layer 7 clear final 004 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 011 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 003 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 002 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 001 (resized).jpg
level 6 clear 006 (resized).jpg
level 6 clear 005 (resized).jpg
level 6 clear 004 (resized).jpg
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago

Thanks for clarifying.
And yes, we're totally on the same page regarding the looks of painted wood

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I try to keep as much natural wood as I can, as painted wood looks painted, no matter how good you are at it.

Whenever I see the HEP playfields with that weird not-brown colour in the shooter lane I die a little inside.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Whenever I see the HEP playfields with that weird not-brown colour in the shooter lane I die a little inside.

I agree. I'd rather have a little deep ground in dirt but be natural than painted. If someone wants that stuff painted and they let me know, i'm happy to do it the way they want. But I default to saving as much natural wood as possible.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I am not sure if you are confusing me with someone else or not.In any event since you listed me specifically I am well versed in saving or enhancing natural wood without compromising it but not everything sent is salvageable .

Feel free to look through a gallery of playfield restorations instead of a basic thread on just one to understand what is salvageable what isn't as well as the thought process behind it.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/playfield-only-restorations

#55 6 years ago

maybe he's talking about those shooter lanes that have that super dark brown layer to them. I have had fields like that, that are natural super dark brown in the middle layer. Stands out like a sore thumb.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

maybe he's talking about those shooter lanes that have that super dark brown layer to them. I have had fields like that, that are natural super dark brown in the middle layer. Stands out like a sore thumb.

Well he can look for those in the gallery they are certainly in there.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Well he can look for those in the gallery they are certainly in there.

but maybe he thought you painted them and didn't realize that's the way they are naturally?

what is that dark layer? Walnut?

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but maybe he thought you painted them and didn't realize that's the way they are naturally?
what is that dark layer? Walnut?

I am not sure but some playfields have much darker layers and transitions between plys than others.
Some have ugly knots in the shooter lanes that are complete eye sores. Others have milder changes from ply to ply.
Point being that there is no straight formula for this work it is all case by case. You look at a playfield. Find the potential in it and make the most of it for what that particular one is.

If you take in 600 playfields over the years and 50 need the most extreme repaints even down to the wood it does not mean it is a standard or preference it just makes it an option or need at times.

#59 6 years ago

Neo- what do you do to minimize paint brush strokes in your touchups? do you use a thinner to help it lay down? other techniques?

#60 6 years ago

I am not sure but some playfields have much darker layers and transitions between plys than others.
Some have ugly knots in the shooter lanes that are complete eye sores. Others have milder changes from ply to ply.
Point being that there is no straight formula for this work it is all case by case. You look at a playfield. Find the potential in it and make the most of it for what that particular one is.
If you take in 600 playfields over the years and 50 need the most extreme repaints even down to the wood it does not mean it is a standard or preference it just makes it an option or need at times.

Yup. Sometimes it's your only option.

For keeping brush strokes down, I use a very fine brush with very fine bristles, and keep feathering the paint over and over again so it smooths out.

#61 6 years ago

Feel free to look through a gallery of playfield restorations instead of a basic thread on just one to understand what is salvageable what isn't as well as the thought process behind it.

I'm talking about this: http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album688/IMG_3751

I followed the thread on that game and when you painted not only the shooter lane that weird brown colour but also all around the flippers I was sad, because it 100% looks painted because there's zero wood grain anywhere in there.

#62 6 years ago

But what did it look like before? He might have had to. Or the customer requested it. Sometimes that happens.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm talking about this: http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album688/IMG_3751
I followed the thread on that game and when you painted not only the shooter lane that weird brown colour but also all around the flippers I was sad, because it 100% looks painted because there's zero wood grain anywhere in there.

