IMG_20220326_080533663 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220326_080526046 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220207_082232097_HDR (resized).jpg
heart button (resized).png
IMG_20220201_212208014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220201_205148320 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220201_204651842 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220131_212322809 (resized).jpg

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 4 years ago

I'm at mgc. Where is this game?

#102 4 years ago

Saw it. Played it. Best game at mgc. Wow!

#103 4 years ago

I had a flip of this at MGC tonight and all I can say is WOW! This game shot soooo nicely! The cabinet, backglass, and playfield artwork are top notch! This game is a true gem. Looks very professionally done. You should be very proud of yourself!

#104 4 years ago

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

So far it's had about 24 total hours of uptime, and not a single known game-breaking issue. Left slingshot kicker overtook the rubber 3 times, but my anti-machinegunning routine in the controller firmware prevented that from being a serious problem. During one game I was watching, all my controlled lights (matrix+flashers) went out. Since everyone seemed interested in seeing the insides anyway, I decided to poke around and try to fix it. Before opening the insert panel, I said "Okay, I'm calling it now - the LED on the lamp driver board will be solid, not flashing!" Aaaaand I was right. Tightening a couple of connectors and rebooting the computer fixed the problem.

FatPanda Now that I see your avatar... were you the one I mistook for another Pinsider? I knew I recognized the W from SOMEBODY.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!
So far it's had about 24 total hours of uptime, and not a single known game-breaking issue. Left slingshot kicker overtook the rubber 3 times, but my anti-machinegunning routine in the controller firmware prevented that from being a serious problem. During one game I was watching, all my controlled lights (matrix+flashers) went out. Since everyone seemed interested in seeing the insides anyway, I decided to poke around and try to fix it. Before opening the insert panel, I said "Okay, I'm calling it now - the LED on the lamp driver board will be solid, not flashing!" Aaaaand I was right. Tightening a couple of connectors and rebooting the computer fixed the problem.
FatPanda Now that I see your avatar... were you the one I mistook for another Pinsider? I knew I recognized the W from SOMEBODY.

I was the guy playing as you were talking to Josh Kugler about your game. He flipped it after I was done and we had a little conversation afterwards.

#106 4 years ago

I got to meet Kelly for the first time this weekend at MGC and had the privilege of snapping a photo with him and the game. I have to say, the level of engineering prowess to recreate the mechanics of a System 11 control system while maintaining very very smooth feedback from the playfield AND the electromechanicals is nothing short of outstanding.

Awesome work Gornkleschnitzer and I truly can't wait to see what you do next.

-- Jimmy

Me and the man!Me and the man!

#107 4 years ago

Well, you guys...

IMG_20190414_154348960 (resized).jpgIMG_20190414_154348960 (resized).jpg

I did it. I took home the Best in Show award.

Those of you out there who voted for me, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Seeing so many people enjoy my two years of work was a really nice experience, but to take the trophy for best game in the "Other" class (post-DMD) felt amazing.

I watched Scott Danesi's workshop on homebrew games on Saturday, and couldn't help but be amused at his recommendation to avoid the excessive amount of time and effort required to build all the electronics from scratch. As Steve Ritchie commented when he learned I had done just that: "Are you NUTS!?" Yes. Yes, I am.

IMG_20190413_194449169 (resized).jpgIMG_20190413_194449169 (resized).jpg

And I'm very pleased - and relieved - to report that after at LEAST 24 full hours of runtime, Undertale did not suffer a single game-breaking software problem. The closest it came was a moment when the lamp controller decided "Screw you guys, I'm going home" (probably in Cartman's voice) and quit responding to signals. A few interested people were standing around at the time, and as I was removing the translite to investigate, I called it ahead of time: The lamp controller board's status LED was going to be solidly lit, not blinking. And it was. A simple power cycle later, and we were back in action for the duration.

Also had an interesting moment that I wasn't expecting. I came back from the vendor hall Saturday afternoon and headed over to the homebrew area to see how things were going, and found Fortytwo working on an issue with Ghost in the Shell. A wire had broken off the ball trough and was messing up some software functions. Ed was fully equipped with the tools needed to fix it, but there was no place to plug in a soldering iron. But lo and behold, Undertale has a utility outlet inside! I opened up the coin door, plugged in the iron, and GitS was back up and running within minutes. It reminded me of jump-starting a car, but with pinball machines. I really wish I'd thought to snap a photo of that moment.

