IMG_20220326_080533663 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220326_080526046 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220207_082232097_HDR (resized).jpg
heart button (resized).png
IMG_20220201_212208014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220201_205148320 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220201_204651842 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220131_212322809 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider etlandfill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

I realized it's been a while since I posted actual photos of this thing... so here's some new stuff.
Upper playfield almost done. Constructed buildings out of PETG light shields, complete with Mettaton standing in front of his resort with a target instead of a wheel. There are a few hanging wires (ramp switches) and a hanging flasher (ramp flasher) but those will be fastened down soon enough.

I apparently never posted an actual cabinet interior pic, so here we go. Computer goes where the coin box would be, next to a duplex outlet box switched by a solid state relay. Plugged into the box are the monitor and a spliced power cable that feeds the 50V transformer and the backbox sound system. No subwoofer yet. Probably should add one at some point. The motherboard is protected by a plexiglas shield which has indeed saved it a few times.

The makeshift prop rod (a leftover from building the outer guide walls) is now optional, as the playfield can be tilted up and held in place with a gate latch I bought from work today. This worked surprisingly well, and holds the playfield at approximately the balancing point so there's no danger of it warping from staying up for service for a while. Plus I can do any cabinet work I want without being worried that it will fall back down and use the ball trough as a guillotine blade.

Under playfield is pretty much done. Subway tunnels are built with the same laser-cut #304 stainless steel as the playfield ball guides. Probably more expensive than they could've been, but tough as heck... and that short run (shown far left, straight down to the eject) makes an awesome noise when the ball lands in it. I don't even know why, but I'm not going to complain. I love cool noises.

Finally... though I am ashamed, the word will get out eventually so I have to make it known. My cabinet is crooked. Horribly, horribly crooked. That's not a maladjusted lockdown bar - the left side of the cabinet is skewed forward by almost 3/4". Not entirely sure how I managed this.

And I believe I promised gameplay footage.
The above video shows off the new Tem Shop, extra balls, and a number of glitches that must be fixed soon:
- Extra Ball light stays blinking after collected.
- Ruins scoop event is triggered by hitting the subway that feeds it.
- Probably more stuff.
Can't see the screen? Never fear; I recorded a closeup of that too.

Looks great! I appreciate the details on how you constructed different parts and materials used. That really helps those of us in the homebrew community whose background is in other areas. Good work!

10 months later
#124 5 years ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

I watched Scott Danesi's workshop on homebrew games on Saturday, and couldn't help but be amused at his recommendation to avoid the excessive amount of time and effort required to build all the electronics from scratch. As Steve Ritchie commented when he learned I had done just that: "Are you NUTS!?" Yes. Yes, I am.

I think "nuts" is a relative term (and I don't just mean my relatives are nuts). Everyone has their own thing that they get excited about. I've designed a lot of the electronics and all of the software for my homebrew, but I get excited about all that, especially when I'm frustrated that my layout sucks. It's taking longer, but it's supposed to be fun, so why not do the things that you have fun with?

Good for you! All your work looks amazing, wish I could've been at MGC to see it for myself. I'm looking forward to any insight you have for the build process. I'd love to have a thread where people just post tips and words of wisdom.... I just wish I had my own words of wisdom to share Maybe sometime in the next year or two.

Congrats on a job well done!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider etlandfill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-very-physical-undertale-fangame?tu=etlandfill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.