Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

balltrap4 (resized).jpg
balltrap3 (resized).jpg
extras_small (resized).jpg
Dominos under playfield (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I just had a Dominos in for service (flippers not working and pop bumpers machine gunning). The first thing I noticed were that some common items in standard pinball machines from other companies were conspiculously absent in Spooky machines. For instance:

1. Where the heck is the manual and schematics?

2. Where is the prop rod to hold up the playfield?

3. Where is the convenience outlet to plug in my soldering iron?

These items are essential in my opinion and no machine should ever be manufactured without them.

#2 5 years ago

Totally agree

#3 5 years ago

That's Spooky pinball for ya...

#4 5 years ago

"Let's see how many servos we can fit into one game"

#5 5 years ago

All machines should come with a pf prop and schematics without question.

#6 5 years ago

Also ,passive ball release gate. Always irratating when raising playfield and a ball ralls out and rolls on the floor underneith a couple having dinner.

#7 5 years ago

Service rails under the playfield should be standard

#8 5 years ago

I love how the double prop rod on my Genie holds the playfield up on both sides so you don't get the flex that you do with just a single rod. I don't know why every game doesn't have something like this.

#9 5 years ago

This is my first experience with a Spooky pinball machine. I can't believe how they cut corners by not including the basics: manuals/schematics, prop rod, and service outlet. Heck, this Dominos didn't even come with ANY instruction cards or pricing/free play cards. I had to fabricate those! Even my buddy Welby Bergum here in Olympia saw that machine and commented about how cheezy it was and how he would NOT buy one.

Can you believe Spooky only installs ONE playfield slide bracket? Here's the one on Dominos.

Dominos under playfield (resized).jpgDominos under playfield (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago

Another thing I noticed: it is not even wired for a dollar bill acceptor. How can that be in today's world? This Dominos machine only came with a standard two chute coin door (NOT bill acceptor ready), no coin acceptors, and no cashbox!

#11 5 years ago

Not just Spooky. Stern is guilty of some of this too. No prop rod and the serice outlet is basically useless without an extension cord.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

This is my first experience with a Spooky pinball machine. I can't believe how they cut corners by not including the basics: manuals/schematics, prop rod, and service outlet. Heck, this Dominos didn't even come with ANY instruction cards or pricing/free play cards. I had to fabricate those! Even my buddy Welby Bergum here in Olympia saw that machine and commented about how cheezy it was and how he would NOT buy one.
Can you believe Spooky only installs ONE playfield slide bracket? Here's the one on Dominos.[quoted image]

Par for the course...

#13 5 years ago

There isn't even any Dominos score/instruction/pricing cards available on Spooky's website.

#14 5 years ago

I hear you.

To be fair about the score cards, cash box and bill acceptors when dominos first came out I read that the machine was aimed at domino franchises purchasing and putting in their lobby for people to play while waiting for their pizzas. If that was indeed the case they were meant to be on free play. No excuses about schematics, prop rods and such.

#15 5 years ago

My post here is as a pinball repairman for 40 years and about things I believe should be standard in a pinball machine. It doesn't make any difference if you like/dislike the product Homepin is currently making.

I'm well aware of how difficult machines can be to repair. That's why, right from day one, we built in all of the things I like to see when fixing a machine. I'm sure we can do more but from what I see in this thread there are an awful lot of corners being cut by some.

Some will not agree with me but I believe there is absolutely no need at all for much of the surface mount tech used these days in things like pinball machines. There is certainly no space issue in a pinball machine. It really comes down to saving money. Problem is it makes serviceability more difficult. Yes, some people are fantastic at repairing SMT boards but there just is no need for it in this application IMO.

I'm always open to suggestions to improve "repairability".

extras_small (resized).jpgextras_small (resized).jpg
#16 5 years ago

Having been inside an America's Most Haunted on location, I agree that spooky games are cheaply made. After purchasing four servos to repair a game and replacing a drop target bracket that didn't come out of a 3D printer, they are one company that will never get my pinball dollar.

#17 5 years ago

I just wish that some of these designers would check and see if a man sized hand would fit into some of the places they need to get to in a pinball machine. Some of these guys who design the undersides of these games must have real small hands and I am not trying to be funny here.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I just wish that some of these designers would check and see if a man sized hand would fit into some of the places they need to get to in a pinball machine. Some of these guys who design the undersides of these games must have real small hands and I am not trying to be funny here.

Ever work on a Safe Cracker? Talk about a lot of shit jammed into a small space!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Ever work on a Safe Cracker? Talk about a lot of shit jammed into a small space

Loads of fun. Anything you need to work on, you need to remove something else to get at it.

LTG : )

#20 5 years ago

Another thing that really annoys me when working on a machine is when you lift the playfield and (usually in my case anyway) you forget to remove the balls -

crash, crash, CRASH.......uhoh........SMASH!!!!

Homepin builds in our own version of a ball trap that prevents this. Basically it's a little railway carriage weight on roller bearings that is very sensitive to lifting of the playfield. When you start to lift the PF the carriage rolls forward and blocks the balls from coming out of the trough. The way our trough is built, there is also a hinged flap that moves with gravity to prevent balls from coming out of the drain hole. So the balls are trapped in the trough at both ends.

balltrap3 (resized).jpgballtrap3 (resized).jpgballtrap4 (resized).jpgballtrap4 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 20.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-suggestion-to-make-servicing-easier and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.