New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 122239)

A Tough Message from Reciprocal NYC...

By bigehrl

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

22.jpg
    21.jpg
    36.jpg
    79.jpg
    1 copy.jpg
    Visit-Reciprocal.JPG

#1 5 years ago

if anyone is interested, please read and share the top post. this is a hard day for all of us, but want to thank everyone for their support of us through the years.

https://m.facebook.com/reciprocalskateboards?ref=bookmark

-jon - reciprocal NYC

#2 5 years ago

Sucks to hear...always enjoyed your posts.

#3 5 years ago

That really does suck. Best wishes for the future. I hope you can stay involved in pinball.

#5 5 years ago

Wow, sorry to hear that, Jon. I remember visiting your Skate shop, back in '12 when I visited New York with my dad. Your hospitality was second to none and the cool vibe (and cold beers) in your shop/gameroom will always be a good memory. All the best!

Visit-Reciprocal.JPG
    #6 5 years ago

Jon,

We've never met, I don't skateboard and I've never been to Reciprocal, but I'm still sad about your closing. We do share a love of pinball and it sounds like you had a really good run and helped a lot of people out. Good luck to you and your future endeavors. I'll always wish I went to Reciprocal when I had the chance.

Mark

#7 5 years ago

Wow. Bummer Jon. My daughter and I were back out there a few weeks back. Always an awesome trip...

#8 5 years ago

Sorry to hear.

#9 5 years ago

That blows, another cool place in the East Village to be replaced by an American Apparel or starbucks.

Nice and run and I'm sure Jon will keep pinball going at Jackbar in Williamsburg.

#10 5 years ago

That sucks. Very sorry to hear. Good luck in the future. My buddy is ALWAYS there. I'm sure he's bummed.

#11 5 years ago

Jon, really sorry to hear it. One of the fun parts of visiting NYC was coming down there and playing some pinball. The shop will be missed.

I hope you are able to move on to your next endeavor soon.

Dave

#12 5 years ago

This does suck-Reciprocal was one of the key places that helped revive pinball in NYC several years ago. John does have a new venture already--Jackbar in Williamsburg (formerly Satellite Lounge) with a great lineup of pins and killer beers on tap in a nice mellow atmosphere. Can't replace the skateshop scene, but the flame is alive. Had lots of good times at Reciprocal as countless others did. Jon, let's have a round in memoriam tonite! See you soon at JB....

#13 5 years ago

This place was legendary, in no small part due to your attitude.

Sorry to hear that this has happened. Good luck with your next project.

#14 5 years ago

As a business owner, I feel your pain. It is hard for me to not snap at a customer when they complain about the price of a good, or the cost of golf, when I know how much money we profit. (none)

However, between sales tax, income tax, FICA, property tax, tax on water (I shit you not), taxes on all of the utilities, fuel tax and a few others that I am sure I have forgotten, at least I build some great damned roads.

Good luck to you in whatever your next endeavor is. What a shame that we can't succeed financially doing something we love.

#15 5 years ago

Sorry to read of this. Best of luck in whatever comes your way, friend....

#16 5 years ago

jon, big hug next time i see you, and whiskey is on me.

really a shame, but i applaud you for staying true to yourself, to pinball, and to the skate community.

see ya at jackbar.

#17 5 years ago

Sorry to heat that. Do you have anything left to sell? I may buy one board and give it to my son. With the story.

#18 5 years ago

Sad news indeed

#19 5 years ago

I travelled from Australia to visit this amazing place, I met john & his crew on several occasions to talk all things pinball. My eldest son had the pleasure of visiting just 3 weeks ago & I am glad he had this opportunity , as the youth of today are what john wanted to pass his passion for pinball & skateboarding onto. This place will be sadly missed by a lot of people.
    I am just so glad I had the chance to visit & the memories will never be forgotten.
    Good luck with your next venture.

#20 5 years ago

Sorry to hear this my sister lives in LI City and has passed by on more then one occasion

I hope you take your love and passion and apply it to the new chapter in your venture

James

#21 5 years ago

That stinks. Good Luck John! Can we buy some decks signed by YOU?

#22 5 years ago

I grew up wishing I could skate like TA and Shogo. I don' skate too much anymore at 50. I still collect vintage skate stuff and play pinball everyday. Sorry I never made it to your place. Good Luck

#23 5 years ago

Well hell,
    Sorry to hear of this.
    Keep your head up and keep flipping.

#24 5 years ago

Sorry to hear Jon. I loved your place and had a great time talking with you. Good luck in your next venture!
    Chris

#25 5 years ago

I've never been there, but what a cool looking place! Great looking outside. Lots of colorful boards. Nice artwork. AND PINBALL!

I can't help thinking that the skateboards would have sold better if they had included wheels?

#26 5 years ago

Sorry to hear of this. Kinda sad times with so many of the legendary skate shops closing up. Liberty in Brea, California closed recently.

All the best with your new endeavors.

#28 5 years ago

Sorry to hear Jon...
    I really wanted to visit your place if/when I was ever going to NY, so I could pick up one of your awesome pinball themed Reciprocal decks (displayed in top left; behind Robin) to add to the wall of "pin-travels." (autographed by you of course...)
    Kicking myself that, I should have done it sooner, rather than later.
    It's especially hard to take in this day and age, because things that are consistently awesome SHOULD theoretically stand the test of time "if", an owner shows genuine passion for what they do and the services provided consistently blow the bigger competition away. (based on how today's social media can now be used/exploited.) I guess though- like in most big cities, niche places like CBGB's and the Broadway Arcade, which oozed cultural/subcultural history aNd NYC sentimentality for decades, sadly have no "free pass" to hand over at the end of the month when it comes to paying all the bills...

Thanks for all the passion and hard work Jon; good luck with your next endeavor!

#29 5 years ago

Jon, sorry to hear. I have enjoyed visiting the shop over the years, and introducing my son not so long ago. Truely a sad day for skateboarding and pinball. Hope to see you again soon in your next endeavor.

Cheers!

#30 5 years ago

I just want to say thank all of you for the amazingly kind words. we are super proud of what we did there for almost 6 yrs. and you can believe I'll do it again, just as I'm doing with Jackbar. the love feels so good, I can't fully express it. see you all soon.

-jon

#31 5 years ago

This sucks. Such a cool place.

#32 5 years ago

Damn, this bums me out. I had such an awesome time hanging with you guys NYE 2011. Thanks for the awesome hospitality and for keeping the pinball torch lit in NYC when it was just you and a couple other places.

#33 5 years ago

My wife and I always made it a point to visit your shop when we made it up to the city. You will be greatly missed by both of us. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Joe and Maria

#34 5 years ago

Your DMD boards are genius. Sad news indeed

#35 5 years ago

This place looks beyond cool. Kicking myself for doing dumb touristy shit when I was there last fall. This was obviously the place to be. Sorry to hear this.
    Best of luck with the new place man. Jackbar is on the list now next trip.

#36 5 years ago

bummer. important part of my new beginning in pinball almost 3 years ago. took the trek from n.j. many times. the people that worked there were the very coolest and made me feel very welcome into the pinball world.

#38 5 years ago

Total bummer, I loved Reciprocal.

Jon's place in Brooklyn Jackbar is and excellent place to celebrate pinball and have a beverage.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jackbar-brooklyn

#39 5 years ago

It sucks when any small business fails, but at least you are smart enough to know when to quit.
    Good Luck in your future endeavors.

#40 5 years ago

Just 6 years ago playing pinball in NYC was just like everywhere else almost nonexistent.

Then cam Al Pinaholic, and Jon with Reciprocal Skateboards each fledgling operators with the love of Pinball and wanting it to grow again.

Soon Chris Medina with his Pinball NYC league appeared and before long these three individuals separate, but with equal desires for the hobby to return to the masses, made Pinball grow in the city at a phenomenal rate.

These three were the godfathers of the resurgence of Pinball in NYC which led to places like Modern Pinball and all of the media coverage on Pinball that has taken place here in NYC (Which also carries throughout the country).

The loss of Reciprocal is not just a loss for NYC its a loss for Pinball as well.

In the History of the resurgence of Pinball in NYC reciprocal must be noted.

Jon not only offered Pinball to the Youth but he kept the games at 25 cents against the wishes of local operators so that the kids could afford to play.

Reciprocal held PAPA tournaments during the bludgeoning rebirth of tournament play.

Reciprocal was the first to get media coverage on Pinball in the city since I believe the 90s.

Reciprocal also harkened back to the days where NYC was gritty yet was unique and had charm
    before it became just another large middle American shopping Mall.

I describe Reciprocal as the C.B.G.Bs of Skateboards and Pinball with Heart.

So now another NYC Icon is gone along with another unique Pinball venue.

Jon still operates Pinball at Jackbar so in that the spirit of Reciprocal Skateboards still Lives.

Just a few Pics

Jon, Myself setting up and Jersey Jack who came in person to Reciprocal to deliver a very early WOZ the 2nd in NYC.

1 copy.jpg

Just some of the players that could be found at a Reciprocal event.

79.jpg

36.jpg

Jon Popadiuk visited
    21.jpg22.jpg

#41 5 years ago

thank you so much, Eddie. you were a huge part of all of it.

#42 5 years ago

>> the margins in the skate industry, particularly for a mom and pop skate shop are just not there

That is what sucks about the whole thing..... big quantity stores pushing out the little shops.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

>> the margins in the skate industry, particularly for a mom and pop skate shop are just not there
    That is what sucks about the whole thing..... big quantity stores pushing out the little shops.

That pretty much goes for most mom and pops in any industry. Big quantity stores and online sales.

#44 5 years ago

That was great Eddie.

If I get hit by a bus anytime soon please help out with my obit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.95
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 42.00
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 18.95
    $ 234.99
    $ 6.50
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 27.95
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    £ 99.00
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside