Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

x816680010457_Glamour.png.pagespeed.ic.0Tpoxxmjzd (resized).png
    EB609C9F-4168-4E65-8342-A85BC3F8D2ED (resized).png
    index (resized).jpg
    7AE14CFE-4841-4471-AA3D-3F49CEAD972E (resized).jpeg
    623543BF-EBC9-4ED0-90C1-29D0042E9994 (resized).jpeg
    36E656FC-38E3-4133-9295-C6255AD2772B (resized).jpeg
    5BEED3F3-5B6F-463B-BF92-E9FDDF016FF2 (resized).jpeg
    3CD5166E-9E78-43A4-B892-D860255547E3 (resized).jpeg
    050A5A9F-2391-43BF-886B-32287C16337D (resized).jpeg
    20180601_082153 (resized).jpg
    ED206FF2-3695-4B3B-A3B8-7A8674EC3473 (resized).jpeg
    829462600104-1 (resized).jpg
    9CD23A09-8DF0-4724-980B-437D16B59209 (resized).jpeg
    E3AE76F5-81F4-442F-A8D6-15AB32C9847E (resized).jpeg
    EE448B30-C6BF-4ED1-855D-D136B1957574 (resized).jpeg
    D3CE91A1-1977-4675-9AA3-9454C0CFD1B0 (resized).jpeg

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Yep, I don't care which side of the argument you're on, get back on point or open another damn thread to talk about it!

#2 5 years ago

images (14) (resized).jpegimages (14) (resized).jpeg

#3 5 years ago

Lol this is an awesome thread!

#4 5 years ago

Great way to start the thread, since the single biggest misconception about vegans is that they don't get enough protein.

All protein comes from plants. Protein from animals means you are getting it second hand.

There is a very small percentage of people in the world who suffer from protein deficiency (less than 3%), and the majority of those people have a calorie deficiency.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

The best diet is a balanced one. Anytime you go extreme in any one direction it usually does not end well.
    We wouldn't have evolved the brains we have without a high protein diet.
    Eat a salad, eat a steak, eat some veggies and fruit. Watch the carbs and especially the sugar.

A balanced healthy diet does not need to include animal products. Nothing "extreme" about it.

#6 5 years ago

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg

#7 5 years ago

zzzze95cc9050e4ae3c9f5fb78992230effa (resized).jpgzzzze95cc9050e4ae3c9f5fb78992230effa (resized).jpg

#8 5 years ago

Since I'm mentioned in the title....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9 5 years ago

#10 5 years ago

Honest question. How much more on average do groceries cost as a vegan on a weekly basis?

#11 5 years ago

RobT whenever I am in SoCal i usually have one of my meals at lazy dog...during happy hour they have a hummus plate that I order with carrots and cucumbers. I know this sounds crazy but that place has the best carrots and the hummus is good. For 5 or 6 bucks it is a great choice.

#12 5 years ago

zzzzz pri_58445561 (resized).jpgzzzzz pri_58445561 (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago

Is honey a no go since it comes from insects?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Is honey a no go since it comes from insects?

Honey is no-go.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Honest question. How much more on average do groceries cost as a vegan on a weekly basis?

Can be expensive or cheap, just like all shopping. If you buy a bunch of processed meat alternatives that's going to be pricey, if you stick with reasonably healthy basics then its fairly cheap.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Even less. What can drive up the cost is organic food, but even that is coming down in price with more people realizing that it isn't a good idea to digest food that has been treated with a shit load of carcinogenic chemicals. Just the increase options I've seen for organic and health food in places like Costco over the past year has been amazing.

I prefer to think of it as plant based instead of "vegan". Just because you are a vegan does not mean you are eating healthy. You can still eat a ton of processed foods and still be "vegan".

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Even less. What can drive up the cost is organic food, but even that is coming down in price with more people realizing that it isn't a good idea to digest food that has been treated with a shit load of carcinogenic chemicals. Just the increase options I've seen for organic and health food in places like Costco over the past year has been amazing.
    I prefer to think of it as plant based instead of "vegan". Just because you are a vegan does not mean you are eating healthy. You can still eat a ton of processed foods and still be "vegan".

someone should do a case study of only eating "whatchamacallits" for a month for science

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I am so with you on this. My sister was a vegan and ate all sorts of processed crap but no meat. The processed food and not liking vegetables gave her lots of problems. It did not end well for her.

