A pinball newbie gets a woz

By jimdahl

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I felt like I was polluting the "delivery schedule" thread with my own personal chatter, so thought I'd relocate it here where people who weren't interested could more easily skip it.

Background -- I worked in a bowling alley in the early 90s where I played a lot of pins of that era (Addams Family, STTNG, BSD, etc...) during the slow times. Never worked on them, though, they were contracted in. But, I did other mechanical stuff in the job, working on pinsetters and so forth.

Fast forward to 2013, I've been working a desk job for ages, don't change my own oil, etc... I read an article somewhere about a new company trying to revive pinball by creating "the next generation". I start doing some research, discovered pinside and start lurking, etc... In July 2013 I finally pulled the trigger and put down my woz deposit. Today it showed up.

I've never even opened the coin door of a pinball before, so think I have a pretty different perspective than most of the posters here. I've read a fair amount of controversy on this board about JJP trying to draw in buyers like me, so thought it might be interesting to post my reactions.

#2 9 years ago

Congrats, great game.

#3 9 years ago

Congrats. What an incredible first step into this hobby!

By the way, it's not just JJP that is now relying on individual purchasers. They are a much more significant portion of the pinball market today than in former years, when pins could be found in every bowling alley and laundromat.

#4 9 years ago

If you are going to start being a pinball collector/player go big . Great choice . Enjoy , Peace !!

#5 9 years ago

My first project was moving the posts on the outlanes (you guys have no idea how scary pulling out the glass and lifting the playfield is when you've never done it before -- I wondered if it was possible to do it wrong and if I was going to crush some toy or break some cable).

The post on the right was supereasy to move and gave me confidence. But the one on the left didn't seem to fit on the inner hole (moving the post in to make the slot smaller makes the game easier, right?, because the ball drains less?) -- the screw head overlapped with the plastic, but I managed to get it screwed down without breaking the plastic.

The funniest part was that on BOTH I managed to drop some parts and lose them on the bottom and have to find them. That proved to be the vast majority of time devoted to the project, especially when I lost the plastic housing for the left outlane post screw BEHIND the bank of round targets. I assume losing pieces in the cabinet will be happening to me for some time

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from jimdahl:

I assume losing pieces in the cabinet will be happening to me for some time

If you figure out how to work on one without dropping pieces let me know. The worst is under the playfield, and the screw will lodge itself into the cable harness. You'll swear it has evaporated.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from jimdahl:

I assume losing pieces in the cabinet will be happening to me for some time

I always try to lay a towel down in the cabinet when working with the screws.
If the screw makes it down to the bottom of the cabinet, Bam!, it sticks in the towel and does not have time to bounce under anything.

#8 9 years ago

It can help to lay a towel down to catch any small parts you drop. We all have lost screws, nuts, etc., that turned up months or years later.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from jimdahl:

My first project was moving the posts on the outlanes (you guys have no idea how scary pulling out the glass and lifting the playfield is when you've never done it before -- I wondered if it was possible to do it wrong and if I was going to crush some toy or break some cable).
The post on the right was supereasy to move and gave me confidence. But the one on the left didn't seem to fit on the inner hole (moving the post in to make the slot smaller makes the game easier, right?, because the ball drains less?) -- the screw head overlapped with the plastic, but I managed to get it screwed down without breaking the plastic.
The funniest part was that on BOTH I managed to drop some parts and lose them on the bottom and have to find them. That proved to be the vast majority of time devoted to the project, especially when I lost the plastic housing for the left outlane post screw BEHIND the bank of round targets. I assume losing pieces in the cabinet will be happening to me for some time

Welcome to the club. Don't worry, you'll drop a whole bunch of stuff into various nooks inside the pins, happens to all of us!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from jimdahl:

The post on the left (There is No Place Like Home - TiNPLH) area of the pin has bugged me as well. This thread explains how to move the post. note - I haven't done this yet, but still may help none the less.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tnplh-post-why-cant-i-move-it

#11 9 years ago

Congrats on your new woz...

If you decide to look for mods there's a bunch of guys on here selling some good ones.

#12 9 years ago

Congrats on your new pin. I am looking forward to your updates.

#13 9 years ago

Very curious on your 'initial impressions/thoughts' after a few days of playing... please post back.

#14 9 years ago

Congrats on your new pinball machine. I am very interested to hear your take on things being fresh to the hobby. At one point or another we all opened our first coin door and took off our first PF glass etc... It is a learning experience for sure. Very fun and satisfying in many different ways. Have fun and play pinball

1 week later
#15 9 years ago

I expected this thread to be focused on the journey of a new guy trying to do his own maintenance, but there's really not been much yet. Once it was set up and working, I had a problem with the audio (that pinchorama helped me figure out how to take off the backglass so I could reseat the cable -- thanks!) and the multiball arm (the one by the spinning house) let two balls out once. I searched the forums a bit and decided to wait until that becomes a more recurring problem before making adjustments. It's possible that something else is wrong and I just don't realize it because I don't understand the rules well enough, but no obvious mechanical failures.

Kids love the game. I had a Halloween party and it had huge lines all night long (it competed favorably among the 2-8 yo's with a bounce house, an xbox dance game, and mario kart). No way to know whether the reception would've been the same with any other pin, as I only have the one. But, they really seem drawn to it in a way I didn't expect. I thought the dads would all be standing around it, but we couldn't push our way in.

I do feel like it has a steeper learning curve than other games I've played. My only experience being 90s games, I remember playing games like Star Trek TNG and BSD and Addams Family, and you always knew exactly what to do -- the modes were very clearly announced, spelled out on the screen, and illuminated. I don't understand the WoZ rules yet and don't find that either the lcd or playfield lights dial me in, so pretty much just try to keep hitting accurate shots and hope that I'll enter a mode and score in it.

Even after a week, though, I'm starting to get good enough that I can look up at the screen and occasionally figure out what's going on or what shot to go for. But, no way a newbie who walked up to it in a bar would be able to do that. So far I consider that a bit of a weakness, but maybe it's the right balance -- newbs and children just love hitting the flippers and seeing the lights and toys and display, while experienced players and people who own them at home learn the rules and after some time appreciate it on a different level. I'll let you know once that time has passed

So far it's a huge hit in the house.

#16 9 years ago

One thing you may not know is getting status during the game. In between balls (before you launch it), you can hold down the flippers and get the status map. It shows you your progress and where you need to focus your attention.

#17 9 years ago

Jim, The munchkin ball lock adjustment is actually a setting. It doesn't need (normally) a physical adjustment. It's in the software settings of the game . Those adjustments vary on the pitch of the game. I recommend in woz the rear levelers be extended the whole way or near the whole way and the fronts in. Giving the game the greatest pitch. Try that then start tweaking the timing settings for that mech in software. . Also make sure the game is level left to right.

#18 9 years ago

Jim, give the flippers a look over too , make sure those hex screws are tight.

#19 9 years ago

Congrats on getting an awesome pinball. WOZ is so great. Thanks for posting and this is a great site to get feedback, ideas and helpful hints. I see you already even got a reply from a JJP employee!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Congrats on your new woz...
If you decide to look for mods there's a bunch of guys on here selling some good ones.

PLEASE don't push someone else down that path! Jim seems to be a guy who wants to PLAY pinball, rather thyan do the whole barbie-doll-dress-up thing.

Although, there is one *practical* mod I recommend highly for WOZ--the pinballbulbs light kit (http://pinballbulbs.com/products/wizard-oz-pinball-illumination-kit). It really makes the game much more playable by providing better illumination of the central playfield and flipper area.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If you figure out how to work on one without dropping pieces let me know. The worst is under the playfield, and the screw will lodge itself into the cable harness. You'll swear it has evaporated.

Magnetized nut drivers. I bought a set after what you described above happened to me. I spent more time looking for that one screw than I did replacing all of the GI bulbs at that time.

#22 9 years ago

I learned to be very careful not to drop something. Once you realize that a quick fix could turn into an hour long job with 3/4 of that time spent looking for what you dropped, you focus on not dropping anything. It happens though...

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

I learned to be very careful not to drop something. Once you realize that a quick fix could turn into an hour long job with 3/4 of that time spent looking for what you dropped, you focus on not dropping anything. It happens though...

Story of my pinball-fixing career.

#24 9 years ago

What I do is to not have more than one thing in my hand at one time, don't hold the nut you are putting on and the next two you have to install in the same hand, take your time and work like a surgeon

#25 9 years ago

After you despair that a screw you dropped will never be seen again, replace it and then every week or two check the speaker magnet. Sometimes metal parts migrate there.

#26 9 years ago

I moved both outlane posts too, when doing the left by TNPLH, I had to move the ball guild slightly with it (there is a hole for that too). If that is still a prob let us know. Congrats on the game, we are nearly in the same boat (pin newb, got my TSPP right b4 picking up the woz)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
13,000 (OBO)
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pinball-newbie-gets-a-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.