8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by KellyCorcoran
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181201_192325915 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181201_181852404 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181201_142419447 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181201_132927356 (resized).jpg
    Science fair (resized).JPG
    Volcano Blast (resized).JPG
    IMG_20181004_201201402 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181004_170452200 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180908_191132474 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180909_112828935 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180909_112816832 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180828_175451543_LL (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180828_175322757 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180828_180634633 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180828_180836273_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180804_140259302 (resized).jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 38 days ago

This is amazing - my son lost his mind when he heard the music in the other room, wondering, "Why are you listening to Underta... OH MY GOD ARE YOU BUYING THAT RIGHT NOW?"

Definitely interested in heading up to MWGC 2019!

#52 38 days ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

I'm curious, why would you say designing the game in Future Pinball was a mistake? Do the measurements of objects in FP not translate to real life properly, or was it because FP allows you to leave out elements that with be crucial IRL? I've got some designs I made in FP that I think I'd enjoy building IRL if I ever find the time and resources, but I'm curious how much of a challenge that would be with them being FP blueprints.

I can answer this - it's partly the first two, but also that the default FP physics are bobbins - there are too many elements that don't behave in a realistic way. I still use VP 9.9 as a design tool, with my own set of accurately-built custom objects, and custom physics routines in the script. It still isn't perfect of course - VP's physics timer runs on cycles that are long enough to eventually predict, and it doesn't allow for skips and air balls unless things go seriously haywire.

At Heighway, when myself and SlamTilt would come up with intriguing ideas, or wanted to prove a concept, what would happen is one of us would build us something flippable in one engine, and the other would present it in the other engine - me in VP, him in FP with his own settings. Anything that after some tweaking flipped well in both versions, we could be pretty sure we had the best of both worlds and it ought to translate well to a potential whitewood. We built up a fair library of unused designs between us this way.

#53 37 days ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

I can answer this - it's partly the first two, but also that the default FP physics are bobbins - there are too many elements that don't behave in a realistic way.

You just hit the nail on the head right there. I still have an archive of old FP tables I designed years ago. Some of them have some nice ideas that I might reuse in the future, but the bulk of them would be either impossible to build, overly expensive to build in a way that works, or impossible to play properly because the layout depended on FP's wonky flipper physics.

One of the biggest issues that I had was that FP's more realistic graphics and components give you a false sense of confidence that something can be built as designed. While the 3D features might have been nice to have for UT's design, I feel like VP gave me the advantage that I had to think more carefully about what I was designing and how everything was going to fit together.

That said, I wish VP's saucer kickers behaved more realistically. The VUK in the upper left is so bloody impossible to hit that I am basically writing it out of the game rules. If I had thought to design that area differently (to soak up ball velocity instead of bouncing it straight back out), that would be different now.

In other news, this project has been a very expensive electronics lesson about how not to avoid inductance loops and interference. Further software compensation to follow.

#54 37 days ago
    Quoted from KellyCorcoran:

That said, I wish VP's saucer kickers behaved more realistically.

They've got a new beta for 10.6 that's looking to grant your wish - they're adding a "playfield primitive" object that you can punch holes into with a 3d modeling program, and with some work on the kicker size/hit height, you can basically make a saucer that the ball can roll around and into/past.

#55 36 days ago
    Quoted from LynnInDenver:

They've got a new beta for 10.6 that's looking to grant your wish - they're adding a "playfield primitive" object that you can punch holes into with a 3d modeling program, and with some work on the kicker size/hit height, you can basically make a saucer that the ball can roll around and into/past.

Saucer-lipping has been part of my custom scripts on tables for years, as is drop targets sweep physics, magnets, impact-type captive ball brackets, vari-targets and spinning posts. That's the other advantage of VP over FP: the ability to read the velocity and position of every ball on the playfield in real time, and directly manipulate those values in the script to create realistic interactions with other objects.

4 weeks later
    #56 7 days ago

Well, I don't know what specific part of my wiring I messed up, but my controllers have been getting progressively less reliable due to what I strongly assume is electromagnetic interference.

-The autoplunger sometimes pulses if you hit the flipper button too hard.
    -There were so many phantom switch closures that I had to modify the software to compensate.
    -PWMing the lamps to make them fade was making the game almost PLAY ITSELF by causing even more phantom switches.
    -An old controller crash bug has come back in spades, and controllers will stop responding after something as innocent as a random target hit, and won't come back until a power cycle.
    -Oh, and the knocker doesn't work. No idea why. Driver circuit is perfectly fine and tested.

I realized a couple of weeks ago that it has gotten so bad that it's barely presentable. Have you noticed the lack of gameplay videos? I can barely keep it running long enough to record one.

And thus, I have four and a half months to redesign the game's wiring, from scratch, to be more reliable in time for the Midwest Gaming Classic. This means pulling out all the electronics, chopping out most of the wire, and putting it back together like a real pinball machine is supposed to be.

The first thing to go is this horrible backbox wiring. Let's see...
    IMG_20181201_132927356 (resized).jpg

-Bulbs are attached to the back wall, six inches away from the backglass. And they're only 5v instead of 6.3. You can barely tell the backglass is even lit.
    -Monitor is mounted to an irregularly shaped chunk of wood held in place with drywall screws. You have to remove the panel to reach the monitor's cable connections.
    -But you basically can't remove the panel, because the wires for the FIGHT and MERCY lights are soldered directly into the rest of the light circuit and are too short to effectively get the panel off. No connectors of course.
    -Plus the panel blocks too much light, so the fallen human children are only half lit up.
    -Wires for speakers and knocker are just weaved through the field of GI lights.

Gutting the backbox was way too much fun.
    IMG_20181201_142419447 (resized).jpg

First order of business is to make a proper light panel, and a 1/2" sheet of plywood cut to 26x20 fit the bill. I took the basic method of marking holes - arrange GI bulb socket holes in Inkscape, print onto a few sheets of paper, tape them on, and drill through.
    IMG_20181201_181852404 (resized).jpg

It worked reasonably well, although I'll be adding a couple extra holes between the logo and ASGORE's head.
    IMG_20181201_192325915 (resized).jpg

Please excuse the monitor mounting holes, which somehow took me several tries to get right. Up next: sanding and painting gloss white, then mounting. Yes, I have already test mounted it and it's in the right place!

Big electronics order arrives Monday, including -stranded- wire (not solid, which likes to break) in all the appropriate colors. Stay tuned!

#57 3 days ago

Was Napstablook in there, sneaking a quick go with the phantom switches?

#58 3 days ago

"oh....
    I just wanted to try the game once.....
    I didn't know....
    Oh.....
    I messed everything up.....
    sorry........"
    ~Napstablook

I gotta hand it to you, that was a joke I didn't even think of!

Last night I successfully built a prototype version of the brand new switch matrix. Super pleased with how well it worked. Going to look into building a lamp matrix next, then I can start properly rewiring this thing!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9.95
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 78.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 21.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    € 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 78.00
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 449.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside