Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by frisbez
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190804_142507 (resized).jpg
    20190803_215004 (resized).jpg
    20190803_214945 (resized).jpg
    20190803_214922 (resized).jpg
    20190803_214908 (resized).jpg
    20190803_122737 (resized).jpg
    20190801_154510 (resized).jpg
    20190801_124610 (resized).jpg
    20190801_095959 (resized).jpg
    20190801_092758 (resized).jpg
    20170409_132315 (resized).jpg
    20170409_220346 (resized).jpg
    20170409_184916 (resized).jpg
    20170409_184853 (resized).jpg
    20170409_000855 (resized).jpg
    20170408_234449 (resized).jpg
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

In some very sad news, the Replay Foundation will be selling its collection and ceasing all physical operations. This includes Pinburgh:

https://replayfoundation.org/2020-announcement/

#2 3 years ago

Terrible news. Terrible times.

I hope there aren't more casualties of events.

LTG : (

#3 3 years ago

Sorry, never heard of them. But RIP just the same.

#4 3 years ago

That sucks Dame you 2020 come on 2021

#5 3 years ago

Be careful what you wish for.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sorry, never heard of them. But RIP just the same.

They are responsible for the Professional and Amateur Pinball Association (PAPA) and events like Pinburgh and the PAPA world championships.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Be careful what you wish for.

No shit. Gonna get worse before, if, it gets better

#8 3 years ago

I always wanted to make it out to Pinburgh.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from n1teowl:

They are responsible for the Professional and Amateur Pinball Association (PAPA) and events like Pinburgh and the PAPA world championships.

Well, I hope they can find other jobs then.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from n1teowl:

Wait.. so is all this going away? Are they selling off all the PAPA machines and no more Pinburgh for the foreseeable future?

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Wait.. so is all this going away? Are they selling off all the PAPA machines and no more Pinburgh for the foreseeable future?

thats how it reads.

#12 3 years ago

holy @%$@ .... very VERY sad news.

#13 3 years ago

Sad news for sure.

I went to PAPA once. Never ever seen anything like it. Never will again, i'm sure.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

thats how it reads.

Yeah just did some digging. They're liquidating EVERYTHING. I thought PAPA was it's own organization.. didn't realize Replay ran it.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Quoted from mr9865:

thats how it reads.

Wow! I hope not. That would be a huge disappointment for all pinball hobbyists/collectors.

#16 3 years ago

It was great for those few years at Pittsburg. Thanks to all those involved for putting on some great shows and helping to make memories that will last a lifetime.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

They're liquidating EVERYTHING.

I guess it's not the saddest day for those that can acquire them?

#18 3 years ago

Here's hoping someone can buy the collection more or less intact with the goal of keeping things in deep freeze until competitive play can happen again.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

until competitive play can happen again.

Are you unable to have competitive play without them?

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

are you unable to ever contribute something positive

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

are you unable to ever contribute something positive

Are you unable to get off your high horse?

Inferring that you might be able to have competitive play anyway is not positive?

#22 3 years ago

I haven't seen anything for sale yet. Wonder when they'll start the liquidation process.

#23 3 years ago

This is great news. Now a spirit halloween can move into there.

#24 3 years ago

Bummer news.

Makes me wonder if a very-deep pocket pinball enthusiast (or group of enthusiasts) can step in and help out -- perhaps buy up enough of the block of games, so they can stay afloat another year -- but leave all the games there...

-mof

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Bummer news.
    Makes me wonder if a very-deep pocket pinball enthusiast (or group of enthusiasts) can step in and help out -- perhaps buy up enough of the block of games, so they can stay afloat another year -- but leave all the games there...
    -mof

Maybe Stern?

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

Maybe Stern?

I thought the American pinball brothers came from a wealthy family. Fantastic opportunity for them to get the company recognized and they would have the appreciation from the community and tournament players (FWIW).

I’m disappointed that replay didn’t bother to ask us if we would be willing to donate our ticket money to keep the foundation afloat. I would have no issue in doing this and I bet I am not the only one who feels that way. Even a gofundme could have prolonged this decision for another year.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

I’m disappointed that replay didn’t bother to ask us if we would be willing to donate our ticket money to keep the foundation afloat. I would have no issue in doing this and I bet I am not the only one who feels that way. Even a gofundme could have prolonged this decision for another year.

Good point. Keep in mind they have at least a couple full time staff and the facility to store everything. It certainly would have been a good idea to ask (or maybe they did investigate this..) I would have thrown a wad of cash their way to keep it alive.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Good point. Keep in mind they have at least a couple full time staff and the facility to store everything. It certainly would have been a good idea to ask (or maybe they did investigate this..) I would have thrown a wad of cash their way to keep it alive.

In Doug's post he alludes to the fact that any prepaid fees not donated will be refunded. So at this point it would seem your donation would be to just keep the lights on while they liquidate.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Yeah. Very bad news. Maybe the amount they needed was so much they felt what was the point? But they could have presold papa slot rights or something? E.g. donate 1000 now but you get first dibs on future events? No guarantee there will be future events but with your help it will be more possible....

#30 3 years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#31 3 years ago

You've got to think that once the world returns to normality a lot of these things will come back to life.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

You've got to think that once the world returns to normality a lot of these things will come back to life.

