1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 332 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 80 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

EB609C9F-4168-4E65-8342-A85BC3F8D2ED (resized).png
    index (resized).jpg
    7AE14CFE-4841-4471-AA3D-3F49CEAD972E (resized).jpeg
    623543BF-EBC9-4ED0-90C1-29D0042E9994 (resized).jpeg
    36E656FC-38E3-4133-9295-C6255AD2772B (resized).jpeg
    5BEED3F3-5B6F-463B-BF92-E9FDDF016FF2 (resized).jpeg
    3CD5166E-9E78-43A4-B892-D860255547E3 (resized).jpeg
    050A5A9F-2391-43BF-886B-32287C16337D (resized).jpeg
    20180601_082153 (resized).jpg
    ED206FF2-3695-4B3B-A3B8-7A8674EC3473 (resized).jpeg
    829462600104-1 (resized).jpg
    9CD23A09-8DF0-4724-980B-437D16B59209 (resized).jpeg
    E3AE76F5-81F4-442F-A8D6-15AB32C9847E (resized).jpeg
    EE448B30-C6BF-4ED1-855D-D136B1957574 (resized).jpeg
    D3CE91A1-1977-4675-9AA3-9454C0CFD1B0 (resized).jpeg
    zzzzzzz coke-life-label (resized).jpg

There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 1 year ago

I'd be interested in trying Beyond Meat, but I'm not paying $3 for a 1/4 lb. patty. Ouch!

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I'd be interested in trying Beyond Meat, but I'm not paying $3 for a 1/4 lb. patty. Ouch!

I get what your saying but what better way to spend our money than on our health? .....$10,000.00 on a pinball machine?

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

What does the "meat" actually consist of? Was there a calorie count on that burger? I might have to check it out.

Why I gotta do your Googles for ya?

EC2C74D2-CD78-4629-A502-0AB4DDC2134E (resized).png

#154 1 year ago

Also I made vegan pizza tonite cuz I AM CARB!!!!

665FF22A-B212-4428-A16C-CCADE003527B (resized).jpeg

#155 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I meant the veggie grill burger that Rob pictured, but that helps. So it’s basically made from peas.

#156 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I meant the veggie grill burger that Rob pictured, but that helps. So it’s basically made from peas.

That’s the burger Veggie Grill uses.

#157 1 year ago

Sodium and saturated fat seem kinda high in that burger. My brother is moving his family back home next month after 10+ years of living in Atlanta, so it looks like I will be grilling these or something similar on the barbecue for the get togethers.
    I'm going to have to get a separate smaller vegan only BBQ that has never cooked animal I think.

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Ironically being vegan has opened me up to a massive variety of foods I probably would have never discovered otherwise,

So true! The most imaginative / original meals I ever experienced were vegans.
    (disclaimer: I'm not. I could probably live without meat, but I love fish too much)

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Sodium and saturated fat seem kinda high in that burger.

Yep. Not claiming that it’s health food. Just a healthier option than the real thing with cheese. I don’t plan on eating them more than a couple times a week.

It’s the whole food/plants that should make up the majority of a vegan diet. Ie, stay away from the processed stuff as much as possible

#160 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

stay away from the processed stuff as much as possible

And true as well if you're not vegan! (perhaps even more critical)

#161 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I'm going to have to get a separate smaller vegan only BBQ that has never cooked animal I think.

Are you sure they care? I wouldn't.

#162 1 year ago

S

Quoted from ryanwanger:Are you sure they care? I wouldn't.

The wife would. In the past, I would clean the heated grill with a piece of cucumber and use one side for each. But that wasn’t good enough for her.

#163 1 year ago

Does anyone have a good option for veggie hot dogs or sausages? I've found decent substitutes for burgers, meat balls (Gardien), but have yet to find a decent sausage substitute. Everything we have tried tastes like ass.

#164 1 year ago

These have egg whites but if that’s not an issue these are by far my favorite!

50B0BFD4-B1B7-40ED-BE88-490B4F7D0B38 (resized).jpeg

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

We could never have those beyond meat burgers. Pea, potato starch, and yeast are to high up the ingredient list for my wife to handle.

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I get what your saying but what better way to spend our money than on our health? .....$10,000.00 on a pinball machine?

I don't do $10K for a pin either. We eat burger roughly once a week. I just don't think that's a frequency that's going to seriously impact my health. Now if we ate it every day? Yeah, but I might say the same about a fake burger loaded with coconut and canola oil. If I ate that every day, it would definitely negatively impact my wallet.

If I'm spending $10+ per pound, it's probably gonna be on some big ass tiger prawns. We don't do that often.

#167 1 year ago

This thread turned out to be a lot more interesting than I thought it would...
    ... definitely some food for thought...

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I don't do $10K for a pin either. We eat burger roughly once a week. I just don't think that's a frequency that's going to seriously impact my health. Now if we ate it every day? Yeah, but I might say the same about a fake burger loaded with coconut and canola oil. If I ate that every day, it would definitely negatively impact my wallet.
    If I'm spending $10+ per pound, it's probably gonna be on some big ass tiger prawns. We don't do that often.

If you are healthy, not overweight, good blood work, and no family history of arterial disease, not much to worry about.

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Does anyone have a good option for veggie hot dogs or sausages? I've found decent substitutes for burgers, meat balls (Gardien), but have yet to find a decent sausage substitute. Everything we have tried tastes like ass.

Field Roast brand is very good. That’s what I put on my pizza a few posts up.

https://fieldroast.com/product-family/sausages/

#172 1 year ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

The best diet is a balanced one. Anytime you go extreme in any one direction it usually does not end well.

Messages Image(824262124) (resized).png

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Let's just be frank. There are a lot of unhealthy people in pinball. If one person decides to eat better because of this thread, it was worth it. You are going to do what you are going to do. Some of us are going to turn back from the cliff, and some of us are going to run off it. I was close to, and probably at some times was, morbidly obese. You feel like death, like someone who isn't going to live a long life. I am not there anymore and will never be there again. I did it just eating better and walking more. Anyone can. Pick a day one and make sure there is a day 30. If you can do that, you got it.

+1000

If you could remove 50+ lbs from someone who was at least that much overweight, and let them go around a few days before putting it back onto them, only then would they truly realize how much of an albatross it really is...

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from spinal:

This thread is a perfect example of a topic that shouldn't be discussed on pinside as it separates and divides us *exactly* like a discussion of religion or politics does. People take their views on food sometimes too far and it can take on a type of fanaticism. We should instead celebrate our shared love of pinball and not things that separate us as there are already so few people in this hobby compared to other hobbies. I'm all for open and free discussion but sheesh - I say let's just all decide to eat what we all want and get back to pinball -- I'm just saying

Not sure how you figure that. I’m a meat eater and damn proud of it. I’ll have my once a week juicy hamburger and my once a week dozen of hot wings. And my daily portions of chicken. Although I do think being a vegan is an extreme I also like to try different foods and listen to what others think. Actually tried my first almond milk last night and decided to ad a daily salad to my diet just from reading this post.

#175 1 year ago

The only vegetarian dish I can eat is a coconut Thai curry

It starts off as chicken curry but I usually eat the chicken first and then it becomes vegetarian lol

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Thanks for the heads up on Veggie Grill Greg. It was awesome. The Beyond Meat burger is as close to meat as anything I’ve tasted. And the vegan cheese they use is excellent!

They have one in Long Beach by Belmont Shore, which is not too far from where I live or work. So I went there today for lunch and got the beyond meat burger and fries. When they asked if I wanted anything to drink, I said Diet Coke and the cashier gave me this look like I just kicked her dog. Is Diet Coke not vegan? So I got the organic root beer. Kinda pricey at over $18 but easily the best vegan meat substitute I have ever eaten. If I were vegan or vegetarian, Veggie Grill would be a regular stop.

However, for someone who is not vegetarian, a grilled chicken sandwich with avocado would be a healthier, tastier, and less expensive option. Hopefully, they can reduce the saturated fat and sodium in future products without losing the taste or juiciness. I plan on going back and trying some of their other menu items that are a bit healthier.

EB3B0804-4C00-430B-A9C6-497113C6CB39 (resized).jpeg

#177 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Is Diet Coke not vegan?

"All of our Coca‑Cola and Schweppes brands are the same in that they contain no milk, no eggs, nor any products derived from mammals. If you're a vegan or a vegetarian, you should know that a few of our drinks do contain small traces of fish gelatine (which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour)."

Yummy fish gelatine lol

As for Pepsi they won't say what's in diet Pepsi that makes it non vegan

"'We can confirm that regular Pepsi and Pepsi MAX are suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Diet Pepsi is only suitable for vegetarians as it contain traces of ingredients that are not suitable for people following a vegan diet.'"

