Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When is the optimal time to reset the High Score to Date list?”

• Never (except when needed -- repairs, software updates, etc.) 31 votes
      47%
    • Whenever the venue wants is fine with me (aka, I don't care) 9 votes
      14%
    • Every month or two 1 vote
      2%
    • Every month or two, but always keep the Grand Champion Score 13 votes
      20%
    • Every year 3 votes
      5%
    • Every year, but always keep the Grand Champion Score 9 votes
      14%

(66 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 9 years ago

Really briefly, I'm wondering if people who play on location have any opinions on the resetting of the HSTD list on location games.

My local venue, which continues to be awesome, has apparently just wiped a whole bunch of high scores off of most of their machines. I haven't asked them about it, but I assume it was intentional so new players aren't put off by seemingly unachievable scores and actually have a chance to get their initials up. This place opened up just about a month ago, so maybe they plan on doing this once/month.

Please reply to the poll or comment below.

#2 9 years ago

I enjoy the challenge of beating high scores so when the scores are wiped completely it is disappointing. I can understand the need to reset them with software updates or repairs, but just to keep the scores more attainable seems ehh.

#3 9 years ago

I wish that would happen around here every once in a while, there are some really fantastic players in this area but that means the high scores are astronomical. Its rare that I walk up to a game and don't see NES or TJB as the top scores. I don't really mind it but they are so out of my league I stand very little chance at getting my initials up.

#4 9 years ago

What's the point in even having a HSTD list if they are reset monthly?
    Weak weak weak

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

What's the point in even having a HSTD list if they are reset monthly?
    Weak weak weak

To give other players a chance?

#6 9 years ago

Reset when needed due to maintainence, software updates, or when you change another setting or something physical with the game.

If I move an outlane to try and even out too many drains on one side then I have changed the character of the game and the HSTD gets reset.

If a HSTD sits stagnant for too long then I am likely to also make some changes to the game and then reset.

Scores shoudl not be just reset for the heck of it on a whim IMHO

#7 9 years ago

Shit happens - code gets updated, batteries get changed....

All things being equal, I don't think GC scores should be intentionally wiped out. Regular scores, why not? I don't see anything wrong with resetting those from time to time.

#8 9 years ago

Interesting results and discussion so far.

By the way, I only noticed last night when I got ~60 mil on Metallica and got to enter my initials. No surprise that it felt good to get my name up, but the second I realized what had happened I changed my mind. I have the GC (not yet reset) and I had 3 solid scores that are now gone.

The effect for me is that I'm less motivated to try to put up a decent score on a game if I don't think I can get the GC, because I know any score I get on the board won't be around for long.

#9 9 years ago

Did you ask the OP if there was a reason?

Maybe they changed all the batteries?

If no reason, then express your reason for not liking it. The more feedback we get at our location, the better. We try to accomodate the voice of the player (when possible and reasonable).

At our location, some have asked us to actually reset the high scores because for example on ST pro, they have not been touched for a while.

#10 9 years ago

I know the Op and his tech. Although I didn't ask him, we know it wasn't a battery change because most or all of the GCs are still there. It had to be intentional, and I don't think having a conversation about it will do much other than show exactly why we disagree on the matter.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I know the Op and his tech. Although I didn't ask him, we know it wasn't a battery change because most or all of the GCs are still there. It had to be intentional, and I don't think having a conversation about it will do much other than show exactly why we disagree on the matter.

I guess in that case, then just be thankful the games are playing well enough that you have something fun to play. I wish we had more games on location in my town

Concern over a reset of HSTD is much further down my list of complaints about operators than pretty much everything else. (Things like misalligned flippers, unlevel games, displays out, etc... are the things that agravate me).

#12 9 years ago

If you put your name up, or have a personal best, take a picture. I do this, otherwise I'd forget where my personal benchmark is on my local machines.

#13 9 years ago

GC should stay, I don't care much about the others. Some of the local machines seem to reset weekly (based on number of plays), others have never reset since they have been there. I don't want to see them reset but I don't mind if they do as long as the GC stays put.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

If you put your name up, or have a personal best, take a picture. I do this, otherwise I'd forget where my personal benchmark is on my local machines.

^this, then post it up here, so you'll always have it.

#15 9 years ago

don't reset manually, just let the s/w do it every 3000 or whatever games.

#16 9 years ago

I think it is important to whipe the score once a month, but keep the grand champion.
    If the venue does that it encourages both noobs and other to try to go for a high score.
    I know in the beginning, I was very put off by seeing the insane pinball scores on the games at my local
    Barcade.

Another good thing would be to make it a competition.
    The 1st place on each game gets a price each month.

Axl

#17 9 years ago

GC should stay, wipe the other scores periodically. Use the factory default for score resets or decide a # of games that seems reasonable for you. It fosters competition, it levels things out for new and lesser skilled players, and it brings in more money for the operator.

For the most part I leave my games at the factory setting for resetting the high scores. There are a few games where the number seems really low or really high, so I tweak it to get come consistency between the games.

#18 9 years ago

Edit: Answered my own question

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Really briefly, I'm wondering if people who play on location have any opinions on the resetting of the HSTD list on location games.

As a regular location player and an operator, yes I do. For high score resets, I leave my games on default. For Stern's, that means high scores, but not GC, get reset every 2k plays. WPC games are about the same. It defaults to 2k plays because that's just about the right number. Score 1-4 stay up for a few months, then reset. GC scores never get reset. The only exception is for a software update or a major malfunction that enables stupid high scores. If you see a WOF on location with high scores over 1B, it either has a bad opto board or it had one earlier. Not a legit score. Minor adjustments or stagnant scores are not a good reason to reset scores IMO. By leaving my games on default, any time I get a reset complaint from a customer, I can 'blame' the game. Sorry dude, every 2k plays.

