Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

x816680010457_Glamour.png.pagespeed.ic.0Tpoxxmjzd (resized).png
    EB609C9F-4168-4E65-8342-A85BC3F8D2ED (resized).png
    index (resized).jpg
    7AE14CFE-4841-4471-AA3D-3F49CEAD972E (resized).jpeg
    623543BF-EBC9-4ED0-90C1-29D0042E9994 (resized).jpeg
    36E656FC-38E3-4133-9295-C6255AD2772B (resized).jpeg
    5BEED3F3-5B6F-463B-BF92-E9FDDF016FF2 (resized).jpeg
    3CD5166E-9E78-43A4-B892-D860255547E3 (resized).jpeg
    050A5A9F-2391-43BF-886B-32287C16337D (resized).jpeg
    20180601_082153 (resized).jpg
    ED206FF2-3695-4B3B-A3B8-7A8674EC3473 (resized).jpeg
    829462600104-1 (resized).jpg
    9CD23A09-8DF0-4724-980B-437D16B59209 (resized).jpeg
    E3AE76F5-81F4-442F-A8D6-15AB32C9847E (resized).jpeg
    EE448B30-C6BF-4ED1-855D-D136B1957574 (resized).jpeg
    D3CE91A1-1977-4675-9AA3-9454C0CFD1B0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I was in Los Angeles last week

Shoulda hit me up, mang!!!

Quoted from vicjw66:

More
    And our pizza is better here too. I was not at all impressed with your deep dish pizza, nor New York's cardboard pizza. Our food is awesome.

Deep dish is the best. Masa in Echo Park makes legit Chicago deep dish - they import the water so they can make the dough right! And - they do a vegan version!!! It’s so amazing. The tomatoes are so sweet and fresh, and the crust is perfect.

Actually, all pizza is pretty f-ing good. It’s pizza!!!!

#302 5 years ago

I have gone to Blaze several times now after being vegan. They have vegan cheese, but I much prefer their pizza's without any cheese at all. I have to say that I am really surprised by how good a pizza can still be without any cheese. Whoda thunk it?

#303 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I have gone to Blaze several times now after being vegan. They have vegan cheese, but I much prefer their pizza's without any cheese at all. I have to say that I am really surprised by how good a pizza can still be without any cheese. Whoda thunk it?

Before all the vegan cheeses came out, I was doing cheese-less pizza all the time. Sometimes I'd put dollops of hummus on it...hummus is a pretty decent cheese replacement if you don't like vegan cheeses.

#304 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Before all the vegan cheeses came out, I was doing cheese-less pizza all the time. Sometimes I'd put dollops of hummus on it...hummus is a pretty decent cheese replacement if you don't like vegan cheeses.

I skip cheese all together. Rice flour crust with tons of vegetables, don't miss the cheese at all. To me, dairy is like sugar. Once your body abstains from it for a while, it almost becomes sickening when you try and eat it again.

This is no coincidence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/28/well/live/colon-and-rectal-cancers-rising-in-young-people.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/28/well/live/colon-and-rectal-cancers-rising-in-young-people.html

#305 5 years ago

Fun fact: the whole salad dressing market is biased off the fact that people don’t like the taste of veggies.

#306 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Fun fact: the whole salad dressing market is biased off the fact that people don’t like the taste of veggies.

IMO the only foods that don't need some sort of seasoning are fruits.

#307 5 years ago

Quoted from mcluvin:

IMO the only foods that don't need some sort of seasoning are fruits.

Maybe if most salads weren't mostly iceberg lettuce and had other things in them with some flavor people wouldn't need as much or any salad dressing.

#308 5 years ago

That’s like saying the BBQ/Teriyaki/Marinade/Any-sauce-ever market exists because people don’t like the taste of meat.

#309 5 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Maybe if most salads weren't mostly iceberg lettuce and had other things in them with some flavor people wouldn't need as much or any salad dressing.

I use spring mix greens. Not a fan of iceberg lettuce. Feta cheese, sliced almonds, and berries help a lot with flavor and texture without adding too many calories.

#310 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I use spring mix greens. Not a fan of iceberg lettuce. Feta cheese, sliced almonds, and berries help a lot with flavor and texture without adding too many calories.

Iceberg is worthless.
    Zero calories, but no fiber, no vitamins and NO FLAVOR! I'll take Romaine, endive, spinach or as you said mixed greens any day of the week over iceberg.

#311 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Baby Arugula FTW!

#312 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That’s like saying the BBQ/Teriyaki/Marinade/Any-sauce-ever market exists because people don’t like the taste of meat.

Touché. I’ll give ya that...just a little light hearted conjecture.

#313 5 years ago

I thought this was funny - Edward James Olmos went to Vinh Loi Tofu 3 times in a row this week!!! The owner keeps posting pics lol.

If you’re ever in Reseda, CA, Vinh Loi is one of my all time favorites! Vegan Vietnamese.