Whole foods are the way to go.

#19 5 years ago

My sister in law is vegan and got my brother to go vegan. Her hair is falling out so much she's going bald and has to wear a baseball cap. My brother has become frail looking and complains a lot about joint pain. They both eat a lot of processed crap and don't take the time to make healthy meals. The problem with going vegan is that it takes a lot more thought and effort to eat right and get all the proper nutrients that a body needs. Being a vegetarian is a lot easier.

As someone said previously, humans evolved big brains and intelligence because of a diet high in animal protein and fat. It's pretty obvious when you look at nature, the carnivores on average are far more intelligent than the herbivores. If humans move to a vegan diet, it would be interesting to see if over many many years we started losing intelligence as a species.

#20 5 years ago

On a side note, is there anything uglier than a man’s foot? Good lord put some shoes (preferably boots) on. Nobody wants to see your hairy, talloned, bunion ridden hoof. /rant

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

My sister in law is vegan and got my brother to go vegan. Her hair is falling out so much she's going bald and has to wear a baseball cap. My brother has become frail looking and complains a lot about joint pain. They both eat a lot of processed crap and don't take the time to make healthy meals. The problem with going vegan is that it takes a lot more thought and effort to eat right and get all the proper nutrients that a body needs. Being a vegetarian is a lot easier.
    As someone said previously, humans evolved big brains and intelligence because of a diet high in animal protein and fat. It's pretty obvious when you look at nature, the carnivores on average are far more intelligent than the herbivores. If humans move to a vegan diet, it would be interesting to see if over many many years we started losing intelligence as a species.

Hope she/they sort out their diet. Nothing wrong with a good vegan diet but a good diet is so fundamental to health and just not eating meat and eating crap doesn't cut it. My sister had major health issues that led to an early death. It shouldn't have happened but all she ate was bread, pasta, and fake meat/cheese made out of soy for a long time. 90% of her calories probably came from soy and wheat.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

A balanced healthy diet does not need to include animal products. Nothing "extreme" about it.
    » YouTube video

Rob T. is my Brocolli Bro! I can’t believe it!

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I hope they get it sorted out pretty quickly, but you may want to suggest they start incorporating whole foods in their diet. We do have several studies that have a life span of an entire generation (Nurse's Health Study, 7 Day Adventists Study, etc), that provide us with information on chronic diseases and link to behaviors. The key isn't really adopting a "vegan diet", but eating foods that are plant based. I honestly try not to eat any food that I can't recognize an ingredient of.

And yes....Broccoli should be consumed every day. It's able to help the body produce a compound called Sulforaphane that has shown in early studies to be as close to a wonder drug as we likely have, it protects cells against damage at various levels.

#24 5 years ago

Humans are omnivores so a balanced diet including animal products is best.

Focusing on natural, unprocessed food is way more important than freaking out about honey in something.

What I love is the militant vegan/gluten-free folks with expensive leather bags and shoes being judgy about my beer and brats. (Which clearly is the best balanced meal ever invented)

#25 5 years ago

The gluten thing bugs me. A very small percentage of people around 1% or less actually have celiac disease, yet every vegan I talk to (including my sister in law) claims to have it. I don't know how gluten became this bogeyman, but it is unwarranted.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

What I love is the militant vegan/gluten-free folks with expensive leather bags and shoes being judgy about my beer and brats ...

There are different reasons why people choose to go vegan. Some people do it strictly for the health benefits, while others do it for humane reasons. It's unlikely you would see someone from the latter group wearing leather shoes.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

There are different reasons why people choose to go vegan. Some people do it strictly for the health benefits, while others do it for humane reasons. It's unlikely you would see someone from the latter group wearing leather shoes.

See it every day - neighbors and workmates, that’s why I said it.

I’m also not aware of any real health benefits from being vegan that can’t be achieved through a balanced natural diet. If you have some please share.

#28 5 years ago

Thanks for playing along guys!

I logged on expecting a moderation...glad we can have fun with it.

