Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by heckheck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Chato.jpg
    Josie2.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    Josie.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 10 years ago

As long as the premiums offer the same features as the LEs, I don't mind that the LEs are, well, limited. You can get the same game with the premium model at a lower cost. Sure, it's lacking a plaque, but you don't play the plaque.

If they ever start leaving any features out of the premium models that the LEs have, then it's time to really complain.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I guess I'm driving this from the recent MOPLE/METLE experience. In this case it was more than the plaque. It was the cabinet art/backglass/trim that made a decent esthetic difference. The same could be said of BIBLE. Unfortunately, if you want those you’re paying 9-10k for them now or you have to pre-pre-order moving forward. If would be nice to have the option to pay MSRP vs markup for those. But again, I'm coming from a standpoint of a player/collector vs investor. I know there is a growing investor base in this hobby that will wholefully disagree with me. I'm not a big fan of gambling, I just want to have my choice, and that chance to make a sound decision, without getting raped.

I understand that, but I think LEs simply have to be limited to serve their purpose. It does suck that not everybody who wants in can get in, I agree. But I guess that's nature of the beast when LEs are part of the hobby you love.

What I'm more irritated by is people who buy LEs simply to sit on them. Today's Mr. Pinball listings had someone dropping their stashed LEs at prices over $10,000. Can't they just go play the stock market instead?

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Have to disagree from a marketing point. If they both have the same things then why not just call it a pinball machine and go on. A "LE" stands for what? Limited Edition" It does not matter what you sell. This is not a idea, that is "new" and that Stern came up with. "LE" have been done in automobiles for years and years and many other products. You pay more for the special leather/carpet or so on and so on. Oh and the sales of that vehicle, will hold its value a little better. I disagree that every dealer if out to scams the customer. Maybe the vendor you deal with is that was but that's where your not doing your home work. Yes, there are flippers that try that very thing. Hey, buy concert tickets and you'll get the concept real quick. This problem will always be here as it is with every product that is "LE".

The Premium models are the "leather packages" of pinball. The LEs are more akin to a "collector's edition," which are very common in hobbyist industries. Collector's Editions usually aren't more functional or anything, they just have more visual flair or other cosmetic features that are unique to that edition.

Stern's Premium models are fully featured, but they aren't limited in any way. Their LEs are also fully featured, but they're geared 100% for people who care about exclusivity. It's for a different type of buyer.

From a marketing standpoint, they're actually doing very well.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I agree but why kill off the "LE's"?

I don't think that they should. I think the actual issue is that we're not understanding the concept as a buying audience. Maybe they should rename LE to CE (collector's edition). Make sure people understand that the Premium is the same in regards to features as the CE, but the CE tag is purely a measure of status on top of the feature set.

And I get it when people get bummed out that the LE has a different art package that is unavailable on the Premiums, but at least the play (the most important aspect of a pinball machine) is 100% intact.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-possible-le-solution?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.