36E656FC-38E3-4133-9295-C6255AD2772B (resized).jpeg36E656FC-38E3-4133-9295-C6255AD2772B (resized).jpeg623543BF-EBC9-4ED0-90C1-29D0042E9994 (resized).jpeg623543BF-EBC9-4ED0-90C1-29D0042E9994 (resized).jpeg7AE14CFE-4841-4471-AA3D-3F49CEAD972E (resized).jpeg7AE14CFE-4841-4471-AA3D-3F49CEAD972E (resized).jpeg
    #314 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I thought this was funny - Edward James Olmos went to Vinh Loi Tofu 3 times in a row this week!!!

Lieutenant Castillo must really like Vietnamese food.

#315 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Lieutenant Castillo must really like Vietnamese food.

You mean Gaff does.

2 weeks later
    #316 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

The millennials that I work with say something often, and it's actually something I can agree with them on. They are fond of saying, "You do you and let me do me".

Knowing Millennials they were probably talking about sex.

#317 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Knowing Millennials they were probably talking about sex.

Millennials don't talk about sex.

#318 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Not sure how you figure that. I’m a meat eater and damn proud of it. I’ll have my once a week juicy hamburger and my once a week dozen of hot wings. And my daily portions of chicken. Although I do think being a vegan is an extreme I also like to try different foods and listen to what others think. Actually tried my first almond milk last night and decided to ad a daily salad to my diet just from reading this post.

WOW! 63 days since I've last been on this thread. I'm now dairy milk free. It's Almond milk all the way. And an evening salad with a fruit to go with. Dropped another 10 pounds. Total weight loss has been from 205lbs down to 160lbs in the last year. I'm 5'8" and still want to lose 5 more pounds down to 155. Been close to hitting at 157 but been drinking too much beer.

#319 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Millennials don't talk about sex.

That was my point.

#320 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

WOW! 63 days since I've last been on this thread. I'm now dairy milk free. It's Almond milk all the way. And an evening salad with a fruit to go with. Dropped another 10 pounds. Total weight loss has been from 205lbs down to 160lbs in the last year. I'm 5'8" and still want to lose 5 more pounds down to 155. Been close to hitting at 157 but been drinking too much beer.

Congrats! That last 10% of weight is a bitch to lose. I really have to increase my activity level to do it.

#321 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

That was my point.

Your point was that Millennials don't talk about sex by saying that they were talking about sex?

#322 5 years ago
    index (resized).jpgindex (resized).jpg
    #323 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Your point was that Millennials don't talk about sex by saying that they were talking about sex?

Exactly.

#324 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Congrats! That last 10% of weight is a bitch to lose. I really have to increase my activity level to do it.

Tell me about it. I lost about 30 lbs in the first 4 months by just changing my diet. Cut out all junk food, fast foods, and cut down on calories. Next 5 months was up and down from 170 back to 180. Stayed up and down in that 10 pound range. Switched to eating a salad and a peace of fruit in the evening and that helped push me down to 160. Now I'm stuck between 158 and 163. Never did any kind of exercise routine but work at a physically demanding job. I feel much better with the weight loss. Fit into clothes I haven't been able to wear in years.
    Funny because this was supposed to be a joke thread but really help me out with my weight loss goal.

#325 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Funny because this was supposed to be a joke thread but really help me out with my weight loss goal.

Congrats man...never would have expected someone to say this

Joke thread yes, but I’m serious about the issue...at 40 115/75 @ 150lb I’m feeling The best I have in over 20 years...down from 210lbs w/pre hypertension

Keep up the good work

#326 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Congrats man...never would have expected someone to say this
    Joke thread yes, but I’m serious about the issue...at 40 115/75 @ 150lb I’m feeling The best I have in over 20 years...down from 210lbs w/pre hypertension
    Keep up the good work

Wow, congrats! I went from 216 to 179 a few years ago, and I'm back around 200 right now...150 seems like it would be IMPOSSIBLE! Next week I'm gonna get "back on the wagon" (daily exercise, cutting out sugar, cutting back on carbs/processed stuff) and try to get back into shape again.

#327 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Wow, congrats! I went from 216 to 179 a few years ago, and I'm back around 200 right now...150 seems like it would be IMPOSSIBLE! Next week I'm gonna get "back on the wagon" (daily exercise, cutting out sugar, cutting back on carbs/processed stuff) and try to get back into shape again.

Thanks!

Wrench back on your sugar and about 15lbs will melt off...stop drinking your daily calories or at least make sure no drink exceedes about 30...and avoid diet drinks altogether...water for the win!!!

Chips (my weakness) and breads etc. should be at a minimum...

Combine that with just brisk walks around the neighborhood enough to get your heart rate up and when your endurance starts to build, start jogging a bit.

#328 5 years ago

Combine that with just brisk walks around the neighborhood enough to get your heart rate up and when your endurance starts to build, start jogging a bit.

I like cycling. Easier on the joints.