But yeah, here’s my take

Cost: relatively the same, vegan alternatives can get pricey, but so are the animal products which you no longer buy

Transition: this is tricky, although easy to just walk past so many of the aisles that you would normally buy stuff from, it does feel very limited until you start learning new recipes

Sourcing: so lower end stores won’t really cut it anymore, Costco has solid choices and of course Whole Foods is awesome with a whole section devoted to vegan, but you have to watch the sodium on some things.
    And if you’re a green thumb at all, you can easily create your own food right from the dirt...far easier than the chicken slaughtering I used to do in my backyard

Social aspect: again tricky, can’t ram it down friends throats, start slow with the explanations, expect defensive arguments and eye rolling...just focus on the positives

#29 5 years ago

I just read this thread before breafast, went to the kitchen where I smelled fresh bacon and eggs...came back with an apple and a bottle of water....WTF just happened, you should have seen the look on my wifes face.

#30 5 years ago

We should all just eat cockroaches, get a meal at the same time exterminate those bastards.

#31 5 years ago

Wife is vegan.
    She blames me. Moved her to the farm when we were married and she saw her food had a face. Like a previous poster said, even the honey I/we gather is against her rules. We still get along, I support her lifestyle and I still eat the occasional steak. Thinking back, she used to wrap steaks in bacon on the grill for me. . . Oh, the honeymoon days.

One thing she does eat is a lot of soy, which I am not a fan of. Too much of that stuff can be bad for you I think.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

just focus on the positives

Good thinking. I'm open to alternative lifestyles and like to pick up some ideas and concepts that fit mine. Can you elaborate on which meals you prepare during the day and maybe share some recipes of yours?

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I just read this thread before breafast, went to the kitchen where I smelled fresh bacon and eggs...came back with an apple and a bottle of water....WTF just happened, you should have seen the look on my wifes face.

excellent! Now it’s time to retheme your FT to Fruit Tales

#34 5 years ago

I live in Seattle so veganism is a whole thing, and I think what I appreciate most is the increased availability of really good produce. I was lucky growing up in a farmer community so it was never a big deal but I remember all the main supermarkets having really pathetic produce aisles and it's nice that that's not an issue now, at least not here. I don't mind paying extra for a tomato that actually tastes like something.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

There are different reasons why people choose to go vegan. Some people do it strictly for the health benefits, while others do it for humane reasons.

I do it because I like going out in public unshaven, wearing white linen pants, birkenstocks and a bathrobe.

#36 5 years ago

The genetic defect in the PCSK9 Gene has been found to be one to affect the breakdown of animal proteins.
    The defect often found in Spanish, and Northern European, produces high fat in the bloodstream, which causes many health issues.
    Being Vegan, will fix this issue. As does Genetic treatment. (Something Ive been fighting to receive)
    Some people gain tremendous health benefits from the removal of animal proteins, but likely the reduction of fructose and sugar does more
    for ones health that anything else, IMO.
    Its often the bacteria that flourishes with too much sugar, dairy, etc, that gives the digestive issues to people.
    There are many ways to battle digestive issues, and some are very easy, with powerful affects.
    Antibiotics is never the answer, again, IMO.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

we started losing intelligence as a species.

Some would argue that time has come and gone, and that we're on a downward slope for a long time now.

I'd be perfectly fine being vegetarian for the most part, but vegan is.... meh. I like seafood too much to really do either.

Quoted from pinbum:

We should all just eat cockroaches, get a meal at the same time exterminate those bastards.

Why not...other places do. Any of you guys had crickets? I have. Roasted ones with ranch powder on them, wasn't too bad! Insects in general are WAY more sustainable than beef or chicken, and the first-world countries are the odd ones out when it comes to using insects as food. WE'RE the anomaly, not the other way around.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Humans are omnivores so a balanced diet including animal products is best.

I can’t agree more.

Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Social aspect: again tricky, can’t ram it down friends throats, start slow with the explanations

No. Don’t start slow with explanations; don’t ram it down friends throats. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR DIET. Don’t try to convert anyone. Don’t judge anyone for eating meat. Don’t look sickened when others choose different life choices.

The only problem with going vegan is thinking that your a better person because of it, and deciding that you need to influence others to make the same choice.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

No. Don’t start slow with explanations; don’t ram it down friends throats. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR DIET. Don’t try to convert anyone. Don’t judge anyone for eating meat. Don’t look sickened when others choose different life choices.

