Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

violin-steve-buscemi.gif
image.jpg
aint-got-time-to-bleed.jpg
campus.jpg
image.jpg
predator_allentown2012.jpg
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 11 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

you think you are entitled to the benefits of other people's risk taking.

This is it in a nutshell. The whole "think of pinball!!" argument is just the false rationalization.

#102 11 years ago

Ted! Since you aren't delivering me a pinball today, I need you to make a public service announcement about the sad plight of pinball, complete with Sarah McLachlan music and sad puppies that make people cry. Maybe, just maybe, if we can get thousands of people to pledge hundreds of dollars a month to me, I can save all the pinball machines. I'll open a wonderful facility to the public and let them play every machine for free. I'll even bake cookies.

"For just a small donation of only $5,000 a month, you will receive a picture of the pinball machine that you sponsor. Your name will be included on the Free Play card, and you will receive email updates on the current high scores, as well as the used rubber rings after we give them a relaxing day in our pinball spa. Please, help us save the pinball machines from terrible lives of being locked in some collector's basement."

(Oh crap, it looks like I went back into sassy mode. I told you all I'm irrational.)

#103 11 years ago

If you open a PayPal Donation thingy, we can all put some money in for you. I'll start with $20. You deserve it!

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Wait... I just realized that maybe I'm being punked by Kevin/SkitB. Maybe, just maybe, they are testing to see how loyal their customers are.

Anyway, This test of faith reinforces the Predator community.

To those not convinced by limited numbers; I don't even understand your point. There could be valid reasons to question our sanity to join Skit-B. But not this one. Predator was an open project, announced in public forums. Even some lousy French heard about it. Everyone had a chance, and you may still have one. There was/is a waiting list, but it is not many pages-long. So aiming at a production figure of 250 was reasonable. Changing this number would ruin trust.

As the Dude mentioned, a production of 250 is already a formidable challenge. If this game is really good one, the next one will be even better. And its production might be larger scale.

So rejoy, so many exciting projects in the pipeline. I wish they all succeed. No need for sterile controversy.

#105 11 years ago

I don't mind this as a discussion, as I like back and forth debate.

First, I don't really understand the whole argument "I will never buy a $5K pin, but they should be unlimited anyway" - to what end? If you won't buy one anyway why do you care? - --- unless you further argue that with unlimited numbers the market will get saturated and HOU sellers will be competing wt hundreds of others as well as the unlimited NIB being made to meet the demand, which will drag the price of resale pins. The argument wants Skit-B to take the extra risk and the pre order people to talk the risk if it turns out to be no good, but the late buyers who wait to see if its good take no risk.

This also is why I don't buy the argument that Sten started charging more money for LE pins, which drove up the price of A list pins which further drove up the price of Stern LE and further drove people like JPOP to sell pins for $16K which is bad for the hobbie because people can't afford $7K for The Avengers LE etc... My reply, is no one is forcing you to buy A listers like AFM or $7K NIB pins. There are still pins like T2 or BOP or South Park for $2K.

anyone wants a Predator pin get on the list. Already just 5% down Payment and people are dropping out. That just about will cover shipping maybe not even shipping. Once people are going to have to come up with the other 95% there will be open slots or slots for sale whatever the case may be.

I would say, someone like Blondetall or Ted or myself, can get Predator, it's not even a sure fire hit, but we can spend $5k on the potential. It may be like Tron LE or it may be like Avatar LE it's a risk. We could accept the risk, or of we want a sure thing, get a nice CFTBL or TZ or IJ or SM or IM or Tron pro etc.... Probably there are 20+ pins that could be in this price range, we could get one already or we can wait on a Predator and take a chance. It might not be very good, it might never even be made, I have no idea, it's a risk - reward situation.

#106 11 years ago

It's the journey.....

#107 11 years ago

(I'm first in line if this is SkitB's #2...) image.jpgimage.jpg

#108 11 years ago

I'm In!!! But no number yet, got the email from Kevin a few days ago and sent the down payment. OK since I have some skin in the game, I have some question from the folks who have an inside line with Kevin or other Predator pinball folks; is the playfield basic layout now set in stone? In other words is the white wood video actually showing the final layout or not? 2nd question is the DMD animation only beta or is the final product still going to be clips from the movie? I maybe in the minority but I wish there were less movie clips and more actual programmed animation..sorry if these questions sound ignorant but I never seen footage from the design phase from a pinball before.....thanks!

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I'm In!!! But no number yet, got the email from Kevin a few days ago and sent the down payment. OK since I have some skin in the game, I have some question from the folks who have an inside line with Kevin or other Predator pinball folks; is the playfield basic layout now set in stone? In other words is the white wood video actually showing the final layout or not? 2nd question is the DMD animation only beta or is the final product still going to be clips from the movie? I maybe in the minority but I wish there were less movie clips and more actual programmed animation..sorry if these questions sound ignorant but I never seen footage from the design phase from a pinball before.....thanks!

All clips.

White wood is "very close to gold" with what was assumed to be only a couple minor post adjustments. No one has seen any trace of the toys, though they are all stated to be active parts of the game.

#110 11 years ago

Movie clips, because they didnt feel that them creating animation for a DMD from scratch would match the style of the artwork and game. Next big update due in April, hopefully with more artwork and details.

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

No one has seen any trace of the toy

Hopefully some of the toys are shown in the april update. If I remember right, there was also a molded skull shown at one point, but not much explanation with it.

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Hopefully some of the toys are shown in the april update. If I remember right, there was also a molded skull shown at one point, but not much explanation with it.

They said the molded skull was going to be an interactive toy; perhaps a ball lock?

#113 11 years ago

What a conversation ! How dare the people that buy these machines want them to have value. The very folks that spend their money and are bringing back pinball.
Sorry PM but your quarters are not doing it. It's their buying and selling. And the industry knows it and has an obligation to them.
Nothing worse than a non customer telling the sellers how to run their business

#114 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They said the molded skull was going to be an interactive toy; perhaps a ball lock?

Maybe. A bash toy maybe. Couldn't really tell much from the picture, and it was a while ago. The problem with the predator thread is it's got so many posts in it that it's like going through War and Peace to find stuff of substance.

#115 11 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Makes me sick people are buying pinballs which only hold their valua because of its rarity.
You should buy a pinball only for fun. Those guys are ruining pinball. If one of these is great, then they should make more of them, if licenses make it possible.
Easy money for the producers and more people get to play a great pin. Those few moneyhunters, go get a job that earns better and leave pinball fo people that like to play instead of earn money on it.

violin-steve-buscemi.gifviolin-steve-buscemi.gif

#116 11 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Makes me sick people are buying pinballs which only hold their valua because of its rarity.

You get sick too easy. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

This discussion seems to be going around in circles doesn't it? Skit-B is making 250 Predator pins. That is a fact that has been handed down directly from them to their future customers (those actually putting money down to buy them). I get that you don't like the fact that it is limited run plungemater but that is just the way it is.
As Tigerlaw points out they had an up hill battle just to get the point they are at now. They are charging a more then fair price for their first labor intensive project when compared to other manufactures. Other manufactures that are mass producing pins are now charging up to $7500-$8000 for new pins which is a steep price to pay IMO. So we should be applauding their effort not criticizing them for not making thousands of them on their first go at it.

I find it hard to predict what a satisfying shot is until I actually play the pin and hit the shot. As far as toys they have not been revealed yet but Back Alley Creations are making them which is the same company that made the toys for WOZ. Making conclusions regarding a pin that you have not played or even seen the final version of is presumptuous IMO.

Agree totally here. I was basing my opinion, as stated, on the current playfield layout and video of proto gameplay. The playfield layout doesn't seem to be very inspired imo. Will that be changed completely at this stage? I doubt it. Will they add stuff to make more interesting shots/interactions? Possible.

#118 11 years ago

Layout ain't doing to much for me at the minute,but then again y could argue afm and others have basic layouts and that is prob my favourite.Have every faith these guys will pull it off.I'm just hating those bumper and target position at the min,but hopefully I'll be wrong

3 weeks later
#119 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

Well our concept was making a small run of games, truly limited. like orange county choppers. not a manufacturing plant with deadlines deciding design. If we change something (ie: redraw art) and it takes another month, then that is what is **best** for the game. As these games will be here 25 years from now. Price, quality, speed...pick any 2?
Also we know all our customers by name and not just serial numbers. we care about their input, ideas and suggestions and frustrations. it's not about production numbers (or money) it's about making amazing pinball loading with inventive features....as the **standard** game. The UE or Ultimate Edition. So we do not make an LE with a skimped-out low cost model, but just **one** design (One Ring to Rule Them All) with as much crap as we can fit in (afford).
This is how I was taught how to design games at WMS and the only way I really want to work. I think it makes the best pinball for my fans and the community. Jpop

I generally try to stay out of threads like these (like the PREDATOR VS ??? threads, etc), for fear that people won't want to voice their real opinions with a developer in the room, but damn, I gotta sound off and hand it to John for this post. Pay attention, folks. This is where pinball is headed, and is why it is on the rebound.

*Stats a slow clap*

#120 11 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

I generally try to stay out of threads like these (like the Predator VS ??? threads, etc), for fear that people won't want to voice their real opinions with a developer in the room, but damn, I gotta sound off and hand it to John for this post. Pay attention, folks. This is where pinball is headed, and is why it is on the rebound.

*Stats a slow clap*

Amen to that boys! That's why I'm on both trains.....choo choo

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

This is where pinball is headed, and is why it is on the rebound.

#122 11 years ago

(I'm still waiting for Plungemaster to come back and tell me all the wrong assumptions I made.)

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

(I'm still waiting for Plungemaster to come back and tell me all the wrong assumptions I made.)

heh heh....you said assumptions..heh heh heh heh heh

#124 11 years ago

(I'm also still waiting for Ted to deliver my pinball machine at work. I'm still serving Skit-B Kool-Aid, I'll save you a glass.)

#125 11 years ago

Oh, I'm already on my second glass...
(I was in the parking lot yesterday, but couldn't find you)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-question-for-the-creators-of-predator-and-bhza/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.