IMG_20220326_080533663 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220326_080526046 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220207_082232097_HDR (resized).jpg
heart button (resized).png
IMG_20220201_212208014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220201_205148320 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220201_204651842 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220131_212322809 (resized).jpg
There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 1 year ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

here's the way the stats work. The game keeps track of a whole bunch of progress variables, with a set of each per player.

Awesome, thank you for the detailed overview! I'm gathering tips and tricks for a homebrew, so this is super helpful!

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I didn’t look at it super close but is the pop bumper skirt not registering a hit from the top side? It seems like a weird place for a ball to hang up.

That is indeed what's going on... sort of. The playfield is at least 1/16" thicker than standard, due to the plastic overlay, and it has messed with the functionality of the bumper to absolutely no end. Everything I do to adjust the switch or the ring ends up fixing one problem and causing another.

The last thing I did with it while the playfield was out of the game was pull the switch entirely and re-mount it at a new spot, so I could be absolutely sure the spoon was centered on the skirt. The biggest problem up until then was when the bumper would be hit off a ball launch, most of the time it wouldn't register. Realigning the switch did improve this issue, but it still happened once in a while, so I adjusted the ring to account for the playfield thickness by adding a couple washers near the yoke. With the ring at a decent height, the ball was more able to push the skirt down as it should. However, raising the ring also made the bumper's kick on the ball weaker, to the point where if the ball is barely touching the skirt (stuck behind) sometimes even a ball search won't push it out far enough.

As far as the skirt's sensitivity, there seems to be a weird balance where if the switch blades don't have enough tension, the bumper fires on its own from vibrations alone (particularly a hard slam to the Grillby scoop). But if I bend the blades to stiffen the switch and prevent those misfires, it ends up requiring too much force to press the skirt, and then you get a bunch of stuckies behind the bumper.

The REAL fix to this issue would have been to design the Snowdin area differently so the ball is never allowed to come to rest behind the bumper. That's basically bumper area design 101 right there.

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from MOSFET:

Awesome, thank you for the detailed overview! I'm gathering tips and tricks for a homebrew, so this is super helpful!

You're welcome, glad to help!
Pay extra heed to any part of this thread where I said I made a huge mistake. Don't do those things and you'll be golden.

#204 1 year ago

What style of pop bumper are you using? Would it be possible to take a router and shave out 1/16” from the bottom of the playfield in the footprint of the pop-bumper to raise the pop-bumper up? I realize that it would be a huge undertaking on a finished game with everything already installed.

If you ever made another playfield for the game it might be an option.

I don’t think it’s a deal breaker as is. The game plays great.

#205 1 year ago

The bumper is the standard Williams model with the Skype-logo-shaped base hole cut. I would imagine the routing solution would work (along with a fresh new unbent switch, probably), but if it's generally considered okay, I'll probably leave it - after all, it's far from the only flaw in the design.

I think if I were doing a new playfield, then rather than do a routing fix, I would produce the playfield correctly in the first place. Plastic inserts in a solid piece of wood and then a thin layer of art on top. One of the biggest hurdles to making a playfield similar to factory is my sign shop could only do a full white backing or full clear, which more or less took decals off the table as an option to print the playfield art.

#206 1 year ago

I think if I were doing a new playfield,

Doesn't CPR do one-off digital print playfieds? I know that was their plan, but I didn't follow up to know that they're absolutely offering that service. No idea what it would cost, but that would be a one-stop shop for a real playfield with actual inserts and printed art and clear.

#207 1 year ago

I checked their site - it's not totally clear whether they can do actual custom playfields or just rethemes, but the pricing is definitely on the high side. I'm pretty sure I could do some passable-quality custom work for a lot less - after all, anything is better than the overlay method I used for this one.

#208 1 year ago

leaning to the right, resulting in 306 left outlane drains versus 269 right.

...do you even proofread, bro. Game was leaning to the LEFT.

#209 1 year ago

I checked their site - it's not totally clear whether they can do actual custom playfields or just rethemes, but the pricing is definitely on the high side. I'm pretty sure I could do some passable-quality custom work for a lot less - after all, anything is better than the overlay method I used for this one.

I'm pretty sure they can do a fully custom one because it's not far from Trilogy option 2, but you'd have to make the cad file for their CNC machine or they'd have to assist you with it, which adds more cost. The bonus is the options give you two backglasses and two plastic sets, so do one additional playfield and you have a spare "touring" Undertale that can travel far and wide to shows across the land.

2 months later
#210 1 year ago

Just found this thread, and want to say how awesome I think this is. I’m feeling very inspiring and full of determination.

#211 1 year ago

Thank you so much! Seeing this post fills me with determination.

8 months later
#212 1 year ago

Necro time!

Midwest Gaming Classic approaches nearer and nearer, so once again it's time to make some improvements. Now, that said, there isn't much for this year. I was busy with a lot of other things, and to be honest, for right now I think the game has reached "good enough" stage. I mean, until I build it a new backbox with new art, but that's a future project.