Quoted from practicalsteve:

I wish that would happen around here every once in a while, there are some really fantastic players in this area but that means the high scores are astronomical. Its rare that I walk up to a game and don't see NES or TJB as the top scores. I don't really mind it but they are so out of my league I stand very little chance at getting my initials up.

I feel your pain. NES and TJ play on location regularly. Both are nice guys. If you see either of them out there, ask them if they want to play doubles. Then watch and learn. I've learned more from playing with NES than I have playing in league, reading rulesheets, watching videos or playing with any other player. When you watch guys that good play, you can't help but learn. No questions needed. Literally watch and learn. Because both guys are in the east bay, the farther away you get from the east bay, the better your chances of getting your initials up. I got two GC scores just this week down here in the south bay. Jackbot at Silver Creek sportsplex and ST at Pizza Factory. A pinsider is helping keep the ST clean and updated. Thanks again Andre!

Quoted from stevevt:

Interesting results and discussion so far.
    By the way, I only noticed last night when I got ~60 mil on Metallica and got to enter my initials. No surprise that it felt good to get my name up, but the second I realized what had happened I changed my mind. I have the GC (not yet reset) and I had 3 solid scores that are now gone.
    The effect for me is that I'm less motivated to try to put up a decent score on a game if I don't think I can get the GC, because I know any score I get on the board won't be around for long.

GC score is the only thing that counts. After watching others do it, I now enter bogus initials for anything less than GC. Usually someone known in the player community as a weaker player. For comedic affect. If you see a high score from Vic, it probably wasn't Vic. (I'm not the only one that uses Vic)

If a location regularly reset high scores but not GC, I'd be fine with that. Just don't touch GC.

#20 9 years ago

I like to put up KME, AJK, NES, etc. on our local machines as an homage. Some of our location games are set for 10 letters instead of 3. I once got the GC score on Mustang and put up "GRAND CHAMP" just to mess with the guys. But usually when I get my initials up and it's set on 10 letters I put up "PAPA CHAMP", just to remind me of my ultimate goal.

Back on topic, every 2K is fine. It keeps it interesting.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I like to put up KME, AJK, NES, etc. on our local machines as an homage.

Hopefully no locals know the initials and avoid playing games with scores they can't hope to beat.

I've heard players on my games see PEM ( Paul Madison ) and avoid the game because they think it's his high score and not a default lower one.

I have asked manufacturers to not include friends initials for factory default high scores, but they don't care.

LTG : )™

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

My local venue, which continues to be awesome, has apparently just wiped a whole bunch of high scores off of most of their machines. I haven't asked them about it, but I assume it was intentional so new players aren't put off by seemingly unachievable scores and actually have a chance to get their initials up. This place opened up just about a month ago, so maybe they plan on doing this once/month.
    Please reply to the poll or comment below.

I don't like seeing them ever reset. That said, it does suck if someone gets a high score on a major game malfunction allowing them to get a high score that is basically not achievable, or by banging back. My 7.5 billion on WOF comes to mind there. It sucks to have scores like that as a realistic 3 ball goal when they are not in reality.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Hopefully no locals know the initials and avoid playing games with scores they can't hope to beat.
    I've heard players on my games see PEM ( Paul Madison ) and avoid the game because they think it's his high score and not a default lower one.
    I have asked manufacturers to not include friends initials for factory default high scores, but they don't care.

Superhero Champion 150,000,000 on Spiderman - PEM

#24 9 years ago

Tonight I used a different stragedy. I got high score #1 on the ST mentioned above, so I put in a friends initials who I know hasn't been to that location yet, but will be soon. The first thing he'll do when he gets there is check the high scores. Because of the order it goes in, he'll see his initials at high score #1 (wtf????).... then he'll see my initials for GC and smile. Easy money. d

I set my location games to 10 characters (but still only use 1).

#25 9 years ago

On location I keep playing a game if I think I can set a score.. Most times the scores are impossibly high on some machines.. They should be reset maybee every six months... Grand champion can stay tho

#26 9 years ago

Spiderman comes to mind Lloyd . . .

Quoted from LTG:

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I ask them to put mine on, they don't care.

#28 9 years ago

Its good to reset every time you move a pin to a new location, make repairs to features that could have been abused or update the code.

I just let the software roll over non-GC scores every 1000 or 2000 plays beyond that.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I ask them to put mine on, they don't care.

I am going to start including DNO in my list of initials to put up. One of the only places I will put my actual initials up is at PAPA, mainly because it's just so hard to do!

#30 9 years ago

If you have an older game where it's easy to roll over the score (like my Swords of Fury), it might be worth having it reset the scores quicker, especially if the high scoreboard gets filled with 9,999,999s.

On my Swords of Fury in my basement, I have it reset every 250 games (which is the smallest option available) and I usually fill it multiple times over before it resets.

#31 9 years ago

I like it when a new machine arrives and the high score is seemingly out of reach. It almost never lasts more than a week or two, however.

I like having the high score on a machine, but in the end, it's their place, their machines; so I'm cool with them doing as they see fit.

#32 9 years ago

I think that the Grand Champ is the only one that should stay forever. That is what everyone is trying to achieve. For me, it's rewarding to get on the list, but it's just a cheap thrill IMO if it's not the GC.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-poll-about-location-high-scores and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.