My cabinet definitely took some damage this weekend, mostly due to loading and unloading. The car keeps the weather off it, but I still need to come up with a smoother solution to getting machines in and out.

IMG_20190413_101201131 (resized).jpgIMG_20190413_101201131 (resized).jpg

As of now, I am planning on bringing the game back next year.

#108 4 years ago

Congrats! That's awesome!

#109 4 years ago

congrats, a great achievement and look forward to the finishing touches

#110 4 years ago

Well, you guys...
[quoted image]
I did it. I took home the Best in Show award.
Those of you out there who voted for me, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Seeing so many people enjoy my two years of work was a really nice experience, but to take the trophy for best game in the "Other" class (post-DMD) felt amazing.
I watched Scott Danesi's workshop on homebrew games on Saturday, and couldn't help but be amused at his recommendation to avoid the excessive amount of time and effort required to build all the electronics from scratch. As Steve Ritchie commented when he learned I had done just that: "Are you NUTS!?" Yes. Yes, I am.
[quoted image]
And I'm very pleased - and relieved - to report that after at LEAST 24 full hours of runtime, Undertale did not suffer a single game-breaking software problem. The closest it came was a moment when the lamp controller decided "Screw you guys, I'm going home" (probably in Cartman's voice) and quit responding to signals. A few interested people were standing around at the time, and as I was removing the translite to investigate, I called it ahead of time: The lamp controller board's status LED was going to be solidly lit, not blinking. And it was. A simple power cycle later, and we were back in action for the duration.
Also had an interesting moment that I wasn't expecting. I came back from the vendor hall Saturday afternoon and headed over to the homebrew area to see how things were going, and found Fortytwo working on an issue with Ghost in the Shell. A wire had broken off the ball trough and was messing up some software functions. Ed was fully equipped with the tools needed to fix it, but there was no place to plug in a soldering iron. But lo and behold, Undertale has a utility outlet inside! I opened up the coin door, plugged in the iron, and GitS was back up and running within minutes. It reminded me of jump-starting a car, but with pinball machines. I really wish I'd thought to snap a photo of that moment.
My cabinet definitely took some damage this weekend, mostly due to loading and unloading. The car keeps the weather off it, but I still need to come up with a smoother solution to getting machines in and out.
[quoted image]
As of now, I am planning on bringing the game back next year.

Congrats! Definitely want to play this sometime.

#111 4 years ago

Awesome game and really impressed with everything! Thanks very much for bringing it and well deserved best in show!

#112 4 years ago

Congratulations!

#113 4 years ago

Congrats on the best in show win! The game certainly deserved it. I was very impressed by how well all the shots flowed, especially considering you didn't even use a whitewood.

#114 4 years ago

Undertale was fantastic, the layout was different, smooth, little quirky, and fun to play. Great achievement!

#115 4 years ago

Thanks guys, I'm glad you all enjoyed!

If anyone happens to be super desperate to try it one more time (before next year or whatever!)... make a pilgrimage to Escanaba, MI before noon on Saturday. It's set up next to my TAF at 41 Lumber, and still running strong.

(You can actually hear the sound effects here!)

IMG_20190415_111614162 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_111614162 (resized).jpg
#116 4 years ago

I'd just like to add that Undertale took on 310 plays during the MGC. Not a single game-breaking failure!

It saved a large spreadsheet of many different audits, which I will go over and graph in the next few days. Details to come!

stats (resized).pngstats (resized).png
#117 4 years ago

My son and I played this a few times at MGC. Very cool game and lots of fun! There’s an Incredible amount of work you have put into it. Thanks for bringing it and look forward to seeing it next year!

I used to fly into Escanaba a lot in the past. Cool little town on the water with one really weird, freaky old hotel downtown that had all these different themed rooms. Fun times!

#118 4 years ago

To start with, let's commend the person who scored 1,463,460. You are awesome. This guy fought hard:
* 13.2 minutes of gameplay
* 32 shots to the ramps
* Maxed out at 4 extra balls
* Managed the plunger skill shot once
* 3 Tem Shop awards
* 7 monsters completed. You were SO close to the wizard mode!
* Another 37,000 and you'd have made the high score table.
* And when did this happen? Sunday at two in the morning. Whoever accomplished this must be an extreme pinball night owl. This would be during the late hours of the game bringer party (after I was asleep!), so maybe somebody here on Pinside can step up and claim responsibility for this epicness?

I've definitely realized, from looking at these results, that the default lowest high score of 1,500,000 is too high, considering no one quite managed to hit it.

The right flipper is definitely used more frequently than the left, as the game clocked 18,760 left flips and 28,872 on the right. The outlanes seemed surprisingly fair, clocking a similar number of balls left and right. About half of playfield drains went down the outlanes.

Most people didn't make the plunger skill shot, but one lucky person managed to do it twice in one game. The center ramp was hit more than anything else (1230 times) but Grillby took a relatively close second place at 988 shots. I was glad that I made the Grillby scoop award modes, as it's very easy even for beginners to shoot for. The orginal plan was to award modes at the shots with white arrows, depending on which boss character was active.

One thing that genuinely surprised me was that CORE was not, in fact, the least hit shot! Coming in last place for shots was actually the skeleton house saucer in the upper right, at 119 hits. More people actually managed to hit the resort kicker, at 152 shots.

One lucky player with a keen sense of timing was able to score a full 50,000 points on the Sans hurry-up mode, the only player to do so. He also won that two-player match and, in total, faced 3 monsters.

There were plenty of fruitful boss fights, as far as points go, but the record was set by a skilled target basher playing Toriel's mode for 210,000 points.

At first, I wanted to congratulate the player who'd managed to keep a game going for 20 minutes. However, upon closer inspection, this "player" scored 37,060 points, and finished the game around 9:42 PM on Friday. I'm going to take a wild guess it was me, opening up the game as it was still running, showing an industry insider some of my electronics work.

To the first player in a multiplayer game ending around 6:30 on Saturday, I apologize for the ball getting stuck. Center ramp switch would be my personal guess, but you had to sit through four ball searches, apparently. Next time I promise to do better. Interestingly enough, your opponent only won by 2,000 points!

I never measured the game's total uptime, but it was at least 24 hours. However, I do know that Undertale: Pinball Edition clocked a grand total of - seriously - SEVENTEEN HOURS of active play time.

And thus, Underpin has lost its HUO status. They grow up so fast...

#119 4 years ago

This game is AMAZING. Any chance of you making it to other shows like Pintastic in MA?

#120 4 years ago

Hey, you were just on my YouTube video!

I'll post my reply here too. I'm not much of a traveler, but there's been enough industry interest in this game that it's possible the machine might go places I don't. So we'll see what shows it turns up at in the future!

#121 4 years ago

Hey, you were just on my YouTube video!
I'll post my reply here too. I'm not much of a traveler, but there's been enough industry interest in this game that it's possible the machine might go places I don't. So we'll see what shows it turns up at in the future!

Guilty. I'm also your second youtube subscriber now haha. I found this thread after I found the videos. Congrats on your best in show win! You clearly earned it!

Sometime in the next year I hope to begin work on my from-scratch build (Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball) Id be super interested in any tips you would have for other builders. Its rare a project of this complexity sees completion so its always super exciting when it does.

#122 4 years ago

Thanks for bringing this to MGC. I get very little pinball play in while i'm at MGC, but i spent some time on this one. Excellent work!

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Id be super interested in any tips you would have for other builders.

Definitely something I will do! I might make a new thread in the future. Planning on building another game sometime (an original theme this time), and I already planned to write an interim thread to bridge the game discussions together. I'll be sure to add lessons learned and advice bits at the same time.

#124 4 years ago

I think "nuts" is a relative term (and I don't just mean my relatives are nuts). Everyone has their own thing that they get excited about. I've designed a lot of the electronics and all of the software for my homebrew, but I get excited about all that, especially when I'm frustrated that my layout sucks. It's taking longer, but it's supposed to be fun, so why not do the things that you have fun with?

Good for you! All your work looks amazing, wish I could've been at MGC to see it for myself. I'm looking forward to any insight you have for the build process. I'd love to have a thread where people just post tips and words of wisdom.... I just wish I had my own words of wisdom to share Maybe sometime in the next year or two.

Congrats on a job well done!

#125 4 years ago

let's commend the person who scored 1,463,460. You are awesome.

pretty sure that was none other than Jack Danger...

Things got a little fuzzy around 2am on Sunday but he was playing at that time(ish)

#126 4 years ago

Good to know!

My backup high score settings were apparently pretty stupid. I should have set the lowest at 500K - then at least a few people would've had a chance to enter names.

Quoted from etlandfill:

I'd love to have a thread where people just post tips and words of wisdom.

Me too. If nobody has created one by the time I start seriously thinking of my next game, I will do it myself!

2 weeks later
#127 4 years ago

Bring it to SFGE in Atlanta! We country bumpkins need this in our lives!

2 months later
#128 4 years ago

What's this??
These features weren't functional during the show!
IMG_20190722_215437758 (resized).jpgIMG_20190722_215437758 (resized).jpg

Is this... a mode that's actually telling you, on the screen, what to shoot for?
IMG_20190722_215711337 (resized).jpgIMG_20190722_215711337 (resized).jpg

And why is this light on during the game? This one definitely wasn't used either. And why is it green in particular?
IMG_20190722_215950081_BURST001 (resized).jpgIMG_20190722_215950081_BURST001 (resized).jpg

Stay tuned: Software improvements are coming!

3 weeks later
#129 4 years ago

Told you something was coming!

Updates:
-Three-ball multiball with locks. To enable, collect all three minibosses. Watch video for clues on how to do it or read below.
-Re-enabled the tilt switch! I had it turned off due to some phantom closures (which is BAD for that particular switch) but tweaking PWM frequencies fixed the issue. I take on two warnings in this video when dealing with a ball trough issue...
-Ball trough issues, apparently! Need to further tweak PWM on shooter lane feeder as well as Skeleton House saucer as both seem to have some issues kicking out balls.
-Also, somehow now there's an issue where the ball, exiting the center ramp wireform, can bounce off the playfield, over the double-stacked inlane plastics, and drain. That's a heck of a bounce if you think about it. Need to adjust.
-Slingshots are now way softer, which is good because the overpowered slingshots were bending the trigger switches backwards.

This game will be on its way back to the UP Pinball Collective soon, after some physical tweaks.

Spoilers: Multiball Rules.
-Napstablook is collected at the Ruins scoop. It is lit at ball start and times out shortly after playfield validation. Can be relit by the left ramp.
-Mad Dummy is collected at the Waterfall scoop. It is lit by the center ramp and must be hit three times to collect.
-Muffet is awarded by the Tem Shop ("Spider Donut") after either Hotland-based boss (Alphys or Mettaton). Small chance of being awarded any time.
-Once all three are collected, lock three balls at the side passage to begin Miniboss Multiball.
-Left ramp, center ramp, side passage, and Skeleton House are all lit for jackpots. Shoot all four to collect the super jackpot.

#130 4 years ago

I really hope I have the chance to play this some day. Just finished true pasifisit mode last night and started genocide.

4 weeks later
#131 4 years ago

Well guys, consider this the official announcement: Undertale's going to the Expo!

Will be setting up Thursday afternoon and tearing down on Sunday morning, so that'll be at least two full days that UT will be available for play.

1 month later
#132 4 years ago

Three days before Expo... ran through with some Novus and naphtha cleaners, fixed a faulty light bulb, and soldered a target diode that apparently missed QC. No wonder it was hard to hit the MONSTER "N" target! Everything cleaned up super nice and played with no problems whatsoever.

IMG_20191014_192226821 (resized).jpgIMG_20191014_192226821 (resized).jpg

There have been some serious bounce issues coming off the right ramp, in which the ball hits the playfield, bounces back up, and jumps right over the right inlane guide into the drain. Although it's not the prettiest fix, the oversize fender washer I added to the right slingshot post has totally eliminated the unfair drains.

Coming to Chicago Expo on the 17th!

#133 4 years ago

Today I put in one final software update, fixing a few things that have been bugging me for a while. All ready to be loaded into the car tomorrow at lunch time!

In the process, I plugged in a flash drive and grabbed the stats file. A little CSV splicing later and I have a complete spreadsheet of every single recorded game played on Undertale since March of this year. SEVEN HUNDRED NINETY-THREE PLAYS. Over 600 plays in the past 12 months! This machine has really held up well, requiring only a few minor tweaks to keep things running smoothly.

More stats:
Average score - 462,070
Total active play time - 63 hours
Total monsters battled - 1,387
Average monsters completed per game - 1.75
Total number of shots to both ramps - 6,937
Least commonly hit shot: Core VUK (avg 0.54 shots per game)
Most commonly hit shot: Center ramp (avg 5.09 shots per game, 3646 shots total)
Boss score record: Toriel at 500,500 points (more than the best Flowey battle on record at 405,000...!)
Total flips: 64,955 left flipper, 97,112 right flipper

Tomorrow I will reset the stats file (my running totals are kept separately, nothing will be lost) so I can see at a glance what happens at the show. Here's hoping for another 700 maintenance-free plays.

(The game took on 310 plays at the MGC, let's see if the Expo can beat it!)

#134 4 years ago

Took on 52 successful plays on Thursday. I think I have a glitch that prevents most of the high score name entries from appearing in the logs, as somebody managed a score of over 2,500,000 and either didn't make the high score table or his/her name didn't get logged. Oh well, congratulations!

Had another issue on Friday. One of the vendors was playing the game - and doing well, I hear - when he hit the Grillby scoop to start a mode, and the ball never came out. I assumed it was the Waterfall switch (which I later adjusted) but it occurs to me that the game never did a ball search, as he said he ended up walking away. Apparently, the bug in which the game simply never clears the event queue has happened again.

So I do hope that doesn't happen again this weekend. Will definitely need to add some sort of failsafe just in case it happens in the future. MarkInc was helpful enough to power cycle the game in my absence, and by the time I did get over there, it was up and running and being played again. Thanks!

#135 4 years ago

I think I have a glitch that prevents most of the high score name entries from appearing

Mystery solved. 99% of games give you high score name entry immediately after the last ball. If you hit the match screen, you're done. So people are seeing the match screen - "MATCH FOR EXTRA BALL" - assuming they're done, and walking away without typing in a name.

Was also sent a problem report that the ball keeps getting stuck on the center ramp switch. It's better than it was, but still a problem. Might implement a swinging gate or something.

#136 4 years ago

Mystery solved. 99% of games give you high score name entry immediately after the last ball. If you hit the match screen, you're done. So people are seeing the match screen - "MATCH FOR EXTRA BALL" - assuming they're done, and walking away without typing in a name.
Was also sent a problem report that the ball keeps getting stuck on the center ramp switch. It's better than it was, but still a problem. Might implement a swinging gate or something.

Ha, these procedural issues are fun. In a similar vein, make sure you have a timer on the high score entry, too. Believe it or not, Houdini didn't have this. I had to go all the way across town to fix a "locked up" Houdini pin according to the bar months after we put it out on route. The actual problem? Someone left it at the high score screen and it never timed out. There was so little animation on that screen the bar thought it was locked up.

Hoping some day your pin comes out west to CAX or Golden State Pinball so I can play it. Looks great!

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

In a similar vein, make sure you have a timer on the high score entry, too.

Yep, I believe it! IIRC there's a 2-minute name entry limit on this one.

When this debuted at MGC, it went viral on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/RedFireSmedis/status/1117090396516028416

This weekend, it has gone viral on Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Undertale/comments/djh2pk/custom_undertale_pinball_machine_from_a_pinball/

#138 4 years ago

Played this for the first time at Expo and it is AWESOME. I don't know anything about the theme and couldn't hear it, but it shoots amazingly well. Whole package including art & animation is very polished for a homebrew. Such a cool, unique four-flipper layout. Elwinesque.

#139 4 years ago

Looked through the pictures but couldn't figure out what kind of switch you are currently using. If you have balls getting stuck on the ramp switch you could try one of these:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5119-02

might let you get away without having to do a ball gate.

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

couldn't figure out what kind of switch you are currently using

Standard microswitch with wire actuator, as used in rollover lanes. The problem is that the switch is not ideally mounted. If you look at the center ramp, as soon as it crests the top it inclines very slightly down, before taking the corner to carry the ball towards the front of the machine. The switch is located on this shallow incline on the BOTTOM rail. The problem with this setup is there's no way to guarantee that the switch closes with every shot while also guaranteeing that a slow-moving ball won't hang up on it.

Fixing this issue properly involves moving the switch to one side or the other - either to the bend on the right, where the ball will always be going fast enough, or closer to the bend on the left, where if it's not going fast enough, it will always fall back and roll down the ramp entrance. I do think a ball gate would be helpful as it would give additional leverage over the switch and thus less resistance to the ball.

In other news, about a dozen software improvements are coming, hopefully in time for MGC 2020.

#141 4 years ago

Good news everyone!

f9d1045c27be5889e4eb1504fa105beaa57b5113_00 (resized).jpgf9d1045c27be5889e4eb1504fa105beaa57b5113_00 (resized).jpg

Undertale survived the Expo and the trip home.

Finally got around to picking up the furniture dolly and pulling the game out of the car. The game spent three cold nights in there, and apparently handled it just fine. Strange thing though: Since I set it up back in my house, the ingame timer system has been running faster. I don't know what brought this about, but it's as if the computer is no longer being slowed down by the USB HID connection to the controller boards. I'm not going to complain!

And now for stats.

UT took on 229 plays at the Chicago Expo, totaling over 16 hours of active play time. The longest game went on for over 19 minutes, and came close to the score record with 2,523,830 points. This was a very impressive run, with the player beating Flowey and getting the new multiball mode. The game was started at about 11:00 at night on the 17th, if anybody wants to take credit - matching confusion kept them from sticking around to enter a name.

The actual high score was 2,612,450. This audit actually makes me somewhat suspicious that there was a major game glitch. The player was only at the game for six minutes, and only battled two monsters. His score with Alphys? 860,000. The most points EVER awarded in any monster mode, yet nothing of value anywhere else in the game.

Stumped? Well, I came prepared when I was looking at the stats. When I got the machine set back up this evening, I found that the Mettaton target was bent just far enough that it would almost constantly register hits. It's very strange if this happened early in the show and then never happened again until now, but this is the most likely reason. Sorry, "MSG," I'm afraid your record has been invalidated due to machine malfunction.

Flowey remains a tough boss to reach, but two players managed it. "JOE BLASI" fought him as well, but only got off a couple of hits before he ran out of determination. Despite several determined humans, nobody ever survived long after facing the soulless flower, as one completed heart is as far as anyone got.

The mileage in general took quite a beating during the show, with the game taking on:
-1228 ramp shots
-15,929 left flips
-19,288 right flips

I think the game may have had a slight tilt to the right, as the right outlane gobbled up 250 balls versus 218 on the left.
Not counting the glitch run, the highest scoring monster battle was the champ's Flowey fight at 210,000 points, with Toriel taking second place at 160,000. The stats say 190,000, but I'm not counting that one because it was me.
Only four people actually got the multiball. Might need to make it easier or more intuitive. Or add it to the instruction card...

Disturbingly, one player experienced 13 ball searches. FRICKING THIRTEEN. I got a text from somebody telling me the ball kept getting stuck on the ramp, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was that person. Ramp will definitely need work. I never had to remove glass to fetch a ball so it had to be somewhere it can stop but be knocked out of, and the ramp is the only place I know of.

In general, it was another great public test and I think a lot of people had fun. Now to improve it for MGC 2020!

1 month later
#142 4 years ago

Although I have a few project games lined up - and the early design stages of another homebrew also in the works - I decided it might be wise to get going on those improvements so this thing is worth playing again at MGC.

Screenshot from 2019-11-24 21-55-33 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2019-11-24 21-55-33 (resized).png

Most of these changes are audio/visual:
- Smoothed out most of the fonts on the screen
- New replay animation, based on the old match animation
- Match-for-extra-ball has been removed, as it confused people with high scores and I couldn't think of a better way to handle it.
- Intro, bonus, and game over music has been changed to perhaps more familiar tracks.
- The iconic green grid is only displayed during battles now; during normal gameplay and other events, it is replaced with an appropriate scene from the overworld.
- FINALLY high scores are saved! They've always been logged behind the scenes, but now they are remembered on-screen after a power cycle.

Screenshot from 2019-11-24 21-55-18 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2019-11-24 21-55-18 (resized).png

1 month later
#143 4 years ago

Still gradually chipping away at a software update. More graphical enhancements coming along with more multiplayer-friendly end-of-game functionality is on its way and should be done in time for MGC.

Attended a tournament at Titletown Pinball in De Pere, WI today, and discussed the prospect of putting this game over there (for a limited time) sometime this year. The owner ekthoren was very receptive to this idea, so those of you around the area might have another chance to play this one.

Also, I've made TWIPY nomination! Their best-of-pinball polls are at the link below. Anybody who votes Undertale for best homebrew will receive IMAGINARY SPAGHETTI courtesy of Papyrus.
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/quiz/twipy-2019-ballot/

#144 4 years ago

You got my vote! Best homebrew I’ve played since TNA.

#145 4 years ago

Wow! Very impressive! Congrats. I love all these home brews. I wish I had that kind of talent.

1 week later
#146 4 years ago

After about 1,051 plays, I believe I see a pattern forming, and it definitely proves that hindsight is 20-20. Appropriate for the year.

This game seems to be tracking dirt and chewing up rubber at an alarming rate, and I have an educated guess as to the cause.

IMG_20191226_213001127.jpgIMG_20191226_213001127.jpg

I believe my choice of metal is to blame. The only laser cutting option from Pololu is #304 stainless steel, and it looks to me like the finish is finely flaking off as the ball touches it. Last night I cleaned up the playfield for the third time in this game's life, and the dirt staining the rag definitely has particles of metal in it. The tiny abrasives would also explain how the flipper rubber was worn almost all the way through.

Since I'm not sure I want to spend several hundred more dollars on an alternate metal cut job, I will just have to keep the playfield clean and maintained.

After the latest cleaning, I fitted the flippers with brand new Titan silicone, this time in red.

IMG_20200108_222801143.jpgIMG_20200108_222801143.jpg

Coupled with the latest code, I think we're just about ready for the second MGC showing, and the third public appearance!

Side note: the lighter color of the flipper rubber makes it clear to me that the flipper gap is too narrow.

#147 4 years ago

Thats interesting about the metal. If money were no object what would you replace them with?

Flipper gap is no big deal. Open up the outlanes to compensate

#148 4 years ago

After about 1,051 plays, I believe I see a pattern forming, and it definitely proves that hindsight is 20-20. Appropriate for the year.
This game seems to be tracking dirt and chewing up rubber at an alarming rate, and I have an educated guess as to the cause.
[quoted image]
I believe my choice of metal is to blame. The only laser cutting option from Pololu is #304 stainless steel, and it looks to me like the finish is finely flaking off as the ball touches it. Last night I cleaned up the playfield for the third time in this game's life, and the dirt staining the rag definitely has particles of metal in it. The tiny abrasives would also explain how the flipper rubber was worn almost all the way through.
Since I'm not sure I want to spend several hundred more dollars on an alternate metal cut job, I will just have to keep the playfield clean and maintained.
After the latest cleaning, I fitted the flippers with brand new Titan silicone, this time in red.
[quoted image]
Coupled with the latest code, I think we're just about ready for the second MGC showing, and the third public appearance!
Side note: the lighter color of the flipper rubber makes it clear to me that the flipper gap is too narrow.

Is the stainless grained or polished? If you mirror polish the lane guides on B/W machines to a mirror finish they become much more resistant to ball trails and dirtying up the PF. They also look great.

As an example this is a shot of a ToM I did that I polished out the lane guides. This is probably only about 75% as good as it COULD be if I went crazy on them, but I called this good enough.
ramp_sideview (resized).jpgramp_sideview (resized).jpg

#149 4 years ago

I gotta say, after having you know...uh...actually played through Undertale, this looks even more awesome. What a great game. Pity it's unlikely to see this at TPF. Awesome work man.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

If money were no object what would you replace them with?

Most likely the same polished steel that other games use for their guide walls. My recent understanding is that stainless isn't the holy grail of metals and can have corrosion issues. Thicker would be better as well; the inlane guides and habitrail deflectors are close to 1/16" and are a lot more resilient to bending, and I probably should have used that thickness for everything.

PBL uses some very nice (and shiny) steel for their ball trough assembly, so probably something like that. I will be looking into how to acquire such a thing for my next build, for which I am planning on using flat steel for not only the ball guides, but for the habitrails as well, as inspired by Quetzal's "Captain Nemo."

Quoted from PinMonk:

If you mirror polish the lane guides on B/W machines to a mirror finish they become much more resistant to ball trails and dirtying up the PF.

That looks amazing and I am going to seriously consider doing that on all my restorations. The stainless I am currently using was a little rough as sent to me, but I took a wire wheel to it to smooth it out. It's actually pretty shiny, although nowhere near your mirror pic. I assumed this process would have removed most of the rough/loose grain, but I guess I was wrong.

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-very-physical-undertale-fangame/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.