(Topic ID: 52276)

A service call from hell/issue how to solve?

By pinballplusMN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I always like to share interesting stories so here it goes.

I sold a campground some equipment last year and he has been a good client. He is about 1.5 hours+ away from me. He owns his own games and its a seasonal spot. He called me on a Cruisin World that he has repeated monitor issues with. Its a double seater and does well for him. I explained that we could upgrade the monitors to LCD screens and he would have reliable games again. He was all for it. So I ordered 2 lcds on Wells Gardners site as they market it as a replacement for cruisin. All totaled with mounting brackets shipping and bezels about $900+ dollars. I call the customer and proceed to head out on the call. I have help with me and we leave the cities at 3pm. Each install takes about 1.5 hours average as brackets have to be cut as well as bezels etc. Time has to be taken to make it fit nice. After install we have the old monitors and the owner offers to take them to recycling. They are tired, dirty and stinky. I figure who wants them . One has a bad red gun the other a weak tube. We get ready to go and the games look great. I arrive back home about midnight.
    Two days later the owner calls and is having issues with the right cruisin . Only when 2 people race each other the lcd goes blank for a couple seconds and comes up again. I figure well maybe the lcd is defective or it may be a power supply issue. The owner sends me a video as well.
    I do some research on the KLOV site and find other people with similar issues when installing lcds in linked games . It seems to have to do with the refresh rate and signal is too weak to be picked up by the lcd.
    I call Wells today and the tech tells me they are aware of the issue and nothing can be done. He proceeds to tell me to separate the games and disable the link and the issue will go away! I wont do this because my client has a huge marquee that promotes these as linked games besides the kids like racing each other too. I explain to the tech that the Wells website advertises these as replacements and I bought these as a pair. He explains that the Lcd's are not the issue and the game board timing is when being used as a link is not compatible. He further tells me that he gets a call every couple days with people having the same issue. He just instructs the end user to disable the link feature and use them as stand alone units. Im sure some just do because they already spent so much time on the upgrade. I ask him if he were in our shoes how he would feel. He didn't have an answer. Customer service at Wells did offer a refund if I send the old Lcds back with packing. Trouble is Im out shipping both ways, 8+ hours labor and drive time and no monitors as the other ones are thrown away. I feel deceived by Wells plus I have an unhappy customer. Any ideas, How would you solve?

#2 10 years ago

What a nightmare! That is one of the reason I ended up getting rid of my business....to many headaches. I suppose if I were in your shoes, I would try to locate a good deal on a nice set of CRT's. Maybe try to pocket the difference in price (if there is one) and send the LCD's back. Either way you will end up on the short end . I was always way too nice to my customers and would always take the loss if it meant a happy(er) customer.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Any ideas, How would you solve?

could do what Oppy said.

But I think you should call Wells again and tell them that the issue using LCDs in a linked mode should be posted prominently on their Site as well as any data or Spec sheets for these replacement LCDs.

At least now you are aware of the issue,small consolation...

#4 10 years ago

Yeah, the fact that they constantly get calls about this issue but don't warn buyers about it is poor customer service in the best case scenario, but I have a feeling they know that would cut into their sales (they go so far as to advertise it as a direct replacement), as the linking feature is the main attraction for these games.

#5 10 years ago

Man that sucks. A company as big as wells Gardner should post that there could be an issue with linked games. I'm glad you posted this because my twin rush the rock drivers are going to need new monitors in the future.

#6 10 years ago

What would happen if you put only one CRT back in?

#7 10 years ago

had same issue out of Wells on a Rush 2049.....also instructed to unlink them...Luckily one tube monitor was good. One LCD, one Tube and the problem goes away. I feel your pain. Rush the Rock will have the same issue I believe if linked...better to just recapped them

#8 10 years ago

Get a sync booster so the lcd can sync john! You could also get a converter to go from mid res to high

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Get a sync booster so the lcd can sync john!

never heard of this....what is it and where to get it?

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedquickss:

never heard of this....what is it and where to get it?

Ment to say the ultrimarc signal booster. I have used it to fix this said issue. As long as both cabs still have vga cables your good to go. Pending on Lcd you could also jump from vga to hdmi for a better lock. You need to build a new Header for the amp.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Ment to say the ultrimarc signal booster

Is this it?
    http://www.ultimarc.com/vidamp.html

#12 10 years ago

yes but create a new harness coming from the poles to plug into a lcd. supply 5.1 volts to card off what ever pin it is on the jamma line, I forget been a few years. Pin 1 2 3 4 was 5+ on jamma i think. You cab grab it from the psu if there is no drop across the line going up otherwise you might over volt if there is a drop and fry either the psu or v-unit

#13 10 years ago

I may order one of these. Would both monitors on a linked game need updating? The slave is the only one im having issues with. Only screws up when 2 people are racing or when in attract mode showing the same screens. People can race independantly with no issues. Thanks jr

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-service-call-from-hellissue-how-to-solve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.