You probably just need to look closer at it,It is not full paint it is a candied transparent base coat.There is nothing weird about it as it is a very convincing match to the true wood and can be used to barely or heavily cover depending on the issues at hand..
The grain is still there it is just more muted due to the need to fill the vertical cracking.That is the challenge there.Covering well enough to hide the cracking but not so well that the grain disappears.The owner makes the call if they prefer ground in dirt or muted wood tones.9 out of
10 times they prefer muted wood tones to cleared over dirt from my experience.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-four-million-bc-restore/page/6

The process is covered start to finish in there too so it isn't a secret where it started out.A 47 year old play field comes with some challenges .

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Same. playfield different lighting.
See the grain?

7c3a9f181b194e1bce1bd380736daeb1f968f2fc (resized).jpg7c3a9f181b194e1bce1bd380736daeb1f968f2fc (resized).jpg

#65 6 years ago

Good luck catching Chris doing something that's not been thoroughly thought out, executed and in the end optimal.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yup. Sometimes it's your only option.
For keeping brush strokes down, I use a very fine brush with very fine bristles, and keep feathering the paint over and over again so it smooths out.

If you are feathering out that much do you usually do multiple coats?

#67 6 years ago

depends on the color it is. Yellows, gray, white, reds ...yes I do multiple. Fluorescents I usually have to do 5 or 6 coats.

#68 6 years ago

Same. playfield different lighting.
See the grain?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - unfair to judge based on photos, my apologies. If I ever see one in person I'll make a judgement then.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - unfair to judge based on photos, my apologies. If I ever see one in person I'll make a judgement then.

I appreciate that . I know in some paint shop pictures in particular that wood tone rework can look very bland and flat . It is just the lighting of a dingy messy paint room . You have to have somewhere to make a big mess doing this and that is it but it doesn't show as well in there.
That has a lot to do with why I try to catch these games and playfields in a variety of lighting during the process.

#70 6 years ago

More touchups done, more evening out. More backlighting getting the black peek through. Trying to blend wood painting areas. Lots of little areas with hairline cracks in the black and various other areas. Finding them after scuffing is a very difficult job. Giving the saucer multi levels to make it look more like layers. Still working on blending the colors together better.

Time: 4 hr 20 min

fine tuning touchups 004 (resized).jpgfine tuning touchups 004 (resized).jpg
fine tuning touchups 001 (resized).jpgfine tuning touchups 001 (resized).jpg
fine tuning touchups 002 (resized).jpgfine tuning touchups 002 (resized).jpg
fine tuning touchups 003 (resized).jpgfine tuning touchups 003 (resized).jpg

#71 6 years ago

Looking great.

#72 6 years ago

Did some more saucer touchup with various other touchups here and there.

Time: 45 min

Clearcoat layer 4 Playfield is leveling out better and better with each layer, with block sanding between layers.

Time: 40 min

clear level 4 007 (resized).jpgclear level 4 007 (resized).jpg

clear level 4 002 (resized).jpgclear level 4 002 (resized).jpg

clear level 4 001 (resized).jpgclear level 4 001 (resized).jpg

clear level 4 003 (resized).jpgclear level 4 003 (resized).jpg

clear level 4 005 (resized).jpgclear level 4 005 (resized).jpg

clear level 4 004 (resized).jpgclear level 4 004 (resized).jpg

clear level 4 006 (resized).jpgclear level 4 006 (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago

CaptainNeo... you're block sanding in between CC's.

Are you using a semi course (300-400 maybe) or light (600-800 maybe) grit? And are you wet sanding?

#75 6 years ago

Wow nice work NEO....very impressive!

#76 6 years ago

I love this thread. Really highlights the amount of work and skill that goes into a playfield restoration.

#77 6 years ago

More touchups here and there. double up on layers of yellow and orange. Try to fix the off center inserts that are printed in the bat area. Normally I have room to work, but the way the black art blends into the lines. I don't have a lot of wiggle room to fix the offset circles. Did lessen the thickness of the rings slightly. fixed some of the blue and blended that better.