I did implement a few software improvements, mostly bugfixes over last year, and FINALLY the ability to hold down the start button to force-end the game. Hopefully that will address those pesky abandoned 4-player games.

One of the first things I did with the debut of the new speaker panel was, of course, fold up the game with inadequate padding and scratch the paint off of it. Great look, very professional. So this week, I removed the panel...
IMG_20230323_185024793.jpgIMG_20230323_185024793.jpg

...sanded it down, and hit it with a fresh flat-black spray. Gave it a day to cure and then reinstalled. Looks MUCH better, and this time all my games will get nice blankets for their trip to Milwaukee.

IMG_20230324_194952858.jpgIMG_20230324_194952858.jpg
1 week later
#213 1 year ago

You know... I think this game might have been a bit popular this year?
IMG_20230401_163130122 (resized).jpgIMG_20230401_163130122 (resized).jpgIMG_20230402_145146362_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20230402_145146362_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20230402_134647925 (resized).jpgIMG_20230402_134647925 (resized).jpgIMG_20230401_195043730 (resized).jpgIMG_20230401_195043730 (resized).jpg

Had a weird software issue on Friday, possibly early Saturday, in which the game just gave up on trying to eject balls from anywhere. It appears to be related to ball handling registers because it would last through a forfeit/"restart", but clear up if the software or game was rebooted entirely. The great thing about this problem is that it was not only random, it never showed up for any of my own testing at home or at the show.

I'm giving serious consideration to redoing the code on this game, probably building off the Volcano Blast codebase still in progress. Sprite handling, particles, screen layers, operator menu... a bunch of extra stuff that would bring this game to the next level. I am already planning on building a new backbox that isn't crooked, maybe with a better monitor, and probably new art, so new code would really complete the refresh.

In the meantime, the game needs a good cleaning, a bit of tuning up, and a retrieval of the show stats before it gets packed right back up for a pop culture convention at our local college!

#214 1 year ago

You know... I think this game might have been a bit popular this year?

Yeah, yeah, but who was sleeping under the machine?

#215 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, yeah, but who was sleeping under the machine?

Napstablook. He wanted to be part of the show but thought he'd ruin it if he tried to interact with anyone.

(Honestly though, I suppose I could've come up with a better place to store moving supplies and personal belongings than under the game.)

#216 1 year ago

Napstablook. He wanted to be part of the show but thought he'd ruin it if he tried to interact with anyone.

I should have guessed. It does kind of look like him.

(Honestly though, I suppose I could've come up with a better place to store moving supplies and personal belongings than under the game.)

You're essentially on a limited tour with this, so why not a used roadcase? If you eyeball the auction sites (not ebay) you can score a decent used $800 retail case for a couple hundred bucks. Something like this:

https://reverb.com/item/59069603-calzone-large-road-case-tympani-size-2012-grey

Or look at all the options here:

https://www.westauction.com/auction/event-production-surplus-auction-of-speakers-amplifiers-road-cases-and-more-part-1-2602/page/1

#217 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You're essentially on a limited tour with this, so why not a used roadcase?

That may not be a bad idea if storage keeps being an issue.

Plus, then I already have some equipment if I ever branch out into another form of entertainment!
0f74e4e094b01899598936f15f56101b1678456677_main (resized).png0f74e4e094b01899598936f15f56101b1678456677_main (resized).png

#218 1 year ago

Please bring this to pinbrew in Girard Ohio!!

#219 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Please bring this to pinbrew in Girard Ohio!!

Looks like a pretty awesome show. I'd love to go, but at this point I'm still recovering from MGC - and it would be a ten-hour drive one way.

#220 1 year ago

Looks like a pretty awesome show. I'd love to go, but at this point I'm still recovering from MGC - and it would be a ten-hour drive one way.

Next year!

#221 1 year ago

Had a weird software issue on Friday

NINETEEN BALL SEARCHES. That was the record in a single game at the show as per my saved stats. If that was any of you, I'm so sorry. This code is going to get an overhaul, and I'm giving some serious consideration to removing the pop bumper at the same time, unreliable and a horrible ball trap.

Each flipper took on about 20K more flips over the show, 333 plays total. The ramps got hammered nearly 900 times, a few people managed two skill shots, and thanks to my updated pricing card that mentions the secret soundtrack, 10 people played OMOtale.

Difficulty tweaks are probably in the future as well; nobody got more than 5 boss monsters at the show. Mode totals averaged around 80K points, aside from pretty consistently higher scoring on Toriel (as usual). I might tweak Toriel's mode as a result of this; cutting the award in half would put it more in line with the other modes.

Shot frequency is pretty much fixed from past years, with side shots being hit around 250 times and moving up towards around 600 in the center. However, one outlier was Grillby, at 1,319 hits. People are constantly shooting for that scoop. I need to make it do something of value when it isn't awarding modes.

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-very-physical-undertale-fangame/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.