(Topic ID: 89568)

A Steve Ritchie Fact that made me Spit out my Cheerios!

By Jared

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

reverse-1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif
    20140404_204251.jpg
    20140320_202155.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-29-12-26-17.png
    image.jpg
    Street_Fighter_II.png
    friendship.gif
    cheerios.jpg
    mk3shaok.gif
    tumblr_ln0avdWzxH1qemjpbo1_400.gif
    mk2_kahn.png
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Steve Ritchie has done a lot for pinball, from design to sound, not to mention his consistent appearances at conventions and festivals. SR is one of the "good guys" of pinball and we all love him for a lot of reasons...

But Steve has a dark secret... (ok its not a secret, but I didnt know this and odds are you didnt either)...

STEVE RITCHIE IS SHAO KAHN!?!?!?!!!!?

mk2_kahn.pngmk2_kahn.png

Yes, its true! The evil emperor of the underworld in the most acclaimed and successful fighting arcade game series of all time was voiced by none other than Steve Ritchie himself!

FINISH HIM!!!!!!!!! Yeah... that was Steve Ritchie!!!!

tumblr_ln0avdWzxH1qemjpbo1_400.giftumblr_ln0avdWzxH1qemjpbo1_400.gif

And yeah... we love him most for his pinball machines, but Steve has actually been involved in a lot of arcades as well... some of them you might have not been specifically aware of.

Next time you see him around... just remember... underneath that nice smile and kind handshake... is pure evil...

mk3shaok.gifmk3shaok.gif

#2 9 years ago

Did he do the Toasty voice too? lmao

#4 9 years ago

not at all suprised actually. His voice is pretty recognizable even after the sample shifting

#5 9 years ago

"Toasty" voice and dude that pops out at the corner.....that is Brian Eddy. That is why you hear that toasty drop in MM when you slay the dragon sometimes. True story, brah.

#6 9 years ago

Here's a compilation of all of Steve's MKII sound bytes:

"Friendship! Friendship!"
    friendship.giffriendship.gif

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

Here's a compilation of all of Steve's MKII sound bytes:
    » YouTube video
    "Friendship! Friendship!"

Yes!!

#8 9 years ago

I asked Steve to do an impression of Mortal Kombat at MGC, and he said "It's not an impression, it's the real thing!"

"Lui Kang Wins!"

Awesome-sauce!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

"Toasty" voice and dude that pops out at the corner.....that is Brian Eddy. That is why you hear that toasty drop in MM when you slay the dragon sometimes. True story, brah.

No, that was Dan Forden who did the sounds for MM and all the MK games.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

most acclaimed and successful fighting arcade game series of all time

Street_Fighter_II.pngStreet_Fighter_II.png

#11 9 years ago

Steve ritchie did a bunch of voices over they years for midway and williams
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Ritchie

Black knight / bk2k
    space shuttle
    space station
    no fear
    firepower
    ac/dc

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Don't think that's correct.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Steve ritchie did a bunch of voices over they years for midway and williams
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Ritchie
    Black knight / bk2k
    Space Shuttle
    Space Station
    No Fear
    firepower
    ac/dc

F-14 - Now you die! BWAHAHAHA

#14 9 years ago

You geeks don't have a club for this yet?

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Street_Fighter_II.png 76 KB

Nah, I think MK has been more successful and profitable that SF...

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Street Fighter Capcom 34 million (as of 2012)[114]
    Mortal Kombat Midway/Warner Bros. 26 million (as of 2007)[115]

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html
    http://web.archive.org/web/20071023152817/http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/news_060707_mortal.html

#18 9 years ago

Street Fighter is the more successful franchise.

#19 9 years ago

I *think* Steve was also the voice of Sinistar.

Maybe I made that up, but I am pretty sure I heard that at one point.

Chris

#20 9 years ago

Hmmm...I thought everyone knew Steve was in MK. He wasn't happy that they uses his voice in the movie & didn't pay him.

Here's another MK fact for you, Bakushan!

Ho Sung Pak (Liu Kang) was in the Raphael suit for fight scenes in the original Ninja Turtles movie
    Daniel Pesina (Johnny Cage) was a Foot soldier!

#21 9 years ago

Love this thread

#22 9 years ago

I probably stuck a fortune in both of those machines. I remember exactly where MK 1 was the first time I saw it in the arcade. It blew my mind. MK2 was even better and probably the best one. SF was good because it seemed to port better to home consules.

#23 9 years ago

Street fighter 2 got me into arcades and I remember playing the SNES port all the time. We then made the switch to MK, MK2, and MK3. I still like the MK series, own a MK2 and MK3 machine. However as I went back and played these games as an adult, I think SF is the better series. After watching and realizing how deep these games actually are, I think SF takes the cake.

Speaking of which. I need to get working on my cabs so I can actually play these games again.

#24 9 years ago

He also does a couple of "NO WAY"'s in smash TV and Total Carnage

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Street Fighter Capcom 34 million (as of 2012)[114]
    Mortal Kombat Midway/Warner Bros. 26 million (as of 2007)[115]

I agree that Street Fighter has sold more games than Mortal Kombat, but you really can't use numbers of Mortal Kombat games sold upto the year 2007 versus Street Fighter games sold up to 2012.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I *think* Steve was also the voice of Sinistar.
    Maybe I made that up, but I am pretty sure I heard that at one point.
    Chris

Nope. John Doremus.

#27 9 years ago

What would be funny on Star Trek is, on the penultimate shot to take down the Vengeance, Steve said "Finish him!"

#28 9 years ago

Not sure if Franz from Champion Pub was modelled on Steve Ritchie? I think there is a resemblance
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I agree that Street Fighter has sold more games than Mortal Kombat, but you really can't use numbers of Mortal Kombat games sold upto the year 2007 versus Street Fighter games sold up to 2012.

I was quoting a wikipedia article and its sources that had those numbers.

But you'll agree that 2007 is way past the prime of both those games. Anything after 2007 for either game is negligible.

#30 9 years ago

I remember being pissed I had a snes and the port removed the finishers in the mk port.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

I remember being pissed I had a snes and the port removed the finishers in the mk port.

They weren't removed, they were altered. No blood/gore.

Nintendo always made 3rd parties censor their games...but I don't think the gaming public noticed/cared until Mortal Kombat ....and even though the Genesis port was shit - just the fact that it had the gore (ABACABB) pretty much turned the tide in the console wars toward Sega - Nintendo was deemed "kiddy" and Sega was crowned "cool". Nintendo finally had to abandon their censorship policies for the sake of business...and SNES MK2 turned out great. Kinda funny to think a few years down the road Nintendo would release one of the FILTHIEST games of all time - "Conker's Bad Fur Day" ...and then years after that, the Xbox remake would be more censored than the Nintendo version!

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I would disagree. SF2 was the first which spawned a whole spew of fighting games. By the time MK was even made, SF2 was already on the championship edition.

#33 9 years ago

I'm a huge MK fan and I am thrilled with this news! I was a video gamer first and pretty new to the pin addiction. I grew up with the fighting games. I probably told ten people today...like they give a $h!^ who Steve Ritchie is. But I just had to share this with somebody.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

They weren't removed, they were altered. No blood/gore.
    Nintendo always made 3rd parties censor their games...but I don't think the gaming public noticed/cared until Mortal Kombat ....and even though the Genesis port was shit - just the fact that it had the gore (ABACABB) pretty much turned the tide in the console wars toward Sega - Nintendo was deemed "kiddy" and Sega was crowned "cool". Nintendo finally had to abandon their censorship policies for the sake of business...and SNES MK2 turned out great. Kinda funny to think a few years down the road Nintendo would release one of the FILTHIEST games of all time - "Conker's Bad Fur Day" ...and then years after that, the Xbox remake would be more censored than the Nintendo version!

The Sega Genesis was out way before the SNES, and Nintendo was playing catch up the whole time. The tide only turned once, in Nintendo's favor, when Sega stopped developing for the Genesis in '95 to push the Saturn. Because the Nintendo 64 was delayed until '96, Nintendo kept the SNES alive and pumped out some of its best games long after Sega gave up on the Genesis. This allowed Nintendo to win the 4th generation of consoles, 49 million to 40 million.

#35 9 years ago

this thread needs a sf vs mk popularity poll

#36 9 years ago

Steve Ritchie put the "K" in Mortal Kombat as well.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

I worked for the publisher that did the port. I was an associate producer at the time. Even worst than the removal of the finishers is Nintendo insistence on not showing red blood. We settled on green and the blood was supposed to represent "sweat".

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from BooyaNY:

Nintendo insistence on not showing red blood. We settled on green and the blood was supposed to represent "sweat"

But nintendo had slightly better graphics, plus with a game genie you could change the color from green back to red

#39 9 years ago

Before I found pinball, I grew up with the Mortal Kombat franchise and had to own each one.
    Screenshot_2014-03-29-12-26-17.pngScreenshot_2014-03-29-12-26-17.png

Then I sold them all to buy pinball Machines
    20140320_202155.jpg20140320_202155.jpg

And then about a month ago, I bought my favorite mortal kombat back
    20140404_204251.jpg20140404_204251.jpg

#40 9 years ago

MK3 ultimate and pins seems like a great choice.

Fun Fact OP thanks for sharing.

#41 9 years ago

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh!

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh!
    » YouTube video

I remember when this song was played regularly on the radio. It was the summer of 1995...

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

I was quoting a wikipedia article and its sources that had those numbers.
    But you'll agree that 2007 is way past the prime of both those games. Anything after 2007 for either game is negligible.

No I wouldn't agree with that at all. Street fighter may have past it's prime but Mortal Kombat was still making games that we're selling well long after that. They made the DC vs MK game and more recently the one for PS3 that was super successful and became a greatest hits title for PS3. So I would be interested to compare the current figures to make it fair.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Before I found pinball, I grew up with the Mortal Kombat franchise and had to own each one.

I think I need help. I find nothing weird about seeing someone with 10 pins lined up in their game room, but show me four video games and I instantly think "Dude, that's crazy!" Now if it had been a Tempest, Star Castle, Star Wars (vector) and Battlezone I'd immediately think "What a well-rounded visionary collector." It's a weird day when you realize just how screwed up your internal compass really is..

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

What would be funny on Star Trek is, on the penultimate shot to take down the Vengeance, Steve said "Finish him!"

Penultimate shot? Wouldn't this make more sense for the ultimate shot?

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

The Sega Genesis was out way before the SNES, and Nintendo was playing catch up the whole time. The tide only turned once, in Nintendo's favor, when Sega stopped developing for the Genesis in '95 to push the Saturn. Because the Nintendo 64 was delayed until '96, Nintendo kept the SNES alive and pumped out some of its best games long after Sega gave up on the Genesis. This allowed Nintendo to win the 4th generation of consoles, 49 million to 40 million.

I worked at a game store when MK came out, and Genesis/SNES seemed pretty neck and neck. Genesis had won over the sports game fans (The EA Sports games were better on Genesis), SNES had the Mario/Zelda/RPG fans. That fall that MK came out though....we sold SOOO many Genesis consoles w/ the MK game - and lots of people were trading in their SNES's for Genesis.

Look, Genesis was awesome with tons of amazing exclusive games ...but I truly believe that MK was the turning point that made people think Nintendo wasn't cool.

#47 9 years ago

One of my favorite names of all time. If I were a rapper I would drop Ho Sung Pak's name in every rhyme.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh!
    » YouTube video

I don't thing Steve was the announcer on MKI and therefore not him in the "dance hits' that were released. Even so...the "dance hits" kick ass.

I bought an UMK3 flyer to take to Expo this year in hopes of getting Steve Ritchie and Ed Boon to sign it.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

One of my favorite names of all time. If I were a rapper I would drop Ho Sung Pak's name in every rhyme.

Also rhymes with Tupac.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I worked at a game store when MK came out, and Genesis/SNES seemed pretty neck and neck. Genesis had won over the sports game fans (The EA Sports games were better on Genesis), SNES had the Mario/Zelda/RPG fans. That fall that MK came out though....we sold SOOO many Genesis consoles w/ the MK game - and lots of people were trading in their SNES's for Genesis.
    Look, Genesis was awesome with tons of amazing exclusive games ...but I truly believe that MK was the turning point that made people think Nintendo wasn't cool.

I think the fact they wook out the blood on SF2 on SNES also pissed a lot of people off. So the combo of the 2, really gave Sega the edge.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-steve-ritchie-fact-that-made-me-spit-out-my-cheerios and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.