#329 5 years ago

I took a bicycle ride to my old high school yesterday. It would seem that my rep as a bitchin dude has faded some.

#330 5 years ago

Where's the good vegan food at up in pinburgh?

#331 5 years ago

And if the ice cream man hits your block...call 911 immediately!

EB609C9F-4168-4E65-8342-A85BC3F8D2ED (resized).pngEB609C9F-4168-4E65-8342-A85BC3F8D2ED (resized).png
    #332 5 years ago

And if the ice cream man hits your block...call 911 immediately!

There are actually some decent low-calorie ice creams now. I really like the Publix house brand low-calorie stuff. If you like peanut butter, but don't want the calories. PB2 is a low-calorie peanut powder you can add to things for flavor. I like to add it to vanilla ice cream or Greek yogurt for a nice dessert.

2 years later
    #333 3 years ago

Important Update:

This is the world's best-tasting thing:

https://www.talentigelato.com/products/peanut-butter-fudge-sorbetto

x816680010457_Glamour.png.pagespeed.ic.0Tpoxxmjzd (resized).pngx816680010457_Glamour.png.pagespeed.ic.0Tpoxxmjzd (resized).png
    2 years later
    #334 1 year ago

Trying to see if we can bump this up. Been awhile.

How has everybody been doing? I've been holding well. Started to grow microgreens and using them in the diet. Have some health issues going on now, but still pushing forward.

#335 1 year ago

Going on ten years vegan (for the animals). Prior to that, eating piles of meat was a bigger hobby than pinball. With metabolism slowing down, cutting down on the junk food.

#336 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Going on ten years vegan (for the animals). Prior to that, eating piles of meat was a bigger hobby than pinball. With metabolism slowing down, cutting down on the junk food.

Congrats on 10 years.

I started to slow down on meat intake about 8 years ago. Prior to that - buying a half of anything was as you say....a hobby.

But now - at 52, I wonder if it wasn't too late? Guess we're all there.

#337 1 year ago

Bump

Part time vegetarian here, still evolving and learning. Not sure if I'll ever make a complete transition or want to.

Oat Milk rules !

#338 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Congrats on 10 years.
    I started to slow down on meat intake about 8 years ago. Prior to that - buying a half of anything was as you say....a hobby.
    But now - at 52, I wonder if it wasn't too late? Guess we're all there.

Never too late. I've seen videos of 98-year-old great grannies who go vegan

#339 1 year ago

Full-time vegetarian the past 3 years aside from the infrequent, once a year "oops I bought something that I didn't know had meat in it but already took a bite" incidents, no sense in letting it go to waste. This was after multiple false starts over the years. Vegan? I want to make it work, usually start strong, then months later just feel incredibly run down. I probably did something wrong.

I only went vegetarian to see how I'd feel and if I could do it. I feel like I did this backwards, because I know many try going vegan or vegetarian because of their values, but I feel like the idea of meat being repulsive didn't hit me until a year into being vegetarian. Like a switch just flipped. Particularly red meat.

#340 1 year ago

I should add that I'd love to see everyone's favorite vegan dishes. I was in a vegan facebook group briefly, most people were cool, but a few were incredibly insufferable that it killed any desire for me to part of that community.

#341 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Bump
    Part time vegetarian here, still evolving and learning. Not sure if I'll ever make a complete transition or want to.
    Oat Milk rules !

Nothing wrong with that Kim. I'm a 90% vegan, and it's better that way as I don't find myself "missing" anything.

There is a good documentary (I forgot who did it) that works this premise in...

Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants.

That is what I live by.

#342 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I should add that I'd love to see everyone's favorite vegan dishes. I was in a vegan facebook group briefly, most people were cool, but a few were incredibly insufferable that it killed any desire for me to part of that community.

Lots of them, but my go to is usually a stir fry. Just look in the fridge for whatever vegetables I have on hand, add some spices (cumin is a superpower), and go from there.

Another go to is my balsamic red cabbage. Cheap and loaded with antioxidants.

#343 1 year ago

I think this Jan 1 will mark my 12 year veganversary. I'm sure Blueberry can attest... a lot more options now than a decade ago (at least in my city)

Favorite dishes? Still pizza and nachos so not everything changed!

#344 1 year ago

Might have shared this before, but this is my go to site for medical nutritional research. This guy is all over the place now in documentaries and interviews, but he's been doing this for 10 or so years. His team goes through the thousands of research studies and makes short videos on the results. It's a very comprehensive depository of foods and associated medical harm/benefits of different types of foods.

What is interesting, is you will see a result or a cause and effect. Then you will see more studies that support the conclusion. Yet when you go out in the world and search on sites that are to promote something (take the American Diabetes Association) and they have exactly the WRONG foods listed (as they get $ support from these industries) - it makes you shake your head and doubt "experts" all the time now. It's a hell of a situation.

https://nutritionfacts.org/

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-vegan-thread-for-bobukcat/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.