Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by frisbez
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190804_142507 (resized).jpg
    20190803_215004 (resized).jpg
    20190803_214945 (resized).jpg
    20190803_214922 (resized).jpg
    20190803_214908 (resized).jpg
    20190803_122737 (resized).jpg
    20190801_154510 (resized).jpg
    20190801_124610 (resized).jpg
    20190801_095959 (resized).jpg
    20190801_092758 (resized).jpg
    20170409_132315 (resized).jpg
    20170409_220346 (resized).jpg
    20170409_184916 (resized).jpg
    20170409_184853 (resized).jpg
    20170409_000855 (resized).jpg
    20170408_234449 (resized).jpg
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

Shame to hear. I became obsessed with pinball during the pandemic and watched tons of old PAPA videos. I was looking forward to going. Here's hoping a phoenix rises from the ashes.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from aFineMoose:

Here's hoping a phoenix rises from the ashes.

Rise, Rise!!!
    injkhlkjdex (resized).jpginjkhlkjdex (resized).jpg

#53 3 years ago

This is really too bad. I never entered the tournament, but I had started to make it an annual personal event to drive there and back on Saturday just to play the great assortment of machines. Thanks to all those responsible for making it such a great event.

#54 3 years ago

This is truly a dark day for Pinball.

Hats off to all the folks at PAPA and Replay. My heart goes out to you.

These guys have worked like dogs for years, organizing events and promoting Pinball at the highest level.

I went to my first Pinburgh in 2019. I managed to finish in Division C (well above my skill set). It was *such* a blast and the sense of Pinhead Promised Land was Epic. You see all the famous guys floating around. I played an entire round with Steve Bowden in my group. Jack Danger, as you can imagine, was everywhere...but mainly *competing*. I always saw Bowen Kerins streaming around - papers or some kind of electronic device in his hand - solving this or that administrative problem. The pinball techs were unbelievable, wheeling "pinball gurneys" with downed machines and getting them up and running like some kind of pinball M*A*S*H* unit.

A group of us attended Jack Danger's "party" the first night at a local bar. We got in a little late, so we got a booth near the back of the bar...about 15 feet away from Keith Elwin - who was busy doing his own stuff.

It was a fantastic experience, and I'm happy I got to go. Apparently, never again...

The organization was top notch. It can't be easy to organize 1,000 players for multiple rounds and 10 hours of play over two days (and then: playoffs on the third)...but these guys were nothing but a class act from top to bottom...and they NAILED IT!

This one's gonna hurt...bad...

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

This is truly a dark day for Pinball.
    Hats off to all the folks at PAPA and Replay. My heart goes out to you.
    These guys have worked like dogs for years, organizing events and promoting Pinball at the highest level.

Agreed. I had fun at the events growing up, and am honored to have made it to the top 4 at PAPA for a few years. Very professional and organized events. Shame this is happened, wishing everybody nothing but the best...

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from CookyJar:

Sad that they were able to survive the 2004 flood and rebuild but not able to survive this.

The key is to buy low and sell high. If you have a ton of machines that have gone through the roof in price and you won't be able to use them for a few years, best sell them. Who knows what the world is going to look like 2022 and what prices you can get in 2022, can't blame them.

#57 3 years ago

Much love! Thanks for the good times!

BF247861-6434-4734-8749-7895478448A4 (resized).jpegBF247861-6434-4734-8749-7895478448A4 (resized).jpeg
    #58 3 years ago

Loved going to PAPA and loved Replaxfx Pinburghs.

Love Never Dies

Thanks for all the good times and hopefully one day we can do it again. Oh and thanks for the perfect round medal.
    Busted out the dogfish 120 for this sad news.

Love you guys and thanks again.

20201118_222218 (resized).jpg20201118_222218 (resized).jpg

#59 3 years ago

I’ve had some good times at pinburgh/replay, hope they return

#60 3 years ago

Always liked their youtube videos, the machines looked crisp.
    Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of beloved Institutions fall by the wayside with these lock downs.

#61 3 years ago

So im behind the times hugly it seems....that awsome warehouse in carnegie, PA that had the flood, is one in the same as reply FX correct. Is both that warehouse and its games in addition to replay FX going way or just replay FX.

#62 3 years ago

They haven’t had that warehouse for several years. They have just been holding ReplayFX/Pinburgh at the convention center for several years. Quite a shame to see this event dissolve. Many of my favorite pinball experiences were trips to Pinburgh. I wish a pinhead would just buy them out and take over.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This is great news. Now a spirit halloween can move into there.

If you've been to the new location you would know that no self respecting Halloween store would move in there.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

Love Never Dies
    Thanks for all the good times and hopefully one day we can do it again. Oh and thanks for the perfect round medal.
    [quoted image]

NO DRINKS ON THE GAMES!

#65 3 years ago

Too bad there wasn't a way to save Papa.

I wonder what sorta loot pinside could come up with using a GoFundme page?

Members chipping in like $50 each. You get 5000 members to do so, you've raised $250,000.00.

Papa closing is a REAL true hit to pinball. Something should be done.

#66 3 years ago

Really Pinburgh was a far more fun and impressive event than PAPA. But I get your point.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

"While the Foundation is not dissolving, we are liquidating most of our physical assets and cancelling all of our public events. Over the coming months, the Foundation will retire all of its debts, including the refund of prepaid tickets, and will exist solely as an online resource for the foreseeable future."

their online resources are invaluable, at least those will stay...
    but still

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

Love Never Dies
    [quoted image]

The 120 and you don't text me? I see how it is.

Quoted from bobukcat:

NO DRINKS ON THE GAMES!

You should see his Skateball/workbench combo .

#69 3 years ago

Hope Replay isn't done. The Mrs and I loved going.

M2 (resized).jpegM2 (resized).jpeg
    #70 3 years ago

I'm bummed, as I never went. I figured I'd go someday, but it looks like someday will never come. Here's a reminder for everyone: Do what you want while you still can. Nothing lasts forever, and you don't know how much time you'll have to do that thing you're putting off.

#71 3 years ago

Those “Bloody Barry”s were the best!

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Those “Bloody Barry”s were the best!

They were.

#73 3 years ago

The only comparable collection I’m aware of is the Museum of pinball, near LA, where INDISC is held. They have a great collection. The only problem is, their tournament is not great. Maybe they could change to the Pinburgh format. I would definitely attend if they did, and I bet we’d have a lot of people from Colorado in attendance. Who else would go if they switched their format?

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

The only comparable collection I’m aware of is the Museum of pinball, near LA, where INDISC is held. They have a great collection. The only problem is, their tournament is not great. Maybe they could change to the Pinburgh format. I would definitely attend if they did, and I bet we’d have a lot of people from Colorado in attendance. Who else would go if they switched their format?

I doubt they have the massive staff needed to make a pinburgh style match play tournament. Getting the games ready,
    Keeping them running, and running a tournament like that needs a lot of people.

Indisc had maybe 30 different games in competition last year. Totally different animal than the hundreds of games you need for something like pinburgh.

#75 3 years ago

They have a ton of games that weren’t used for the tournament. Are there any other huge collections out there with that kind of potential?

#76 3 years ago

Who’s going to buy all the games?

#77 3 years ago

The PAPA after parties were always some of my favorite times and I wish I could go back in time and take it all in one last time. I live a few miles away from the current warehouse of machines and wish I had the funds because I would by them in a heartbeat and keep it going. Nobody is ever going to be able to replicate the experience of the old facility and while ReplayFX was very nice it just didn't have the same feeling as PAPA. I enjoyed being able to hangout, tailgate, drink, and come and go as I wanted. PAPA was not perfect and before they switched bathrooms it was rough sometimes however those little quirks is what made it special.

#78 3 years ago

Maybe JJP?

Maybe PPS?

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

They have a ton of games that weren’t used for the tournament. Are there any other huge collections out there with that kind of potential?

Those games aren’t tournament ready.

They would need a massive staff - like papa had - to get them tournament ready, and to run the tournament.

It’s about so much more than just having a shitload of games. My advice would be to enjoy Indisc for what it is even if you think “the tournament isn’t that good.”

Papa going tits up should be wake up call. Enjoy what we have, and support what we have. And if you think you can do better, get something going!

#80 3 years ago

PAPA/ReplayFX will be missed. I have been going to PAPA since 2005. Never missed a year since I started going. Competed and score kept over the years. I also sold PAPA about a dozen or so games over the years. (King Kool, Frontier, Seawitch, Split Second, Freefall, Hokus Pokus, Hang Glider, Royal Flush Deluxe, Flicker, Gator, Spot Pool, ad Knockout) I will be buying a few back. I guess I could run a tournament. But it would be limited to about 15 people LOL. The people that ran PAPA/ReplayFX. The PAPA tailgates and after parties were legendary. From what I remember

Salas Current Game Room (resized).pngSalas Current Game Room (resized).png

#81 3 years ago

You got that right Levi. Running a major pinball show or tournament isn’t easy and we should all be very thankful for those that dedicate their time to make it happen for the entire community. Running a format like Pinburgh with 1000 competitors and 400 competition machines is a massive effort. Can it ever be replicated maybe but it will take a major dedicated effort from a massive team and a very passionate collector community to get it done. I have had the pleasure of meeting so many great people and Pinburgh started it all for me, thank you PAPA and now Replay for all of the years of dedication my hope is that you laid the foundation for many of us hopefully we can keep this thing going and keep the dream alive!!!

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They would need a massive staff - like papa had - to get them tournament ready, and to run the tournament.
    It’s about so much more than just having a shitload of games. My advice would be to enjoy Indisc for what it is even if you think “the tournament isn’t that good.”
    Papa going tits up should be wake up call. Enjoy what we have, and support what we have. And if you think you can do better, get something going!

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

PAPA/ReplayFX will be missed. I have been going to PAPA since 2005. Never missed a year since I started going. Competed and score kept over the years. I also sold PAPA about a dozen or so games over the years. (King Kool, Frontier, Seawitch, Split Second, Freefall, Hokus Pokus, Hang Glider, Royal Flush Deluxe, Flicker, Gator, Spot Pool, ad Knockout) I will be buying a few back. I guess I could run a tournament. But it would be limited to about 15 people LOL. The folks that ran PAPA are the greatest. Such great people. The tail gates and after PAPA parties were legendary.
    [quoted image]

#83 3 years ago

This is shitty news. I've never been, but looks like they were a true resource.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

The PAPA after parties were always some of my favorite times and I wish I could go back in time and take it all in one last time. I live a few miles away from the current warehouse of machines and wish I had the funds because I would by them in a heartbeat and keep it going. Nobody is ever going to be able to replicate the experience of the old facility and while ReplayFX was very nice it just didn't have the same feeling as PAPA. I enjoyed being able to hangout, tailgate, drink, and come and go as I wanted. PAPA was not perfect and before they switched bathrooms it was rough sometimes however those little quirks is what made it special.

BoJo you hit the nail on the head!
    Great times at the Carnegie building! It would be great if they could hold on to enough games to get the old set up back like at the Whse in Carnegie. As everyone stated above I would donate to help keep it going! One other quirk was the parking!

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:The 120 and you don't text me? I see how it is.

You should see his Skateball/workbench combo .

Ran into one bottle totally on accident yesterday getting rolls for dinner. The universe knew i needed it, i guess lol

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Even if citizens in the States started to take the pandemic seriously, you would still have the anti-science and anti-vaccine kooks spreading "facts" on social media to keep others from protecting themselves.[quoted image]

Well said.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from Liftserv:

BoJo you hit the nail on the head!
    Great times at the Carnegie building! It would be great if they could hold on to enough games to get the old set up back like at the Whse in Carnegie. As everyone stated above I would donate to help keep it going! One other quirk was the parking!

As fun as Pinburgh was part of me wonders if they just kept PAPA and the building in Carnegie if they would still be liquidating. PAPA required a lot less games in the competition compared to Pinburgh and likely a smaller workforce since you are only using a handful of games in the tournament.

I'm sure rent was expensive on that building which is why they relocated but I would have donated to keep it going as I'm sure many others would have as well. Pinball shows like the Expo and TPF are fun but PAPA was really different and I consider myself lucky to have been able to attend over the years it existed.

Sadly there is no going back or hoping this will happen again because I can tell by the list of the games for sale many have already been sold and once you open that can of worms there is no going back.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

As fun as Pinburgh was part of me wonders if they just kept PAPA and the building in Carnegie if they would still be liquidating. PAPA required a lot less games in the competition compared to Pinburgh and likely a smaller workforce since you are only using a handful of games in the tournament.

Agreed. Tragic. Unlikely to ever see a collection of this scope and size available for public tournaments ever again.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

PAPA/ReplayFX will be missed. I have been going to PAPA since 2005. Never missed a year since I started going. Competed and score kept over the years. I also sold PAPA about a dozen or so games over the years. (King Kool, Frontier, Seawitch, Split Second, Freefall, Hokus Pokus, Hang Glider, Royal Flush Deluxe, Flicker, Gator, Spot Pool, ad Knockout) I will be buying a few back. I guess I could run a tournament. But it would be limited to about 15 people LOL. The people that ran PAPA/ReplayFX. The PAPA tailgates and after parties were legendary. From what I remember
    [quoted image]

I loved that papa frontier. played so good

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

I’m disappointed that replay didn’t bother to ask us if we would be willing to donate our ticket money to keep the foundation afloat. I would have no issue in doing this and I bet I am not the only one who feels that way.

I don't think this would have been enough to make a difference either way, though a nice gesture.
    Their money lost this year was staggering - had to be, with no end in sight.

Had 6 trips to the orig PAPA facility - met allot of great people and had some good fun, inside and outside the venue.
    Replay FX will be missed.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, it is very difficult to host any sort of event. As you know, I run my own event. I was clearly not just being critical of INDISC, quite the opposite. I was simply pointing out that the Pinburgh format is amazing, and wondering aloud if there was anywhere else that could pull it off.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Everything was too small there. Even after moving to the convention center they couldn't meet demand, selling 1000 entries pretty much instantly.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Yes, it is very difficult to host any sort of event. As you know, I run my own event. I was clearly not just being critical of INDISC, quite the opposite. I was simply pointing out that the Pinburgh format is amazing, and wondering aloud if there was anywhere else that could pull it off.

“Their tournament isn’t that great” is the opposite of criticism?

Clearly!

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Everything was too small there. Even after moving to the convention center they couldn't meet demand, selling 1000 entries pretty much instantly.

I was not talking about Pinburgh and was referring to PAPA. Of course you need lots of room when 800 people are playing at the same time which is why they moved to the convention center but with PAPA and the game banks they had plenty of space at the old place and it was much more enjoyable.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

“Their tournament isn’t that great” is the opposite of criticism?
    Clearly!

Not sure what your problem is.

I am critical of that tournament, but this was not my main point.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

I was not talking about Pinburgh and was referring to PAPA. Of course you need lots of room when 800 people are playing at the same time which is why they moved to the convention center but with PAPA and the game banks they had plenty of space at the old place and it was much more enjoyable.

But that's the point. Carnegie was smaller than even just the tournament area at Pinburgh... how would you fit today's competition into that building?

Unless you go back in time when demand was much lower, or schedule three consecutive PAPAs, or tell over half the people who want to compete they're out of luck, I don't see how Carnegie would work.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Makes 2 of us.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Pacific pinball museum.
    Over 2,000 games set up and playable, at least that many not set up
    Unfortunately closed to the public due to an over restrictive fire department, but that could change. Not 100% sure but I believe it's the largest pinball collection in the world.

#99 3 years ago

So what tournament now will be the one to decide the WORLD Champion???

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

So what tournament now will be the one to decide the WORLD Champion???

Still have two left that I fight for every year:

http://www.indisc.com/the-open-ifpa-world-championship/

https://www.ifpapinball.com/ifpa17/

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-sad-day-for-pinball-replay-foundation-ceases-most-operations/page/2?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.