Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lip on lower door (resized).jpg
    8marbles (resized).jpg
    marble (resized).jpg
    2017-05-29 16.27.45 (resized).jpg
    2017-05-29 16.27.02 (resized).jpg
    Genco Silver Chest 400 1 (resized).jpg
    Genco gambling games 1 (resized).jpg
    Golden Nugget 1 (resized).JPG
    golden nugget 4 (resized).JPG
    golden nugget 3 (resized).JPG
    golden nugget 2 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Here's one you don't see every day- a 1953 Genco Golden Nugget. I saw this on my local Craigslist last summer, and it popped up again in my daily search about 2 weeks ago at a much more reasonable price. I shot the guy I message, and he told me I could have it for free-- his property sold, and it needed to go- if I didn't pick it up he was going to put it to the curb, and I couldn't let that happen. It's a little rough, and he said it's not currently working-- but it does appear to be complete, right down to the coin box.

I found the schematic and the instructions at IPDB, but I don't know what size balls it uses. I have some extras for my pitch and bat machine, but they appear to be too big. If anyone knows what size they are supposed to be, I'd appreciate it! If anyone has one of these machines, I would greatly appreciate high res photos of the graphics (the ones on IPDB aren't adequate to make water slides of the decals from).

FWIW, IPDB is incorrect-- this is not a flipperless machine-- it has single flipper on the left side.

http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1054

golden nugget 2 (resized).JPGgolden nugget 2 (resized).JPG
    golden nugget 3 (resized).JPGgolden nugget 3 (resized).JPG
    golden nugget 4 (resized).JPGgolden nugget 4 (resized).JPG
    Golden Nugget 1 (resized).JPGGolden Nugget 1 (resized).JPG

EDIT: Sorry for the lousy photos. There's a torrential downpour outside, and we unloaded the machine into the (cramped!) garage, rather than try to bring it in the house. If anyone is interested, I'll post more detailed photos once I've got it inside.

#2 6 years ago

Awesome rescue!!! Congrats!

#3 6 years ago

Neat, what is that, like an american version of Pachinko?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Neat, what is that, like an american version of Pachinko?

A bit... the balls are lifted to the top of the playfield by a conveyor on the right hand side (you can see it in this IPDB photo: http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1054&picno=17213). They roll off the conveyor and down the metal ramp across the top of the playfield. You can see where the ball drops down onto the "bumper" on the left-- that's actually a flipper. You use the flipper to try to direct the ball to certain lanes-- and certain combinations of games award more balls. The control the player has over the ball is not pachinko like (I have a couple of those as well).

Once I've got it working, I'll have a much better sense of the rules and strategy.

#5 6 years ago

I found a video of gameplay of a 1953 Genco Silver Chest, which appears to be mechanically identical.

Apparently it didn't use metal balls-- it uses marbles. An old thread on rec.games.pinball suggests using these: https://www.moonmarble.com/p-1391-opaque-red-1.aspx

#6 6 years ago

Awesome find. Love that sort of stuff

#7 6 years ago

The torrential downpour stopped long enough for me to go out to the garage for a few minutes and plug the machine in.

It lights up, and the score motor starts running immediately- and decredits the score reels. So at least I know it isn't all seized up. I'm headed to my local Staples to get an engineering sized schematic printed, and I'll get the machine moved inside when I can get a buddy over to help.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Here's one you don't see every day- a 1953 Genco Golden Nugget. I saw this on my local Craigslist last summer, and it popped up again in my daily search about 2 weeks ago at a much more reasonable price. I shot the guy I message, and he told me I could have it for free-- his property sold, and it needed to go- if I didn't pick it up he was going to put it to the curb, and I couldn't let that happen. It's a little rough, and he said it's not currently working-- but it does appear to be complete, right down to the coin box.
    I found the schematic and the instructions at IPDB, but I don't know what size balls it uses. I have some extras for my pitch and bat machine, but they appear to be too big. If anyone knows what size they are supposed to be, I'd appreciate it! If anyone has one of these machines, I would greatly appreciate high res photos of the graphics (the ones on IPDB aren't adequate to make water slides of the decals from).
    FWIW, IPDB is incorrect-- this is not a flipperless machine-- it has single flipper on the left side.
    http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1054

EDIT: Sorry for the lousy photos. There's a torrential downpour outside, and we unloaded the machine into the (cramped!) garage, rather than try to bring it in the house. If anyone is interested, I'll post more detailed photos once I've got it inside.

Hi,
    Congrats on finding a real cool game. I have/had all the Genco vertical games, but currently have the Silver Chest and 400. Enclosing an older picture of the Golden Nugget. Hope this helps for now, but I'll look for additional pix.
    Yes, the games takes marbles. I use white in my machines.

Enclosing two pix of some early advertising for the GN. The ads are too big for my scanner, but I'll be pleased to take a high res picture of it. PM me with your email.

Joel

Genco gambling games 1 (resized).jpgGenco gambling games 1 (resized).jpg

Genco Silver Chest 400 1 (resized).jpgGenco Silver Chest 400 1 (resized).jpg

2017-05-29 16.27.02 (resized).jpg2017-05-29 16.27.02 (resized).jpg

2017-05-29 16.27.45 (resized).jpg2017-05-29 16.27.45 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Thanks oldcarz !

Two questions...

Is the comment I made above about the marbles correct? 1 inch?

Any thoughts on where to start looking for whatever is keeping the score motor running? Just got home with the large print of the schematic, and I'll tear into the game when I can get it downstairs.

Any idea what locks the bottom half of the cabinet closed? It's locked with the backglass door is locked, but I can't figure out how.

#10 6 years ago

Just for giggles, I'm going to document what it costs to get the machine up and running. I've spent untold amounts of money on my other machines, and never kept track of it. I'll edit this post as I go...

Large print schematic: $3.88.
    Wood glue, hitch pins, and corner brackets: $ 8.90 (total: $12.78).

(When I pulled the coin box out, there was a small handful of coins, so I actually made money picking this machine up)

#11 6 years ago

I would start on it like any EM game. First thing is to go through every switch and stepper and verify proper set up and action. Use a hard point file and lightly file every switch contact and then verify proper wipe.

It looks like there are not many relays which will make it easy to go through everything.

#12 6 years ago

oldcarz - I could also really use high res images of the graphics around the buttons and at the bottom of the backglass. I am going to try to make water slide graphics of them.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

I would start on it like any EM game. First thing is to go through every switch and stepper and verify proper set up and action. Use a hard point file and lightly file every switch contact and then verify proper wipe.
    It looks like there are not many relays which will make it easy to go through everything.

Yeah, that's what I plan to do. I figured he might know of problem areas since he's got two of them. Not a lot of documentation out there... but either way, I'll end up going through it switch by switch before it's over. I get a little OCD about that sort of stuff.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Thanks oldcarz !
    Two questions...
    Is the comment I made above about the marbles correct? 1 inch?
    Any thoughts on where to start looking for whatever is keeping the score motor running? Just got home with the large print of the schematic, and I'll tear into the game when I can get it downstairs.
    Any idea what locks the bottom half of the cabinet closed? It's locked with the backglass door is locked, but I can't figure out how.

Yes, the glass marbles are 1". I have a Genco Springtime, which also uses 1" marbles in the bagatelle in the backglass. So, Genco must have decided on this standard size among their games that use marbles. I have 8 marbles in the 400 and 7 in the Silver Chest. I don't believe it really makes a difference as long as there is at least one additional marble beyond the 6 used for game play.

The bottom half of the cabinet is on a hinge and simply folds down once the backglass door is opened and swung out to the side. There is a metal lip that runs the width of the bottom cabinet and when the backglass door is closed, it puts enough tension on the lower half to secure it. On my games, you need to put a little force on the backdoor to fully close and lock everything in place.

Been awhile since the games have been serviced and I'll try to re-familiarize myself with the motor run sequence. I believe the good news for you is once things are up and going, they should run true since I haven't had an issue in the several years that I own mine.

Another Pinsider, Jodini, restored the Silver Chest in the video you found. He's a good tech and very knowledgeable. Hopefully, he can chime in on these discussions.

I agree with MikeO that the preliminary steps are to make sure every stepper and switch is clean and has good wipe. Been my experience that even if such contacts look good to the eye, they still should get a light filing and alcohol cleaning, particularly if it's been many years since the game was operational.

Will get additional pix together for you. Good luck!

marble (resized).jpgmarble (resized).jpg

8marbles (resized).jpg8marbles (resized).jpg

lip on lower door (resized).jpglip on lower door (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Nice find and even better price! One of these came up for sale on craigslist near me last week. Very cool artwork and interesting concept.

minneapolis.craigslist.org link

#16 6 years ago

oldcarz -- Thanks! I figured out the hinged bottom. Without a lockable top half, it wasn't obvious.

BenB -- that one is a whole lot nicer than mine!

Spent this evening fixing the corners of the backglass frame. It was dangerously close to coming apart. It's glued and clamped now, and the glue is drying. In the next few days, I'll add corner braces on the backside where they will be out of view. I need to add locks to the top, and then I'll be able to move it down the flight of steps to my game room.

#17 6 years ago

I just want to chime in and mention how awesome it is to be on here and see pinsiders helping each other soooo much - on such a cool old school machine to boot!!!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

I just want to chime in and mention how awesome it is to be on here and see pinsiders helping each other soooo much - on such a cool old school machine to boot!!!

Amen. I've become fairly adequate at reading schematics and fixing EMs, and it's all due to kind folks here.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

oldcarz - I could also really use high res images of the graphics around the buttons and at the bottom of the backglass. I am going to try to make water slide graphics of them.

I emailed a dropbox link of high res pix. Hopefully, they'll be of help.

Also found a video that I previously made of several gambling machines. The Golden Nugget is in it:

Joel

#20 6 years ago

oldcarz - Thank you! Those photos are amazing, and are exactly what I needed!

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Large print schematic: $3.88.
    Wood glue, hitch pins, and corner brackets: $ 8.90 (total: $12.78).

Marbles-- 3 different colors (couldn't decide what I like) $18.10 (total: $30.88).

I can no longer edit the original post... so I'll add it to the bottom each time I guess.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

I emailed a dropbox link of high res pix. Hopefully, they'll be of help.
    Also found a video that I previously made of several gambling machines. The Golden Nugget is in it:
    » YouTube video
    Joel

Awesome video of some cool old machines!!

#23 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-good-with-genco-schematics#post-3801495

Started a thread about getting this machine up and running. If you have any expertise with Genco machines and would be willing to lend a hand, it would be much appreciated!

#24 6 years ago

That video is great, really classy machines! Good luck with your project.

#25 6 years ago

Previous total: $30.88

Flipper button and retaining clip ($3.71).
    3 playfield inserts ($2.82).
    Rings for posts and flipper: ($4.20).

New total: $41.61.

In other news, I think I'm pretty close to having it running. I can coin it up, and it credit counter decrements by one. The ball counter resets, and the lights come on. The conveyor that brings balls to the top of the playfield kicks on. The switch in the upper ball trough registers that a ball has gone through, and the balls play cycles through and eventually goes to game over.

What still isn't working:
    - no flipper
    - conveyor doesn't stop at the end of a game
    - playfield switches are non responsive.

#26 6 years ago

Haven't had any more progress. I started another thread that hasn't had much activity. If any of you are handy with Genco repair and inclined to lend a hand, please jump in!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-good-with-genco-schematics#post-3814400

#27 6 years ago

Good luck with your project, I would love to find one of those!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-unique-and-free-pickup-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.