Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180317_200617 (resized).jpg
Palooka coin switch (resized).jpg
20180306_202110 (resized).jpg
20180306_202040 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've got an AAB game, Palooka, that is set for free play with a bakelite button switch in the place for the coin return button. I assume the switch is normally closed.
20180306_202040 (resized).jpg20180306_202040 (resized).jpg
The previous owner also stripped the door of almost everything else.
20180306_202110 (resized).jpg20180306_202110 (resized).jpg
I'd like to replace the current button switch with one that looks nicer. I've found some options, but I am not sure what the switch should be rated at in terms of amps and volts. Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

Is that a green-red wire on the push button you want to replace? If so the push button may be wired to the normally open Coin switch shown on the schematic in the 120V AC section.

Palooka coin switch (resized).jpgPalooka coin switch (resized).jpg

The 120V AC circuit can kill you so unplug the game from the wall before checking, measuring, modifying, working or futzing in any way with that switch or anything related to it.

With the game safely unplugged you can check if it's the same green-red wire tied to the Lock relay and Game relay latch switches with your multimeter. If it is the same wire, measure the resistance across the Coin relay coil solder lugs to get an idea what the resistance of the coil is. Using Ohm's Law (Voltage/Resistance = Current) divide the 120 volts of the circuit by the Coin relay coil resistance to get an idea of the current involved. Then double the voltage (to 250V) and triple the current for safety when checking the ratings of a new switch.

I'd also favor switches that have extra insulation or other ways of preventing the terminals from shorting to the coin door so that 120 volts can never come in contact with any of the door hardware.

/Mark

#3 6 years ago

Thank you for the advice, Mark. I'll check that circuit.

1 week later
#4 6 years ago

A NO switch was the way to go. This one works well and fits the original hole. It's insulated with rubber washers.
20180317_200617 (resized).jpg20180317_200617 (resized).jpg
I'll eventually find the original coin reject button and use that with a leaf switch. This works for now, and I like the way it looks.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

A NO switch was the way to go. This one works well and fits the original hole. It's insulated with rubber washers.

I'll eventually find the original coin reject button and use that with a leaf switch. This works for now, and I like the way it looks.

That sticker on the coin door is really cool. Why it was put there, however, is puzzling; Palooka only has one coin slot!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

That sticker on the coin door is really cool. Why it was put there, however, is puzzling; Palooka only has one coin slot!

Thanks. The coin door was really rusty when I got the machine, and the sticker covers most of the discoloration that was left when the rust was removed. It's a water slide decal meant for a jukebox. I knew it wasn't accurate for Palooka, but I wanted something that looked like it was from the era.

It was also cheaper than finding a better door.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aab-start-button and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.