Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by fireball2
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pool 2 (resized).jpg
    Game 1 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220704_031455174~2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220518_014841607.MP~2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220518_014836760.MP~2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220518_014810899.MP~2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220518_014759251.MP~3 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220518_013301377.MP~2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220516_213740311.MP (resized).jpg
    image-2 (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220515_210847_625 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220514_172808_2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220514_172756_2 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Ok people, I need help with this one. Clay?
    Anyway, I picked up a 1956 Chicago Coin Automatic Pool at the Golden State Pinball Festival swapmeet. It was in pieces and everyone was hrrming and saying that's cool. I asked it it worked. He says, "I don't know. I bought it 20 years ago, and never set it up." It looked super clean and kinda weird and cool, and the only info I could find was the flyer that boasted of the kick along feature like Sing-Along's jump ball, only with a pool ball! So I bought it.

Since i'm at GSPF with all the em gurus around, and it's a CC, so it can't be that complicated, and we already had machines set up back in camp, I toted it back to camp, and the boiz help me set it up. Plugged it in, loaded balls in it, put in 2 dimes and shoved the mech. Boom. Worked like it was new. Cues included in a little compartment, even the original chalk in the holder.

I can't find any info about this model. All the info seems to be about Hooligan Pool and the first one called Automatic pool. There are only 2 AP's in the world.

This one looks virtually unused.

More deets and pics soon.

IMG_20220514_172756_2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220514_172756_2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220514_172808_2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220514_172808_2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220515_210847_625 (resized).jpgIMG_20220515_210847_625 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

There's no manual. What the heck are the rules? All ten balls are red. There are 2 buttons near the front that look like you should set your ball on them that determine which player gets scored. It increments the hole values after every 2 balls are sunk. No cue ball included. Don't know if it was supposed to have one. We made up our own rules and went to town.

Also the score reels are cardboard and perfect.

#3 1 year ago
    image-2 (1) (resized).jpgimage-2 (1) (resized).jpg
    #4 1 year ago

Id check with Steve Young and see if he has a manual.

#5 1 year ago
    PXL_20220516_213740311.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20220516_213740311.MP (resized).jpg
    #6 1 year ago

Awesome Grab Brother. Good thing I wasn't at GSPF, may have had to wrestle you for this one.
    So pissed I had to work all weekend.
    Looks like it was fun as always.

#7 1 year ago

Dang, Mark! That looks like a whole bunch of fun! Never knew anything like this existed.

Megascore!

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Never knew anything like this existed.

Nobody did. None of the old-timer operators had ever seen such a thang. Now if I can just figure out the rules... There are almost no references to it on the interwebs. Ads in old Cashbox mags ($175 in 1956), the flyer, but that's about it.

Missed you, Mang... lots room to play and a lot of time to play. Plus mayhem in the campground.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Nobody did. None of the old-timer operators had ever seen such a thang. Now if I can just figure out the rules... There are almost no references to it on the interwebs. Ads in old Cashbox mags ($175 in 1956), the flyer, but that's about it.
    Missed you, Mang... lots room to play and a lot of time to play. Plus mayhem in the campground.

Missed you too, my friend. Definitely coming next year. Camp Silverball looked like a blast as did the entire weekend!

I dug around trying to find something and you're right; there's almost nothing on it. I can't imagine there are very many in existence anymore.

Bicyclenut is right...check with Steve at PBR. If anyone has anything, he would.

#10 1 year ago

Glad to see that my purchase of the space shuttle back glass from you helped fund this new project! Nice grab, man!

#11 1 year ago

I was telling Larry Z. (THE woodrail and wedgehead expert from PPM) about this game on Saturday afternoon. I didn’t remember many details about it but he was familiar with several similar games of the era. Maybe reach out to him to see if he knows anything about it.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Maybe reach out to him to see if he knows anything about it.

Was digging up his email just a few minutes ago!
    So great to see you, and thanks for the "condiments." And i hope the dogpup is ok.

We played that thing for hours Saturday night. I cleaned and adjusted the built in leveler bubbles. So killer.

#13 1 year ago

Just reached out to Larry Z. and Michael Schiess.
    And Steve Young. And Clay.

#14 1 year ago

Did you ever connect with Rob Hawkins and Don Mueting (Set up next to Rob Anthony?) They’ve cataloged all the old magazines and advertisements and have paperwork on just about everything. ( http://www.pinballcollectorsresource.com/ )

#15 1 year ago

I’m shocked that the back glass has survived being so close to the play field. Is it actual glass or plexi? Looks like a miscue could send a ball flying into the glass.

#16 1 year ago

That's really cool. Have fun dude!

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

I wonder if it's similar to Bar Billiards?

#18 1 year ago

Thats really neat, does the "super magic hole" work? On the flyer it looks like it will pop the ball into the next hole and the one after that? I'd like to see that in action!

Quoted from jgreene:

I’m shocked that the back glass has survived being so close to the play field. Is it actual glass or plexi? Looks like a miscue could send a ball flying into the glass.

It says Plexi-glass according to the flyer

#19 1 year ago

I was there when they set it up and started playing. It is a pretty cool machine. The super magic hole does indeed work as advertised. It neatly flips the ball from one hole to the other.

The backglass is in deed plexiglass.

#20 1 year ago

Steve Young: Sorry we don't have any documentation for that game
    Michael Schiess: I wish I could help you but I have never heard of it before
    Clay H: No response yet
    Rob Hawkins and Don Mueting: I lagged Art. I even bought a bagatelle from them with battery operated coils... and it never occurred to me to... duh. I just sent an email.
    Larry Z: As far as wiring schematics or other information, I'd try the usual suspects, but also reach out to Mike Pacak in Ohio.
    [email protected] He may have some info. on it.

So... Mike Pacak, Rob Hawkins and Don Mueting are my last hopes at this point.
    Anybody got any other ideas.

And the Uncivil Engineer is correct: the hopper feature works beauty just like Sing Along and suchlike. I think CC had a pinball or two that had the hopper feature too, if I remember correctly. Somebody in camp realized plexi is the only way to go with pool balls flying.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Good thing I wasn't at GSPF, may have had to wrestle you for this one.

Hmmmm... Italian gambling game?

#22 1 year ago

It's starting to look like there can't be more than a couple of these, no?

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I'd like to see that in action!

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Hmmmm... Italian gambling game?

Umm No, but you know I love you brother.
    But, I'm dying to play this. Next time I'm in the area I'm stopping by for Bread, Beer and pool.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Umm No, but you know I love you brother.
    But, I'm dying to play this. Next time I'm in the area I'm stopping by for Bread, Beer and pool.

You understand that whenever I make it a mission to own somebody's game, the mission is always successful. It worked on O-din for his Teacher's Pet, it worked when I wanted a Title Fight, it worked when I needed a DE Simpsons. I just haven't assigned mission status to it yet.

Yer welcome anytime for all of the above!

I'ma bring it every year to GSPF camp. It's gonna get its own tent!

#27 1 year ago

Plus I wrestled in high school all the way to league finals And coached HS wrestling later on. Bring it Daddio.

#28 1 year ago

http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/game_census.php?klov_id=16837

You may have seen this site already ?
    Mrblonde750 of Oregon was listened as owning this game
    Maybe he has info?

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwillie:

Mrblonde750 of Oregon was listened as owning this game
    Maybe he has info?

That's Automatic Pool. It's supposedly been confirmed that there are 2 left of those.

Still no word up on Advance Pool.

#30 1 year ago
    PXL_20220518_013301377.MP~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220518_013301377.MP~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220518_014759251.MP~3 (resized).jpgPXL_20220518_014759251.MP~3 (resized).jpgPXL_20220518_014810899.MP~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220518_014810899.MP~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220518_014836760.MP~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220518_014836760.MP~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220518_014841607.MP~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220518_014841607.MP~2 (resized).jpg
    #31 1 year ago

The cues are missing the tips. When I got home from the show and set it up, I found a tip inside the game.

#32 1 year ago

Thank you for making a video of that! They sure make it seem a lot cooler in the advertising lol but it is still neat!

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

There are almost no references to it on the interwebs. Ads in old Cashbox mags ($175 in 1956), the flyer, but that's about it.

These bumper pool games with automatic scoring features had a VERY brief fad in 1955-56. Scanning the Cash Box ads week by week, you can see all the manufacturers jumping on the trend, even Gottlieb! It died off quickly. (I think it lasted less time than the "wall game" fad of 1971-73.) Gottlieb went to a strict all-pinball-all-the-time policy for the next 22 years.
    .................David Marston

#34 1 year ago

Ok so... It's REALLY starting to look like this is the only one left. Like my brother Tony texted me, if not for the ads in cashbox, I'd be thinking this was a prototype.

#35 1 year ago

I'm gonna do some digging.

This has to be documented somewhere.

1 month later
    #36 1 year ago

Any news on this, Mark? fireball2

#37 1 year ago

I found a basket case example that was stored in a shed and walked away from. It was that bad.

1 week later
    #38 1 year ago

No new info found. I thought it was a miracle that tomdrum found another, but... Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Having a lot of fun with this game. Stoked I took a chance and pulled the trigger...

PXL_20220704_031455174~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220704_031455174~2 (resized).jpg
    #39 1 year ago

I would have probably bought that as well. I restored two Hooligan Pool machines. I can see many similarities with this game... certainly some differences as well. This is the first one I have ever seen so I really don't have any information about it. Nice find.

8 months later
    #40 1 year ago

Bump for a noob who's an owner!

#41 1 year ago

Hello everybody. Was in Vegas a few weeks ago and went to the Pinball Hall of Fame and thought about my family's old coin op bumper pool table when I saw several old Chicago Coin coin ops there. Over the years I have looked to see if there are any postings on a table like mine, and there have never been any except for the brochures. I thought I might have the last of these. But I was super happy to see that there is another table, possible two, surviving after seeing posts on this site.

My table originally belonged to my grandpa. He got in the late 50s or early 60s in trade for some jewelry. The stories I have heard is that he would trade for pinball machines and exchange for a different machine now and then. But when he got this table he loved it so much that he decided to stick with it instead of trading further. I have many fond memories of playing with my brothers and cousins in down in his rumpus room. The door with the coin op was generally open so we could pinch the contacts together to start a new game. I am wading through some old pictures of his house that might show it in its vintage glory.

I have two pictures of it on hand that are of it right before I put it into storage. My table clearly has some issues, but last time I plugged it in it worked and I think these issues are hopefully fixable. Seeing Fireball2's table makes me want to bring mine back to life. Probably time to get it out of storage and see if she still works. But I'll have to check with the wife first.

Really very excited to see another one! Thanks a lot for posting!

Greg

Game 1 (resized).jpgGame 1 (resized).jpgPool 2 (resized).jpgPool 2 (resized).jpg
    #42 1 year ago

Hopefully that's just latex paint,
    Looks pretty clean. Coin door should be an easy fix I think. Start her up and let me know what doesn't work. It's a fairly simple electromechanical game.

Now 2 confirmed playable ones left!

#43 1 year ago

Also... What rules did you use when you played!? It's been driving me crazy! Do you spot balls first? Where? I have improvised some rules that seem to work, but I'd really like to know what the original rules were!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-u-t-omatic-pool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.