If they were not liquidating, maybe. But, they are, so without games it would be a bit more difficult to bring it back.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Even if citizens in the States started to take the pandemic seriously, you would still have the anti-science and anti-vaccine kooks spreading "facts" on social media to keep others from protecting themselves.

vaccines (resized).jpgvaccines (resized).jpg
    #34 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Even if citizens in the States started to take the pandemic seriously, you would still have the anti-science and anti-vaccine kooks spreading "facts" on social media to keep others from protecting themselves.[quoted image]

This^. We have people sick in the hospital that still deny it’s real.

#35 3 years ago

"While the Foundation is not dissolving, we are liquidating most of our physical assets and cancelling all of our public events. Over the coming months, the Foundation will retire all of its debts, including the refund of prepaid tickets, and will exist solely as an online resource for the foreseeable future."

#36 3 years ago

What a true shame.
    Pinburgh and Replay FX were simply awesome.
    PAPA was a true standup organization too.

At Replay FX, they had the nicest assortment of pinballs and vids that I had ever seen in my life - cherry and great to play.
    Thank you all to the staff for the many wonderful memories and all the HARD work to make things happen and keep things going to this bitter end.

You provided many of us some very Good Karma.
    Especially at times, when we needed it most.
    And we thank you.

#37 3 years ago

Sad that they were able to survive the 2004 flood and rebuild but not able to survive this.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Of course you can have competitive play without them. But a match play tournament of the scale that Pinburgh had gotten to is HIGHLY unlikely. It hosted 1000 players and still had hundres more wanting to get in. You need a huge venue and a huge collection of machines that work great to pull that off. Pinburgh was an outstanding event that nothing else matched and it'll be sorely missed by tons of people.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from CookyJar:

Sad that they were able to survive the 2004 flood and rebuild but not able to survive this.

no insurance to cover the loss of a pandemic, unlike a before

What i dont understand, why they must liquidate. I know that i dont have even remotely enough information but here is why i say this, and of course, its merely my opinion

Monthly cost, i have no clue what size warehouse they have, or what the cost is, but im guessing its in the 5-7.5k range for monthly storage. As far as staff, that should be down to almost nothing currently, to be in survival mode. No need to have staff to maintain machines that you dont plan on keeping. So why cant staff be minimalized, and sell enough games a month to cover cost, and try this for at least a while longer. With having 1k games or so at the show, you know that they have many more reserves. They have plenty of doubles. So they could sell a double like an Addams Family, and that alone would almost cover the carrying cost to last a month itself. Even if my numbers are way off, then maybe they have to sell 2 or three games a month to cover cost. if they try to survive this route, they could easily make it a year and probably still have 1k in quality games

Now like i said, i dont have enough info, so maybe this was just the push they needed to be done,

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This is great news. Now a spirit halloween can move into there.

This is a pretty tasteless joke; but a pretty damn funny tasteless joke.

#42 3 years ago

Terrible news.. I'm not even sure I can completely comprehend the impact of this on Pinball world.

You'd think A Kickstarter or Fundraising event might make up the difference? Terrible news even
    with news of a Vaccine on the wind.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

no insurance to cover the loss of a pandemic, unlike a before

They weren't in a flood plain before and couldn't get flood insurance.

Kevin rebuilt on his own.

LTG : )

#44 3 years ago

So PAPA is seriously done? C'mon seriously?

Edit: Wait, this doesn't read as if PAPA is done, maybe just the events and assets for the foundation are done.

Edit 2: CRAP:

How will the sale of physical assets be conducted?

We have already received high levels of interest in our collection of pinball machines, video games, consoles, board games, and more, the majority of which consists of games in excellent condition with a high playability factor. We also have a number of rare and unique pieces.

We will be selling the collection through our newly relaunched Web site, as well as through outlets such as eBay. If you are interested in a bulk purchase, please reach out to us at [email protected].

In accordance with our mission, we are particularly interested in sales to persons or companies who will be operating games for the public to play. That’s what these games are for, after all.

#45 3 years ago

Very sad for pinball and Pittsburgh. I would gladly donate and I’m sure many others, to a Go fund me or something to keep them from having to sell everything off.

#46 3 years ago

There are very intelligent, pinball-passionate, business-savvy people on the Replay Foundation board so please give them the courtesy of knowing they considered all options before making a move like this. Pre-selling some tickets or a Kickstarter wouldn't have gotten them where they needed to be or they would have done it.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

There are very intelligent, pinball-passionate, business-savvy people on the Replay Foundation board so please give them the courtesy of knowing they considered all options before making a move like this. Pre-selling some tickets or a Kickstarter wouldn't have gotten them where they needed to be or they would have done it.

Sadly I am sure you are right.

#48 3 years ago

Wow this super duper sucks. :/

#49 3 years ago

Truly a sad day for PAPA. I have spoken with many of our friends that were involved with this event. They are gutted. It's something that was truly a part of Pittsburgh and I have a tremendous amount of respect for all the efforts by Mark, Doug and team over the last few years make this a must attend event. Hopefully there will be some form of this in the coming years. Pittsburgh has benefited greatly from all their hard work. Thanks again for all the memories at papa, all the way back to when pinburgh was at a hotel in banksville.

#50 3 years ago

This is such a bummer. Big thanks to everyone at Replay.... Pinnburgh was such a great event.. it was the only competitive pinball i ever really participated in, i met so many cool people there every year.

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-sad-day-for-pinball-replay-foundation-ceases-most-operations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.