(Topic ID: 60098)

a woz reliability report from a heavily routed machine..

By bigehrl

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 272 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MTPPC
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz_lcd.jpg
NewC.jpg
black-hole-gottlieb-backglass.jpg
snickers.jpg
image.jpg
backglasswoz_492_detail.jpg
download.jpg
3870927332_e2654abbbf.jpg
IMG_4207.JPG
New_Canasta.jpg
IMG_6937.jpg
IMG_6930.jpg
There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 10 years ago

The Lcd is a game changer, been saying it for 2 1/2 years, sorry pinheads, its not a good idea to take it and make it smaller! When you put it in a room full of other pins with a translite/dmd compared to the Lcd it will attract people who watch, and then want to play! Jack was right.....

He had to have looked at the success that Woz had as a slot machine, and still does, one of the best ever, and it was because it had video and technology never seen before on a slot machine, people will stand around and watch others play it and other splashy video type slots......and then, you want to play it yourself.....great stuff, video integration is just beginning and pinball might actually have a chance of a comeback.....

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Like it or not Stern better realize the LCD helps draw folks in. I never cared as player but it seems WOZ is really working at grabbing folks to play.

The LCD is bitchin'. The LCD on LSD even better!

#53 10 years ago

well done, LCD looks to be a winner for Newbie

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I remember when paper transitioned to gel

The 90's were legit!

Quoted from iceman44:

The Lcd is a game changer, been saying it for 2 1/2 years

To be fair you've been saying a lot for the last 2 1/2 years

Fella

I mean ma'am

I mean fella

(FGY reference)

#55 10 years ago

Great news! Hopefully pins can get back to the days of paying for themselves in under a year, and we'll see more new ones on route.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I remember when paper transitioned to gel
The 90's were legit!

I know you're truth telling, because I can't remember the '90's!

#57 10 years ago

I remember the 90s. I felt great because I was finally recovered from the 70s.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

Ones that I played had broken slippers and I played one a PAPA and as I was playing a tree broke off of the pop bumper. Are these common issues? Everything else seemed fine and they played very well. Love the new code

I removed the slippers from my friends pin and just put them in the goody bag . They come off rather easy there just held on with a double sided like tape . They flippers are a red glitter and look great so no big deal . He also had the same thing with the tree on the pop and after I took it off it turned out to be a screw that needed lock tight . After that it hasn't happened since .

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from j69:

How did the tree break off? It's made of rubber and screwed to the pop bumper. There's nothing to break?

If you remove the two small nuts ( ha ) that are holding the free to the pop and pull up on the tree there is a a black round bracket that has two screws that hold it to the pop bumper . What happens is that the screw needs to have lock tight added because if the vibration . It's actually a pretty easy fix .

#60 10 years ago

Paper? Purple micro dots!!

#61 10 years ago

Haha no more gellies or micro dots anymore. Too easy to fake with bad stuff you don't want. Best of the best is on plain white paper. White on White they call it..

To the moon!

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

White on White they call it..

Is that the premium or the LE ?

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Is that the premium or the LE ?

Pro =P

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

If you remove the two small nuts ( ha ) that are holding the free to the pop and pull up on the tree there is a a black round bracket that has two screws that hold it to the pop bumper . What happens is that the screw needs to have lock tight added because if the vibration . It's actually a pretty easy fix .

Thanks, this tree was like still attached but off center and hanging sideways. I never had the chance to work on a game so I have no clue how it is assembled so thanks for the insight!

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

... and will sell like hotcakes!

I would consider it but after playing WOZ and reading about The Hobbit I'll never buy another NIB machine without an LCD. Stern needs to get some type of LCD display in their machines.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would consider it but after playing WOZ and reading about The Hobbit I'll never buy another NIB machine without an LCD. Stern needs to get some type of LCD display in their machines.

You'll probably miss out on a lot of great pins... LCD's are cool and I am looking forward to Stern doing this at some point but this doesn't guarantee you a fun, exciting pin that begs you to come back for more. WoZ is a good example of this IMO. Its definitely an eye catcher but that's about it.

If I want to watch a movie I'll go to RedBox or play WoZ. If I want to play some fun exciting blood pumping pins I'll go for some ACDC or Met or many of the WPC classics... and hopefully ST!

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

You'll probably miss out on a lot of great pins... LCD's are cool and I am looking forward to Stern doing this at some point but this doesn't guarantee you a fun, exciting pin that begs you to come back for more. WoZ is a good example of this IMO. Its definitely an eye catcher but that's about it.
If I want to watch a dull movie I'll go to RedBox or play WoZ. If I want to play some fun exciting blood pumping pins I'll go for some ACDC or Met or many of the WPC classics... and hopefully ST!

Tony- have you played WOZ with its current code?

#70 10 years ago

Allegedly.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

No, I have not... I'm sure its improved. I'll wait for a while and get some more plays on it with the new code in the near future but for me some of my issues with WoZ are just personal ones. The theme for me just sucks. I like the LCD technology but I think JJP went way too big with it and made it too much of a focal point which take away from a 'pinball feel'. I hope Stern and others goes LCD but much smaller and makes it less of a focal point. I still love a great back glass.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I agree with you WOZ is terrible game not only beautful but have very funny game play and LCD is +
After playing WOZ you will never see your other game like before
Just my comment

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Agreed! The LCD has to be coming to Stern soon, hopefully... I just hope they cut it in half or even a third from WoZ and keep a nice translite/backglass.

I respectfully disagree. If the role of the LCD is to draw observer attention and increase earnings, why go SMALLER than the other manufacturer's screen? Side by side, all other things being equal, what do you think is going to be a bigger draw: small screen or big screen?

If Stern is going to go LCD, then GO LCD. Go big or go home, I'm afraid WOZ's earnings are illustrating.

If Stern goes to the trouble of making the architecture to support LCD, but then gimps out on display size, it's kind of the worst of both worlds. Do it large or not at all.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

this is reciprocal skateboards 5 min ago...
all day. every day.
it's people who play often, first timers, kids, adults, walk-ins, regulars, friends, enemies. name it!
-jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for stepping up and providing some great info. Also noticed two guys wearing jackets in latest pics. You run one high class joint.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I respectfully disagree. If the role of the LCD is to draw observer attention and increase earnings, why go SMALLER than the other manufacturer's screen? Side by side, all other things being equal, what do you think is going to be a bigger draw: small screen or big screen?
If Stern is going to go LCD, then GO LCD. Go big or go home, I'm afraid WOZ's earnings are illustrating.
If Stern goes to the trouble of making the architecture to support LCD, but then gimps out on display size, it's kind of the worst of both worlds. Do it large or not at all.

Sorry, I just totally disagree... It gets away from a true pinball look and feel IMO. Keep a great looking back glass with an LCD that fills no more than a third of the back box... I would hate to see the backglass go by the wayside. The backglass and Pinball are synonymous!

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

If I want to watch a dull movie I'll go to RedBox or play WoZ. If I want to play some fun exciting blood pumping pins I'll go for some ACDC or Met or many of the WPC classics... and hopefully ST!

I wish AC/DC did it for me. I never have the urge to hit the start button one more time, even when it is the only game on location. It's just not fun for me when compared to most other games.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Sorry, I just totally disagree... It gets away from a true pinball look and feel IMO. Keep a great looking back glass with an LCD that fills no more than a third of the back box... I would hate to see the backglass go by the wayside. The backglass and Pinball are synonymous!

Yeah, i totally see that opinion. It makes sense. But if Stern is going to go old school, it should go old school: commit to a beautiful static backglass (and for the love of Pete, stick those fluorescent tubes somewhere else dark, and restore the old school backglass LIGHT SHOW!!!!!!). But to go with a BabyLCD I think serves neither purpose.

So I think the clamor for larger sized LCDs wouldn't be so great if Stern did some clever LED backlighting on beautiful backglass images. That would be cool.

But one cannot help but have the feeling that it will be an uphill battle with the younger generation.

