Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

violin-steve-buscemi.gif
image.jpg
aint-got-time-to-bleed.jpg
campus.jpg
image.jpg
predator_allentown2012.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I was fortunate enough to play a proto type Predator at Allentow last year and have a long talk to the guys. That was the final deciding figure for me. I guess you snooze you loose in these situations. Funny thing is I am the one that most of the time waits to long and get shut out. Hope this time I made the rite decision. Here is the game at Allentown 2012. It has come a long way in one year.

That pf looks borring and HORRIBLE! Those 2 standups dead-center facing the flippers below the pops? Really? 2 simple return ramps. meh. One vuk. Scoop hidden on the right. Kickout on the left. Unless I'm missing some cool mechs, this looks like the Ro Go of the DMD era.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Predator is a work in progress and I highly doubt the finished product will be boring.
http://www.skitbpinball.com/index.html

Fair enough, but I've seen a vid and the recent layout above. Is there a lot more going into it? And no way do I like those 2 center standups!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Kick ass adult theme.....boring it will not be.

But themr does not a fun pin make. It needs good pinball shots. The current pf seems... uninspired. Have not played it, admittedly.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

LOL, glad you actually got some play time on the pin before calling it boring. I know both people who have played the demo version of Predator and done a lot of research on the project that would totally disagree with you StevenP.

Fair enough. I acknowledged that I hadn't played it, but have watched video of demo gameplay and looked carefully at the layout. (Evaluating playfield layouts is a hobby of mine; one of my fave set of pin books is the Pinball Compendium series; I loved going thru the older games in the 1970-82 volume, comparing layouts to the play experience and imagining it on games I haven't played.) I hope it's a lot of fun as I am all for new pin ventures like this; it just seems to be a vanilla layout. I don't see a lot of 'satisfying' shots or cool toys, which has become par for new pins. And I really don't like those 2 standups almost dead center halfway up. If they work with the layout, that's cool, but looks to be a potentially cruel ball drain feature.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think there are some assumptions here that producing machines in quantity ain't no big thing.
You're talking about 2 upstarts, limited budgets, limited staff, it will be a huge accomplishment that these machines see light of day in any quantity. But then to produce hundreds and hundreds, without a factory, that is no small task. I think the Predator guys with their 250 are facing a big challenge already.
SkitB do seem to have plans to grow the business beyond boutique, they've said that after Predator their next pin will have a bigger run. So let these guys walk before they run.

Agree 100%. Besides the assembly hassles, there is a HUGE up-front cost for ordering a zillion different custom parts from vendors (in quantity), getting artwork printed, etc.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

This discussion seems to be going around in circles doesn't it? Skit-B is making 250 Predator pins. That is a fact that has been handed down directly from them to their future customers (those actually putting money down to buy them). I get that you don't like the fact that it is limited run plungemater but that is just the way it is.
As Tigerlaw points out they had an up hill battle just to get the point they are at now. They are charging a more then fair price for their first labor intensive project when compared to other manufactures. Other manufactures that are mass producing pins are now charging up to $7500-$8000 for new pins which is a steep price to pay IMO. So we should be applauding their effort not criticizing them for not making thousands of them on their first go at it.

I find it hard to predict what a satisfying shot is until I actually play the pin and hit the shot. As far as toys they have not been revealed yet but Back Alley Creations are making them which is the same company that made the toys for WOZ. Making conclusions regarding a pin that you have not played or even seen the final version of is presumptuous IMO.

Agree totally here. I was basing my opinion, as stated, on the current playfield layout and video of proto gameplay. The playfield layout doesn't seem to be very inspired imo. Will that be changed completely at this stage? I doubt it. Will they add stuff to make more interesting shots/interactions? Possible.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 34.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 107.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Latenight Weeknight Mods
$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside