6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by heckheck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Chato.jpg
    Josie2.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    Josie.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmanguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 6 years ago

Personally i think the only issue with what happened with the metallica LE was that the system and market have changed and new practices need to be implemented by distributors. It sucks for the people that missed out but a LE is meant to be LIMITED.
    I can state right now that i myself will NEVER buy a limited edition as I don't get into that whole collectible side of it I just want to play and a premium will do that with the same features.
    In the past the limited really just meant you were paying more as the demand wasn't high enough to make it actually limited but now it means something like it does in other hobbies.
    If something is limited by definition people should want it but not everyone should be able to get it. That's the whole point of making something limited and ensuring in 10 years time it's sought after still. Yeah it sucks when we're talking about pinball machines that may have better art work, but that's the point of it.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

You mean like not hoarding and flipping? Not sure how that gets implemented unless they cut out ALL of the little guys and go to just a few distributors they know they can control.

So if you're never going to get one, you don't get the art argument, and you only want a premium, why do you care so much that the LE be so strictly limited?

This makes no sense to me. Why should the point of it be so that people can't get the pin they want, with the "best of concept" art package today from the seller who can meet the demand? Is there some law of nature or rule of hobbies that says a company like Stern serving a hobbyist market must turn out many more copies of the model with mediocre art work, because that is "just how it should be", and deny paying customers lined up at preorder time with cash in hand? This is imposed scarcity, not anything to do with actual cost to create the product (as in a high end luxury vehicle, or hand made piece of art). It's completely artificial.
    Over manipulating their market may undo more sales than it creates for Stern. Some people who miss out on an LE that they really thought they wanted say they will just "live with the premium". Some others will be royally pissed and never want to buy another NIB Stern again, instead finding it just as easy to buy something else (and there is lots of competition coming for those hobby dollars, not just JJP, but all the boutique manufacturers, plus all the old stock of pins out there).

I get the artwork argument, and personally I think an LE shouldn't have completely different artwork to a premium but should be distinguished in other ways like the plaque, different trim, power coated, maybe upgraded speakers and the like. My point though is that the problem arose out of distributors thinking they were guaranteed more than they took orders for, not pointing blame anywhere as I don't know how the misunderstandings happened but in the future if everyone is clear on how much stock they are getting we shouldn't have people who thought they had orders missing out.
    Yeah limited edition things are a seller created collectible item which I find to be stupid, but the point of them is still that they are being made to be rare and made so that people miss out on them and that's what people are paying for.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 16.00
    $ 89.99
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 263.55
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmanguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside