New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 60098)

a woz reliability report from a heavily routed machine..

By bigehrl

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 272 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MTPPC
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

woz_lcd.jpg
NewC.jpg
black-hole-gottlieb-backglass.jpg
snickers.jpg
image.jpg
backglasswoz_492_detail.jpg
download.jpg
3870927332_e2654abbbf.jpg
IMG_4207.JPG
New_Canasta.jpg
IMG_6937.jpg
IMG_6930.jpg

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 7 years ago

we've all read a lot of stuff on here about woz's reliabilty on location. well, a lot of misinformation has been thrown around, both positive and negative, about its ability to handle high volume play. i have operated woz in nyc for about 9 weeks now, and i have no reason to be biased for or against it in any way. that being said, here's the performance so far..
- 5800 total plays (including paid and unpaid)
- repeat play percentage (customers playing again after their first game) is prob about 75%
- it's the first game that 50% of new players try, in a room full of 9 machines.
- the game has been shut off for a total of 2 1/2 days. once for a light board going, which I had a spare in the cabinet. The other time was for the upper slingshot rubber breaking. replaced it, and immediately turned down slingshot strength. hasn't occurred again yet.
-once in awhile the ball lock won't eject all the balls, or any, causing me to have to open the glass. this has happened 3 times.
-to date i've found this machine to need the least attention of any others in the room so far, but that's just me...

hope this helps. if anyone is wondering anything else about it (performance-wise), feel free to ask.

-jon - reciprocal nyc

#2 7 years ago

Moved to JJP sub forum. Thanks for the info.

#3 7 years ago

also i forgot to mention the coin slot got jammed once.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

once in awhile the ball lock won't eject all the balls, or any, causing me to have to open the glass. this has happened 3 times.

For me, that would mean 3 extra trips to the location.

Would give me an excuse to have a beer though ...

#5 7 years ago

Bigehrl,
Great info thanks man!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

a lot of misinformation has been thrown around, both positive and negative

You gained some street cred with that statement

Thanks for sharing your experience

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

For me, that would mean 3 extra trips to the location.
Would give me an excuse to have a beer though ...

If you've ever operated a game or played at home for that matter, stuck balls happen every now and then. While 0 stuck balls would be great, I can deal with it over the course of 5800 plays

Sounds like it's performing very well, but I'm curious about getting a little context. I'm assuming it's your best performer, so I'm wondering what is second and what the spread is (percentage-wise) between WoZ and whatever your #2 is?

#8 7 years ago

Thank for sharing, ed

#9 7 years ago

Ones that I played had broken slippers and I played one a PAPA and as I was playing a tree broke off of the pop bumper. Are these common issues? Everything else seemed fine and they played very well. Love the new code

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

If you've ever operated a game or played at home for that matter,

I do operate games. And I play at home.

Agreed, stuck balls do happen. I was just saying that would have meant 3 extra trips out to my location to clear stuck balls.

#11 7 years ago

After that many plays, how is the wear at the throne room, winkie guard, crystal ball, and upper playfields?

#12 7 years ago

That's a massive amount of play for only 9 weeks. Sounds like the purchase price will be recouped in no time. I wonder how many of those 5800 plays were from the general public simply choosing WOZ over the other pins, versus pinheads making the trip specifically to play WOZ.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I do operate games. And I play at home.
Agreed, stuck balls do happen. I was just saying that would have meant 3 extra trips out to my location to clear stuck balls.

yep, if you're an op you might be expected to actually visit your machines once in awhile.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from BriGuy5:

After that many plays, how is the wear at the throne room, winkie guard, crystal ball, and upper playfields?

no wear whatsoever! trust me, i'm a stickler for pf wear..

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

yep, if you're an op you might be expected to actually visit your machines once in awhile.

Once a week like clock work. But thanks for the tip anyway.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

we've all read a lot of stuff on here about woz's reliabilty on location. well, a lot of misinformation has been thrown around, both positive and negative, about its ability to handle high volume play. i have operated woz in nyc for about 9 weeks now, and i have no reason to be biased for or against it in any way. that being said, here's the performance so far..
- repeat play percentage (customers playing again after their first game) is prob about 75%
- it's the first game that 50% of new players try, in a room full of 9 machines.

Interesting details. Sounds like its been a big winner.

What are the other games in the room with it?
How would you compare the stats with other games you placed when they were new?

#17 7 years ago

That is all good news. Sounds like it is making money. How much are you charging per game?

#18 7 years ago

Yeah, at $1/game (I think that's standard pricing), you've almost paid for the machine in 9 weeks?

At 5800 plays in 9 weeks that's almost 100 plays a day - 7 days a week. You've got alot of traffic for that location.

#19 7 years ago

Jon,
Just curious what has been your take home earnings so far?
I'm not an operator but I assume you have to split with the venue?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

we've all read a lot of stuff on here about woz's reliabilty on location. well, a lot of misinformation has been thrown around, both positive and negative, about its ability to handle high volume play.

Not sure why you chose to label the other experiences as 'misinformation'? Some have had bad experiences and some have had good experiences but I wouldn't label it as misinformation... at least most of it.

glad its doing well for you!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Interesting details. Sounds like its been a big winner.
What are the other games in the room with it?
How would you compare the stats with other games you placed when they were new?

other games are spidey, getaway, fish tales, wcs94, creature, cirqus, jackbot, Star Trek tng, no fear. this rotation changes from time to time tho.

#22 7 years ago

What is the standard split with the owners of the establishments they are in?

