layer 7 clear final 004 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 011 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 003 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 002 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 001 (resized).jpg
level 6 clear 006 (resized).jpg
level 6 clear 005 (resized).jpg
level 6 clear 004 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Whenever I see the HEP playfields with that weird not-brown colour in the shooter lane I die a little inside.

I am not sure if you are confusing me with someone else or not.In any event since you listed me specifically I am well versed in saving or enhancing natural wood without compromising it but not everything sent is salvageable .

Feel free to look through a gallery of playfield restorations instead of a basic thread on just one to understand what is salvageable what isn't as well as the thought process behind it.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/playfield-only-restorations

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

maybe he's talking about those shooter lanes that have that super dark brown layer to them. I have had fields like that, that are natural super dark brown in the middle layer. Stands out like a sore thumb.

Well he can look for those in the gallery they are certainly in there.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but maybe he thought you painted them and didn't realize that's the way they are naturally?
what is that dark layer? Walnut?

I am not sure but some playfields have much darker layers and transitions between plys than others.
Some have ugly knots in the shooter lanes that are complete eye sores. Others have milder changes from ply to ply.
Point being that there is no straight formula for this work it is all case by case. You look at a playfield. Find the potential in it and make the most of it for what that particular one is.

If you take in 600 playfields over the years and 50 need the most extreme repaints even down to the wood it does not mean it is a standard or preference it just makes it an option or need at times.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm talking about this: http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album688/IMG_3751
I followed the thread on that game and when you painted not only the shooter lane that weird brown colour but also all around the flippers I was sad, because it 100% looks painted because there's zero wood grain anywhere in there.

You probably just need to look closer at it,It is not full paint it is a candied transparent base coat.There is nothing weird about it as it is a very convincing match to the true wood and can be used to barely or heavily cover depending on the issues at hand..
The grain is still there it is just more muted due to the need to fill the vertical cracking.That is the challenge there.Covering well enough to hide the cracking but not so well that the grain disappears.The owner makes the call if they prefer ground in dirt or muted wood tones.9 out of
10 times they prefer muted wood tones to cleared over dirt from my experience.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-four-million-bc-restore/page/6

The process is covered start to finish in there too so it isn't a secret where it started out.A 47 year old play field comes with some challenges .

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm talking about this: http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album688/IMG_3751
I followed the thread on that game and when you painted not only the shooter lane that weird brown colour but also all around the flippers I was sad, because it 100% looks painted because there's zero wood grain anywhere in there.

Same. playfield different lighting.
See the grain?

7c3a9f181b194e1bce1bd380736daeb1f968f2fc (resized).jpg7c3a9f181b194e1bce1bd380736daeb1f968f2fc (resized).jpg

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - unfair to judge based on photos, my apologies. If I ever see one in person I'll make a judgement then.

I appreciate that . I know in some paint shop pictures in particular that wood tone rework can look very bland and flat . It is just the lighting of a dingy messy paint room . You have to have somewhere to make a big mess doing this and that is it but it doesn't show as well in there.
That has a lot to do with why I try to catch these games and playfields in a variety of lighting during the process.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-playfield-restoration-step-by-step-walk-through?tu=High_End_Pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.