Sanding and prep with touchups after layer 4
Time: 1hr 15m

All the circle addressing and other touchups
Time: 4hr 10m

Layer 5 clearcoat
Time: 40m

clear layer 5 005 (resized).jpgclear layer 5 005 (resized).jpg

clear layer 5 003 (resized).jpgclear layer 5 003 (resized).jpg

clear layer 5 001 (resized).jpgclear layer 5 001 (resized).jpg

clear layer 5 004 (resized).jpgclear layer 5 004 (resized).jpg

clear layer 5 002 (resized).jpgclear layer 5 002 (resized).jpg

#78 6 years ago

Dam that is looking Great! That will be one lucky machine or owner. Nice work, thanks for sharing.

#79 6 years ago

On a side note. I just wanted to show a game with massive deep ball swirls and what it takes to clean. I'm always working on around 5-7 fields at the same time. So this is another that is starting the process. Cleans up nice. Does it get it out 100% . No. It never will. But it's drastically reduced and passable. Only way to take it out 100% is to repaint it all. Which would require repainting the entire playfield. Which would cost like $3000 or more.

Total time to clean with Magic Eraser and rubbing alcohol.
Time: 6hr 10m

Before
before 004 (resized).jpgbefore 004 (resized).jpgbefore 003 (resized).jpgbefore 003 (resized).jpgbefore 002 (resized).jpgbefore 002 (resized).jpgbefore 001 (resized).jpgbefore 001 (resized).jpg

Half and half showing how much difference it makes.
half and half cleaning (resized).jpghalf and half cleaning (resized).jpg

Here is the final look all cleaned and ready for the touchup process. So i'm over 6 hrs in, and havn't even got to touch a brush to it.cleaned with ME (1) (resized).jpgcleaned with ME (1) (resized).jpgcleaned with ME (2) (resized).jpgcleaned with ME (2) (resized).jpgcleaned with ME (3) (resized).jpgcleaned with ME (3) (resized).jpgcleaned with ME (resized).jpgcleaned with ME (resized).jpg

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

... So i'm over 6 hrs in, and havn't even got to touch a brush to it.

But what a huge difference already! The Half and half picture is impressive.

#81 6 years ago

oh yea, it makes a huge difference. I burned through about 6 magic eraser pads through the process. Go slow and work little sections at a time. But after you do this. Most of your lacquer is removed from the surface and if you don't clearcoat it or protect it. It's going to be more fragile than you were before. Only when you have to go this deep. This field had a ton of ball swirls. really down in there.

#82 6 years ago

I'd love to see picture of this playfield after you touch it up and clear it.

#83 6 years ago

hello CaptainNeo - thanks for the very useful info and I'm encouraged that you use a brush for some of the paint application. Whenever I use a brush I can never seem to get the paint to lie as flat and even anywhere near as I can with airbrush. What's the trick - do I need to thin the paint alot or use certain kinds of paint to get an even film down or do certain types of brushes make this easier? Or certain brush movements?

#84 6 years ago

I use very fine bristle brushes. the finer the bristles the smoother it lays, but takes a long time to paint areas. my favorites to paint with are 0, 00, 000, and 0000. 000 I paint 80% of the playfield with. Also the thickness of the paint has a lot to do with this. my paint is about as thick as yogurt. Like real yogurt, not that premixed crap. Then when brushing. I go the same direction, sweeping motion..over and over slightly moving and overlapping with each stroke. Keep feathering it out. When I reload the brush, I start back into a part I already did, and feather out from there. Keeps the brush strokes to a minimum.

#85 6 years ago

The story behind this specific game is pretty cool. Love those nostalgia threads.

1 week later
#86 6 years ago

So here we have more block sanding, minor black touchups

1hr

Level 6 clear applied

40m

level 6 clear 007 (resized).jpglevel 6 clear 007 (resized).jpg

level 6 clear 001 (resized).jpglevel 6 clear 001 (resized).jpg

level 6 clear 002 (resized).jpglevel 6 clear 002 (resized).jpg

level 6 clear 003 (resized).jpglevel 6 clear 003 (resized).jpg

level 6 clear 004 (resized).jpglevel 6 clear 004 (resized).jpg

level 6 clear 005 (resized).jpglevel 6 clear 005 (resized).jpg

level 6 clear 006 (resized).jpglevel 6 clear 006 (resized).jpg

#87 6 years ago

MOre block sanding. More detailed touchups here or there.

1hr 30 min

Layer 7 clear

40 m

This should be the final layer. It looks really nice. Now I let it sit for a couple of days, sand out the little specks of crap that gets in the clear, and buff it out.

layer 7 clear final 001 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 001 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 002 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 002 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 003 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 003 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 011 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 011 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 004 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 004 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 006 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 006 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 007 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 007 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 005 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 005 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 008 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 008 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 010 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 010 (resized).jpg
layer 7 clear final 009 (resized).jpglayer 7 clear final 009 (resized).jpg

I noticed in the pictures right now, that the wood parts I brushed really stand out from the flash. They do not look like that in person. But the flash does reflect thing differently than natural lighting. I"ll try and get some pics of how it looks in person, when I post the final pictures. Which won't look much different than these.

#88 6 years ago

SO far we are at

36 Hours 15 min worth of time on this. My times might be off slightly, because there are times I forgot to write down my ending time on something, so I had to guess.

#89 6 years ago

I really appreciate the post. It's awesome to see the raw amount of artistry and work involved.

So what does a restore like this typically run? (forgive me for asking)....

#90 6 years ago

depending on the amount of detail needed, amount of color matching that needs to take place and all around work involved, which varies drastically from field to field. Level 3's can be from $900-1400 depending. Can be much less if it's a great starter. Level 2's are usually $300-400 less than level 3's.

#91 6 years ago

Given the amount of work it took this seems a very reasonable price to me. It became a true beauty.

#92 6 years ago

Will you be showing any more pics of the Seawitch pf progress?

#93 6 years ago

might not be as detailed as I didn't take pics of every step. Actually seawitch just got it's first layer of clear. I'm usually working on 4-6 fields at the same time, so i can shuffle which ones are ready for the spray booth, and which ones have touchups drying, or resting after clear.

#94 6 years ago

Never knew the cats were supposed to be "grainy" like that. Makes them a lot harder to repair, I'm sure. Looks great!

#96 6 years ago

CaptainNeo This really is a tremendous thread. Thanks for unselfishly sharing your approach and expertise!

1 week later
#97 6 years ago

So, total hourly time is 36 Hours 15 min of nonstop working on this field.

After subtracting expenses (clearcoat, freeze spray, ME, chemicals, sand paper ...ect.)

came out to about $12 per hour. Wayyyy better than it used to about 4 or 5 years ago, which was around $4 per hour.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

So, total hourly time is 36 Hours 15 min of nonstop working on this field.
After subtracting expenses (clearcoat, freeze spray, ME, chemicals, sand paper ...ect.)
came out to about $12 per hour. Wayyyy better than it used to about 4 or 5 years ago, which was around $4 per hour.

Truly a labor of more love than profit. I do appreciate you sharing your journey and talent with us! Thanks

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Level 3's can be from $900-1400 depending

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

came out to about $12 per hour.

So, this was a level 3 right..

$12/hr * 36 = $432 labor
Level 3 = $900 - 432 labor = $468 material cost
Or
$1400 - 432 = $968 material cost

I think your math is off in the labor per hour, because materials don't cost that much.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

So, this was a level 3 right..
$12/hr * 36 = $432 labor
Level 3 = $900 - 432 labor = $468 material cost
Or
$1400 - 432 = $968 material cost
I think your math is off in the labor per hour, because materials don't cost that much.

said they can be, not that they 100% are.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-playfield-restoration-step-by-step-walk-through/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.