You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

J-D-smallbottle (resized).jpg
24EBE884-AABA-408C-B6EB-843A7A07C55C (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
DSCN6506 (resized).JPG
EBC35920-AE0D-4C05-855D-97677A078955 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just stopped by the house to get a tool and was sure that might come up. I am told I got my mom's face, but I know I got my dad's brain. Totally logical with very little emotion involved in making decisions. Get it done.
My brother on the other hand got more of my dad's looks and her brain. He is a real treat sometimes. Him and mom cannot spend more than ten minutes together without either blowing a gasket.
I appreciate all the kind words as this is certainly one of the toughest things I've ever dealt with. And I know the day is coming where I'm going to get the word and break down in tears. I'm just dealing with it the best I can and get a little frustrated with other people involved.

I really understand what you are going through with your mom. I too had to become guardian and conservator for my mom in January of this year. My mom who is 89 started having memory problems about 4 years ago. I had friends and neighbors of hers calling me about the problems she was having but I couldn't do anything until a doctor deemed her incompetent. She skipped assisted living and ended up in memory care as she actually forgets to eat. She was frugal her whole life so she has enough to pay for her care for a long time. The place she's at is really nice and on a golf course. The only problem is she is 400 miles from me as my little town only has a nursing facility that's not to nice, not a memory care. Pretty expensive but they take good care of her.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My mom was always very independent, but when I moved back to my hometown after my dad passed away 15 years ago, I started helping her more and more. Taking her shopping and to the doctors and bringing her food I had prepared. It all changed about two or three years ago with a 911 call and her in the hospital. She had found herself on the floor lost in her own house. It was presumed she had had a minor stroke, but knowing what I know now it might have been a UTI as she had a couple since then with very similar symptoms.
Anyway, she got well enough to go to assisted living. I go visit and take her shopping and to the drs like I had before. I kept her house maintained and ready with the thought someday she might come home, knowing all along someday it would be my job to clean it out.
That changed a few months ago when my neighbor across the street who I have known since high school's dad passed away. He was living with his family and taking care of him. Finds out after the fact his parents had reverse mortgaged the house to the hilt and there is no way they can stay there. They only want to stay around until their son finishes high school and then move out of state. So I make the tough decision mom is never coming home and I will get it ready, and let them stay there for a fair price.
It's no fun cleaning out 60 years of memories while mom is still with us, wondering what to keep and where to put it, but the job is almost done, no help one bit from my brother. But he sure likes to give out instructions and worry about money.

I agree .It's no fun. I'm a stay at home dad so it was easier for me to do it as my brother works. I had to trick her to get her in there and it took 7 plus 18 hr days by myself to clear out her house and get it ready for sale. I was toast after that but was glad it was done. She is much happier there because she has people to care for her and to talk to. Up until this she was still driving with only bare bones insurance that wouldn't come close to what she's worth.. I was scared to death she would kill herself or a child and also she would have lost everything she saved. I try to go see her every three months but I'm still raising my daughter for another year when she goes to college.Oh, by the way your plumbing job looks great

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Good on you, I’m right there with you.
Mine’s 83. Find out she had several mini strokes. Started with a call from highway patrol, driving wrong side of road, clipped someone’s mirror, driving down the middle of the highway 10mph. Had to bring the van to my place. Hardest thing for her is no drivers license.
Refuses to move. 3 hour, $300 grocery store trips. If I say “let’s get frozen stuff last”, “which isle am I allowed to go down” “you trying to starve me to death”.
Hired a helper for a couple hours 2 or 3 times a week. That lasted a week before the girl wouldn’t drive her to town. WWIII quickly started.
She keeps Amazon in business, ups, fed ex, mailman comes almost every single day. Nothing big just little crap.
Just like a difficult child, if you’ve never been in that situation, there is no way you could understand.

There's no way I could take care of my mom by myself. I love her but she drives me nuts.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

One of the toughest things I ever had to do yesterday. When I went to pick her up she was going off on the helper in her room. Got her calmed down as I loaded up her stuff. As we were driving away she said we got out of there just in time as they were about to blow the place up. She also asked if I had checked under the car to see if they had attached anything there. Also don't go back to get anything else in case they blow the place up then. The scene at the new place was not a whole lot better.

Sounds like your mom gets pretty unruly sometimes. My mom asks about her finances and forgets everything I say in about 5 minutes. I call her every week but she thinks it was 6 months. Hang in there buddy.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know the drill. When on the phone or visiting, she will say you never call or visit me. She's always been tough to deal with, to the point my brother could not take it anymore.
Well, at least in the new place, the guy took the time to look over her medications, and said although overmedicating is not the answer, he said there was nothing for paranoia, a symptom that maybe the doctors hadn't noticed or been aware of, but it is something that has been ongoing for a while now that I think of it.
It did not help that while I was filling out the paperwork they took her upstairs to get settled, and another patient was following her around speaking at her in Chinese. Scared the heck out of her.
I had a hard time sleeping last night wondering what else I could have done and in regards to the human condition in general.

My mom doesn't even know what town she's in and she has lived there for 20 years. Last time I called her she said the last place she lived was Pennsylvania where she was born and she's in Utah. She gets taken care of at least now and doesn't miss a meal. Before I got her in there she weighed about 90 pounds. She was wandering the neighborhood at night and the cops picked her up. There were also people trying to buy her house and taking advantage of her. It's a good thing I intervened cause something bad was coming.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My mom begged me not to leave her there, said she would sleep in my car. Then asked if I could give her $15 so she could stay at a motel when she snuck out later at night. I gave her the $15 which she stuck in her sock and seemed satisfied with that. Again, not a moment I ever want to relive again.
It SUCKS to have to make these decisions and not feel a bit guilty. But I've done just about everything I can over the last 15-20 years to keep her going. She never had to deal with her mother, as she stayed in Ohio with her big sister. When her mom had a stroke, her sister took her to the hospital. When her mom saw the hospital, she said oh god no! And died in the car. Then sent me off to military school when the going got tough at home. So I'm going to try to not feel any guilt in regards to this situation.

My dad passed away of a massive heart attack after a day of fishing right in the galley of his boat. He never lost his mind though and was sharp as a tack till the very end. Given the choice, that is the way I would rather go.

It does suck but don't you feel 1% guilty. You are doing the right thing.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thanks! I keep thinking what else could I do? Should I have looked at a few more places? It's not like I had a whole bunch of time or help in figuring it out.

I was lucky as there were only 3 places in her town with memory care and only one would allow her to bring her cat. It turned out it had the best care. I couldn't take her cat away. Does your mom have a pet? It helps to keep them from being lonely.

#75 4 years ago

All my aunts and uncles on my dads side got Alzheimers later in life and died. Like 6 of them. What was really bad was my half sister got early onset
Alzheimers when she was 60. She was one of the most fun people to be around and I loved her a lot. I saw her just before she died at 65 and she was grey like a fricken zombie. Did'nt know me from adam. I couldn't believe she went like that. Horrible disease and it scares the living shit out of me when I forget something. It's in my family bad.

1 week later
#89 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And of course the new place is unfurnished after cleaning out her house and getting rid of all the furniture.

Ah shit. That sucks man. When I got the care facility people to watch my mom I had to move all her stuff across town in 4 hrs including renting a U-haul. She must of had one of the first folding beds ever made. It must have weighed 400 pounds. It actually had hydraulic rams on it. It was completely worn out so I had to bring her guest bed which was 100 times better. When I cleaned out her house I practically had to cut that old bed into pieces to haul it to the dump.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think everything is going to be OK now. The last place, the memory care was on the third floor, where they are basically stuck with not much to do. And turns out English isn't spoken much, and one of the caregivers warned my daughter she was one of the only ones that did and cared for mom, and she was leaving soon for medical reasons.
I had wrestled with my conscious all week in regards to leaving her there and how I could ever take her out for the day and then take her back there. I wasn't sure if part of her mental condition wasn't partly because of either place she had stayed. It took my daughter telling me what she saw while she was there that made me realize I could not live with myself if I just left her there to die and did nothing. I actually started to cry when telling the lady at the new place how urgent it was to move her. When I got there yesterday she looked like a zombie on her last leg.
The new place is the whole package where they see that the elderly have every opportunity to thrive, not just survive. Totally professional and not one of the tenants I saw there looked like a lost soul. When I left mom sitting at the table with two other ladies she had color again and that sparkle in her eyes and thanked me very much after the initial resistance to another place. I called today and she is taking part in the activities and again was sitting and talking with the other ladies.
It is called Activecare and they run a chain of senior care facilities. It is a lot more than the other place, but it is her money and house and should be enough to keep her there without another move ever. She worked hard for it her whole life and she deserves it.

That's great Odin. Looks like you found the right place. Just curious . How much is a good memory care in Cali? The one my mom is at is $4500 a month.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They do vary. There are quite a few in that price range. This particular one, the way I set it up is $7500 a month, maybe a bit more when all is said and done. Her pension covers more than half of that. And with her savings and especially her house, I don't foresee any financial difficulties even if it goes higher.
It's all tax deductible too, so a good time to dump taxable IRAs and other annuities too. You don't want to know the conversations with my brother, the USC accounting major, in regards to this. He is totally clueless and would rather say what to do than actually do anything.

That's interesting. My mom has alimony and social security the comes to $1700 so she gets tapped for about $3000 a month from her savings. Whats scary is when they need nursing care . That's 9 to 10 thousand a month. Make sure you keep all receipts .

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A fitting song from a man from our town. It's been in my head a lot lately.

Just saw him in Tahoe this summer. He was really good.

4 months later
#120 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just wanted to update. I am so happy I got mom into where she is now. After the first week, the paranoia and the get me out of here were all gone.
Up until recently, I visited on a regular basis and her health and memory were way improved. I also noticed how clean they kept the place and they are taking every step possible to prevent their residents from getting sick right now.
Just got off the phone with her and she is like the mom of old. Chipper and upbeat. I am keeping her aware of the unfolding events so she can know what's happening an why we are not visiting at the moment.
I will repeat what I said a few months ago. If I had left her where she was, I probably would never be able to live with myself. And there is no moving anybody now. I can rest easy. At least for now.

I'm in the same boat with my mom. You did the right thing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-real-man?tu=jhanley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.