Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

x816680010457_Glamour.png.pagespeed.ic.0Tpoxxmjzd (resized).png
    EB609C9F-4168-4E65-8342-A85BC3F8D2ED (resized).png
    index (resized).jpg
    7AE14CFE-4841-4471-AA3D-3F49CEAD972E (resized).jpeg
    623543BF-EBC9-4ED0-90C1-29D0042E9994 (resized).jpeg
    36E656FC-38E3-4133-9295-C6255AD2772B (resized).jpeg
    5BEED3F3-5B6F-463B-BF92-E9FDDF016FF2 (resized).jpeg
    3CD5166E-9E78-43A4-B892-D860255547E3 (resized).jpeg
    050A5A9F-2391-43BF-886B-32287C16337D (resized).jpeg
    20180601_082153 (resized).jpg
    ED206FF2-3695-4B3B-A3B8-7A8674EC3473 (resized).jpeg
    829462600104-1 (resized).jpg
    9CD23A09-8DF0-4724-980B-437D16B59209 (resized).jpeg
    E3AE76F5-81F4-442F-A8D6-15AB32C9847E (resized).jpeg
    EE448B30-C6BF-4ED1-855D-D136B1957574 (resized).jpeg
    D3CE91A1-1977-4675-9AA3-9454C0CFD1B0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Honest question. How much more on average do groceries cost as a vegan on a weekly basis?

Even less. What can drive up the cost is organic food, but even that is coming down in price with more people realizing that it isn't a good idea to digest food that has been treated with a shit load of carcinogenic chemicals. Just the increase options I've seen for organic and health food in places like Costco over the past year has been amazing.

I prefer to think of it as plant based instead of "vegan". Just because you are a vegan does not mean you are eating healthy. You can still eat a ton of processed foods and still be "vegan".

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

My sister in law is vegan and got my brother to go vegan. Her hair is falling out so much she's going bald and has to wear a baseball cap. My brother has become frail looking and complains a lot about joint pain. They both eat a lot of processed crap and don't take the time to make healthy meals. The problem with going vegan is that it takes a lot more thought and effort to eat right and get all the proper nutrients that a body needs. Being a vegetarian is a lot easier.
    As someone said previously, humans evolved big brains and intelligence because of a diet high in animal protein and fat. It's pretty obvious when you look at nature, the carnivores on average are far more intelligent than the herbivores. If humans move to a vegan diet, it would be interesting to see if over many many years we started losing intelligence as a species.

I hope they get it sorted out pretty quickly, but you may want to suggest they start incorporating whole foods in their diet. We do have several studies that have a life span of an entire generation (Nurse's Health Study, 7 Day Adventists Study, etc), that provide us with information on chronic diseases and link to behaviors. The key isn't really adopting a "vegan diet", but eating foods that are plant based. I honestly try not to eat any food that I can't recognize an ingredient of.

And yes....Broccoli should be consumed every day. It's able to help the body produce a compound called Sulforaphane that has shown in early studies to be as close to a wonder drug as we likely have, it protects cells against damage at various levels.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

There is so much great vegan ice cream now, based on coconut, almond or cashew milk. There are even non-dairy Ben & Jerry’s and Breyer’s now!! Granted it’s not health food or anything, still tons of sugar, but tastes great!

Cashew ice cream is incredible.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Could not agree more. Meat is not good for digestion either, but dairy can really play havoc with the gut. I think 60% of the worlds population is lactose intolerant. That says a lot.
    The importance of cows milk:
    » YouTube video

I tell people if you do nothing else, do the following at a minimum:

Eat 1 salad every day
    Eliminate processed meats
    Eliminate dairy

The correlation between diary and cancer is high, real high. It causes constipation and inflammation in the GI system and is the leading cause of adolescent acne. And they have a very power full lobby....

"Got Milk"?
    "Milk, it does a Body Good"

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

Sunshine is the best source of vitamin D!

Some people have a difficult time absorbing it, like me. I have to have a prescription for it. They are finding out it is extremely important for overall health and that many people don't even realize they are deficient.

There are also many supplements available over the counter.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I havent, But Im so grateful you shared this with me!
    I havent had digestive issues for years, mostly.
    Mine were caused by reduced blood flow, and having a Doc that oversubscribed antibiotics, so the wrong bacteria, (Candida +)
    flourished. No antibiotics now for 12 years, and no issues.
    But for others this is amazing, and I will tear into this herb and research!!!! THANKS!
    My focus has been on arterial cleaning mostly now, and how to affect plaque, and any pathogens.
    The byproducts of this work have been Vegan Diet (Immediate), Genetic Treatment (future), and Protoelytic Enzyme Therapy.
    (the breaking down of proteins, and cellular digestion)
    Most people do this process well, on their own, and a quick indicator might be ones Triglyceride levels, and how ones own body is affecting this
    by diet, exercise, stress, etc. (Age and Free Testosterone too!)
    Eating Better as we all get older, as much of a Vegan diet as possible, is important to many people to ward off Doctors, and health issues in the future, and I think that is one reason others might feel Vegans are a bit heavy handed in vocal sharing.
    Those that kept telling me, only had my best interest at heart, and Im grateful for them sharing, as I am for this thread, and what Im learning here.

The pubic is starting to become aware on how dangerous NSAIDs and antibiotics can be. Obviously if you need them, you have to use them. I had a staff infection and antibiotics saved my life. Having said that, the overprescribing of them in another thing as they not only kill the bad bacteria, but the good ones as well. Continue to get leafy greens to improve your probiotics in your gut. Spinach, Kale, etc.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I’m shocked too. Figured pinsider majority was meat loving and thought there’d be a lot more arguments going on. Crazy!

It shouldn't be about arguing, but about information sharing. The Pharmas and big food industries literally use the same tactics that the tobacco companies did for years...like attacking those who dare to speak up, financing their own studies with dubious results, slick marketing, etc.

I believe you don't need to fully cut out all meat in order to improve your diet or go full vegan/vegetarian. Eat a salad a day, double the size of your vegetable portions, reduce processed meat/foods, drink green tea, and add nuts/berries/whole grains to your meals are you will be on your way of improving your health in no time.

If you want the gold star, add Turmeric, Ginger, Broccoli sprouts, lemon water, and Hibiscus Tea.

#163 5 years ago

Does anyone have a good option for veggie hot dogs or sausages? I've found decent substitutes for burgers, meat balls (Gardien), but have yet to find a decent sausage substitute. Everything we have tried tastes like ass.

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

These have egg whites but if that’s not an issue these are by far my favorite!

Quoted from Rarehero:

Field Roast brand is very good. That’s what I put on my pizza a few posts up.
    https://fieldroast.com/product-family/sausages/

Thanks! I am going to give those two products a try.

1 week later
    #210 5 years ago

Trying to avoid fructose and corn syrup isn't too bad these days. Trying to avoid sugar is very difficult.

#219 5 years ago

The cashew ice cream is also loaded with sugar, but it tastes just as good as the real thing.

Remember that just because something is labled vegan, doesn't mean it's healthy. I would personally stay away from that Earth Balance line. The "natural flavor" ingredient has given rise to it being a margarine derivative.

#230 5 years ago
    Quoted from nikpinball:

The same doc told me I was going to be the guy who has his first stroke by 50. So I quit drinking pop/soda, cut back on sugar in general and now eat a mostly plant based diet (I eat meat only once every few days) and this year my results were great and he no longer thinks I'm at significant health risk.

Congrats! Great story.

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

what i love about labels is almost everything includes "natural ingredients/flavoring", like really?? Natural ingredients could be anything; could be arsenic, could be mercury, could be human brains lol.

Agreed. That is a loophole. I literally try and not eat anything with ingredients I don't know what they are.

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

Go be purposefully inflammatory in the alien thread with the rest of pinside's shit posters.

Nice.

#255 5 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m 48 hours into this meat-free diet and I can already feel a difference. Is it normal to get a little more blood flow, if you know what I mean?

Ask your Doctor for a set of lab tests (blood), and use it as a base line. Liver panel, triglycerides level, etc.

Check it again after 30-45 days.

1 month later
    #304 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Before all the vegan cheeses came out, I was doing cheese-less pizza all the time. Sometimes I'd put dollops of hummus on it...hummus is a pretty decent cheese replacement if you don't like vegan cheeses.

I skip cheese all together. Rice flour crust with tons of vegetables, don't miss the cheese at all. To me, dairy is like sugar. Once your body abstains from it for a while, it almost becomes sickening when you try and eat it again.

This is no coincidence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/28/well/live/colon-and-rectal-cancers-rising-in-young-people.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/28/well/live/colon-and-rectal-cancers-rising-in-young-people.html

4 years later
    #334 1 year ago

Trying to see if we can bump this up. Been awhile.

How has everybody been doing? I've been holding well. Started to grow microgreens and using them in the diet. Have some health issues going on now, but still pushing forward.

#336 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Going on ten years vegan (for the animals). Prior to that, eating piles of meat was a bigger hobby than pinball. With metabolism slowing down, cutting down on the junk food.

Congrats on 10 years.

I started to slow down on meat intake about 8 years ago. Prior to that - buying a half of anything was as you say....a hobby.

But now - at 52, I wonder if it wasn't too late? Guess we're all there.

#341 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Bump
    Part time vegetarian here, still evolving and learning. Not sure if I'll ever make a complete transition or want to.
    Oat Milk rules !

Nothing wrong with that Kim. I'm a 90% vegan, and it's better that way as I don't find myself "missing" anything.

There is a good documentary (I forgot who did it) that works this premise in...

Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants.

That is what I live by.

#342 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I should add that I'd love to see everyone's favorite vegan dishes. I was in a vegan facebook group briefly, most people were cool, but a few were incredibly insufferable that it killed any desire for me to part of that community.

Lots of them, but my go to is usually a stir fry. Just look in the fridge for whatever vegetables I have on hand, add some spices (cumin is a superpower), and go from there.

Another go to is my balsamic red cabbage. Cheap and loaded with antioxidants.

#344 1 year ago

Might have shared this before, but this is my go to site for medical nutritional research. This guy is all over the place now in documentaries and interviews, but he's been doing this for 10 or so years. His team goes through the thousands of research studies and makes short videos on the results. It's a very comprehensive depository of foods and associated medical harm/benefits of different types of foods.

What is interesting, is you will see a result or a cause and effect. Then you will see more studies that support the conclusion. Yet when you go out in the world and search on sites that are to promote something (take the American Diabetes Association) and they have exactly the WRONG foods listed (as they get $ support from these industries) - it makes you shake your head and doubt "experts" all the time now. It's a hell of a situation.

https://nutritionfacts.org/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-vegan-thread-for-bobukcat?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.