(Topic ID: 60390)

A Sad Weekend in the Iceman Household............

By iceman44

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rockwell_breaking_home_ties.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Well, I know that some of you have been through it a few times and others will experience it at some point in the future......

Dropped my oldest kid off at college this weekend and thinking that life is moving on and we still have our two youngest girls at home it would make it easier....it didn't and it was the toughest and most depressing thing I've ever had to do....depressing for us and exciting for her....

I'd love to take another trip around the college track myself!!....If only....

I ran into one of my college roommates from 30+ years ago who was dropping off his own daughter....wow, it seems like yesterday!

Hug your kids every day and be thankful, life rolls by in the blink of an eye......

I know this sounds nuts but I just went up and down my 4 pin lineup tonight trying to not think about it............

#2 10 years ago

Tough day. I never got blessed with children. Having them leave the nest has got to be tough.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Tough day. I never got blessed with children. Having them leave the nest has got to be tough.

You have plenty of children to watch over here Lloyd. Unfortunately some may never leave the nest!

#4 10 years ago

Its tough for sure. You can only hope the years of love and guidance steer them right. Kids surprise you all their lives and make you proud. Im sure now shes out on her own , it will bring her closer and have new found respect and love for her family.

#5 10 years ago

When my youngest of 3 daughters married and moved on, I was a wreck for 6 months. Anyone thinking they can't wait for a little peace might want to reconsider that thought. Plus, now my wife only has me to yell at!

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Dad?

=0

#7 10 years ago

I do sympathize. Our kids are such a big part of us; it is hard to imagine a time when none of them will be living at home. I know plenty of people who seem eager to be empty-nesters, but that is an adjustment I am in no hurry to make.

I remember being quite moved by the Norman Rockwell painting of the father taking his son to the train station to go to college.

rockwell_breaking_home_ties.jpgrockwell_breaking_home_ties.jpg

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well, I know that some of you have been through it a few times and others will experience it at some point in the future...
    Dropped my oldest kid off at college this weekend (...)

That will happen to our household next summer... we do sympathize!

Quoted from Craig:

I remember being quite moved by the Norman Rockwell painting of the father taking his son to the train station to go to college.

Thanks Craig for the painting, really nice.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well, I know that some of you have been through it a few times and others will experience it at some point in the future......
    Dropped my oldest kid off at college this weekend and thinking that life is moving on and we still have our two youngest girls at home it would make it easier....it didn't and it was the toughest and most depressing thing I've ever had to do....depressing for us and exciting for her....
    I'd love to take another trip around the college track myself!!....If only....
    I ran into one of my college roommates from 30+ years ago who was dropping off his own daughter....wow, it seems like yesterday!
    Hug your kids every day and be thankful, life rolls by in the blink of an eye......
    I know this sounds nuts but I just went up and down my 4 pin lineup tonight trying to not think about it............

It sure does!

Mine aren't in college yet, but my oldest starts High School this week. Holy cow! Can I have those last couple decades back please? Just seems that they go by so fast that you wonder if you are enjoying it as much as we should be. Got to enjoy them every day!

#10 10 years ago

Love that Norman Rockwell portrait.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Lots going on in that painting, have not seen that before now, thanks for sharing.

Enjoy the times with your children, I'm currently helping with football practice with my boys and cherishing every moment! My girls are off to college very soon and will be an adjustment for our family--

#12 10 years ago

FYI: here's the Wikipedia article about the painting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Home_Ties

Our son went to college several years ago now, which was the moment that I went back to look at that picture more closely. Our daughter is still in high school but will head to college in three years. Then it's just the two of us for the first time in 27 years.

#13 10 years ago

Thanks I am thinking of my daughter she just turned 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-sad-weekend-in-the-iceman-household and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.