That's a bit hypocritical when you just posted that you can't agree more that a diet including animal proteins is best. If you'd followed your own advice....then why post on this thread backing up a differing point of view? Subtle, or not, doing so is exerting a form of influence. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Then we have people who are just insane and even try to force their cats & dogs into veganism, almost killing the poor pets.

#41 5 years ago

It’s pretty much accepted science that a plant-based diet is the best way to reverse heart disease. But I can’t make myself do it, I like meat too much. So instead I’m a “flexitarian”. I eat vegetarian when it’s an option, but I don’t sweat it if it’s not.

I work in Philadelphia every other week and there are tons of good vegetarian options there. I come back home to metro Atlanta and I really have to hunt for good falafel. And my pet peeve is restaurants whose “veggie sandwiches” are just the regular sandwiches with no meat. WTF. If I had wanted a salad sandwich I would have ordered that. Give me some grilled eggplant, squash, spinach and zucchini, that’s the good stuff.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Give me some grilled eggplant, squash, spinach and zucchini, that’s the good stuff.

We've got a local burger joint here in Dallas that you can ask for a grilled portobello cap instead of a beef patty, and they actually charge you less for it, AND it's actually cooked properly and doesn't taste like cardboard. I mean..I guess it's a moot point when my burger's gonna have a fried egg on it anyways, but it's REALLY good. When I worked at Cousin's Subs waaay back, we totally did the 'salad sandwich' thing. Literally. The veg sub was all the stuff that would normally go on a salad, and customer got choice of salad dressings for it.

#43 5 years ago

I can’t agree more.

The only problem with going vegan is thinking that your a better person because of it, and deciding that you need to influence others to make the same choice.

True - doesn’t make you a better person but it could make you a much healthier person. My dad ate meat for 68 years of his life, then 5 years ago watched knifes over forks documentary and has gone vegan ever sense. He lost 30lb in about a month and a half and feels waaay better and doesn’t have to take blood press meds anymore. Didn’t convince me to do it but it was striking. A lot of good vegan things to eat still if you’re willing to learn to make them

Moderation of meat intake is important health wise (excluding arguments on conditions of the meat market, or egg market in the USA) — there’s way to much emphasis on eating meat imo. Getting preachy on personal diets Is annoying but it’s def worth being more open to on a conversation level.. we’re still very much figuring it out.

#44 5 years ago

Sorry, what I meant was explaining to friends and family who have known you to eat animal products why all of a sudden you aren’t anymore.

You go out to eat, have people over, they notice the change, a conversation emerges. It’s that conversation that needs to be handled carefully is all I meant.

#45 5 years ago

Vegans make better lovers.

when-vegans-kiss-16315373 (resized).pngwhen-vegans-kiss-16315373 (resized).png

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There have been a few unfortunate cases of insufficient vegan diets being given to babies & young children. While the diet can work for adults, it doesn't always have the right nutrients for young ones and can sometimes lead to malnutrition and starvation.

Had this discussion with family last week....Dietitians, Pediatricians...but all agreed an issue without a small amount of animal protein.

Sometimes its the amount.....drop from a 12 oz to a 6 oz steak. Order Veggies over fries, etc.

I try to limit to 6 oz animal protein a week, and use Buffalo, and chicken.

When I want the burger, we have enjoyed this, more than others......maybe worth a shot...made from peas....

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The gluten thing bugs me. A very small percentage of people around 1% or less actually have celiac disease, yet every vegan I talk to (including my sister in law) claims to have it. I don't know how gluten became this bogeyman, but it is unwarranted.

I am carb.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Vegans make better lovers.

Kim, grow up. Tell me to my face if you have a problem with my vegan lifestyle!

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There have been a few unfortunate cases of insufficient vegan diets being given to babies & young children. While the diet can work for adults, it doesn't always have the right nutrients for young ones and can sometimes lead to malnutrition and starvation.

Every day kids are becoming obese and unhealthy eating McDonald, fried butter, and sugar coated sugar. These articles aren’t about “vegan”, they’re about stupid. Like people who feed pasta to a cat to be “vegan”.

While I’m not a mega-healthy vegan all the time, I’ve been vegan for 20 years & know I get more balanced nutrition than the defensive people who’s dismiss me as a crazy twig eater while they stuff a bacon wrapped fried buffalo penis in their mouth after having 3 heart attacks.

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-vegan-thread-for-bobukcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.