Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by redrock
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

King Pin Ball Count Zero Position switch (resized).jpg
    King Pin A relay (resized).jpg
    IMG_4416_cr (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redrock.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I asked my question in one of my old threads about my Gottlieb King Pin 1973 EM but thought it would be better to start a new open; I hope this is OK.
    The start-up sequence is not working; I believe because of this relay.
    The schematic shows the 4 score reels to be open without power but the way the contacts are set, when the relay engages the long contract pulls away so all four can't close but open. This suggests that they are N/C and then open which is opposite the start-up sequence. Something is wrong but I cannot see it.
    Any help would be appreciated to get past this.

IMG_4416_cr (resized).jpgIMG_4416_cr (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago

Thank you for your post and insight; I'm at my wits end. This is what the startup sequence says regarding the "A" relays:

..."'A' relay coil is actuated by the switch on motor 2C".
    ..."When 'A' is actuated, it is locked in by the armature of 'A' relay reset coil". Through closed switches on the score units reset to zero through a switch on motor 1A. When all units are reset and motor 2B makes, 'A' relay reset coil is actuated. This release the armature on 'A' relay and opens the switches."

So, with power off the switches are closed and they open for just one cycle as the reset armature latches. The will stay open until all the score reels are zero and then the reset relay will return the four switches to the closed positions.

I'm thinking that maybe the issue is the motor stops and doesn't continue as it should until all reels are zero. Maybe motor 2B is making too soon? I'm going to check this out.

#5 4 years ago

Thank you Mark, I think one of my issues is that the playfield is up on its support and I've jumpered both the Hole and Trough switches in different combinations. What is the correct state of these two switches as I troubleshoot the start-up sequence?

#7 4 years ago

The problem is getting the score reels to zero, to complete the start-up sequence.

Sometimes I put this aside and work on the other switches and the scoring. To do this, after the start-up is complete (other than the score all zeros), I HAVE to press the hole switch AND the trough switch. Then I can work on the other things. If both of these are not depress, nothing works.

So, maybe once the zero reset is fixed, everything will fall into place. I have been thinking what you said about the NO switches. They close for one cycle of the motor; I just have to figure out why the motor doesn't stay on until the zero reset is complete. (It's ironic that most people with motor issues stay it will not stop!)

#11 4 years ago

Thanks for the help. I'm going to spend some time going over things and take good notes; stay tuned.

3 weeks later
    #12 4 years ago

Life intervened, and now that I have gotten this out of the way, back to my fun. I think that my problem is one that I have had from day one, i.e., the "A" relay.

The motor switch is normally closed, so the motor will run. But, when "A" activates, the blade pulls away and the switch opens, stopping at one cycle and not allowing the reels to continue until reset. Taking my finger to close it causes the motor to run. When all the score reels go to zero (reset), the "A" Reset relay activates, the "A" opens and the start sequence is complete. The three other operations for start up all work for the one cycle, while the reels requires more than one cycle, hence the problem of the motor stopping at one cycle.

The "A" motor control is just backwards; it seems possible that it could have be reconfigured but I can't imagine how this could happen. I know that I am missing something; I need some help.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redrock.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-relay-contacts-open-or-closed?tu=redrock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.