And fluorescent tubes on a backglass are NOT Old School. Definitely a wrong turn there.

#78 10 years ago

The place looks bumpin, congrats Jon. I hope to make it up to Reciprocal soon!

-Matt

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I disagree. WOZ still has a very nice backglass and combined with the backglass animation it looks pretty slick. WOZ is already, and will be even more soon, a game with a deep ruleset and in my opinion the large LCD easily displays what's occurring for multiple modes easily as opposed to a DMD. While I really like LOTR and TSPP it can be difficult to remember what modes are running while stacked due only being able to display so much information at one time on the DMD.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I don't think Tony will ever like WOZ no matter how good the code becomes, lol. That's fine, its not for everyone just as MET and ACDC are not.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

The backglass and Pinball are synonymous!

Yep ,doing away with the backglass is not a good thing . Smaller LCD with a backglass is a much better Idea , It's my opinion but most people I know agree with this opinion.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I disagree. WOZ still has a very nice backglass and combined with the backglass animation it looks pretty slick. WOZ is already, and will be even more soon, a game with a deep ruleset and in my opinion the large LCD easily displays what's occurring for multiple modes easily as opposed to a DMD. While I really like LOTR and TSPP it can be difficult to remember what modes are running while stacked due only being able to display so much information at one time on the DMD.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't think Tony will ever like WOZ no matter how good the code becomes, lol. That's fine, its not for everyone just as MET and ACDC are not.

I'm having a difficult time reading you, do you or do you not like WoZ?

The real question is: Is there anything you don't LOVE about WoZ? I'm pretty sure you will love WoZ no matter what happens with it. And pretty sure The Hobbit is already a close second...

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

The numbers don't lie, make pinball exciting with video integration and innovation and it will have a chance of drawing new people in and create more demand....

A back glass is worthless real estate, its time to move on........

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The numbers don't lie, make pinball exciting with video integration and innovation and it will have a chance of drawing new people in and create more demand....
A back glass is worthless real estate, its time to move on........

For operators this is all good but I am willing to bet the true pinheads will not like to see the back glass go. Will not like to see the big honkin LCD backbox which kills the flow. Pinball is played on the play field. I don't want to take coffee breaks every third shot to watch the video play out. Pinball has had a backglass/translite from the start. If you start changing it too much then the death of Pinball is not far behind...

#85 10 years ago

The full sized LCD is a game changer. BTW, who are we to judge what "true" pinball is or isn't? The integration of full color HD animations along with attract mode are the next natural step IMHO.

I think Stern will have no choice but to add the LCD (full sized) to their future machines. They cannot survive only selling NIB to collectors. They have to make machines that earn for operators, and its pretty obvious that this change needs to take place. A small mono-color DMD doesn't hold a chance against a large HD LCD in a large line of machines in an arcade IMHO. A Star Trek pin with a full size LCD would be a huge title for them.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

The full sized LCD is a game changer. BTW, who are we to judge what "true" pinball is or isn't? The integration of full color HD animations along with attract mode are the next natural step IMHO.
I think Stern will have no choice but to add the LCD (full sized) to their future machines. They cannot survive only selling NIB to collectors. They have to make machines that earn for operators, and its pretty obvious that this change needs to take place. A small mono-color DMD doesn't hold a chance against a large HD LCD in a large line of machines in an arcade IMHO. A Star Trek pin with a full size LCD would be a huge title for them.

Yep, make your shot, watch a video, make your shot, watch a video, make your shot, watch a video... can't wait!

I'm all about the LCD but a much smaller version than we see with WoZ and much less of a focal point. Keep pinball PINBALL!

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

For operators this is all good but I am willing to bet the true pinheads will not like to see the back glass go. Will not like to see the big honkin LCD backbox which kills the flow. Pinball is played on the play field. I don't want to take coffee breaks every third shot to watch the video play out. Pinball has had a backglass/translite from the start. If you start changing it too much then the death of Pinball is not far behind...

The NIB collector market cannot support JJP and Stern. Operators, love them or hate them, are key to keeping both companies in business. Operators will buy games that earn. Same thing happened to Gottlieb when they got "caught with their pants down" and didn't adapt solid state in the mid 1970's. Games like Hit the Deck even had fake LED number renderings on their score wheels.

Stern will adapt or die. Stern will need to come out with a game that earns in the same league...plain and simple.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Yep, make your shot, watch a video, make your shot, watch a video, make your shot, watch a video... can't wait!

I don't 100% disagree.

However people are playing the game and the earnings tell the story. You don't like the theme...which is fine, but non-collectors on the street are putting they dollars into a machine that is somehow enticing them.

Remember, these machines have always been made for one main reason, to earn money. The collector market is secondary.

#89 10 years ago

This is my opinion, I think WoZ is earning great in a few locations because this game has been talked about for almost 3 years and people are curious , I want to see what this game is all about a year from now.

We were at the PHOF last Sunday and we were the only ones Playing WoZ ,the place had at least 50 people in it and no one cared about WoZ.

Maybe it was a off day, not sure.

This is what WoZ looked like the whole time we were there.

IMG_4207.JPGIMG_4207.JPG

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A back glass is worthless real estate, its time to move on...

A backglass is NOT worthless real estate , A great piece of artwork in the backglass can draw people to the game just as much as a huge LCD can .

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

A backglass is NOT worthless real estate , A great piece of artwork in the backglass can draw people to the game just as much as a huge LCD can .

Time will tell.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

it would probably substantiate your argument much more if you actually tried the game in its current state before contributing every other reply in every single woz bashing thread on this site. otherwise you appear to have an agenda. just FYI.

the fact about the LCD screen is that you only really look at it about as much as you'd look at your dashboard in your car. everyone i've spoken to agrees the game flows very very nicely, and the screen is a beautiful addition.

#93 10 years ago

Again, WoZ is something different, something not seen in pinball before. Like we talked about before it has the most wow factor and eye candy any pin has had in ages. That's what draws people in... but what keeps them coming back is true pinball fun. Does WoZ have that? I think it might be split down the middle right now with only time to tell us.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Damn, that place looks sad for many more reasons than woz being unplayed..

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

This is my opinion, I think WoZ is earning great in a few locations because this game has been talked about for almost 3 years and people are curious , I want to see what this game is all about a year from now.
We were at the PHOF last Sunday and we were the only ones Playing WoZ ,the place had at least 50 people in it and no one cared about WoZ.

Doesn't look like to be a lot of people there in general....

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Ha- I can picture McCune hiding in the shadows, staking out the WOZ with his telephoto lens so as not to accidentally get the stink of the game on himself, keeping tabs on the game the whole time he was there Keep up the good detective work, and keep those photos coming!

#97 10 years ago

and I have to contribute from my pinball player side... it's a really fun game!! it goes well beyond the light show and screen. the shots flow, the bounces are nice, the rules are there now and it makes me want to hit 'start' over and over. i'm impressed.

that's my subjective opinion, not based on any audits

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Like it or not Stern better realize the LCD helps draw folks in. I never cared as player but it seems WOZ is really working at grabbing folks to play.

The LCD was really the one dislike I had purely because it's split into 4 and VERY hard to simultaneously play and look up to get a status. Otherwise it sounds like it would be very sturdy for a home collection. I know I dropped a good chunk of change into a proto I played on location a few months ago. Very good build quality.

#99 10 years ago

I have a WoZ LE and I've played a lot of games, the lcd does not make me look up every few seconds to see whats it has on it. Its still pinball, you watch the ball make your shots. The lcd does not draw your eyes, but the lock shots and multiballs, skill shots, toto ball save etc does give you time to look and its really well done. I love my dmd pins but I would not buy another NIB unless it has lcd integrated.

Cheers

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I personally think that the addition of a DMD changed the game. The designers had to worry LESS about PF gameplay when they had programmers to take some of the workload off them with DMD animations/distractions.
There are a few good DMD pins out there but I find the Sys 11 era to be the most consistent design wise.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 91.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 16.95
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-woz-reliability-report-from-a-heavily-routed-machine/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.