5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5179000_std.jpg
    aliens-meme.jpeg
    Copy of bbbbbbbb2.JPG
    Copy of bbbbbbbb3.JPG
    bbbbbbbb4.JPG
    bbbbbbbb5.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I went out to do my errands yesterday morning, was gone for several hours. When I came home I went down to the lower level to put some things away I turn on the lights and what do I see? I see this ( see below pics,) What happened ? more to how did this happen ?

I live with only my wife and dog, she was with me and the dog was in her crate. no one comes over to play when I am away.
    Nobody has even played this particular machine for some time yet here is the glass in pieces all over and no one was here. What happened ? Have anyone of my fellow pinheads come home to something like this ?
    The glass was not bound up or torqued out of shape, if went in and out with ease in this machine.

Just wanted opinions and to see if I should call Ghost Busters to figure this one out.

Brian Lenker
    Madison hts MI

bbbbbbbb5.JPG bbbbbbbb4.JPG Copy of bbbbbbbb3.JPG Copy of bbbbbbbb2.JPG
    #2 5 years ago

Temperature change or sound. I'd call gottlieb and complain and ask for a new playfield glass.

LTG : )™

#3 5 years ago

Time to fire up the ShopVac. Odd, I would guess temperature too.

#4 5 years ago

Like others say, maybe temp? I live not to far from you….perhaps humidity? It got pretty humid here the past couple of days with all this rain. I don't recall any earthquakes? Sorry about your luck

#5 5 years ago

Tempered glass contains alot of internal stress. If there are and scratches on the glass or any chips on the edge or corner, it can pop on it's own. If the temperature changes rapidly or it is flexed it can be just enough to make it pop. I saw a post by someone on Pinside a while back where their backglass exploded in the game with nobody around.

-- Shawn

#6 5 years ago

Poltergeists!

#7 5 years ago

Temperature fluctuations or stress fracture just broke loose.

#8 5 years ago

COE
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion

add time and inherent internal stress and a little bad luck = POP
    Basically, glass is not as uniform as you may think. Old and poorly made and tempered glass even worse. Over years, the internal stresses built up to the point that a temperature fluctuation (even minor) and slight imperfections in the glass meant different COEs in portions of the sheet. This was the final "straw" and physics took over.

#9 5 years ago

Is there a heating vent above the pin? That's strange...a ball can slam the glass and raise the dead, but not break the glass. Then the glass breaks by itself. Sorry that happened to you. John

#10 5 years ago

Did something drop???

#11 5 years ago

Its not one that I sold you...So I am off the hook.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Did something drop???

Really?

#13 5 years ago

What else would happen???

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Did something drop???

I think a Super Squishy fell on it. "Stupid Gravity!" Homer

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

What else would happen???

Airball from the insanity falls ramp, perhaps.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Did something drop???

Yeah all that glass dropped. Look carefully, you can see it in the pictures

#17 5 years ago

Aliens!

#18 5 years ago

Holy Hell....that is an odd one. I would just make the wife go to the grocery store from now on........

#19 5 years ago

This happens all the time, must have been a comet. go to the 8.17 minute mark.

Your Momma!

#20 5 years ago

Just some scratch that finally did the glass in.

The interior of a house will never have enough temp swing to break tempered glass on it's own.

#21 5 years ago

#22 5 years ago

"It's the Cat!"

#23 5 years ago

Wow....been around pins all my life and have never encountered that, but I have sure had a few discentigrate in my hands for now apparent reason, like many others here I'm sure! Hard to get all the glass out! You will see little pieces come out of nowhere for a while when you play it. Sorry....a bummer for sure but at least it is fixable. I would be freaked out to come home to that. Better that than the backglass.

#24 5 years ago

Happened to me once on a Gottlieb Circus. Can guarantee there was no temperature fluctuation on mine. Just happened....

#25 5 years ago

Polterglass? Divisiglass? Temperedmental glass?

#26 5 years ago

The final stressor that caused this was due to a change in temperature. That IS the correct answer.

I am talking a completely normal temparture shift in a climate controlled area. It does not take anything crazy when a sheet of glass has years of microfractures and other internal stress. This is extremely rare to get to the break point and have it happen by coefficient of expansion forces with normal temp fluctuation, but assuming nobody messed with this game and it was spontaneous, I have explained the correct answer already. Unless you don't understand or believe in science...

#27 5 years ago

When we closed up shop, we threw about 100 sheets of playfield glass in the dumpster.

About 20% of them were either not tempered at all, or were only partially tempered.

I was surprised.

#28 5 years ago

Happened to me last weekend.

Just started pulling my X-men Glass out, maybe 5", and Boom! A million pieces everywhere!
    Out to the other room, under all games....3 hours to Vacuum up, and 3 band aids!

#29 5 years ago

I'm careful when pulling the glass, but it's kind of scary to envision the glass shattering in my hands or just going on it's own.

Can latching the lock bar too tight cause a stress shatter?

#30 5 years ago

The bloke on the surf champ back glass who wiped out, landed on this !

#31 5 years ago

5179000_std.jpg

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Happened to me last weekend.
    Just started pulling my X-men Glass out, maybe 5", and Boom! A million pieces everywhere!
    Out to the other room, under all games....3 hours to Vacuum up, and 3 band aids!

That is exactly why I use the latex coated non slip gloves EVERY TIME to handle my glass.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 89.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Bright
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 80.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside