(Topic ID: 213534)

Undertale: Pinball Edition - Complete (for now!)

By KellyCorcoran

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Gornkleschnitzer
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 72 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

stats (resized).png
    IMG_20190415_111614162 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190413_194449169 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190413_101201131 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190414_154348960 (resized).jpg
    image000000 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190410_223505807_BURST001 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190330_155241114 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190330_152715995 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190330_123758623 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190330_125224160 (resized).jpg
    proto2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190310_123910008 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190310_123839805 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190310_123551319 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190310_123437475 (resized).jpg

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 days ago

I'm at mgc. Where is this game?

#102 7 days ago

Saw it. Played it. Best game at mgc. Wow!

#103 7 days ago

I had a flip of this at MGC tonight and all I can say is WOW! This game shot soooo nicely! The cabinet, backglass, and playfield artwork are top notch! This game is a true gem. Looks very professionally done. You should be very proud of yourself!

#104 7 days ago

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

So far it's had about 24 total hours of uptime, and not a single known game-breaking issue. Left slingshot kicker overtook the rubber 3 times, but my anti-machinegunning routine in the controller firmware prevented that from being a serious problem. During one game I was watching, all my controlled lights (matrix+flashers) went out. Since everyone seemed interested in seeing the insides anyway, I decided to poke around and try to fix it. Before opening the insert panel, I said "Okay, I'm calling it now - the LED on the lamp driver board will be solid, not flashing!" Aaaaand I was right. Tightening a couple of connectors and rebooting the computer fixed the problem.

FatPanda Now that I see your avatar... were you the one I mistook for another Pinsider? I knew I recognized the W from SOMEBODY.

#105 7 days ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!
    So far it's had about 24 total hours of uptime, and not a single known game-breaking issue. Left slingshot kicker overtook the rubber 3 times, but my anti-machinegunning routine in the controller firmware prevented that from being a serious problem. During one game I was watching, all my controlled lights (matrix+flashers) went out. Since everyone seemed interested in seeing the insides anyway, I decided to poke around and try to fix it. Before opening the insert panel, I said "Okay, I'm calling it now - the LED on the lamp driver board will be solid, not flashing!" Aaaaand I was right. Tightening a couple of connectors and rebooting the computer fixed the problem.
    FatPanda Now that I see your avatar... were you the one I mistook for another Pinsider? I knew I recognized the W from SOMEBODY.

I was the guy playing as you were talking to Josh Kugler about your game. He flipped it after I was done and we had a little conversation afterwards.

#106 6 days ago

I got to meet Kelly for the first time this weekend at MGC and had the privilege of snapping a photo with him and the game. I have to say, the level of engineering prowess to recreate the mechanics of a System 11 control system while maintaining very very smooth feedback from the playfield AND the electromechanicals is nothing short of outstanding.

Awesome work gornkleschnitzer and I truly can't wait to see what you do next.

-- Jimmy

Me and the man!

#107 6 days ago

Well, you guys...

IMG_20190414_154348960 (resized).jpg

I did it. I took home the Best in Show award.

Those of you out there who voted for me, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Seeing so many people enjoy my two years of work was a really nice experience, but to take the trophy for best game in the "Other" class (post-DMD) felt amazing.

I watched Scott Danesi's workshop on homebrew games on Saturday, and couldn't help but be amused at his recommendation to avoid the excessive amount of time and effort required to build all the electronics from scratch. As Steve Ritchie commented when he learned I had done just that: "Are you NUTS!?" Yes. Yes, I am.

IMG_20190413_194449169 (resized).jpg

And I'm very pleased - and relieved - to report that after at LEAST 24 full hours of runtime, Undertale did not suffer a single game-breaking software problem. The closest it came was a moment when the lamp controller decided "Screw you guys, I'm going home" (probably in Cartman's voice) and quit responding to signals. A few interested people were standing around at the time, and as I was removing the translite to investigate, I called it ahead of time: The lamp controller board's status LED was going to be solidly lit, not blinking. And it was. A simple power cycle later, and we were back in action for the duration.

Also had an interesting moment that I wasn't expecting. I came back from the vendor hall Saturday afternoon and headed over to the homebrew area to see how things were going, and found Fortytwo working on an issue with Ghost in the Shell. A wire had broken off the ball trough and was messing up some software functions. Ed was fully equipped with the tools needed to fix it, but there was no place to plug in a soldering iron. But lo and behold, Undertale has a utility outlet inside! I opened up the coin door, plugged in the iron, and GitS was back up and running within minutes. It reminded me of jump-starting a car, but with pinball machines. I really wish I'd thought to snap a photo of that moment.

