(Topic ID: 1008)

A "Play with the Pros" panel or one-on-one sessions?

By jonnyo

14 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by jonnyo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

molly.jpg
    #1 14 years ago

I was just wondering what people think about a possible future shows
    feature.

I was envisioning a setup where all-comers can schedule say, a 20
    minute session with a tourney player to get one-on-one tips, advice,
    etc. to improve their play.

Is this something that would interest you?

#2 14 years ago

As long as she's hot, I'm always interested on a one on one session.

#3 14 years ago

Have you ever played with Molly? She's definitely cute. And wow, she can play! Top qualifier at PPE in the Novice Division.

Seriously, though, I'm talking about maybe having a pro give you tips and strats that can take you to the next level.

molly.jpgmolly.jpg

#4 14 years ago

I've been playing with some higher level players lately and I've vastly improved my ball times just by picking up on the little things they do.

#5 14 years ago

I think it would be cool. Especially if they watched me play and coached me by telling me what I'm doing wrong or could do better in that situation. Watching them play is a bonus.

#6 14 years ago

Learning from the pros is very cool.

A few years back, at California Extreme, Rick Stetta showed us his techniques to playing STTNG.

#7 14 years ago

drbond any special moves or things to be careful while playing STTNG?

#8 14 years ago

I'm pretty sure I learned very little. I was too busy watching Rick seemlessly avoid those notorious STTNG side drains with that little pinball dance he does.

#9 14 years ago

What magical land are you guys in that you are playing with pros and going to tournaments? The only person that plays pinball around here besides me is a local resturaunt owner, and he's not exactly someone you should be learning from...

#10 14 years ago

MAgical land of NJ - 3 tournaments coming up and a big show http://www.pinballwizardsconv.com/pastshows.html

#11 14 years ago

I think it would be cool. Especially if they watched me play and coached me by telling me what I'm doing wrong or could do better in that situation. Watching them play is a bonus.

----

Yes, exactly. That would be the idea. Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone.

#12 14 years ago

Yeah thats a cool idea -Molly looks classy to
    Some cat came over last year to look at a few pins of mine
    so of course we ended up playing all the pins that were set up
    I was amazed just how good he was - a wizard playing it off as a newbe.
    would be a kick to brush up on my skills, go to his joint and destroy him on his best table
    the way he did me on mine. maybe I'll buy that dvd

#13 14 years ago

If you mean pinball 101, it is quite good. I definitely recommend it.

In the Playing Tips forum I posted all the skills resources I've found so far on the web, but pinball 101 is probably the best one-stop-shop.

Anyway, the reason I was asking about this is because at shows it seems like many people are apprehensive about approaching the tourney guys, or don't see a good time to do it since they're busy qualifying. However, if there were a system in place it might change that.

#14 14 years ago

I'd approach the tourney ladies but not the guys. Anyway I think they would be better at helping me with ball technique.

You need an avatar jonnyo

#15 14 years ago

Well thats true....
    The shows I go to have a tournament area set aside but I always stay away,
    always figured when someone is playing for the record they wouldn't want some amateurs looking over his shoulder checking out his moves or adding any pressure ....
    ....but I bet if they had some overhead camera & big screen monitor set up they would be plenty of onlookers .

#16 14 years ago

Regarding the camera thing, I have an idea for that. I'm thinking of building something out of maybe pvc pipe. It would be like a tall hospital gurney. Then I have my home theater projector to project the game on a screen or wall. Ideally I would like to have two or even three cameras for this setup. One on the playfield, one on the player and one on the display.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-play-with-the-pros-panel-or-one-on-one-sessions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.