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Jon,
Just curious what has been your take home earnings so far?
I'm not an operator but I assume you have to split with the venue?

i own my location. but i don't want to discuss earnings, just performance.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Not sure why you chose to label the other experiences as 'misinformation'? Some have had bad experiences and some have had good experiences but I wouldn't label it as misinformation... at least most of it.
glad its doing well for you!

thanks thrill-kill-bill! awesome input..

but you really have no way of knowing what other posts i'm referring to, so unless you have a question about my machine's performance, please go step outside and get yourself some much needed fresh air.

#25 7 years ago

Absolutely no wear on the Munchkinland playfield? You're having some impressive luck with that, several other home owners are seeing considerable wear along the edge after a couple hundred games.

#26 7 years ago

Like it or not Stern better realize the LCD helps draw folks in. I never cared as player but it seems WOZ is really working at grabbing folks to play.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Like it or not Stern better realize the LCD helps draw folks in. I never cared as player but it seems WOZ is really working at grabbing folks to play.

Agreed! The LCD has to be coming to Stern soon, hopefully... I just hope they cut it in half or even a third from WoZ and keep a nice translite/backglass.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

Ones that I played had broken slippers and I played one a PAPA and as I was playing a tree broke off of the pop bumper. Are these common issues? Everything else seemed fine and they played very well. Love the new code

The one on location at Free Gold Watch here in San Francisco had the tree issue, but the guy who operates the machine was there when it started to get loose and tightened it up since he happened to be there when it started happening. I think that machine has been playing fine since every time I go it's working fine.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I agree.

I hope the LCD AND the improved sound system rub off on Stern sooner rather than later.

#30 7 years ago

Thanks for that input its good to hear of so few problems for all those plays. Sounds like its making you good money to thats great. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

- the game has been shut off for a total of 2 1/2 days. once for a light board going, which I had a spare in the cabinet. The other time was for the upper slingshot rubber breaking. replaced it, and immediately turned down slingshot strength. hasn't occurred again yet.
-once in awhile the ball lock won't eject all the balls, or any, causing me to have to open the glass. this has happened 3 times.
-to date i've found this machine to need the least attention of any others in the room so far, but that's just me...
hope this helps. if anyone is wondering anything else about it (performance-wise), feel free to ask.
-jon - reciprocal nyc

I did everything I could to break that damn thing! Then again, it was down the same day after I played it!

#32 7 years ago

Great feedback. Sounds like the game has been very solid thus far and earning extremely well. Just think if 5,000 of those plays were made at $1...that's a lot of dough in just over two months!

#33 7 years ago

Hole Le Ship, 5800 plays in 9 weeks is old school traffic.

I used to say that a game would have to pay itself off in 2 months to be any good, and this one has almost done it.

I guess Jack was right, WOZ is bringing people back to the arcades in droves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I used to say that a game would have to pay itself off in 2 months to be any good, and this one has almost done it.
I guess Jack was right, WOZ is bringing people back to the arcades in droves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup That is some serious money in just a few months. The machine will have paid for itself in 3-4 months and then will be all profit for who knows how many years to come.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

How did the tree break off? It's made of rubber and screwed to the pop bumper. There's nothing to break?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Not necessarily, it attracts people that happen to be in the location. Or, pinheads seeking one in the wild. I sincerely doubt regular joes heard about it an are seeking it out.

Now I hope it's true, but doubtful.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

-jon - reciprocal nyc

Nice and balanced field report. Thanks.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Not necessarily, it attracts people that happen to be in the location. Or, pinheads seeking one in the wild.

Most pins on route might get 40-50 plays in a week. I know of an AFM that gets exactly that and it's in a good location along with Tron and Avengers.

700 plays A WEEK means that people are playing who don't normally play.

Those are insane numbers!

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You got tht right. Damn I need to become an operator & get free machines every 2 months!

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Most pins on route might get 40-50 plays in a week. I know of an AFM that gets exactly that and it's in a good location along with Tron and Avengers.

Its definitely a great theme for a route. It appeals to anyone and everyone. You don't have to be a pinhead for this machine to catch your attention and once it does your going to want to play it. Tons of eye candy and what a wow factor... the play numbers don't surprise me at all!

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Damn I need to become an operator & get free machines every 2 months!

That's how it used to be.

We used to put 4 KISS games side by side because there was so much demand.

#42 7 years ago

this is reciprocal skateboards 5 min ago...

all day. every day.

it's people who play often, first timers, kids, adults, walk-ins, regulars, friends, enemies. name it!

-jon

IMG_6930.jpg IMG_6937.jpg

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I could not agree more STERN needs to stop living in the stone ages of DMD and step up to the plate; We now have 3 other companies doing it; JJP, ZIDWARE and Highway Pinball. And it seems that the new Star Trek will be the same old DMD too

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

it's people who play often, first timers, kids, adults, walk-ins, regulars, friends, enemies. name it!
-jon

I love to play with my enemies

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

And it seems that the new Star Trek will be the same old DMD too

... and will sell like hotcakes!

#46 7 years ago

We now have 3 other companies doing it; JJP, ZIDWARE and Highway Pinball.

Don't forget MarsaPlay, they have had games with LCD backboxes long before JJP (way back in 2009)

New_Canasta.jpg

#47 7 years ago

Killer earnings stats; great durability report!

Great location too evidently; congrats!

#48 7 years ago

Sounds like you've almost paid for the machine in plays in just a couple months.

#49 7 years ago

100 games a day , what are the store hours? Place is hopping.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

100 games a day , what are the store hours? Place is hopping.

Why do you think I've bought so many gates from ya Jim??

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside