the objective; no argument there.
    For home use though, winning replays is somewhat pointless (no pun intended). As I stated in an earlier posting, it all depends on what you grew up playing. There were far fewer add-a-ball localities, but those who played those games back in the day prefer them to replay games.
    I played AABs in NY, and didn't play replay games until a little later while visiting in NJ. It seemed odd that you were limited to five balls, and five balls only. Extended play (add-a-ball) or winning credits (replay) are both rewards for exceptional play. The only difference is that add-a-balls continue the same game, and replay games start over from zero. Both award extra balls in a manner of speaking, but replay games make you start your score from zero again. The charm of add-a-ball play is achieving a very high score which can be challenging for subsequent players to exceed. To me, that was the thrill of pinball back in the day. Someone would post a score that was seeming unreachable, but you would eventually have that incredibly awesome game and before you knew it, you were approaching that unreachable score and then the thrill of beating it was incredibly rewarding. This pitted you more against other players, rather than beating the machine (really, the operator) for a free game.

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Bally's "Hi-Deal" is a great machine that is truly replay and add-a-ball simultaneously. It is the best of both worlds. You're playing an add-a-ball game, but the machine has a credit reel and you can win replays as well! How awesome is that!

#168 2 years ago

Nobody will ever win the replay vs. aab argument.............

Pop a Card over Drop a Card
    Replays over AAB's except for a couple like Pop a Card, Captain Card, etc.

Replays are still fun to us who grew up on replays on location. It's achieving either the high score goal or special goal or whatever makes the knocker go off - same as the goal is to win a free ball on aab's for features or points. Both are trying to achieve the highest score on that game whatever it may be - aab or replay.

I grew up playing replays with rulesets that made game times short. I would much rather play 3 games in my collection than spend 15 minutes playing Dimension and winning ball after ball after ball - 275,000 once this summer (although it is still a fun game and a tad rare).

I don't understand this statement: "replays are no fun in a home environment" - they are to me. It's a good thing everyone doesn't think that way or we would all be jumping on any aab that popped up on CL. Prices would be through the roof!

#169 2 years ago

Nearly all of the EM's in my stable are 5-ball replays. Not coincidentally, nearly all have the same game length.

This is a good thing, because when people visit my collection, everyone can take turns more or less equally. This is especially true when the games are on location (say, at a museum or convention) so that others aren't kept waiting too long to play.

Replays are fun because that *snap* means you are doing *extra well* (and announces it to others). That knocker isn't just "par for the course"... only the *good* players get them. So I set my replay thresholds at somewhat difficult intervals in order to egg the player on and get others involved. It makes everyone want to get their games knocking too and join "the pros"!

Among them, I do have one AAB game (Flipper Fair) but it, too, has about the same game length as the replays because of the steep difficulty. Again, this is a good thing, because it feels like it belongs with the others in terms of time and skill.

Based upon this perspective, you can see why I won't give "runaway AAB's" high ratings or want them in my collection. They have the potential to monopolize a player for too long. In some cases three, four, five times as long... or longer. Our last EM-tournament stalled many times due to Yukon, the only AAB, hanging up play-times for everyone else.

Now, in some rare cases, the replay version is the adaptation from the AAB-original... and many of these have the reverse problem: Too hard! Cross Town is one of these. Just doesn't make sense as a replay. The whole risk/reward thing falls apart. Besides, if you've ever played a properly leveled Subway/Flipper Fair, you know it still doesn't last long!

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

I don't understand this statement: "replays are no fun in a home environment" - they are to me. It's a good thing everyone doesn't think that way or we would all be jumping on any aab that popped up on CL. Prices would be through the roof!

Well said, Hoov! This has been my reasoning for a long time, yet the AAB version value still lags somewhat behind that of it's replay counterpart. NicoVolta explains the actual dysfunction in the following post that in converting a replay game to AAB is tough to do without a few "Hiccups" in the skill objective.

I'll go 4 more just for fun: Flipper Cowboy over Buckaroo, Flipper Fair over Cross Town, Dimension over 2001, Capt. Card over High Hand, otherwise, I'll take the replay version.

#171 2 years ago

"Pop A Card" over "Drop A Card". "Gold Strike" over "El Dorado". "Free Fall" over "Sky Jump". Maybe a few others.
    I do like replay games as well. "North Star" "King of Diamonds", and "Kings & Queens", are three of the best games ever.

#172 2 years ago

I owned Pop A Card and loved it, sold it since it didn't really fit in with my other machines. Didn't know it was a top rated game at the time.
    I'd rather have an El Dorado and Sky Jump in my collection versus a Gold Strike and Free Fall. Reason being it would fit better and replay games are what I grew up on. Can't change that.

#173 2 years ago

I had a pristine Gold Strike and sold it because of long game times. You can have pretty long game times on El Dorado too compared to other replays - I think either one is a bit too easy but great for a bigger collection. Great artwork too. My ED isn't going anywhere.

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Nobody will ever win the replay vs. aab argument.............
    !

what you grew up playing ALWAYS will play a part in what side you fall on in this.
    myself I enjoy both for many reasons, BUT do I like the title enough to buy it/add it to my lineup ?

#175 2 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

what you grew up playing ALWAYS will play a part in what side you fall on in this.
    myself I enjoy both for many reasons, BUT do I like the title enough to buy it/add it to my lineup ?

Agree, and I'll try any replay or aab anything once because you never know what you might like..........just like when you played Team One - it kind of surprised you it was such a good player.

#176 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Agree, and I'll try any replay or aab anything once because you never know what you might like..........just like when you played Team One - it kind of surprised you it was such a good player.

Imagine a team one with Abra's artwork !

#177 2 years ago

That's a winner!

#178 2 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Imagine a team one with Abra's artwork !

they could of called it "alakazam"

#179 2 years ago

We need a conversion kit. Wait I haven't found my Team One yet....

#180 2 years ago

I like the art on Team One! Whimsical art goes well with pinball.

(I do have colorblindness though)

#181 2 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

I like the art on Team One! Whimsical art goes well with pinball.
    (I do have colorblindness though)

well you did get a rally nice one so you can really enjoy it. IMO it is A GREAT game. if i had the space it would still be here....

#182 2 years ago

I prefer the AAB version of this one myself.

Flipper (resized).jpg

#183 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

my second favorite in the flipper series

#184 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The first ever wedge head designed as AAB only. That kind of kills the argument that AAB games are a poorly implemented after thought doesn't it?

#185 2 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

my second favorite in the flipper series

What's the first?

#186 2 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

The first ever wedge head designed as AAB only. That kind of kills the argument that AAB games are a poorly implemented after thought doesn't it?

Well, the fact that that one is the only Flipper I've ever seen for sale, which it probably won't be again, says that owners do like to hang on to them. Can't say that about too many other machines period. They all come up for sale at one time or another. But not this one. And the woodrail version seems almost non existent.

#187 2 years ago

Flipper is such an anomaly that pinpedia, which usually has decent sales record and pics of games sold thru e-bay, shows a few were sold in Germany the last few years, but the pics are all of different machines. Not one Flipper in there.

#188 2 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

well you did get a rally nice one so you can really enjoy it. IMO it is A GREAT game. if i had the space it would still be here....

And it still looks like brand-new, thanks Dave! I'll have to post some good pics of it soon.

#189 2 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

What's the first?

flipper fair

Quoted from presqueisle:

And it still looks like brand-new, thanks Dave! I'll have to post some good pics of it soon.

it was hard to let that go, but as we all know space forces you to always move something out when something needs to come in

#190 2 years ago

I think it looks cool, but wouldn't replace my Flipper.

I know, it's supposed to go next to it....

image-1 (1) (resized).jpg

#191 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think it looks cool, but wouldn't replace my Flipper.
    I know, it's supposed to go next to it....

i do know you love your CLOWNS!

#192 2 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

i do know you love your CLOWNS!

I see enough clowns in real life. Sometimes even in my own mirror. Our buddy in the hills is like PTBarnum himself..

#193 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I see enough clowns in real life. Sometimes even in my own mirror. Our buddy in the hills is like PTBarnum himself..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 19.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside