(Topic ID: 19212)

A possible DE SW rescue mission... any ideas?

By blondetall

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pred_Jung_02.gif
DESW.jpg
star-trek-002.gif
#1 11 years ago

So I just got my first pinball, and of course the fever is taking over. I don't have money to go towards another one just yet, but heard about a pin in the wild just one city over, and found it yesterday. It is a DE Star Wars, which was one of the ones on my wish list, but the poor thing has been regulated to a corner of the front window in a laundromat on the wrong side of town. The play field is literally black, R2's head didn't look straight, the cabinet is scratched to hell, and most of the lights appeared to be out. This is my first time seeing one, and it made me sad.

I thought about trying to find the owner and see if they are willing to sell, just to get it out of there so it had a chance of eventually being restored. I just thought I'd ask opinions on this before I even went down that path, since I have no clue who owns is (there are no routes or pins in this area at all.) Is this particular pin hard to find parts for? Any idea on reasonable asking price for a good working player version these days? My husband has literally 4 days of experience at this point working on pinball machines (he's been trying to figure out the ins/outs of my JP so he can fix it if needed) but is very mechanically/electronically capable, so it would be a rescue mission with a very long term goal.

I am going to try to get back to it today after work for pictures and to put in a couple of quarters to see what it even does.

#2 11 years ago

It's really all based on condition and yes any pin can be brought back to life but it all depends on what needs to be done and how much time/money will be invested in it.In this hobby Pins are always worth checking out and seeing what you can score or finding/making a great deal.

Star wars is a great game,I think its the best Data east game out there.

#3 11 years ago

Definitely fire it up and see how it plays. The dirty playfield isn't too big of a concern as long as you can't see any obvious wear/damage. Make sure the death star and R2's head rotate when you start the game up, as if not you *may* have to replace the motors, but I am pretty sure those are available. The cabinet scratches, if they are really bad, would be the most problematic in my opinion as I don't believe you can get cabinet decals for it.

I really don't know how much a DE SW in decent condition goes for these days, hopefully someone else on here has been shopping around for one recently.

#4 11 years ago

In my experience games like that are usually owned by an operator who has them all over town, and yes he will sell the game to you, but it will be for a large amount.

Good luck though! It certainly sounds like that game needs some love and it is always great to see one restored.

#5 11 years ago

I bought my DE SW as a re-import project. It wasn’t as bad as the one you just describe but I found it easy to find parts for. The biggest expense, for me, was buying new plastics. Mine cleaned up nicely and is the most popular pin in my household.

#6 11 years ago

Data East Star Wars is about $1800 to $2000 in good working condition. It is the best of the Star Wars themed pinball machines.

I suspect it's popularity is soon to increase.

#7 11 years ago

Yeah, just make sure it's just dirt, not worn down to the wood. Check for broken plastics. Play a few games and see what it does. It can't hurt!

star-trek-002.gifstar-trek-002.gif

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I suspect it's popularity is soon to increase.

To the OP, Chad is working to improve the code on this already fun game. Many of us are eagerly awaiting his new code. There is speculation that this code may increase the value of our DE SW machines. I hope so!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

To the OP, Chad is working to improve the code on this already fun game. Many of us are eagerly awaiting his new code. There is speculation that this code may increase the value of our DE SW machines. I hope so!

Yes, I bet it will increase if the roms do come out.

#10 11 years ago

So... found the owner today. It is the owner of the laundromat, and from what little English he knew and the 2 employees translating, he said a definite no on selling it. He likes it because it is in "original condition" which to me means that he has never done anything with it. When we were there on Monday it was at least plugged in and attempting to light up, but I didn't have time to put quarters in. Today it was unplugged and looking even more sad. I got one very bad pic of it (it is in a window and direct sun + fluorescent lights overhead = bad pic) but maybe you can see how black it is inside.

Poor little Star Wars. I tried.

DESW.jpgDESW.jpg

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

He likes it because it is in "original condition" which to me means that he has never done anything with it

He likes it like that!! What a fool!! he is at least clean it Damn!

Quoted from blondetall:

Poor little Star Wars. I tried.

Yes Blonde, That is very heartbreaking to see that

#12 11 years ago

I think we need an Intervention!

Pred_Jung_02.gifPred_Jung_02.gif

#13 11 years ago

That shows you he has been watching TV and thinks cleaning it could hurt the value. It is not a Civil War relic! Maybe you can keep on him but sounds like he will not change. Would. Of hurt to take 10 or 15 $100 bills in and wave them around. Maybe a stack of $20's with $100 on the outside.

I would not do that in the open if the area is that bad though. Maybe offer to at least change a few bulbs.

#14 11 years ago

If I knew what I was doing I'd probably pursue it more, but I'm a newbie and just got my first machine 2 weeks ago, and honestly wouldn't know where to start on one that dirty. I'll keep an eye on it though, and see if I can't change his mind eventually.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

If I knew what I was doing I'd probably pursue it more, but I'm a newbie and just got my first machine 2 weeks ago, and honestly wouldn't know where to start on one that dirty. I'll keep an eye on it though, and see if I can't change his mind eventually.

Hopefully someone will save that Star Wars and make her shine.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Maybe a stack of $20's with $100 on the outside.

Haha!! Good one!

#17 11 years ago

DE made a ton of them so you'll find another, and likely in nicer condition. I had one for a couple months but it didn't stick for me, even though I like the theme.

#18 11 years ago

Btw I just joined the 10k club. I am the semi-Gweem

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

DE made a ton of them so you'll find another, and likely in nicer condition. I had one for a couple months but it didn't stick for me, even though I like the theme.

Yeah they did but it's a shame to see one in that condition and hopefully will be rescued and cleaned up.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Btw I just joined the 10k club. I am the semi-Gweem

I added one more point for ya! Haha!

#21 11 years ago

I have a DE SW that is NOT for sale. But I am curious what it is worth in excellent condition, professionally shopped and with a NOS topper. Any ball park ideas? Again, I am keeping it. There's a spot cleared out next to it for my WOZ ECLE.

EDIT:It has a Cointaker LED kit, Cliffy protectors and a Pinball Pro subwoofer and back box speaker kit.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

But I am curious what it is worth in excellent condition, professionally shopped and with a NOS topper

If it is in excellent shape i would say 2500-2800 range..This is just a guess and I have seen really nice ones go for around 2600.

#23 11 years ago

Thanks Mike, that is encouraging.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-possible-de-sw-rescue-mission-any-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.