(Topic ID: 95283)

a 'protector decal' for my beloved spin out - em purists 'hide your eyes'!

By manitouguy

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cp1610
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

94AEBB0C-35EB-4687-AC83-0D8815141516 (resized).jpeg
6E6A25EF-A47E-4FC6-9FDC-EC3EA02AB392 (resized).jpeg
F7772BCA-E210-488D-AC16-4042CE415045 (resized).jpeg
22818CC1-2470-4BB9-9AE8-75443EEF3BE8 (resized).jpeg
spinout after (resized).jpg
spinout before (resized).jpg
20180927_125104 (resized).jpg
20180925_150006 (resized).jpg
56C7F9C1-4FE5-40A5-9339-C4AEFE1218FC (resized).jpeg
BDA1BFD7-03A5-4278-8B63-2F3CFF048C25 (resized).jpeg
5F3B2FC5-E0E2-4092-BC94-E8CFB0F99774 (resized).jpeg
35D99F26-7A11-442E-8297-73A05B0E2A92 (resized).jpeg
F3DE4F88-CD2A-48A8-80A8-BDEDB4CAC94B (resized).jpeg
20141016_181827.jpg
20141016_181931.jpg
20141016_182307.jpg

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

hi all - just a post to show another 'experiment / idea' i have been noodling with for some time

my first pin was actually inherited from my father - my brother and i bought him a beautiful gottlieb spin out in the early 90s as a surprise retirement gift for a dad who did everything for us, but never anything for himself

he loved that pin and took great care of it - it eventually came back to me a couple of years ago and is still one of my favorites, for its play and graphics (i'm an old car guy ...) and of course for its sentimental value and memories too

at any rate - with my explorations into possibilities for laser cut vinyl decals ... and the enjoyment i get out of a 'design challenge' or graphics challenge i finally got around to take a run at a 'protector decal' concept

em purists hide your eyes !!!

most spin outs suffer from an ugly blemish in the undecorated blue field area under the kick out hole - although my playfield is near perfect .. my bionic eyes are always scanning for even the slightest signs of wear in that area - and i had come up with the idea / challenge to try and create a non-obtrusive, non permanent decal as a 'protector' for now so i can play away contentedly knowing my playfield was safe (i don't like or have the means to clear coat ..)

could i come up with a graphic that 'respected' the original art and 'fit right in' ...?

i think so, but will let you be the judges - the image below is simply a first 'concept' pass - not the actual drawing or completed yet with shading, no color matching or proper line weight matching etc etc - just a laser color print out of a test file i did, with the center insert cut out - tacked in place loosely over the playfield to get a sense of where it was at ...

original playfield

spin out play field.JPG

playfield with test decal in place

spin out decal a.JPG

i figured, there are 3 cars on the backglass, so lets put another car on the playfield (and detail simple like the other two but make it 'unique' as well)... since the game is called 'spin out' lets have that car having a mishap - gottlieb liked a bit of story and comedy / action didn't they ...?, and since the 4 rollover is the 'key' one to get for the magical machine gun of specials if you have the rest lighted, lets emphasize it a bit ... and lets keep the colors etc true to the rest of the playfield - so here will use black with two of the playfield colors, so as not to have the decal stick out any more than the other art

all in all i'm pretty pleased so far - and hopefully won't upset any em purists too much!?!?

let me know what you think

regards, Ron

#2 7 years ago

That's a lovely history on the machine Ron-thks for sharing.
As an 'old car guy' as well I really appreciate what you have done which provides functional improvement and aesthetic balance to the lower playfield. I think you have done it well.

#3 7 years ago

I think this looks good. Very tastefully done IMO.
Nice work.

#4 7 years ago

Well thought out and nicely executed. I'm a purist, but I have to say, it does enhance the look of the playfield.

#5 7 years ago

Mate, That's a fantastic idea. It blends in really well. Mine has a wear spot above the 5 insert, which the rear tyre would cover. If you do go ahead, let me know. I'd be real interested in buying one for my game.

#6 7 years ago

I like it!

#7 7 years ago

WOW.....very nice!

#8 7 years ago

thanks guys

nick pm me a message and i'll keep you on my radar

i suppose this could be a risky approach if one kept their machine in direct sunlight .. the fade could be different under the decal over a long period if one took it off in future ... but if not in sunlight will the playfield fade much more than it has in the past few decades .. hmmm

the center car decal should look cool when the 4 is lit too

anyhow, next hope to go in, do a better 'drawing' and some color and line weight adjustments etc

will keep you posted

regards, Ron

#9 7 years ago

Very nice looking! It looks like it could have been there all along.

#10 7 years ago

Looks great! If you decide to attach it, how will you go about doing that in a "non-permanent" way?

#11 7 years ago

Love it! Nice work Ron - that decal really fits in nicely.

#12 7 years ago

textrivers - these vinyl decals are 'non permanent' - the adhesive holds really well but simply pulls up when / if you need it to

hope to get the actual drawing done tonight and then i can assign some colors and do some fine tuning

regards, Ron

#13 7 years ago

It's hard to look at the PF without the car now, purist thoughts and all you've made it look better than original IMO.

#14 7 years ago

That's AWESOME!

#15 7 years ago

that really came out well, and fits in perfectly...

#16 7 years ago

images were just a 'test' sketch .. i am almost done drawing up the actual art file - will post it for opinions maybe tonight if i get it completed

has been another fun exercise

regards, Ron

#17 7 years ago

ok, getting close now on the drwg .. a few line weights to adjust to better match the two original cars, a bit more detail at the tie rods .. a bit plain yet .. maybe a few other tweaks after i stare at it some more

then have to decide on colors - trying to use just the pink, red and yellow in some 'believable' combination

here is a try at red driver on pink car ... looks better in person, but i think not enough contrast

trimming out a few other color options to visualize

cheers, Ron

decal b.JPG

#18 7 years ago

here is a quick 'yellow car, red driver test' .. i don't like that there would be two yellow cars ... obviously still not worrying about color match ... i'll do that once i confirm the final colors

decal d.JPG

#19 7 years ago

Is it possible to see the car in a blue similar to the blue on the sling plastics?

#20 7 years ago

hi nick, yes i will do one like that - i was talking to another pinsider on that - although there is no dk blue on the actual playfield, he also suggested trying one in the 'royal blue' ... i think i will stay with the pink car version below, as i had tried with my first 'sketch' mock up - i like the pink on playfield .. but i can make a blue one for you if you like it best - i will see if i can get that one mocked up tomorrow too

cheers, Ron

decal i.JPG

#21 7 years ago

Hi Manitouguy,

To complete your amazing Spin Out, here the scan of roto-target plastic !

Andrew

15716 ter-963.jpg

---

Wanted : Dead or Alive - In any condition
Gottlieb SPACE WALK
You find, you win : REWARD USD 500 !

#22 7 years ago

kangourou ... all these years and i didn't even notice that mine didn't have the original plastic there!!! doogh!!

thanks

i can make up a replacement - but now i will have to hunt for that plastic or find a parts machine, my right sling plastic also has a crack near the top nut too

if anyone has spares ...

cheers, Ron

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

my right sling plastic also has a crack near the top nut too
if anyone has spares ...
cheers, Ron

I have scans of complet set !

---

Wanted : Dead or Alive - In any condition
Gottlieb CHARLIE'S ANGELS EM (not SS version or Fipermatic Brazil-Manaus) & Gottlieb SPACE WALK
You find, you win : REWARD USD 500 each !

#24 7 years ago

ok, here is a blue version ... not quite the right blue but close enough to evaluate

tweaked a bit more of the drawing, added some detail at wheels, scaled a few things etc ...

the blue works better than i thought .. just having trouble with adding that color to the playfield in principal, as it wasn't screened on the original .. but maybe i should get over that as this decal is not original .. lol

opinions??

decal1a.JPG

hmm maybe i'll try a version w blue car, red driver and highlights ..

#25 7 years ago

Mate,
I think that's looks just dandy. It goes with the blue on the sling plastics, compliments the blue on the pf and the third color car fits in great. I'm definitely happy with that for my game. It improves on the pf artwork and gets rid of the k/o hole wear as a bonus.

#26 7 years ago

hi nick, i like this one with the red ...

decal2f.JPG

decal1f.JPG

i diddled around alot with the line weights and such, as i didn't want this looking like a crappy computer 'clip art' image .. i wanted to look at least a bit more 'hand done' to fit with the other car graphics ..

the red in the car is just a bit off still - too pinky, and the whites need a bit more aging / yellowing

Ron

#27 7 years ago

yellowed the whites a bit and added a bit more red to the car cockpit ... my laser printer at home cannot print the vibrant red but i'll make sure the decals are correct color there

i think we're there

1decal.JPG

3decal.JPG

#28 7 years ago

I usually hate mods but this is a vast improvement over the original playfield graphics. Plus it's removable. No harm done. I think the blue with red driver looks great!

#29 7 years ago

thanks dennis

i agree with your comments - it was hard for me to 'mod' my em, even if removable ... but in this case, wanting to protect the playfield at kick out area, and curious to see if i could pull off an acceptable design .. it was a good exercise with more 'lessons learned' and i am happy with the end result too

i look forward to getting an actual decal on there to show off the end result, should look great with the playfield lit up and all

cheers, Ron

#30 7 years ago

Mate,
They all look good to me. Come up with something you're happy with, I'm sure it will be just the job.

#31 7 years ago

kind of like playing with paper dolls ... yikes!

Nick - i think i will print a few decals with the blue car and red cockpit (one on left side)

you ok with that ??

cheers, Ron

colors.JPG

#32 7 years ago

Absolutely amazing buddy, just love it. Your artistic ability is through the roof. The blue is totally meant to be.

#33 7 years ago

As I said mate, I'll trust your judgement. I wouldn't have a clue where to start. I'm just real grateful that you have the talent and are willing to share it.

#34 7 years ago

Looks great - blue is winner for me.

SO is another of those under the radar games that is a lot of fun to play and looks real nice in person.

#35 7 years ago

thanks Shapeshifter - i am sure i will change a few details yet as i stare at it some more .. but do think i will leave it as the blue car w red interior

and yes - for me spin out can hold its own against many of the other wedge heads - i really like the play and chasing the roto target numbers

and all lit up at night, its colors really do work somehow - a very pretty machine

#36 7 years ago

Manitouguy :

You are the NEW Gordon Morison !

#37 7 years ago

awesome work, very impressed.

I personally like the slightly blue version but curious if the exhaust was a different colour to the driver or if the driver matched the cars pin stripping like the existing 2 cars.

Great work though, looks like it should of always been there.

#38 7 years ago

i vote blue... that looks like it should have been there in the first place...

#39 7 years ago

thanks again guys

kangourou - with all due respect we will leave G M in his own league far far above .. i just copied his car lol

swinks - during the silk screening process the playfield would have had 'six'? color passes seperately (did i count that right) - base white, the pink, red, yellow, lt blue in some order and then the black letters and lines - each of the other cars is a simple 'two color' combo with a bit of the base white and some black being used as well - i was trying to stay faithful to that with the 'new' car also only having a two color set up - just like the two other cars were unique i also tried to use a combination of colors that didn't match those - and the tricky part, at least for me was using just enough white and black and balance of those two colors and pull it all together so it appears 'correct' for the playfield and existing art - so blue car but yes with red driver and tailpipes and a bit of other detailing ... hmmm not sure if that actually answered your question !?!? or are you asking if a version was tried with the tail pipes as same as body color .. i felt that wouldn't make for as 'dynamic' a color balance - and driver matching 'pinstriping' .. at one point i did have a bit of 'detailing' on the blue car, at front end in red (those triangular thingies), and also have a version with a smaller red 'gottlieb g' too ..

also challenging for me was to remember that the intent was not necessarily to draw anything real .. look at those wheel struts ...!!! but to keep in the 'spirit' of it all as a whole, color blend, line weight and 'fun factor'

cheers, Ron

#40 7 years ago

Nice detail! Takes it to a new level without destroying the original Oem design if you want to remove it later down the road,cant go wrong with that.

#41 7 years ago

roger that pin-it !

thanks

#42 7 years ago

I played a nice Spin Out less than 24 hours ago. Your decal looks so good that I can't believe it's not original factory art, even with the game fresh in my mind.

FWIW, I think the pink car with a yellow driver looks best, since it uses the existing playfield colors and is the inverse of the yellow car with a pink driver. But you can't go wrong with any of those.

#43 7 years ago

I had a chance to buy a Spin Out locally for $600.00 that was in great condition but moving out of state in a couple months does not permit buying any more machines for now. At least I don't have to sell an more before the move.

Spin Out looks like a fun and challenging game to play and the artwork is very good as well.

Ken

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i vote blue... that looks like it should have been there in the first place...

I'm with blue too. It looks great!

#45 7 years ago

can you tell i get a bit ocd on 'variants' and options ... yikes

here is another way i am trying to pare down to a couple ... i do like the blue but keep coming back to a possible pink one as well

i'll likely print a few for options ... i also was toying with adding the 'gottlieb g' on this car like the other two had as well

from this set of 'twenty' i can quickly get it down to a smaller number and hopefully down to a couple from there

i like exploring 'all' the options clearly - and the mathematical combos aren't helping LOL

spin-out-color-options.jpg

#46 7 years ago

wow looks great and great work adding the G - liking 5,6,13 &14

#47 7 years ago

#48 7 years ago

Good job, Ron.

I like the #6 version.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

can you tell i get a bit ocd on 'variants' and options ... yikes
here is another way i am trying to pare down to a couple ... i do like the blue but keep coming back to a possible pink one as well
i'll likely print a few for options ... i also was toying with adding the 'gottlieb g' on this car like the other two had as well
from this set of 'twenty' i can quickly get it down to a smaller number and hopefully down to a couple from there
i like exploring 'all' the options clearly - and the mathematical combos aren't helping LOL

spin-out-color-options.jpg 238 KB

geez, this is like looking at a menu in a diner and deciding what to eat...

blue with a gtb "g" works for me...

edit: i wish i had the skills to do this...

#50 7 years ago

6.5 (#6 with a yellow "G")

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside