DSCN4867_(resized).JPG
DSCN4866_(resized).JPG
DSCN4865_(resized).JPG
DSCN4861_(resized).JPG
DSCN4841_(resized).JPG
DSCN4839_(resized).JPG
Rodney_(resized).jpg
MCP_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballprowess.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago

Seems to be a safe bet that Harry Mabs doesn't get talked about as much as the other designers.

Probably due in part that he just goes so far back in flipper pinball's history (the beginning) but hard to deny that Wayne Neyens took off like a rocket when he became the chief designer at Gottlieb after Harry left, so I think this would be the main factor. And then look what happened when Ed Krynski took the baton from Wayne! What big shoes he had to fill. And not only did he 'fill' those shoes... but did it extraordinarily well.

But I was recently talking to a friend who is working on a lot of Harry Mabs' games in a collection and he told me he was amazed at how good these games were. I personally do not own a single game he designed and really haven't even played many of them. I do remember how surprised I was when I first played the 1950 Bank a Ball he designed. Sure doesn't look like much when you see it.

More recently at the Banning show they just happened to have a Music Man. I more or less just played it because it was 'there' and more importantly, was one of the few EM's that was even playable. And I was again struck by how well the game had been designed.

These two instances and what my friend recently told me, lends me to believe his games are a lot better than most people are even aware of, including myself.

#10 7 years ago

They say you don't really appreciate something... until it's gone, had that happen 'today' with my water heater!

We take it for granted now... but can you imagine pinball without FLIPPERS??

BOOOOR-IIING!!!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Talking about shoes to fill, both Harrys left Williams around the same time and left Steve Kordek as the main designer of the company.
I'd say he did a pretty good job.

Absolutely!

I think he designed some of the very best 'of all time' during the early to mid-sixties.

We are all very fortunate to have had the great EM designers that we did.

#31 7 years ago

Hey, its always been the SAME for me, ya know....

I get no respect... no respect at ALL.

Rodney_(resized).jpgRodney_(resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago

I understand Three Musketeers is a really good game from this designer.

I know someone who has the game and also a friend who plays it when he's visiting there and speaks highly of it as well. I don't like to say too much about a game until I actually play it but you can almost tell from looking at pictures of the playfield on the IPDB, that it does have the look of a good game. And I'm not big on reverse flipper games but there are some great titles from my experiences on them so far.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballprowess.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-tribute-to-harry?tu=Pinballprowess and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.