#178 1 year ago

Holy crap? There is no reason that diet soda should have non vegan ingredients in it. In the lab tasting area was there really someone that said “hmm, it could use more gelatinous fish goo”. I guess I immediately outed myself with the Diet Coke request.

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Holy crap? There is no reason that diet soda should have non vegan ingredients in it. In the lab tasting area was there really someone that said “hmm, it could use more gelatinous fish goo”. I guess I immediately outed myself with the Diet Coke request.

Veggie Grill just doesn’t carry regular soda. Their drinks are various iced teas, lemonade and agua fresca. Sometomes they have bottled natural sodas and kombucha. I think they just don’t carry anything with corn syrup or aspartame.

As for the healthier things at Veggie Grill, when I was being really good with my diet, I’d always get the All Hail Kale salad and add blackened tempeh.

It’s not on the menu anymore, but I think they’ll still make a portabello burger if you request it. There’s also an off-menu tempeh sandwich called “Bali Bliss” - sometimes I get that with a portabello added. It’s a great option when I want a sandwich/protein, but not fake meat.

#180 1 year ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

These have egg whites but if that’s not an issue these are by far my favorite!

Quoted from Rarehero:

Field Roast brand is very good. That’s what I put on my pizza a few posts up.
    https://fieldroast.com/product-family/sausages/

Thanks! I am going to give those two products a try.

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

They have one in Long Beach by Belmont Shore, which is not too far from where I live or work. So I went there today for lunch and got the beyond meat burger and fries. When they asked if I wanted anything to drink, I said Diet Coke and the cashier gave me this look like I just kicked her dog. Is Diet Coke not vegan? So I got the organic root beer. Kinda pricey at over $18 but easily the best vegan meat substitute I have ever eaten. If I were vegan or vegetarian, Veggie Grill would be a regular stop.
    However, for someone who is not vegetarian, a grilled chicken sandwich with avocado would be a healthier, tastier, and less expensive option. Hopefully, they can reduce the saturated fat and sodium in future products without losing the taste or juiciness. I plan on going back and trying some of their other menu items that are a bit healthier.

All I can say as that I think it's pretty cool that you, as a non-vegan, went to Veggie Grill based on this thread and that you were not appalled at the taste of the beyond meat burger!

AND, you plan on going back!

I do agree about the price. Unfortunately I have noticed that the vegan restaurants are not cheap.

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

» YouTube video

Lol this is another good one.

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I do agree about the price. Unfortunately I have noticed that the vegan restaurants are not cheap.

We call that the “vegan tax”. I’m used to it at this point lol. That’s one thing I love about Blaze Pizza - they might be the ONE place that doesn’t charge extra for vegan cheese.

#184 1 year ago

I've had a couple different vegan Sloppy Joes that would probably fool most people. They tasted awesome, and the texture was virtually identical to meat.

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

We call that the “vegan tax”. I’m used to it at this point lol. That’s one thing I love about Blaze Pizza - they might be the ONE place that doesn’t charge extra for vegan cheese.

Chipotle's is good too, because you can get their Sofritas (soy meat substitute) at no extra cost. The flavor of their soy is pretty darn good in my opinion, and soy can be a challenge in terms of getting it to soak in the marinade/seasoning.

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Chipotle's is good too, because you can get their Sofritas (soy meat substitute) at no extra cost. The flavor of their soy is pretty darn good in my opinion, and soy can be a challenge in terms of getting it to soak in the marinade/seasoning.

I’m not a fan of Chipotle - everything kinda tastes bland and acidic. Glad they have options tho.

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The sofritas tastes good, but the amount of sodium in it is insane! A healthier vegan option would be the fajita veggies.

#188 1 year ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The sofritas tastes good, but the amount of sodium in it is insane! A healthier vegan option would be the fajita veggies.

I get the fajita veggies on top of the sofritas! But yes, you can order without sofritas, and if you order with no "protein" at all, did you know that you get to add the guacamole for free? Pretty cool.

Sodium has always been an issue with the meat substitutes unfortunately. Which is why they should all be used sparingly, and the *whole food* plant based diet is the key.

#189 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Sodium has always been an issue with the meat substitutes unfortunately.

Sodium is just a huge issue with Chipotle in general. Heck, their tortilla alone has 600 mg of sodium. That's why I try not to eat there too often, even though I really love their food. When I do, I generally skip the tortilla and go with a bowl.

Quoted from RobT:

... if you order with no "protein" at all, did you know that you get to add the guacamole for free? Pretty cool.

Yep, and their guac sure is yummy!

#190 1 year ago

Yeah, I *never* order the tortilla. That thing is freaking huge.

#191 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Sodium has always been an issue with the meat substitutes unfortunately. Which is why they should all be used sparingly, and the *whole food* plant based diet is the key.

Sodium content just eating out ANYWHERE is bonkers. It's really hard to avoid unless you're just going mostly salad.

#192 1 year ago

Oh, another recommendation for Rob & Vic ...do you have an Mendocino Farms around you? Great sandwich chain, and they always have 3 or 4 vegan sandwiches, usually a vegan soup, and a bunch of vegan sides like potato salad & curried cous cous. They also have a taco salad made with Impossible Burger crumbles that's very good.

http://mendocinofarms.com/menus/

#193 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh, another recommendation for Rob & Vic ...do you have an Mendocino Farms around you? Great sandwich chain, and they always have 3 or 4 vegan sandwiches, usually a vegan soup, and a bunch of vegan sides like potato salad & curried cous cous. They also have a taco salad made with Impossible Burger crumbles that's very good.
    http://mendocinofarms.com/menus/

Sweet, they have one in Tustin! Another option I can try near my office.

#194 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Sweet, they have one in Tustin! Another option I can try near my office.

Oh, you might be near the Loving Hut in Orange on Tustin St.

Mostly salty asian vegan junkfood....buuuut, their Jackfruit Salad is INSANELY good...and if you wanna eat some fried stuff, the "Spicy Cha-Cha" is amazing - it's vegan fried shrimp. I'm not sure what they do for their breading, but the texture is so good and "nostalgic" - very much reminds me of fried shrimp I had as a kid.

jackfruit salad (resized).jpg

chacha (resized).jpg

#195 1 year ago

I can see that you are going to cost me a lot of money in the next couple of weeks as I try these places out. The jackfruit is particularly interesting since I have not tried it yet and it has been highly recommended.

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I can see that you are going to cost me a lot of money in the next couple of weeks as I try these places out. The jackfruit is particularly interesting since I have not tried it yet and it has been highly recommended.

Jackfruit is a fantastic meat substitute, cuz it's not soy and it's not processed...it's just marinated with whatever and tastes like that - plus has a nice meaty texture. One of my hawaii pictures has a BBQ jackfruit wrap. Lots of Mexican places are using jackfruit in burritos. To bring it back to pinball - Button Mash in Echo Park has a great jackfruit sandwich & the most amazing crispy tofu balls!

balls (resized).jpeg

jack (resized).jpg

#197 1 year ago

Here's a list of stuff very close to the fairgrounds my wife gathered for me for my Allentown peeps. Surprised there was this much!

Hummus House @ 1502 W Chew Street (vegan things clearly marked!) http://www.thehummushouse.com/menu/

Cali Burrito @2149 Reading Road https://www.caliburrito.com/

Kow Thai Takeout @ 1201 W Linden Street http://www.kowthaitakeoutpa.com/menu.aspx

and should you stop at a White Castle you can search by location which one you're headed to and some of the locations offer the Impossible Burger/Impossible "Slider" as they call it!

this one is not super close to Pinfest, but might be worth stopping at on your way in: CoreLife Eatery @ 833 North Krocks Rd, Suite 101 https://corelifeeatery.com/menu/

and there's this place which even has a vegan grilled cheese! grain @ 536 Hamilton St, Allentown (their website is obnoxious: http://grainallentown.com/

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobT:

All I can say as that I think it's pretty cool that you, as a non-vegan, went to Veggie Grill based on this thread and that you were not appalled at the taste of the beyond meat burger!
    AND, you plan on going back!

Well, my bad cholesterol shot up about 50 points in the last 2 years and I packed on an additional 30 pounds. My diet, high in red meat, is finally starting to catch up with me in my 40's. If I wanna be around to see my kid’s college graduation, I better start changing my eating habits.

99CD6C6D-3A36-4F74-95C5-1552B3634350 (resized).jpeg

#199 1 year ago

+1 on the jackfruit train. It was some frozen dinner thing from Trader Joes...I want to say some kind of curry that had jackfruit instead of meat. It was really good, and the texture was just "what the hell this is a fruit!?"

#200 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

+1 on the jackfruit train. It was some frozen dinner thing from Trader Joes...I want to say some kind of curry that had jackfruit instead of meat. It was really good, and the texture was just "what the hell this is a fruit!?"

Nature be CRAZY!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 5.00
    $ 14.95
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 88.00
    $ 22.50
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    $ 999.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside