Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PapaJohn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How long until my wife notices the additional game in the basement?”

• 24 hours 16 votes
      33%
    • One week 22 votes
      45%
    • More than one week 11 votes
      22%

(49 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1097_(Custom).JPG
    DSC_8806_(Custom).JPG
    DSC_8807_(Custom).JPG
    DSC_7657_(Custom).JPG
    #1 11 years ago

The theory: After you get a certain number of games, they basically become background noise. Your spouse knows you have a lot, but they lose track and even lose interest in how many. As long as you keep some semblance of order, they won't notice another machine sneaking into the lineup.

I added The Getaway to my basement lineup this afternoon. My wife knows I have this game, it has been in the garage for a week. So I'm not trying to get away with anything. I wasn't planning on putting it in the basement, but a few days ago I took measurements and realized it would fit. So I decided to add it and see how long it takes my wife to notice.

We will be having a New Year's party here, so she's bound to find out by the 31st. So I'm not give a poll choice greater than over two weeks. If it weren't for New Year's, I'd give the option of one month.

An idea of what it looked like before (old photo):

DSC_7657_(Custom).JPGDSC_7657_(Custom).JPG

How it looks now:

DSC_8807_(Custom).JPGDSC_8807_(Custom).JPG

#2 11 years ago

Its only temporary as she will eventually notice the next one or the next one.

#3 11 years ago

lol, my wife was standing next to a new one of 3 days (Congo) and turned to Monster Bash and said "Oh you got a new one". I had MB for over a year.

#4 11 years ago

if she doesnt play them, might take a few days

#5 11 years ago

you could always sell me your AFM or TZ. I'm right down the street Happy wife, happy neighbor.

#6 11 years ago

Well, you could act surprised and say how in the heck did Santa get this down the chimney, if she doesn't notice?

#7 11 years ago

The absence of money in the bank is more evident than the presence of pinball in the basement!

#8 11 years ago

The absence of money in the bank is more evident than the presence of pinball in the basement!

That's why we deal with cash!

She didn't even make it into the basement tonight, so I'll cut you 24 hour guessers some slack. BTW, here's a photo of the "background noise."

DSC_8806_(Custom).JPGDSC_8806_(Custom).JPG DSCN1097_(Custom).JPGDSCN1097_(Custom).JPG

#9 11 years ago

My wife couldn't tell you how many pins we own if you put a gun to her head (but please don't do that!).

#10 11 years ago

I tried to sneak my RFM in on my wife, but she got home while my brother and his kids were standing around, ogling it.

She was like... "WTF is that?? Where did you get it????"

It looks different enough from the traditional pins that she was sure to notice, in retrospect.

#11 11 years ago

she will notice straight away, but she will only tell you one week later. to make it look she doesn't care lol

#12 11 years ago

She's been in the basement a couple times today and she just walked past it. No comments.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

My wife knows I have this game, it has been in the garage for a week. So I'm not trying to get away with anything.

Darn. This would be a better experiment if she didn't know you even bought it .

#14 11 years ago

Mine would notice straight away but I don't have as many.

#15 11 years ago

You better fill the empty spot in the garage before she notices!

#16 11 years ago

Almost got busted at a Christmas party this afternoon. Someone asked about the games and she turned to me and said, "How many do we have in the basement?" I hemmed and hawed and was about to fess up and she said, "We have room in the basement for eight but we don't have that many in there right now."

We have nine.

1 week later
    #17 11 years ago

I don't know whether to call my pin experiment complete or not. She hasn't said anything about The Getaway being in the basement. This morning I was playing it and she stood there and watched for a little bit. She didn't say anything. So I don't know if she noticed it was an addition and doesn't care, or if she noticed the game but hasn't counted how many there are. I'll wait until New Year's to say anything and see if she has it figured out.

#18 11 years ago

If you have games in more than one location, say in storage or at a friend's house, just shuttling them around can give the impression that a new game has been purchased.

Just this past week my wife inquired about a game I had setup to shop out, a Silver Slugger. First question, "Where did this come from?" "Storage area" was my reply and it was true, only the game has been in the basement at least three months. Her reply, "So, when did you buy this one?" in an accusatory tone. "2004, I think", I said. "Oh, okay" she says almost in a whisper. "Isn't this the game you just sold?" "No, that was a Cactus Jacks, they are both yellow." Hmm, so she did notice that one, so I make a mental note about buying games of similar color She would immediately notice if I sold anything she likes to play, that much I know.

If you have a lot of games, they can look like the wallpaper after a while.

Brian Bannon

#19 11 years ago

I'm going in and count my wife's shoes right now...

#20 11 years ago

hilarious...

#22 11 years ago

The answer is approximately two weeks. She was playing Getaway today so I asked her if she knew how many games were in the basement. Without thinking about it or having to count, she said nine. I asked when she noticed there were nine instead of eight and she said a day or two ago.

#23 11 years ago

Great entertaining thread!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pinball-experiement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.