My cabinet definitely took some damage this weekend, mostly due to loading and unloading. The car keeps the weather off it, but I still need to come up with a smoother solution to getting machines in and out.

IMG_20190413_101201131 (resized).jpg

As of now, I am planning on bringing the game back next year.

#108 6 days ago

Congrats! That's awesome!

#109 6 days ago

congrats, a great achievement and look forward to the finishing touches

#110 6 days ago

Well, you guys...
    [quoted image]
    I did it. I took home the Best in Show award.
    Those of you out there who voted for me, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Seeing so many people enjoy my two years of work was a really nice experience, but to take the trophy for best game in the "Other" class (post-DMD) felt amazing.
    I watched Scott Danesi's workshop on homebrew games on Saturday, and couldn't help but be amused at his recommendation to avoid the excessive amount of time and effort required to build all the electronics from scratch. As Steve Ritchie commented when he learned I had done just that: "Are you NUTS!?" Yes. Yes, I am.
    [quoted image]
    And I'm very pleased - and relieved - to report that after at LEAST 24 full hours of runtime, Undertale did not suffer a single game-breaking software problem. The closest it came was a moment when the lamp controller decided "Screw you guys, I'm going home" (probably in Cartman's voice) and quit responding to signals. A few interested people were standing around at the time, and as I was removing the translite to investigate, I called it ahead of time: The lamp controller board's status LED was going to be solidly lit, not blinking. And it was. A simple power cycle later, and we were back in action for the duration.
    Also had an interesting moment that I wasn't expecting. I came back from the vendor hall Saturday afternoon and headed over to the homebrew area to see how things were going, and found Fortytwo working on an issue with Ghost in the Shell. A wire had broken off the ball trough and was messing up some software functions. Ed was fully equipped with the tools needed to fix it, but there was no place to plug in a soldering iron. But lo and behold, Undertale has a utility outlet inside! I opened up the coin door, plugged in the iron, and GitS was back up and running within minutes. It reminded me of jump-starting a car, but with pinball machines. I really wish I'd thought to snap a photo of that moment.
    My cabinet definitely took some damage this weekend, mostly due to loading and unloading. The car keeps the weather off it, but I still need to come up with a smoother solution to getting machines in and out.
    [quoted image]
    As of now, I am planning on bringing the game back next year.

Congrats! Definitely want to play this sometime.

#111 6 days ago

Awesome game and really impressed with everything! Thanks very much for bringing it and well deserved best in show!

#112 5 days ago

Congratulations!

#113 5 days ago

Congrats on the best in show win! The game certainly deserved it. I was very impressed by how well all the shots flowed, especially considering you didn't even use a whitewood.

#114 5 days ago

Undertale was fantastic, the layout was different, smooth, little quirky, and fun to play. Great achievement!

#115 5 days ago

Thanks guys, I'm glad you all enjoyed!

If anyone happens to be super desperate to try it one more time (before next year or whatever!)... make a pilgrimage to Escanaba, MI before noon on Saturday. It's set up next to my TAF at 41 Lumber, and still running strong.

(You can actually hear the sound effects here!)

IMG_20190415_111614162 (resized).jpg
    #116 5 days ago

I'd just like to add that Undertale took on 310 plays during the MGC. Not a single game-breaking failure!

It saved a large spreadsheet of many different audits, which I will go over and graph in the next few days. Details to come!

stats (resized).png
    #117 5 days ago

My son and I played this a few times at MGC. Very cool game and lots of fun! There’s an Incredible amount of work you have put into it. Thanks for bringing it and look forward to seeing it next year!

I used to fly into Escanaba a lot in the past. Cool little town on the water with one really weird, freaky old hotel downtown that had all these different themed rooms. Fun times!

#118 5 days ago

To start with, let's commend the person who scored 1,463,460. You are awesome. This guy fought hard:
    * 13.2 minutes of gameplay
    * 32 shots to the ramps
    * Maxed out at 4 extra balls
    * Managed the plunger skill shot once
    * 3 Tem Shop awards
    * 7 monsters completed. You were SO close to the wizard mode!
    * Another 37,000 and you'd have made the high score table.
    * And when did this happen? Sunday at two in the morning. Whoever accomplished this must be an extreme pinball night owl. This would be during the late hours of the game bringer party (after I was asleep!), so maybe somebody here on Pinside can step up and claim responsibility for this epicness?

I've definitely realized, from looking at these results, that the default lowest high score of 1,500,000 is too high, considering no one quite managed to hit it.

The right flipper is definitely used more frequently than the left, as the game clocked 18,760 left flips and 28,872 on the right. The outlanes seemed surprisingly fair, clocking a similar number of balls left and right. About half of playfield drains went down the outlanes.

Most people didn't make the plunger skill shot, but one lucky person managed to do it twice in one game. The center ramp was hit more than anything else (1230 times) but Grillby took a relatively close second place at 988 shots. I was glad that I made the Grillby scoop award modes, as it's very easy even for beginners to shoot for. The orginal plan was to award modes at the shots with white arrows, depending on which boss character was active.

One thing that genuinely surprised me was that CORE was not, in fact, the least hit shot! Coming in last place for shots was actually the skeleton house saucer in the upper right, at 119 hits. More people actually managed to hit the resort kicker, at 152 shots.

One lucky player with a keen sense of timing was able to score a full 50,000 points on the Sans hurry-up mode, the only player to do so. He also won that two-player match and, in total, faced 3 monsters.

There were plenty of fruitful boss fights, as far as points go, but the record was set by a skilled target basher playing Toriel's mode for 210,000 points.

At first, I wanted to congratulate the player who'd managed to keep a game going for 20 minutes. However, upon closer inspection, this "player" scored 37,060 points, and finished the game around 9:42 PM on Friday. I'm going to take a wild guess it was me, opening up the game as it was still running, showing an industry insider some of my electronics work.

To the first player in a multiplayer game ending around 6:30 on Saturday, I apologize for the ball getting stuck. Center ramp switch would be my personal guess, but you had to sit through four ball searches, apparently. Next time I promise to do better. Interestingly enough, your opponent only won by 2,000 points!

I never measured the game's total uptime, but it was at least 24 hours. However, I do know that Undertale: Pinball Edition clocked a grand total of - seriously - SEVENTEEN HOURS of active play time.

And thus, Underpin has lost its HUO status. They grow up so fast...

#119 5 days ago

This game is AMAZING. Any chance of you making it to other shows like Pintastic in MA?

#120 5 days ago

Hey, you were just on my YouTube video!

I'll post my reply here too. I'm not much of a traveler, but there's been enough industry interest in this game that it's possible the machine might go places I don't. So we'll see what shows it turns up at in the future!

#121 5 days ago

Hey, you were just on my YouTube video!
    I'll post my reply here too. I'm not much of a traveler, but there's been enough industry interest in this game that it's possible the machine might go places I don't. So we'll see what shows it turns up at in the future!

Guilty. I'm also your second youtube subscriber now haha. I found this thread after I found the videos. Congrats on your best in show win! You clearly earned it!

Sometime in the next year I hope to begin work on my from-scratch build (Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball) Id be super interested in any tips you would have for other builders. Its rare a project of this complexity sees completion so its always super exciting when it does.

#122 5 days ago

Thanks for bringing this to MGC. I get very little pinball play in while i'm at MGC, but i spent some time on this one. Excellent work!

#123 5 days ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

Id be super interested in any tips you would have for other builders.

Definitely something I will do! I might make a new thread in the future. Planning on building another game sometime (an original theme this time), and I already planned to write an interim thread to bridge the game discussions together. I'll be sure to add lessons learned and advice bits at the same time.

#124 4 days ago

I think "nuts" is a relative term (and I don't just mean my relatives are nuts). Everyone has their own thing that they get excited about. I've designed a lot of the electronics and all of the software for my homebrew, but I get excited about all that, especially when I'm frustrated that my layout sucks. It's taking longer, but it's supposed to be fun, so why not do the things that you have fun with?

Good for you! All your work looks amazing, wish I could've been at MGC to see it for myself. I'm looking forward to any insight you have for the build process. I'd love to have a thread where people just post tips and words of wisdom.... I just wish I had my own words of wisdom to share Maybe sometime in the next year or two.

Congrats on a job well done!

#125 4 days ago

let's commend the person who scored 1,463,460. You are awesome.

pretty sure that was none other than Jack Danger...

Things got a little fuzzy around 2am on Sunday but he was playing at that time(ish)

#126 4 days ago

Good to know!

My backup high score settings were apparently pretty stupid. I should have set the lowest at 500K - then at least a few people would've had a chance to enter names.

Quoted from etlandfill:

I'd love to have a thread where people just post tips and words of wisdom.

Me too. If nobody has created one by the time I start seriously thinking of my next game, I will do it myself!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.40
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    $ 163.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 8,000.00
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside