(Topic ID: 95283)

a 'protector decal' for my beloved spin out - em purists 'hide your eyes'!

By manitouguy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Grefla
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
94AEBB0C-35EB-4687-AC83-0D8815141516 (resized).jpeg
6E6A25EF-A47E-4FC6-9FDC-EC3EA02AB392 (resized).jpeg
F7772BCA-E210-488D-AC16-4042CE415045 (resized).jpeg
22818CC1-2470-4BB9-9AE8-75443EEF3BE8 (resized).jpeg
spinout after (resized).jpg
spinout before (resized).jpg
20180927_125104 (resized).jpg
20180925_150006 (resized).jpg
56C7F9C1-4FE5-40A5-9339-C4AEFE1218FC (resized).jpeg
BDA1BFD7-03A5-4278-8B63-2F3CFF048C25 (resized).jpeg
5F3B2FC5-E0E2-4092-BC94-E8CFB0F99774 (resized).jpeg
35D99F26-7A11-442E-8297-73A05B0E2A92 (resized).jpeg
F3DE4F88-CD2A-48A8-80A8-BDEDB4CAC94B (resized).jpeg
20141016_181827.jpg
20141016_181931.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manitouguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

hi all - just a post to show another 'experiment / idea' i have been noodling with for some time

my first pin was actually inherited from my father - my brother and i bought him a beautiful gottlieb spin out in the early 90s as a surprise retirement gift for a dad who did everything for us, but never anything for himself

he loved that pin and took great care of it - it eventually came back to me a couple of years ago and is still one of my favorites, for its play and graphics (i'm an old car guy ...) and of course for its sentimental value and memories too

at any rate - with my explorations into possibilities for laser cut vinyl decals ... and the enjoyment i get out of a 'design challenge' or graphics challenge i finally got around to take a run at a 'protector decal' concept

em purists hide your eyes !!!

most spin outs suffer from an ugly blemish in the undecorated blue field area under the kick out hole - although my playfield is near perfect .. my bionic eyes are always scanning for even the slightest signs of wear in that area - and i had come up with the idea / challenge to try and create a non-obtrusive, non permanent decal as a 'protector' for now so i can play away contentedly knowing my playfield was safe (i don't like or have the means to clear coat ..)

could i come up with a graphic that 'respected' the original art and 'fit right in' ...?

i think so, but will let you be the judges - the image below is simply a first 'concept' pass - not the actual drawing or completed yet with shading, no color matching or proper line weight matching etc etc - just a laser color print out of a test file i did, with the center insert cut out - tacked in place loosely over the playfield to get a sense of where it was at ...

original playfield

spin out play field.JPGspin out play field.JPG

playfield with test decal in place

spin out decal a.JPGspin out decal a.JPG

i figured, there are 3 cars on the backglass, so lets put another car on the playfield (and detail simple like the other two but make it 'unique' as well)... since the game is called 'spin out' lets have that car having a mishap - gottlieb liked a bit of story and comedy / action didn't they ...?, and since the 4 rollover is the 'key' one to get for the magical machine gun of specials if you have the rest lighted, lets emphasize it a bit ... and lets keep the colors etc true to the rest of the playfield - so here will use black with two of the playfield colors, so as not to have the decal stick out any more than the other art

all in all i'm pretty pleased so far - and hopefully won't upset any em purists too much!?!?

let me know what you think

regards, Ron

#8 9 years ago

thanks guys

nick pm me a message and i'll keep you on my radar

i suppose this could be a risky approach if one kept their machine in direct sunlight .. the fade could be different under the decal over a long period if one took it off in future ... but if not in sunlight will the playfield fade much more than it has in the past few decades .. hmmm

the center car decal should look cool when the 4 is lit too

anyhow, next hope to go in, do a better 'drawing' and some color and line weight adjustments etc

will keep you posted

regards, Ron

#12 9 years ago

textrivers - these vinyl decals are 'non permanent' - the adhesive holds really well but simply pulls up when / if you need it to

hope to get the actual drawing done tonight and then i can assign some colors and do some fine tuning

regards, Ron

#16 9 years ago

images were just a 'test' sketch .. i am almost done drawing up the actual art file - will post it for opinions maybe tonight if i get it completed

has been another fun exercise

regards, Ron

#17 9 years ago

ok, getting close now on the drwg .. a few line weights to adjust to better match the two original cars, a bit more detail at the tie rods .. a bit plain yet .. maybe a few other tweaks after i stare at it some more

then have to decide on colors - trying to use just the pink, red and yellow in some 'believable' combination

here is a try at red driver on pink car ... looks better in person, but i think not enough contrast

trimming out a few other color options to visualize

cheers, Ron

decal b.JPGdecal b.JPG

#18 9 years ago

here is a quick 'yellow car, red driver test' .. i don't like that there would be two yellow cars ... obviously still not worrying about color match ... i'll do that once i confirm the final colors

decal d.JPGdecal d.JPG

#20 9 years ago

hi nick, yes i will do one like that - i was talking to another pinsider on that - although there is no dk blue on the actual playfield, he also suggested trying one in the 'royal blue' ... i think i will stay with the pink car version below, as i had tried with my first 'sketch' mock up - i like the pink on playfield .. but i can make a blue one for you if you like it best - i will see if i can get that one mocked up tomorrow too

cheers, Ron

decal i.JPGdecal i.JPG

#22 9 years ago

kangourou ... all these years and i didn't even notice that mine didn't have the original plastic there!!! doogh!!

thanks

i can make up a replacement - but now i will have to hunt for that plastic or find a parts machine, my right sling plastic also has a crack near the top nut too

if anyone has spares ...

cheers, Ron

#24 9 years ago

ok, here is a blue version ... not quite the right blue but close enough to evaluate

tweaked a bit more of the drawing, added some detail at wheels, scaled a few things etc ...

the blue works better than i thought .. just having trouble with adding that color to the playfield in principal, as it wasn't screened on the original .. but maybe i should get over that as this decal is not original .. lol

opinions??

decal1a.JPGdecal1a.JPG

hmm maybe i'll try a version w blue car, red driver and highlights ..

#26 9 years ago

hi nick, i like this one with the red ...

decal2f.JPGdecal2f.JPG

decal1f.JPGdecal1f.JPG

i diddled around alot with the line weights and such, as i didn't want this looking like a crappy computer 'clip art' image .. i wanted to look at least a bit more 'hand done' to fit with the other car graphics ..

the red in the car is just a bit off still - too pinky, and the whites need a bit more aging / yellowing

Ron

#27 9 years ago

yellowed the whites a bit and added a bit more red to the car cockpit ... my laser printer at home cannot print the vibrant red but i'll make sure the decals are correct color there

i think we're there

1decal.JPG1decal.JPG

3decal.JPG3decal.JPG

#29 9 years ago

thanks dennis

i agree with your comments - it was hard for me to 'mod' my em, even if removable ... but in this case, wanting to protect the playfield at kick out area, and curious to see if i could pull off an acceptable design .. it was a good exercise with more 'lessons learned' and i am happy with the end result too

i look forward to getting an actual decal on there to show off the end result, should look great with the playfield lit up and all

cheers, Ron

#31 9 years ago

kind of like playing with paper dolls ... yikes!

Nick - i think i will print a few decals with the blue car and red cockpit (one on left side)

you ok with that ??

cheers, Ron

colors.JPGcolors.JPG

#35 9 years ago

thanks Shapeshifter - i am sure i will change a few details yet as i stare at it some more .. but do think i will leave it as the blue car w red interior

and yes - for me spin out can hold its own against many of the other wedge heads - i really like the play and chasing the roto target numbers

and all lit up at night, its colors really do work somehow - a very pretty machine

#39 9 years ago

thanks again guys

kangourou - with all due respect we will leave G M in his own league far far above .. i just copied his car lol

swinks - during the silk screening process the playfield would have had 'six'? color passes seperately (did i count that right) - base white, the pink, red, yellow, lt blue in some order and then the black letters and lines - each of the other cars is a simple 'two color' combo with a bit of the base white and some black being used as well - i was trying to stay faithful to that with the 'new' car also only having a two color set up - just like the two other cars were unique i also tried to use a combination of colors that didn't match those - and the tricky part, at least for me was using just enough white and black and balance of those two colors and pull it all together so it appears 'correct' for the playfield and existing art - so blue car but yes with red driver and tailpipes and a bit of other detailing ... hmmm not sure if that actually answered your question !?!? or are you asking if a version was tried with the tail pipes as same as body color .. i felt that wouldn't make for as 'dynamic' a color balance - and driver matching 'pinstriping' .. at one point i did have a bit of 'detailing' on the blue car, at front end in red (those triangular thingies), and also have a version with a smaller red 'gottlieb g' too ..

also challenging for me was to remember that the intent was not necessarily to draw anything real .. look at those wheel struts ...!!! but to keep in the 'spirit' of it all as a whole, color blend, line weight and 'fun factor'

cheers, Ron

#41 9 years ago

roger that pin-it !

thanks

#45 9 years ago

can you tell i get a bit ocd on 'variants' and options ... yikes

here is another way i am trying to pare down to a couple ... i do like the blue but keep coming back to a possible pink one as well

i'll likely print a few for options ... i also was toying with adding the 'gottlieb g' on this car like the other two had as well

from this set of 'twenty' i can quickly get it down to a smaller number and hopefully down to a couple from there

i like exploring 'all' the options clearly - and the mathematical combos aren't helping LOL

spin-out-color-options.jpgspin-out-color-options.jpg

#53 9 years ago

wayner .. that wheel is in the air already almost past the car moving at speed !!

i have chosen one pink and one blue scheme .. and may do one other

just cutting out the last 'paper dolls' now and will post some pics a bit later ... then i can finish up a few other projects on the go and send all over to have some decals made

#54 9 years ago

ok - this one wrapped up

final pink (subtle) and blue (center of attention) versions - for the life of me i cannot get my laser printer to print vivid red like on the playfield - but i am sure the decal printer equip can ...

i tried a blue version with blue tailpipes but they didn't stand out nicely against the yellow and light blue backdrop in my opinion

white gottlieb g was working the best in 'balancing' ... the crunch star worked better in red, if in white gave the car 4 'white corners' (w 3 other wheels) and graphically looked a bit more static

each will like there own but since its going on my machine ..

nick - i'll pm you .. you can let me know which you prefer, or if you really want one with blue pipes i can get that one made up too

cheers, Ron

so final pink.JPGso final pink.JPG

so final blue.JPGso final blue.JPG

#55 9 years ago

oh and hadn't mentioned - as the broken wheel is a seperate decal, it can be placed where one likes

i also noticed a 'creative fix' for my cracked right sling plastic - a couple of grommets, one above and below the plastic, where holding the cracked tip 'sandwiched' in place ...

i am going to try some two part epoxy so i can go back to using just the acorn over it too

cheers, Ron

so alt wheel.JPGso alt wheel.JPG

#58 9 years ago

thanks hoov, it was a fun challenge and more good lessons learned as well

i like the pink but yes most comments are for the blue .. go figure

fifty ... i think every guy who will / would use this decal will have that wheel in a different spot ... mine will likely be waaaay over on the left side up higher between the two cars .. as i noticed i have another minor 'blemish' there on my pf that i can then cover up too!! maybe not, if when re-waxed and glass on it doesn't show up .. we will see

wheel.JPGwheel.JPG

#60 9 years ago

your welcome to come play pins any time Warren - i still haven't got the actual decals done yet .. that's still just the paper try out

Ron

3 months later
#65 9 years ago

HI Elvis - i will try to get around to printing the decals, as there are a few others waiting too, just got lazy and distracted with other projects!

did your spin out come from Minniapolis area? just curious as a passed on a really nice one from there a while back

cheers, Ron

1 year later
#67 7 years ago

Reviving this old thread like my strange world decal thread

Just a heads up I'm back on this and hope to do some decal printing w vinyl soon

More to come

Cheers, Ron

11 months later
#69 6 years ago

Hi all – ashamed to say – like many of my other projects here, which I truly do intend to finish, this one has lagged for far too long

Life has kicked me sideways again but I'm clawing back some time for my pinball – in small chunks so I will try and complete and get some of these Spinout decals printed first and keep you posted

My other priority is my king pin restoration but that one won't happen as quickly as I had intended - The spin out decal art is done and has been for a long long time – I had planned on printing it once I had four or five other decal projects completed too - but it's time to get things moving again – will keep all posted in the next few weeks and will see how much these spin out the calls will end up costing as well

Cheers Ron

11 months later
#71 6 years ago

Believe it ... sent to the printer ... two days ago!!!

Not sure how long he will take but will be a blip compared to my months and months -

I’m excited now

1 week later
#73 6 years ago

... and ... 3 years later ... oh dear

First print on laser cut vinyl back from printer for a colour check!!

Colours look really good at first pass - may need one more go if I really want to be a perfectionist on the ‘aged white’ to match my play field

F3DE4F88-CD2A-48A8-80A8-BDEDB4CAC94B (resized).jpegF3DE4F88-CD2A-48A8-80A8-BDEDB4CAC94B (resized).jpeg

#74 6 years ago

Nope - almost a perfect color match on first try - yipppeeee!

35D99F26-7A11-442E-8297-73A05B0E2A92 (resized).jpeg35D99F26-7A11-442E-8297-73A05B0E2A92 (resized).jpeg

#75 6 years ago

Let’s slap it down!

5F3B2FC5-E0E2-4092-BC94-E8CFB0F99774 (resized).jpeg5F3B2FC5-E0E2-4092-BC94-E8CFB0F99774 (resized).jpeg

#76 6 years ago

And there it is ... errrr ... lets get another 3 year old project done

BDA1BFD7-03A5-4278-8B63-2F3CFF048C25 (resized).jpegBDA1BFD7-03A5-4278-8B63-2F3CFF048C25 (resized).jpeg

#78 6 years ago

Thanks Darcy - pretty pleased with how it turned out and I think more pleased I have one project down lol!

2 weeks later
#81 5 years ago

Thanks spinout - I’ll confirm the cost to get a few more printed and let you know

#85 5 years ago

Hi all - I will get pricing and let you know ... being a perfectionist I want to tweak a colour or two and will get more printed soon - once we know, as long as you’re ok with a fair price for decal and shipping anyone interested is welcome to them

In a couple days I’m off to Hawaii for my first real holiday in years and will update when I’m back if not sooner - cheers

#87 5 years ago

Thanks very much blacknight

#90 5 years ago

Australia is possible too - a bit more patience guys - first I need to pick some snorkeling spots but will try not to let this lag too much longer !

Next I’ll get my buccaneer spinner decal on and test my ideas for my strangeworld decal fix too ...

3 weeks later
#92 5 years ago

Hi guys - back from my holiday and trying to catch up on work - will hopefully have a price on decals next week - sorry ... I’m slooowwww ... just look at how old this thread is !

2 weeks later
#94 5 years ago

Ok guys - printer got back to me today finally - as you can imagine my ‘small run’ job isn’t much of a priority in his commercial shop

I don’t believe we have too many people on a want list but I’m looking at charging $16 US for a decal plus shipping and handling (which shouldn’t be much packed safely in an envelope - haven’t checked)

If you are still interested please send me a new message and I will see how many to print

Cheers Ron

3 weeks later
#96 5 years ago

Thanks Elvis

Order was placed - for those interested - now waiting again on the printer

2 weeks later
#97 5 years ago

Printer called - and YES - decals were ready

For those of you who requested I will check our direct messages and confirm addresses, confirm shipping and notify so we can get some enroute

Cheers Ron

56C7F9C1-4FE5-40A5-9339-C4AEFE1218FC (resized).jpeg56C7F9C1-4FE5-40A5-9339-C4AEFE1218FC (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#99 5 years ago

Hi Scott - glad you’re happy with it! I know the color match would be impossible to get perfect from machine to machine but it looks pretty good - and the camera seems to emphasize or pick up more too - in person under normal light does it look ok?

And is that plastic in front of your roto from another game? Haven’t seen a blue w stars there before? I like it!

And thanks again for all yr patience - sorry to all that my projects take (took) so long!

Cheers Ron

2 months later
#103 5 years ago

Glad you’re happy with it and glad the color match worked ok too

Looks great - good job!

1 year later
#105 4 years ago

Goldenboy - per our pm the other day - I have found my pile of remaining decals - will send you another message

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manitouguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-protector-decal-for-my-beloved-spin-out-em-purists-hide-your-eyes?tu=manitouguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.